PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill vs Waco La Vega - The Road To Arlington

LHPfactory
12-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Here we go for the Region IV Finals (State Quarter Finals for us old folk).

Liberty Hill fell short during the first meeting 33-18, but the tale of the tape showed how close this game really was.

I firmly believe that Liberty Hill will win this round, the intangibles with this bunch make the difference.

Bosqueville
12-03-2017, 04:17 PM
La Vega defense is the difference maker.

solocam
12-03-2017, 06:06 PM
La Vega Defense is great,defense wins chaampionships,Pirates move to next round

Rabid Cougar
12-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Unlike CS and LH, LV plays D and plays it well.

LHAG
12-03-2017, 11:19 PM

LH plays good D on the line and to the second level but when we get deep in the secondary we suck on technique! Safeties have been watching too much D1 and Pro games , but haven't learned to look back and up when the receiver starts tracking the ball. Many times this year they have been hit in the back (or once in the helmet) while defending. Tackling technique also sucks. Coaches need to teach the entire defense how to wrap up a tackle.

Guys it hurts no more than making contact and missing when they brush you off. Hit 'em and wrap them up! Try it, you'll like it!

panfan
12-04-2017, 08:29 AM
LH plays good D on the line and to the second level but when we get deep in the secondary we suck on technique! Safeties have been watching too much D1 and Pro games , but haven't learned to look back and up when the receiver starts tracking the ball. Many times this year they have been hit in the back (or once in the helmet) while defending. Tackling technique also sucks. Coaches need to teach the entire defense how to wrap up a tackle.

Guys it hurts no more than making contact and missing when they brush you off. Hit 'em and wrap them up! Try it, you'll like it!

I'll add, when you are not as big as your opponent you have to tackle low, going high on these big guys simply won't work. LH found some defense this past week. They find the rest of it, and we have a real shot at La Vega.

panfan
12-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Damn i hate when he is right.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Damnit I can't make this one. Got a feeling it's going to be another classic like last week.

panfan
12-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Here we go for the Region IV Finals (State Quarter Finals for us old folk).

Liberty Hill fell short during the first meeting 33-18, but the tale of the tape showed how close this game really was.

I firmly believe that Liberty Hill will win this round, the intangibles with this bunch make the difference.

Factory - what game were you watching? I was running the chains that game and what I saw was them take their foot off the gas about midway 3rd quarter. I want our team to win as much as anybody, but in the end, if we can't tackle and that was I saw a lot of being missed, then we will end up in the same predicament. I suggest our guys spend the week watching Colton Cunninghams game films - kid was a shoe string tackler all day long, because he wasn't the biggest or strongest, but it was damn effective. My guy just went hi and over powered them, and he is finding out now that they are just and big and strong if not stronger than he is. LH plays disciplined defense, makes tackles, and doesn't let the La Vega speed guys run all over the place, and we have a better than average shot at taking a W in this game. Walker is going to have to open the playbook wide open and even draw up some new stuff - La Vega D is good, damn good and we can't get by on up the gut runs, they are too big and too fast. We can out smart them, and that is where the offense is going to have to shine. Any time we get close, we have to put points on the board, whether it be a TD or FG, but we can't come away empty. The intangibles here will be for LH to tackle and wrap up, not let their speed guys run wild and Coach Walker pulling our some of that offensive genius and out smarting a very good defense.

LHPfactory
12-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Factory - what game were you watching? I was running the chains that game and what I saw was them take their foot off the gas about midway 3rd quarter. I want our team to win as much as anybody, but in the end, if we can't tackle and that was I saw a lot of being missed, then we will end up in the same predicament. I suggest our guys spend the week watching Colton Cunninghams game films - kid was a shoe string tackler all day long, because he wasn't the biggest or strongest, but it was damn effective. My guy just went hi and over powered them, and he is finding out now that they are just and big and strong if not stronger than he is. LH plays disciplined defense, makes tackles, and doesn't let the La Vega speed guys run all over the place, and we have a better than average shot at taking a W in this game. Walker is going to have to open the playbook wide open and even draw up some new stuff - La Vega D is good, damn good and we can't get by on up the gut runs, they are too big and too fast. We can out smart them, and that is where the offense is going to have to shine. Any time we get close, we have to put points on the board, whether it be a TD or FG, but we can't come away empty. The intangibles here will be for LH to tackle and wrap up, not let their speed guys run wild and Coach Walker pulling our some of that offensive genius and out smarting a very good defense.

I watched the game and the HUDL afterward. Panfan, WLV never let off the gas by any means, LV was only up 19-10 going into the 4th quarter, its crazy to say they let off the gas midway through the 3rd quarter, because the 4th was their biggest scoring quarter ie: LV= Q1=6, Q2=6, Q3=7, Q4=14.
They outscored us 12-3 in the first half (We were in the redzone 4 times, one gave them the 98 yard fumble return)
They only outscored us 21-15 in the second half with our 3rd Quarter lull.

I dont know what you saw from the chains, but it certainly wasnt what I saw from the stands or HUDL afterward. You may be mistaking our 4th quarter surge for WLV taking their foot off the gas, Finishing games is something we havent done in a very long time but we are now, One problem we do have is We have seen this LH bunch lull in the 3rd, but are very strong in the 4th. We need a good 3rd Quarter to match our 1, 2, and 4th this week.

As far as tackling goes:
- They showed improvement vs CS last week, holding the Cougars to their second lowest score in the past 8 games (Playoffs and Distirct) (WLV held them their Season Low in District). The rest of their past 8 games for China Spring have been in the 40s and 50s. We will continue to improve.
- Also we held Rockport to their 3rd lowest score all season the week before, that was with 6 offensive starters out which led to several turn overs and putting the Defense in a bad spot.
- The Defense Held a high powered Boerne Offense to their 3rd lowest score (during 4 quarters) of the entire season as well. Grant it our 3rd Quarter lull put us in a shoot out in over time though.

The numbers tell the truth where perception or perspective may be skewed.

My take, is I am confident we beat La Vega if:
1) We dont shoot ourselves in the foot with turn overs or penalties (12 penalties last week vs China Spring and still won, but cant dot this vs LV as we paid or it over and over in the redzone last time)
2) Eliminate the 3rd Quarter Lull.
3) Continue on our Defenses trajectory of improvement.

We do these three things and we will go all the way, if so this will be the best team we have fielded in 10 years, everyone keeps picking against them, thats fine, they never quit so they always have a chance.

Yes, Coach Walker will have a great plan. The team will have to execute it with relentless resolve and play very disciplined to win this week and the following.

Rocket Man
12-04-2017, 04:44 PM
I’m not from LV, but you Barney’s are killing me with the “Waco” in front of LV. It’s not as big a “sin” as the dreaded “s” at the end of CS, but it still grates.

Ok, I got that out of my system, thanks for listening.

BTW, my opinion, I give a slight edge to LV, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see LH win it in a squeaker.

Safe travels to all!!

solocam
12-04-2017, 04:54 PM
I saw the same game you did PANFAN

LHPfactory
12-04-2017, 05:08 PM
I saw the same game you did PANFAN

Again,
LV never let off the gas by any means, LV was only up 19-10 going into the 4th quarter, its crazy to say they let off the gas midway through the 3rd quarter, because the 4th was their biggest scoring quarter ie: LV= Q1=6, Q2=6, Q3=7, Q4=14.

Numbers tell the truth...

Watch where you are aiming that Bow Solocam, your eyesight deceives you....lol :)

LHAG
12-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I'll add, when you are not as big as your opponent you have to tackle low, going high on these big guys simply won't work. LH found some defense this past week. They find the rest of it, and we have a real shot at La Vega.
Agree wholeheartedly.Go for the knees or lower but be sure to WRAP THEM UP. You can't just throw your body at their feet and expect to make the tackle.

panfan
12-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Again,
LV never let off the gas by any means, LV was only up 19-10 going into the 4th quarter, its crazy to say they let off the gas midway through the 3rd quarter, because the 4th was their biggest scoring quarter ie: LV= Q1=6, Q2=6, Q3=7, Q4=14.

Watch where you are aiming that Bow Solocam, your eyesight deceives you....lol :)

I applaud your unwaivering enthusiasm. From the sideline, La Vega's sideline, I saw numerous personnel changes, mostly on defense, but some on offense as well, not just relief players, but players who had not been in the game at all, several of their d-line starts were getting rested, for long stretches. This started late in the 3rd quarter. That is when we scored again after not scoring since early in the 1st quarter. Some of those starters returned to the game in the 4th, albeit not consistently. My comment about letting off the gas doesn't mean they were not trying to score, but they were not doing it with the same personnel who started and played most of the game.

Hey, we can take a lesson from the Stephenville Argyle game, which is that the less favored team can win at any given time if we play mistake free ball, and make the other team make those mistakes.

Rabid Cougar
12-04-2017, 07:45 PM
I’m not from LV, but you Barney’s are killing me with the “Waco” in front of LV. It’s not as big a “sin” as the dreaded “s” at the end of CS, but it still grates.

Ok, I got that out of my system, thanks for listening.

BTW, my opinion, I give a slight edge to LV, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see LH win it in a squeaker.

Safe travels to all!!

That's okay LH is slowly becoming Leander.

LHPfactory
12-04-2017, 08:26 PM
That's okay LH is slowly becoming Leander.

No, Liberty Hill is much nicer than Leander, we are more somewhere between Lake Travis and Cedar Park with some Country still mixed in as a better comparison. Better schools and better athletics. I wish I could freeze the growth. Keeping it not to big and not to small, but thats not going to happen.

solocam
12-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Im getting old,but I still shoot straight
Again,

LH2AG
12-04-2017, 10:02 PM
My take, is I am confident we beat La Vega if:
1) We dont shoot ourselves in the foot with turn overs or penalties (12 penalties last week vs China Spring and still won, but cant dot this vs LV as we paid or it over and over in the redzone last time)
2) Eliminate the 3rd Quarter Lull.
3) Continue on our Defenses trajectory of improvement.

We do these three things and we will go all the way, if so this will be the best team we have fielded in 10 years, everyone keeps picking against them, thats fine, they never quit so they always have a chance.

Yes, Coach Walker will have a great plan. The team will have to execute it with relentless resolve and play very disciplined to win this week and the following.
It is easy to say if we get rid of everything that we do bad we will win the game. If nothing goes wrong that is exactly what is supposed to happen. La Vega has had LH's number for the past 3 years and there has to be a shift in how the game is played if LH wants to win. The players can't be perfect so it comes down to want to. That is going to be LH's chance to win this football game.

LHPfactory
12-04-2017, 10:24 PM
It is easy to say if we get rid of everything that we do bad we will win the game. If nothing goes wrong that is exactly what is supposed to happen. La Vega has had LH's number for the past 3 years and there has to be a shift in how the game is played if LH wants to win. The players can't be perfect so it comes down to want to. That is going to be LH's chance to win this football game.

Refer to the second half of the quote, I never said we have to be perfect, just perfect effort. These young men have the heart and want to, now its a matter of eliminating the drive killing mistakes that get us behind the chains.

PS: La Vega has only lost 1 game in the past 3 years and that was because of penalties and mistakes on LVs part while playing China Spring. In the region finals no doubt. So reality is La Vega has had everyones number for the past 3 years, they are that good. But I absolutely believe our young men will win this Friday.

LH Panther Mom
12-05-2017, 07:05 AM

I'm certain the "want to" is there. Now to see if it translates to the field. I've got a feeling (oooh hooo) about this team and have all year. They have found their down deep fight and never give up attitude. Win or lose, I'm so proud of them.

Dawgs
12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Hoping LV wins this one. Every Dawg fan I have talked to wants LV after they woodshedded Carthage last time. LH woodshedded a Surratt coached team in 2007 too. So I guess it's a win win for Carthage. Good luck to both teams. Should be a heck of a game.

slingshot
12-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Good luck to LH!

stardog
12-05-2017, 07:53 PM
LHP - The Hill used another cat life last Friday night. Will they need another one this Friday night ? You have only 2 left.

panfan
12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
LHP - The Hill used another cat life last Friday night. Will they need another one this Friday night ? You have only 2 left.

What happened to 9 lives? You using that Burnet math?

stardog
12-05-2017, 08:31 PM
What hap nopened to 9 lives? You using that Burnet math?
LHP said last week - had enough to get to finals - that meant 3 - told him Hill needed 4 to win out - used 1 last Friday night !!!

LHPfactory
12-06-2017, 09:42 AM
LHP said last week - had enough to get to finals - that meant 3 - told him Hill needed 4 to win out - used 1 last Friday night !!!

The LH Panthers have the heart and enough lives to go the distance. I dont doubt our players or coaches.

LHPfactory
12-06-2017, 09:49 AM
I'm certain the "want to" is there. Now to see if it translates to the field. I've got a feeling (oooh hooo) about this team and have all year. They have found their down deep fight and never give up attitude. Win or lose, I'm so proud of them.

Well said, everyone has picked aginst these young men in the big games all season. My Son had one of his team mates over for dinner after practice last night and I asked them how they felt about the game and his friend said he believes with every fiber of his being we are going to win. They have no doubt, thats the winning mindset.

Rabid Cougar
12-06-2017, 10:26 AM
PS: La Vega has only lost 1 game in the past 3 years and that was because of penalties and mistakes on LVs part while playing China Spring. In the region finals no doubt. So reality is La Vega has had everyones number for the past 3 years, they are that good. But I absolutely believe our young men will win this Friday.

It had nothing to do with China Spring's defense last year.... No not at all...

panfan
12-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Well said, everyone has picked aginst these young men in the big games all season. My Son had one of his team mates over for dinner after practice last night and I asked them how they felt about the game and his friend said he believes with every fiber of his being we are going to win. They have no doubt, thats the winning mindset.

Factory, its important to recognize that many of us from LH are not picking against them, but we do recognize the deficiencies as compared to the teams they face, when they are present and bring them up to discuss. Simply pointing those out as areas for improvement for continued success does not constitute picking against them.

Teams or players that go into a game doubting their chances for success are not likely to win. Fans on the other hand get to sit back a dissect, evaluate, prognosticate, and something else_ate all we want. I truly hope LH walks away Friday evening with a victory, but I also understand there is always someone bigger, badder, and more athletic that wants to take that opportunity away.

LH2AG
12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Couldn't have said it any better panfan.

LHPfactory
12-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Factory, its important to recognize that many of us from LH are not picking against them, but we do recognize the deficiencies as compared to the teams they face, when they are present and bring them up to discuss. Simply pointing those out as areas for improvement for continued success does not constitute picking against them.

Teams or players that go into a game doubting their chances for success are not likely to win. Fans on the other hand get to sit back a dissect, evaluate, prognosticate, and something else_ate all we want. I truly hope LH walks away Friday evening with a victory, but I also understand there is always someone bigger, badder, and more athletic that wants to take that opportunity away.

I was primarily talking about the polls and associated press picking against them. It was 2-1 in favor of China Spring across the board both times and its about 4-1 in the La Vega polls. Yes, also some of the LH folk are too and thats fine, thats what this board is for. As for me, I have always had the mindset you will have to beat me before I will concede even the notion you can, I carry the same sentiment toward these young men that I spent lots of years with when they were youth.

My big disagreement was about LV letting off the gas and putting in subs in the 3rd. I checked hudl and the only 2 who were put in on Defense, 1 for a series in the 3rd quarter and 1 in the 4th. They were put in to relieve players who were getting brutalized the whole game, litterally pounded.

Me not agreeing with an assessment, is also part of the discussion. I dont think you will find anyone more in tune and informed about this team than me, other than their coaches that is.

Rabid Cougar
12-07-2017, 10:22 AM
I was primarily talking about the polls and associated press picking against them. It was 2-1 in favor of China Spring across the board both times and its about 4-1 in the La Vega polls. Yes, also some of the LH folk are too and thats fine, thats what this board is for. As for me, I have always had the mindset you will have to beat me before I will concede even the notion you can, I carry the same sentiment toward these young men that I spent lots of years with when they were youth.

My big disagreement was about LV letting off the gas and putting in subs in the 3rd. I checked hudl and the only 2 who were put in on Defense, 1 for a series in the 3rd quarter and 1 in the 4th. They were put in to relieve players who were getting brutalized the whole game, litterally pounded.

Me not agreeing with an assessment, is also part of the discussion. I dont think you will find anyone more in tune and informed about this team than me, other than their coaches that is.

As someone that was in your same position several years ago it is hard to be objective, specially when you are dealing with kids you have worked with for a long time.

Bosqueville
12-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Sounds like the LH defense did all they could. I’m sure by the 4th they were exhausted. Congrats on a great year!

panfan
12-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Sounds like the LH defense did all they could. I’m sure by the 4th they were exhausted. Congrats on a great year!
Yep, too big, too fast. It was a great run while it lasted.

stardog
12-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Yep, too big, too fast. It was a great run while it lasted.

I didn't see any LH players go out with injuries, but they put some hurt on LV. LV had 3 or4 players come out injured. 2nd qt - #54 came out -leg/knee - 3rd qt #6 out -back - 4th qt #6 out again -back - 4th #44 or was #54 again out leg/knee - late 4th #15 playing but limping- came out looking at his ankle.

Rabid Cougar
12-09-2017, 01:09 PM
I didn't see any LH players go out with injuries, but they put some hurt on LV. LV had 3 or4 players come out injured. 2nd qt - #54 came out -leg/knee - 3rd qt #6 out -back - 4th qt #6 out again -back - 4th #44 or was #54 again out leg/knee - late 4th #15 playing but limping- came out looking at his ankle.

"They won but we hurt them" Stupid post. And what is even more stupid is that all of those are very easily non contact injuries.

panfan
12-09-2017, 02:44 PM
"They won but we hurt them" Stupid post. And what is even more stupid is that all of those are very easily non contact injuries.

I think what he is saying is LH gave em a tough hard fought game. And we did. Good luck to LV going forward.

stardog
12-09-2017, 05:53 PM
I think what he is saying is LH gave em a tough hard fought game. And we did. Good luck to LV going forward.

Should have said they had some INJURIES. Could hurt them against Carthage. I guess if your for La Vega you read it different. I hope they are minor and they will be ready for Carthage.

LHAG
12-09-2017, 10:58 PM
This may not be a very popular post, but it seemed to me that most of the LV injuries coincided with missing their assignment. On the extra point try for 2 which was successful 2 LV players went down and rolled around for a while.
Unless I'm mistaken both played after that within a few minutes.Number 6 went out at least 3 times and came back within a few plays but he played both ways.
It looked like he was trying to keep from completely being ineffective.

stardog
12-10-2017, 12:34 AM
LA VEGA VS LIBERTY HILL STATS

Rushing
LV - 45 for 391 yds - #1- 10 for 54, #5- 1 for 3, #6- 8 for 67 - 2TDs, #17- 15 for 144 - 2 TDs, #22- 11 for 123
LH - 47 for 205 yds - #10- 25 for 169 - 2 TDs, #16- 9 for 19, #41- 8 for 14, #46- 9 for 19

Passing
LV - 7 of 11 for 42 yds
LH - 0 of 2 for 0 yds

TOTALS
LV -- 433 yds
LH -- 205 yds

First Downs
LV -- 19
LH -- 10

TURNOVERS LOST
LV -- 1 of 1 fumble
LH -- 0

SACKS AGAINST
LV -- 1 for -6 yds
LH -- 2 for -10 yds

PENALTIES
LV -- 8 for 60 yds
LH -- 3 for 30 yds

DOWN CONV.
LV -- 3rd - 4 of 9, 4th - 1 of 2
LH -- 3rd - 4 of 10, 4th - 0 of 4

LH -- 1 45 yd FG

LHPfactory
12-10-2017, 02:52 PM
The LV defense is very sound, it made the difference, The best D in 4A this year. I hope they win state.

LH and China Spring had the closest margin to LV all season, 10 points and held them to their 2 lowest scores all season, LH had the 2nd Highest points scored against the LV Defense 2 times this season... That District 13 is the SEC of 4A.

For a team that only had a few returning starters, went through a coaching transition, and installed a completely new defensive scheme, LH Panthers did fantastic,.
I have watched LHHS football for about 15 years and I dont recall a tougher play off schedule between this year and 2006.
These boys always had a shot because they play with heart and dedication, they had a double digit win column, nothing to be ashamed of.

I hear the off season is going to be like no other. This coupled with the fact that we will be getting back most our Offense and half of our Defense, along with some excellent players coming up from a 9-1 JV and Undefeated Freshmen team has me real OPTIMISTIC about next fall.
What me, Optimistic?...lol

PS: We will miss the class of 2018, Way to finish well!!!

itmoney100
12-13-2017, 02:50 AM
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂!!!