PDA

View Full Version : 4A D1 Region 1 Final -Stephenville Yellow Jackets (11-2) vs WF Hirschi Huskies (11-2)

hollywood
12-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Here we go! This is going to be another match up of unfamiliar territory for Stephenville this season. Hirschi’s Foster has had a breakout year . He’s a very good RB who has been tough to slow down for any team. Argyle was able to contain him. For Hirschi, this will be the best defense they have faced all season. The Jackets are playing lights out on defense while the offense is continuing to gain steam.

Who ya got?

BwdLion73
12-03-2017, 10:26 AM
For Brownwood Dallas Huston called it right at the start of the game. Brownwood VS Foster University. The young man is a sight to see but I think Stephenville has a defense that can slow him down. We were up 28-21 at the half despite him. The momentum shifted in the second half along with some play calls.

Go Ville....:confused:

slingshot
12-03-2017, 11:45 AM
I think Ville takes this one... maybe more comfortably than most think. 35–21 Ville.

hollywood
12-03-2017, 04:35 PM
I’m initially predicting a 42-21 final in favor of Stephenville. I may change my mind later in the week.

cowboyandchrist
12-03-2017, 05:14 PM
I’m initially predicting a 42-21 final in favor of Stephenville. I may change my mind later in the week.

Hollywood it is good to have the Ville back in the hunt, I have always wanted to see a game between the Dawgs and the Ville.

hollywood
12-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Hollywood it is good to have the Ville back in the hunt, I have always wanted to see a game between the Dawgs and the Ville.

I agree cowboy! Let’s have faith that both will take care of business each week. Until then, wish the Dawgs the best. Would love to see a Ville vs Dawgs State Final.

briandumith*
12-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Just a touch of reality everyone. If you look at the poll on here. There is virtually no body from Wichita Falls on the downlow unfortunately. But not to take anything away from everybody else's opinion. This game maybe the game of the week. And I have to hold my head up and put my chest out because I'm proud that both of these teams made it. Because it makes Graham look even that much better. Plus I respect both of these teams immensely. I've always liked Stephenville and the game we played against Wichita Falls was definitely an eye-opener. I didn't expect to see what I seen and I was sure glad to see it. As I am a high school football fan first and enjoy a good game. Finally whoever wins this game I am going to back cordially with all the fandom that I can muster. So good luck to both teams. I will enjoy keeping up with this game.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Sville
12-03-2017, 07:39 PM
These two teams have met 7 times with Sville winning 4. Hirshci won 3 in the 70's when they had a 4 year home and home non-district contests. The Jackets have won the last 3 all in playoffs and all in the 90's, 99,98, and 90.

Two of the Jackets are closing in on some stat milestones. Nowak needs 227 yards to break the single season rushing record and Jones needs 222 yards to move into 3rd place on the career passing yards record for Stephenville.

TBH I don't know alto about the Huskies other than they have some outstanding skill players. I believe the Jackets will win the LOS and thus the game.

briandumith*
12-03-2017, 07:58 PM
I will sort of be a stat Ambassador for Wichita Falls. Their biggest stat leader is Foster number 5 he has rushed for 3139 yards and has 48 touchdowns. Quarterback is number 17. I can't pronounce his name or even spell it as I use voice text and I'm too lazy to type it. He has passed for 2154 yards 23 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Number 55 on defense interior lineman. he's there big boy on the line. he gets all the attention. he has like 20 D1 schools after him he plugs it up pretty good. He is the Undisputed leader of the team.

CP3Dad
12-03-2017, 08:57 PM
I've followed this Hirschi bunch for several years, through sub-varsity and now varsity seasons. The have several D1 offers on the table, and they are much more disciplined than past teams. The key, obviously, is tackling Foster. Not an easy task, but I think the Jackets can handle it. I wonder how well Stephenville will move the ball. If the RB is right, I think the Jackets will win a close one.

jason
12-03-2017, 09:12 PM
but I think the Jack If the RB is right, I think the Jackets will win a close one.

Post game interview coach said they were as healthy as you can be this time of year.

Sville
12-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Jacket defense has been ball hawks this year with 31 turnovers, 12 fumbles recovered and 19 INT's, 38 sacks and 96 total TFL. Argyle had been avg. 52 pts per game Jackets held them to 28 and giving up 20 on avg. Several of those points have been in mop up time. The offense has really peaked at the right time with the passing attack becoming better each week opening things up for Nowak even more.

hollywood
12-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I’ve talked with many Jacket faithfull and they all agree that this has a 2012 feel to it. Once the playoffs were here, this team has risen to a high level of play. Cranked the dial up a few notches so to speak. They are not the same team we all saw in pre-district or even in the first part of district. I believe some of it has to do with Jones getting back in form and playing with confidence. That generates confidence across the entire team.

briandumith*
12-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Yeah I think this game come down to the Ville D... If they do the job we all know they can do. I think Jackets win. Hirschi has an above average D and they do get better as the game goes on. Both teams need to not underestimated the opponent. Focus and discipline will play a big part as well.

lostaussie
12-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I will sort of be a stat Ambassador for Wichita Falls. Their biggest stat leader is Foster number 5 he has rushed for 3139 yards and has 48 touchdowns. Quarterback is number 17. I can't pronounce his name or even spell it as I use voice text and I'm too lazy to type it. He has passed for 2154 yards 23 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Number 55 on defense interior lineman. he's there big boy on the line. he gets all the attention. he has like 20 D1 schools after him he plugs it up pretty good. He is the Undisputed leader of the team.

Those are some eye popping numbers!!!

jason
12-04-2017, 11:56 AM
For what it's worth - Stephenville and Hirschi have several common opponents...

Stephenville has beaten 7 teams with records of .500 or better.
Hirschi has 4 wins with 2 of those being vs Decatur.

http://js-test.info/txdl_standings/2017/sv_vs_wfh.jpg

Sville
12-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Hirschi Highlights vs. Decatur

http://www.hudl.com/v/28PNTH

lostaussie
12-04-2017, 03:31 PM
For what it's worth - Stephenville and Hirschi have several common opponents...

Stephenville has beaten 7 teams with records of .500 or better.
Hirschi has 4 wins with 2 of those being vs Decatur.

http://js-test.info/txdl_standings/2017/sv_vs_wfh.jpg

Stephenville seems to have the SOS advantage.........but the opponents they have in common seem to, score wise anyway, favor WFH.

Sville
12-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Krece Nowak highlights vs. Argyle,
http://www.hudl.com/v/28PQmL

Sville
12-04-2017, 05:40 PM
These two teams have met 7 times with Sville winning 4. Hirshci won 3 in the 70's when they had a 4 year home and home non-district contests. The Jackets have won the last 3 all in playoffs and all in the 90's, 99,98, and 90.

Two of the Jackets are closing in on some stat milestones. Nowak needs 227 yards to break the single season rushing record and Jones needs 222 yards to move into 3rd place on the career passing yards record for Stephenville.

TBH I don't know alto about the Huskies other than they have some outstanding skill players. I believe the Jackets will win the LOS and thus the game.

The passing stats I had were wrong, I was missing two games. Jones actually has 7315 career passing yards. That is good enough for 2nd place for career passing in Sville history.

toddg
12-04-2017, 08:02 PM
The passing stats I had were wrong, I was missing two games. Jones actually has 7315 career passing yards. That is good enough for 2nd place for career passing in Sville history.
In your opinion, how would that list look, had k briles stayed his senior year?

LHPfactory
12-04-2017, 10:37 PM
I believe SVill wins, as long as there is no let off after the big win last week that is.
There is no easy Road to Arlington in 4A-D1, this year is brutal.

Sville
12-05-2017, 09:39 AM
In your opinion, how would that list look, had k briles stayed his senior year?

I think he would of been in the top 5. He had 3115 his JR year. If Briles would of stayed for KB's SR year I suspect he would of had somewhere between 3500-4k, and Sville would of won their 3rd on a row and 5th SC.

hollywood
12-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Impressive and to think he didn’t play the first 2 1/2 games this season. I would imagine that he would have at least another 1,000 yards passing had he not injured his arm in June. Glad to see him back to 100% and playing with more confidence than ever before.

Sville
12-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Impressive and to think he didn’t play the first 2 1/2 games this season. I would imagine that he would have at least another 1,000 yards passing had he not injured his arm in June. Glad to see him back to 100% and playing with more confidence than ever before.

Jones is also now first in Jacket history with 508 completions and 856 attempts and counting. He also has 68 career TD passes currently sitting in 4th place behind Snead 69, TJones 77, & Luker 78.

slingshot
12-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Rooting to Ville in this one though I don't think you'll need it. Ville's D is good enough to limit WFH's opportunities and I don't think their D can stop you guys. Ville by 14. Next week will be a litmus test.

Trashman
12-05-2017, 04:27 PM
I will not go against the Ville after the win against Argyle. The key will be to slow Foster down.

Deuce
12-05-2017, 07:17 PM
You won’t completely stop Foster but the Ville D can slow him down. I think Ville’s offensive and defensive lines are probably the best Graham saw all year with Sweetwater being a close 2nd. This game is will be won up front with the big boys and Ville wins that battle. I have been rooting for them all year except when they played Graham. There’s a pretty special kid on this team that my family thinks a lot of. His Mom is smiling ear to ear in heaven watching these boys make a run!! Give me the Ville by 10!

Sville
12-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Stephenville wins the LOS decisively, 40-20 Jackets.

regaleagle
12-06-2017, 11:03 PM
I think Stephenville wins this one.....but not without playing some very good football. Hirschi can be explosive and has a very good defense. I think this game will be up in the air.....hard to predict. Hirschi definitely has a chance to win this one.....they've got the athletes for it......IF the ball bounces their way. Stephenville will come prepared and has the skill players on offense to score......and a very good defense. Vrana, Foster, et al for Hirschi will need to play outstanding to win this one, IMHO. I don't see a game any more than 14 pts. difference here, but it could be tighter......just depends on how the ball bounces.

Steer81
12-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Those Huskie Boys can play ball! I would not be surprised to see them win.

hollywood
12-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Game Day!

45-21 Jackets

Sville
12-08-2017, 02:59 PM
https://youtu.be/CSitl70aHfQ

regaleagle
12-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Game Day!

45-21 Jackets

Time to be more realistic. Just because Argyle put the whack on the Huskies doesn't mean the Yellowjackets will. Y'all got plenty of breaks to beat Argyle....it may not go so much your way this time. They have a good team......it will not be an easy win for either team.

regaleagle
12-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Will this game be live streamed??? What's the link?

jason
12-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Will this game be live streamed??? What's the link?
www.kstvfm.com
Stephenville broadcast. They're good, a little biased at times.
Works on mobile devices too, no app required

jason
12-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Final stats

Rush
Sv 176
Wfh 179 (foster 118 but had a -20 late)

Pass
Sv 223
Wfh 106

Total
Sv 399
Wfh 285

Turnovers
Sv 6
Wfh 3

Penalties
Sv 3-15
Wfh 2-7

3rd down conv
Sv 3-15
Wfh 1-13

regaleagle
12-09-2017, 01:49 AM
Congrats to the Stephenville Yellowjackets on a very good win. Not a pretty game from the sound of the call, but win and advance is the name of the game. Good Luck against Kennedale......thank goodness you have played Argyle and then Hirschi to get your defense ready.

hollywood
12-09-2017, 02:49 AM
Congrats to the Stephenville Yellowjackets on a very good win. Not a pretty game from the sound of the call, but win and advance is the name of the game. Good Luck against Kennedale......thank goodness you have played Argyle and then Hirschi to get your defense ready.

Yes sir. Giving up 6 turnovers is unacceptable this deep in the playoffs. Thank goodness the defense is tough as nails and very solid against the run. Holding Foster to a season low is no easy task!

jason
12-09-2017, 09:45 AM
http://theflashtoday.com/2017/12/08/stephenville-limits-foster-to-complete-journey-from-four-wins-to-final-four/

Stephenville limits Foster to complete journey from four wins to final four

By BRAD KEITH
The Flash Today

FORT WORTH (December 8, 2017) – Last year Stephenville won four games.

Now they’re in the final four.

And headed back at AT&T Stadium for the first time since winning their fifth state championship in 2012.

Stephenville may not have slammed the brakes on Daimarqua Foster, but the Yellow Jackets did limit the Wichita Falls Hirschi running back to 100 yards less than his season average in a 31-21 Region I-4A Division I championship and state quarterfinal at Chisholm Trail’s Ranger Stadium Friday.

Next up is Kennedale at 5 p.m. on Friday, December 15, at the home of the Dallas Cowboys, a week before the winner of the semifinal contest returns there to compete for a state championship. The other semifinal is between Carthage and Waco La Vega, who have combined for three of the past four 4A Division I titles.

Krece Nowak rushed for two yards and ended up with more total yards than Foster, his equal on the ground and superior in the passing game. Nowak used a 47-yard reception on a wheel route to set up his own 7-yard run, capping a drive where he touched the ball on all five plays and moved it all 70 yards for a 17-0 Stephenville lead before the first quarter was in the books.

“We’ve been able to do that and it’s been huge for us,” said Stephenville head coach Greg Winder, whose team has not trailed since opening minutes of a bi-district contest it won easily over Sanger. “It just changes the makeup of the whole game when you’re playing from in front.”

But Hirschi was playing in its first state quarterfinal since being eliminated by Stephenville at Texas Stadium in 1998, and after two decades trying to get back, the Huskies refused to go away easily.

Foster got the Huskies on the board with a 13-yard run, one of the two times all night he carried the ball farther than his average of 12.7 yards. Hirschi then pulled within four with its biggest play of the night, only to see it answered by Nowak and Stephenville.

Martez V’rana went over the top to Javen Banks for a 52-yard Husky touchdown before Nowak answered fire with fire. Justas Banks made his big catch along the Stephenville sideline, Nowak took a pitch wide to the left and turned up along the Hirshci sideline, giving the Huskies a good view as he raced away for a 24-13 lead.

“It’s all the offensive line just giving me big holes and giving Easton time to throw the ball, those guys do it all,” said Nowak, crediting Jason Poston, Scott Gill, Lane York, Tyvon Anderson-Robison and Devon Roeming. “At the end of last year I don’t think I could have seen us being in the semifinals at (AT&T Stadium). This is a great feeling.”

The Huskies finally got as close 24-21 midway through the third on the biggest play all night by Foster. It was fourth and two and he came out of wildcat and rushed virtually untouched 33 yards to the house before another wildcat-style play out of the swinging gate ended with Isaiah White taking the snap and plowing over the goal line on a quarterback power t add the two-point conversion.

Stephenville answered with authority and with Winder’s best play call of the night.

Facing third and goal, Stephenville got into the ‘hammer time’ heavy formation, but instead of sticking the ball in the gut of Blu Caylor and allowing him to pound away with it, Jones executed a nifty play action pass made even better by Husky having sent a blitz from the back side. Jones bootlegged right off the paly fake, saw three Husky defenders closing fast, but also two Jacket receivers alone in that side of the end zone. The third-year starting quarterback did not have his best stuff Friday, but he didn’t need it to connect with Kade Averhoff on a soft lob for a three-yard TD late in the third quarter.

No one thought at that time the scoring had ended but that was the case.

Foster converted fourth and two with a nine-yard run to the Stephenville 16 out of the wildcat, but Hirschi didn’t gain another yard the next three snaps and a 33-yard field goal attempt fell several yards short. It happened because of a low snap that almost prevented the kick from ever getting away.

Stephenville kept the ball four minutes then punted. Hirshci lost 20 on a bad snap, five on a sacked by Caylor and Silverio Vasquez and two more on a delay of game penalty from its four. The Huskies punted on fourth and 37 from their own two and Stephenville gained two first downs before running out the clock.

“I’m just so proud of these guys, the way they have handled themselves, enjoying each of these but then coming right back ready to work for the next one,” said Winder. “We’ve got one more gold ball to go chase next week before we’re playing for a championship. That’s kind of hard to believe.”

Especially after just four wins last year. Naysayers may have written off Stephenville, thinking a 7-15 combined record in 2015 and 2016 mean the end of a dynasty.

But Stephenville is back.

The Yellow Jackets are on to the semifinals for the eighth time after improving to 8-8 in 16 state quarterfinals. It was their seventh quarterfinal in 10 years and they are in the semifinals for the third time in six seasons.

Special teams were key again and not just because Hirschi missed a field goal in each half. Stephenville began the scoring with a 30-yard Chase Carrillo field goal and made it 10-0 when Hirschi muffed a punt that bounded into the end zone and was covered up by Gage Graham. The Huskies also muffed a pooched kick off in the second half.

That was one of five Hirschi turnovers after they combined for eight turnovers before halftime. Nowak and Jones each lost fumbles on the initial two Stephenville drives and Jones was picked off twice, though one was on a long third-down pass and was as good as a punt and the other was because he was drilled while releasing a hail mary at the end of the half. The ball fluttered out of his hand and Ezekial Holmes dove for the interception but he was down when he caught it and time was expired.

Stephenville improved to 5-3 all-time against Hirschi. The Yellow Jackets will be seeing Kennedale for the first time since routing them with eight touchdown passes by Tyler Jones in the area round of the 2012 playoffs.

slingshot
12-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Congrats Ville. I think y’all have a very good shot to get by Kennedale in the Semis. Your defense certainly can slow a predominately run first offense and force them to throw.
That being said... if you turn the ball over 6 times or go 3/15 on 3rd down against the Wildcats you will be playing basketball with us.

regaleagle
12-09-2017, 10:50 AM
yeah.....and another miffed punt for an easy TD will most likely not happen a 3rd game in a row.....nor will 2 missed easy field goals by Kennedale's premier kicker. Time to tighten up the belt and play mistake-free football next week, for sure. Nobody expected Argyle to make those mistakes....it just hasn't happened. For Hirschi......yeah maybe. It's time to play perfect and be perfect.

hollywood
12-09-2017, 12:17 PM
yeah.....and another miffed punt for an easy TD will most likely not happen a 3rd game in a row.....nor will 2 missed easy field goals by Kennedale's premier kicker. Time to tighten up the belt and play mistake-free football next week, for sure. Nobody expected Argyle to make those mistakes....it just hasn't happened. For Hirschi......yeah maybe. It's time to play perfect and be perfect.

Thanks regal.

To add... Create opportunities, good things will happen. There is no such a thing as perfect football. Argyle made that clear. Looked great when playing a softer schedule. But when pitted against a solid team, weaknesses were exposed. Jackets are far from perfect. There is always room for improvement. And as long as that mentality is predominant, greatness will be achieved.

Deuce
12-09-2017, 12:58 PM
You won’t completely stop Foster but the Ville D can slow him down. I think Ville’s offensive and defensive lines are probably the best Graham saw all year with Sweetwater being a close 2nd. This game is will be won up front with the big boys and Ville wins that battle. I have been rooting for them all year except when they played Graham. There’s a pretty special kid on this team that my family thinks a lot of. His Mom is smiling ear to ear in heaven watching these boys make a run!! Give me the Ville by 10!

Yep!