PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Where would you rather have the State Championships? ATT or NRG or Alamodone?

slingshot
12-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Just so speedbump can calm down, LOL! :rolleyes: ... let's settle it once and for all. Which stadium would you prefer the UIL have the Football State Championship games at--ATT/Cowboys Stadium in Arlington or NRG/Texans Stadium in Houston or The Alamodome in San Antonio?

hollywood
12-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Just so speedbump can calm down... let's settle it once and for all. Which stadium would you prefer the UIL have the Football State Championship games at--ATT/Cowboys Stadium in Arlington or NRG/Texans Stadium in Houston or The Alamodome in San Antonio?

Where’s the poll?

AT&T, easy pick. Even if we lived in Houston, Jerry World is about as good as it gets.

panfan
12-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Just so speedbump can calm down, LOL! :rolleyes: ... let's settle it once and for all. Which stadium would you prefer the UIL have the Football State Championship games at--ATT/Cowboys Stadium in Arlington or NRG/Texans Stadium in Houston or The Alamodome in San Antonio?

should have added rotating.....:smoker:

sk1
12-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Rotating schedule should have been on the poll

Roughneck93
12-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Rotate!

speedbump
12-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Where is the option for a rotation ??????????????? That's what I've been screaming for. You know - doing the right thing for the entire state.

sk1
12-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I don't think I can add an option to this poll without it losing the votes already cast.
I can delete thread and we can start over??

speedbump
12-07-2017, 06:47 PM
I don't think I can add an option to this poll without it losing the votes already cast.
I can delete thread and we can start over??

Won't matter. This board has far more DFW area posters than Houston or San Antonio. If you could poll the entire states schools (all of them)....

d0tc0m
12-07-2017, 06:55 PM
So, just curious, Speedbump, if it’s going to be fair ‘for the entire state,’ what are all the sites you think should be included in the rotation?

speedbump
12-07-2017, 07:04 PM
So, just curious, Speedbump, if it’s going to be fair ‘for the entire state,’ what are all the sites you think should be included in the rotation?

The UIL has said they want a roof and turf so that limits it to the big three I suppose. The capacity would come into play too I suppose.

Old Green
12-07-2017, 07:15 PM
A rotating tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orange machine
12-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Alamodome and Reliant are trash

speedbump
12-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Jesus tell you that?

d0tc0m
12-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Jesus tell you that?

Mods are gonna have to settle this ol’ boy down.

d0tc0m
12-07-2017, 08:00 PM
The UIL has said they want a roof and turf so that limits it to the big three I suppose. The capacity would come into play too I suppose.

Well that doesn’t seem very fair to the entire state.

hollywood
12-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Won't matter. This board has far more DFW area posters than Houston or San Antonio. If you could poll the entire states schools (all of them)....

I’m not sure about that. It would be hard to tell. I bet there are a lot of STX posters that just read and never comment. It’s once in a pink moon that a STX team makes it north anyway. :taunt:

speedbump
12-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Well that doesn’t seem very fair to the entire state.

Light years closer than ATT only. Where would you play them?

d0tc0m
12-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Light years closer than ATT only. Where would you play them?

Personally? Having seen a game - not necessarily a state title game - at all the aforementioned stadiums, AT&T is certainly the best, but it’s kind of splitting hairs to me. But if I had to pick one, that particular one would get my vote. I’m also perfectly content with a rotation, although, I’d leave the Alamo Dome out of the conversation and just go between Arlington and Houston. But like a Cuero poster said, I don’t give a rip where the game is played if Celina is playing in it.

Truth be told, though, I miss the old days when the teams decided on a neutral site to play the game. And you might be the only team playing at that site, so everything wasn’t so regimented, and rigid and rushed to stay on some schedule. Teams - and their fans - had plenty of time to celebrate and take pictures on the field after it was all said and done.

orange machine
12-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Jesus tell you that?

No he was to busy eating burritos at the local taco stand.

lostaussie
12-07-2017, 08:21 PM

DONT EVA......call me DFW!!! Lololol

lostaussie
12-07-2017, 08:23 PM

That wasn't nice.

speedbump
12-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Truth be told, though, I miss the old days when the teams decided on a neutral site to play the game. And you might be the only team playing at that site, so everything wasn’t so regimented, and rigid and rushed to stay on some schedule. Teams - and their fans - had plenty of time to celebrate and take pictures on the field after it was all said and done.

I agree with all of that 100% I couldn't care less about fancy stadiums and all the hype. Left alone,the people running things now,will eventually turn our HS Championships into a week long run of the same manure the SB has become.

lostaussie
12-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Here is my thoughts for what they worth. If it's in DFW I might and have gone to games where my team isn't playing. That can be said for thousands of fans.

If my team is playing.......I'll drive my F150 to Mexico City if that is what it takes.

Never been to Alamodome or NRG. Won't say they are better than ATT because I don't know. But I do know this......if P4S will drive to ATT, and she has, and say it's better. I am a believer.

orange machine
12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
That wasn't nice.

It's just an opinion. Ok it's not very nice stadiums.

d0tc0m
12-07-2017, 08:41 PM
I agree with all of that 100% I couldn't care less about fancy stadiums and all the hype. Left alone,the people running things now,will eventually turn our HS Championships into a week long run of the same manure the SB has become.

Look at us having a fun, civil discussion and even finding some common ground. Let’s make this go viral, people!

speedbump
12-07-2017, 08:46 PM
It's just an opinion. Ok it's not very nice stadiums.

"it's not very nice stadiums" :spitlol:

orange machine
12-07-2017, 08:52 PM
"it's not very nice stadiums" :spitlol:

Been a long day.

d0tc0m
12-07-2017, 08:56 PM

And your last sentence hits the nail on the head for me, speed. Maybe I’m just nostalgic, or too sentimental, or whatever, but the whole spectacle it’s all become has a sort of innocence lost feeling to me. I just miss the sort of raw, unbridled pageantry of the way it used to be. It felt a little more special to me. But, anyway, I digress ...

speedbump
12-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Look at us having a fun, civil discussion and even finding some common ground. Let’s make this go viral, people!

We are the only ones that know what the discussion is about. The kids in the back think it's about who has the prettiest stadium.

Ville-D
12-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Alamodome would be nice if they opened up the beer garden like the do for the state basketball tournament.

ogg
12-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Cowboy stadium baby!

regaleagle
12-07-2017, 10:42 PM
There's plenty of quality football being played all around the Houston area to San Antonio and Central Texas to consider a rotation with Reliant. Not sure about Alamodome with the parking issues.....but it's certainly big enough and UTSA plays their home games there. Reliant dropped the ball when they sponsored it, but it takes a few times to get the fans attending and some experience running the schedules.

cougartino
12-08-2017, 01:58 AM
I moved to Dallas from Houston in 2015 so Arlington is ideal logistically. Funny that year I still had to drive 250 to see the games. I also noticed if there are fewer Dallas area teams playing, Dallas fans won't travel down like Houston fans will upwardly. Now if somehow they could take the downtown San Antonio atmosphere, combine it with the street layout near Reliant and the amenities of AT&T Stadium, then we're cooking!

WOS87
12-08-2017, 04:06 AM
We’ve won at both AT&T and NRG. I obviously would much prefer NRG as it’s an hour and 45 minutes away compared to 6 hours going north.

oldtownag
12-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Arlington makes the most sense for the following reasons:

1. UIL likes AT&T because Jerry gives them a deal.
2. NRG is so very far for West Texas teams.
3. Alamodome is not as nice.
4. Attendance is strong with population density around DFW.

Bottom line is that a rotation could work but NRG and Alamodome are going to have to come on board with the low rent!

speedbump
12-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Rotflmao

waterboy
12-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Arlington makes the most sense for the following reasons:

1. UIL likes AT&T because Jerry gives them a deal.
2. NRG is so very far for West Texas teams.
3. Alamodome is not as nice.
4. Attendance is strong with population density around DFW.

Bottom line is that a rotation could work but NRG and Alamodome are going to have to come on board with the low rent!

Essentially the same thing I've said about it. If others want NRG and the Alamodome to be considered, or in a rotation, they need to get to work on low rent and accommodations.

Honestly, it's much closer for me to travel to AT&T, and to me it's the nicest stadium out of the three, but I would travel ANYWHERE if my team were playing for a state championship.

cowboyandchrist
12-08-2017, 11:46 AM
No brainer, AT&T is the only place to have it.
Houston traffic enough said.
San Antonio why.
When some say to make it fair, it has always been flip and argue. Not anymore.

DogGob
12-08-2017, 11:48 AM
AT&T
Yearly attendance confirms why.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 12:11 PM
AT&T
Yearly attendance confirms why.

Why? What has attendance got to do with it?

BwdLion73
12-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Why? What has attendance got to do with it?

I would guess attendance would be one of the measuring sticks used in determining playoff locations. Do you feel that it has nothing to do with it?

rb585
12-08-2017, 12:48 PM
As far of ease of drive from my house:

Alamodome (easy)
NRG (pretty easy, until you hit Katy)
Jerryworld (long, soul-crushing drive on I-35)

And I still think it should be in Jerryworld, every year.

rb585
12-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I moved to Dallas from Houston in 2015 so Arlington is ideal logistically. Funny that year I still had to drive 250 to see the games. I also noticed if there are fewer Dallas area teams playing, Dallas fans won't travel down like Houston fans will upwardly.

???

The only Dallas area teams playing that year were a brand new 5A Mansfield school, Argyle, and Celina, and Celina had more of a crowd than WOS.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 12:54 PM
I would guess attendance would be one of the measuring sticks used in determining playoff locations. Do you feel that it has nothing to do with it?

Attendance is another way to say money. That's not what HS sports should be about. The greedy and selfish people will turn it into the same pathetic cesspool of commercial drek they turn everything else into. Students, and Fans of the teams involved are the only attendance I'm concerned with and the opportunity to attend should be the same for all. That's not close to the case without rotating.

DogGob
12-08-2017, 01:00 PM
UIL is all about the $$$. Plus, Jerry Jones likes ho$ting, so that combo will keep the championships at AT&T for awhile. It is an amazing, well run venue. Love it.

cougartino
12-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Exactly my point. Had there been more Dallas area schools the fans would have travelled.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 01:03 PM
???

The only Dallas area teams playing that year were a brand new 5A Mansfield school, Argyle, and Celina, and Celina had more of a crowd than WOS.

Yea, we heard all the excuses before. The truth is - whaaaa, whaaa, it's too far and me don't like traffic, mommy. LOL

rb585
12-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Yea, we heard all the excuses before. The truth is - whaaaa, whaaa, it's too far and me don't like traffic, mommy. LOL

You seem to be illiterate. There were no 6A schools from the Dallas area. The 4A schools traveled really well.

slingshot
12-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Interesting comments... think I stirred up a hornet's nest! :stirpot:
As for me? I hate the current way the UIL does it--I personally preferred it when the schools chose a neutral site. When the teams have been playing since early November in cold weather at outdoor venues then to change to a cavernous air conditioned 80,000 seat stadium just does not feel right. The kids are sweating and hot after being conditioned to colder weather, the place looks deserted even it you have a crowd of 30,000 and the locations are in no way fair to teams from the northwestern half of the state. Should Canadien have to drive 10+ hours each way to watch their team play someone who may have to drive 45 minutes? No way. I know my opinion (nor anyone else in my part of the state) does not matter to the UIL. One thing matters and one thing only... $$$

speedbump
12-08-2017, 01:31 PM
You seem to be illiterate. There were no 6A schools from the Dallas area. The 4A schools traveled really well.

I just told you we heard the excuses already. Most were easily shot down. Bottom line is - DFW didn't travel well. Excuses are worthless.

waterboy
12-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Interesting comments... think I stirred up a hornet's nest! :stirpot:
As for me? I hate the current way the UIL does it--I personally preferred it when the schools chose a neutral site. When the teams have been playing since early November in cold weather at outdoor venues then to change to a cavernous air conditioned 80,000 seat stadium just does not feel right. The kids are sweating and hot after being conditioned to colder weather, the place looks deserted even it you have a crowd of 30,000 and the locations are in no way fair to teams from the northwestern half of the state. Should Canadien have to drive 10+ hours each way to watch their team play someone who may have to drive 45 minutes? No way. I know my opinion (nor anyone else in my part of the state) does not matter to the UIL. One thing matters and one thing only... $$$

That's the price to pay to get TV exposure. I agree it was much more fair when the two teams playing decided, though.

oldtownag
12-08-2017, 01:36 PM

Pointing out the obvious. You seem to be crying the loudest.

d0tc0m
12-08-2017, 01:38 PM
That's the price to pay to get TV exposure. I agree it was much more fair when the two teams playing decided, though.

You guys are living in Dec. 8, 2017. Me and Speedbump been living there since Dec. 7, 2017.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Pointing out the obvious. You seem to be crying the loudest.

I'm crying for kids and fans of HS all over the state of Texas. You and people like you cry selfishly about your own situation and only your own.

waterboy
12-08-2017, 01:55 PM
You guys are living in Dec. 8, 2017. Me and Speedbump been living there since Dec. 7, 2017.

You and speedbump share a house or something? What you be talkin' 'bout?

speedbump
12-08-2017, 02:23 PM
You and speedbump share a house or something? What you be talkin' 'bout?

We had already agreed that the teams involved should decide. You live with us now.

db8coach
12-08-2017, 02:23 PM
I wonder how many people that are screaming for "rotation" would be good with the Sun Bowl in that mix?

waterboy
12-08-2017, 02:31 PM
We had already agreed that the teams involved should decide. You live with us now.

Gotcha. Now, go get some groceries up in here and make me a sammich. :D

waterboy
12-08-2017, 02:32 PM
I wonder how many people that are screaming for "rotation" would be good with the Sun Bowl in that mix?

Ouch!

speedbump
12-08-2017, 02:33 PM

All of them. I wonder how many of the DFW bunch would be in love with one venue if it was 4 to 6 hundred miles fro their back yard.

db8coach
12-08-2017, 02:42 PM
I'd be all for rotation...throw Ratliff stadium and the Sun Bowl...and somewhere down in the far valley on the list of rotation. Let other parts of the state be able to watch the State games live.

lostaussie
12-08-2017, 02:55 PM
I always liked the neutral site too.......unless it was freaking Waco. But I also like the ability to watch more than one Championship game. I have the 22nd circled. Gobbler Green and Bulldog Red

d0tc0m
12-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Gotcha. Now, go get some groceries up in here and make me a sammich. :D

Namaste!

WOS87
12-08-2017, 03:49 PM
I have the 22nd circled. Gobbler Green and Bulldog Red

:fnypost:

lostaussie
12-08-2017, 03:53 PM
:fnypost:

I know:D

Roughneck93
12-08-2017, 04:18 PM

If it were in the mix, I’d be ok with that.

rb585
12-08-2017, 04:53 PM

I know one group that wouldn't -- the coaches.

The coaches overwhelmingly want the state championship games played indoors.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2017, 04:54 PM
But I also like the ability to watch more than one Championship game. I have the 22nd circled. Gobbler Green and Bulldog Red

This right here...I think you all know G and I will go all over the state for games but it is so awesome to have all the games in one place so I do not miss a game because I have to pick between multiple great games.

And everyone saying it is all about money and it does not feel right...Well coaches and players LOVE it. Championship week atmosphere is basically how they view it. They love the pomp and circumstance and being on TV. One 3A coach told me once it made their program feel like a big time program the whole week.

That is better than maybe a 4A game in East Texas..while the other 4A game is in Waco and neither have that buzz and excitement outside of their own fan base.

I know fans here in Dallas that are fans of smaller teams in other parts of the state now because they saw them live and I know fans who became fans of other teams because they saw them on TV.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 05:14 PM
This right here...I think you all know G and I will go all over the state for games but it is so awesome to have all the games in one place so I do not miss a game because I have to pick between multiple great games.

And everyone saying it is all about money and it does not feel right...Well coaches and players LOVE it. Championship week atmosphere is basically how they view it. They love the pomp and circumstance and being on TV. One 3A coach told me once it made their program feel like a big time program the whole week.

That is better than maybe a 4A game in East Texas..while the other 4A game is in Waco and neither have that buzz and excitement outside of their own fan base.

I know fans here in Dallas that are fans of smaller teams in other parts of the state now because they saw them live and I know fans who became fans of other teams because they saw them on TV.

All of that works in a rotation.

rb585
12-08-2017, 05:23 PM

I said this in another thread...

We won state in 2005 in Waco (2 hours away) on a Saturday night. We probably had 2000 fans at the game.

We won state in 2011 in Jerryworld (minimum 4.5 hours away) on a Friday afternoon. We probably had close to 5000 residents make the drive.

And we drove 4.5 hours to play a team that was only had to drive 30 minutes. You know what? No one cared!

rb585
12-08-2017, 05:25 PM
All of them. I wonder how many of the DFW bunch would be in love with one venue if it was 4 to 6 hundred miles fro their back yard.

I understand your aversion to Jerryworld, seeing as how El Campo gave up 70 points in their lone appearance there, but you need to understand that there are a lot of people who would rather drive further to play there.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2017, 05:25 PM
All of that works in a rotation.

I would love a rotation.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I understand your aversion to Jerryworld, seeing as how El Campo gave up 70 points in their lone appearance there, but you need to understand that there are a lot of people who would rather drive further to play there.

Has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Stephenville had a great team and the EC kids and fans loved every minute of the experience,except of course for the loss. Would be great to do it again only at NRG so more of our kids and fans could enjoy it the next time. Sville had their turn at home. I know this stuff about fairness is like horror a story for you,but try harder and I'm sure you can grow into it. Otherwise just keep grasping for straws.

So - now football : Do you think Wimberly will beat Cuero?

speedbump
12-08-2017, 07:03 PM
I would love a rotation.

Well - you guys have mouths and surely more opportunity than most to be heard by Elza and the rest. If a few energy drinks can't get it done at least tell her to give me a call. I'd love discuss her excuses with her. LOL

Weebe
12-08-2017, 07:17 PM

Congrats on being a dickhead.

speedbump
12-08-2017, 07:26 PM

Jerry Jones bobble head may be more accurate.

lostaussie
12-08-2017, 08:06 PM

:doh:

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2017, 11:16 PM
AT&T is (marginally) nicer than NRG. They’re both nicer than the Alamodome.

I would prefer a rotation, simply because NRG is really close, and SA is half as far as AT&T for me.

I understand the ppl who prefer aT&T and I also get the attendance thing in the lone sample, but NRG really hasn’t been given a real chance to compare against.

Bottom line, if I lived closer to dfw, I would prefer AT&T too.

I don’t think fans and players care too much about the distance. If my team is playing, I’m there no matter where it is. It’s the casual fan who has no dog in the hunt who has to decide on driving or not

stardog
12-09-2017, 03:00 AM
I picked Alamodome - is 99 miles
NRG is 209 miles
AT&T is 185 miles

Alamodome is closest - would be least expensive - possibly take in 1 all day of games of 4A - could drive to in the am - take someone with me to drive home (while I sleep).

Been once to AT&T- had nephew on Georgetown Eagles team in 4A final. Rode a charter bus from Georgetown to stadium, they played first game, watched it, 2nd game, about half of last game - had to leave, bus had TV, so watch rest of that game. It was all OUTSTANDING !!!!!

I know there are those that would go no matter where - who was playing, or what it cost and a few would take them all in .

If my team was in the final and it was rotated - would probably be at farthest away that year, but I would go.

Doesn't really matter to me where they are played if on TV.

Years ago many games played in the Austin area. That worked great for me. Got to see the Austin Reagan SC games a couple of times. One was against the great Odessa Permian teams.