PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs Melissa 7:30 Friday @Mesquite Memorial

lostaussie
11-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Buckeyes seem to be improving as the season rolls on.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Buckeyes seem to be improving as the season rolls on.

You better hope they are......because that's what every other opponent is doing too.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 08:48 AM
At this juncture, health of your starters really comes into view. Missing a piece of the puzzle at any position could make the difference between advancing or playing roundball. Teams with a larger talent pool and depth can usually overcome this obstacle much easier.

buckeyebob
11-25-2017, 11:05 AM
My understanding is "Red will be ready to play"

lostaussie
11-25-2017, 12:33 PM
My understanding is "Red will be ready to play"

That's a plus

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Methinks Melissa played a pretty tough opponent in Rusk. It should be a totally different matchup in this round against the Gilmerites. I look for more passing from the Cardinal offense against the Buckeyes than they showed against the Ruskies.

Aesculus gilmus
11-25-2017, 01:41 PM
Melissa has way more students in their high school than Gilmer does. This is their last chance to even play us before ascending into Division I and ultimately on to 6A eventually.

Gilmer is where time stands still. Those schools north of DFW are going at the speed of light by comparison. At least some of our players are fast even if the "tiny town" of Gilmer is in the slow lane of life (if not in the ditch), but I hear Melissa has a Stump Godfrey-like sophomore QB this season.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Brendan Lewis, soph.(6-3, 190).....a dual threat qb with athleticism and speed. MaxPreps stats have him down for 1738 yds passing and 550 rushing, but I don't think those stats are very accurate. Maybe another poster could give us a more accurate account for him this season. It says he's thrown only 2 interceptions this season.....not sure about that stat either. It also shows him playing only 4 games, but the season totals and totals for 4 games played are the same.....so something looks goofy there. MaxPreps relies on a "scorer and stat guy" to report the stats of the team......so their listed stats may or may not be correct, depending on who is turning in the stats and for how long. Let's just say that Lewis has proven to be the real deal so far. He certainly has the size and looks of a quality qb.....and his numbers tend to bear out the results so far.

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 02:27 PM
.... but I hear Melissa has a Stump Godfrey-like sophomore QB this season.

No. Lewis is very good. He is more than capable of knocking off the Buckeyes. He can run well and throw very well, on a dime. But no. He's no Stump Godfrey.

orange machine
11-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Brendan Lewis has passed for 2,900 yards and rushed for 1021 yards with 35 td's and 6 picks.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Brendan Lewis has thrown for 3,000 yards and rushed for 800 with 34 Td's and 6 picks.

Thanks, Orange.....I suspected those Maxpreps stats were not correct. Now we have a better measure of him.

waterboy
11-25-2017, 05:29 PM
I honestly don't know what to expect in this match up. With all the praise for Melissa from the DFW, I'm inclined to believe it will be a shootout of epic proportions. I hope we continue to improve, and if we do that we will have a very real chance to keep our playoff run continuing, in my opinion. I definitely know this won't be the same Melissa team we have faced the last three years. One thing I also know is the Buckeyes know how to win. Their only two losses have come at the hands of undefeated teams that are still playing. Methinks District 7 will sweep this week, and set up the rematch we've been talking about since the district championship game. I could also be very wrong, too. We shall see.

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 05:46 PM
I honestly don't know what to expect in this match up. With all the praise for Melissa from the DFW, I'm inclined to believe it will be a shootout of epic proportions. I hope we continue to improve, and if we do that we will have a very real chance to keep our playoff run continuing, in my opinion. I definitely know this won't be the same Melissa team we have faced the last three years. One thing I also know is the Buckeyes know how to win. Their only two losses have come at the hands of undefeated teams that are still playing. Methinks District 7 will sweep this week, and set up the rematch we've been talking about since the district championship game. I could also be very wrong, too. We shall see.

We’ll see. I liked Celina’s chances against Jasper, and I like them against PG, too. The Bobcats, traditionally, matchup very well with teams like these.

waterboy
11-25-2017, 07:19 PM
We’ll see. I liked Celina’s chances against Jasper, and I like them against PG, too. The Bobcats, traditionally, matchup very well with teams like these.

You've got good reason to believe. They took down a good Jasper team that is very run heavy. I think PG will be a little different on both sides of the ball, however. They are extremely good at executing the play action pass. They also have a very stout front seven on defense. This year's PG team is a lot better at execution on offense than last season, and I think Celina will have to pass the ball effectively to keep drives alive. Just my opinion, but I think PG is a lot better team Jasper.

Aesculus gilmus
11-25-2017, 07:27 PM
I think it's fair to say there are as many people in Collin County underestimating Pleasant Grove as there are people in this area underestimating Melissa.

What would really be a hoot, if Gilmer has to leave this round, would be to see Melissa take down Pleasant Grove the following week. There would be a lot of SHOCKED Texarkana people. I think a few would outright die of heart attacks right after the game because they think they've already won state.

waterboy
11-25-2017, 08:09 PM
I certainly hope the Buckeye players ain't buying into that "we beat the brakes off of 'em last year" crap. That will get them beat this week if they do. Melissa is obviously not the same team this year. They better prepare like it's the best team in the state from here on out. Only the good teams are left at this point in the playoffs.

WOS87
11-25-2017, 08:18 PM
:wave: :) have fun up there!

waterboy
11-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Says the guy who's team get a bye to the semis. :D

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 08:54 PM
I think it's fair to say there are as many people in Collin County underestimating Pleasant Grove as there are people in this area underestimating Melissa.

What would really be a hoot, if Gilmer has to leave this round, would be to see Melissa take down Pleasant Grove the following week. There would be a lot of SHOCKED Texarkana people. I think a few would outright die of heart attacks right after the game because they think they've already won state.

No one with any sense or TXHSFB knowledge in Collin County - especially not in Celina - is underestimating Pleasant Grove, I’ll tell you that. Same could probably - I think - be said for the Hawks faithful, and for the educated ones in Upshur County as well.

No free meals in this region, and certainly not from this point onward.

lostaussie
11-25-2017, 08:56 PM
I certainly hope the Buckeye players ain't buying into that "we beat the brakes off of 'em last year" crap. That will get them beat this week if they do. Melissa is obviously not the same team this year. They better prepare like it's the best team in the state from here on out. Only the good teams are left at this point in the playoffs.

I could care less about last year........but the loss to LC by both Melissa and Celina to me speaks volumes. They weren't very good. I think Celina has a better chance than Melissa........but hey, that's just me.

lostaussie
11-25-2017, 08:57 PM

You shut up. Someone will deal with you later:D

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 09:08 PM
I could care less about last year........but the loss to LC by both Melissa and Celina to me speaks volumes. They weren't very good. I think Celina has a better chance than Melissa........but hey, that's just me.

I’d definitely put all my stock into the Melissa/Celina losses to LC if I were Gilmer and Pleasant Grove.

lostaussie
11-25-2017, 09:19 PM
I’d definitely put all my stock into the Melissa/Celina losses to LC if I were Gilmer and Pleasant Grove.

I didn't say I put all "my stock" in that game. But a team Melissa scored 7 on and we scored 60.....that's a bit confusing to me??

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 09:33 PM
I didn't say I put all "my stock" in that game. But a team Melissa scored 7 on and we scored 60.....that's a bit confusing to me??

You’re right. That is confusing.

orange machine
11-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Agree totally lol. I hope Gilmer and PG think Melissa and Celina are still playing like they did in weeks one and two.

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 11:07 PM
Agree totally lol. I hope Gilmer and PG think Melissa and Celina are still playing like they did in weeks one and two.

Haha, yeah, that’d be nice if they thought that! Unfortunately, I doubt very seriously any of the Gilmer coaches and players are underestimating Melissa. And I’m sure the same is true for PG’s coaches and players underestimating Celina. LostAussie and I were just clowning around.

Gilmer seems to be coming back to life a bit, and at just the right time. A week or two ago, I would’ve said Melissa wins by two TDs. But now, I’m thinking it’ll come down to whoever has the most takeaways and/or, whoever has the ball last. Because Gilmer can still score a billion points per game, I’ll say Melissa wins on a last-second FG.

This is going to be a really fun matchup, though. Melissa has the horses to go toe-to-toe with Gilmer this year. And the Cardinals are going to play inspired, physical football, I think. It honestly feels to me a little like the Celina/Gilmer matchup in 2015. Melissa is very, very similar to that Bobcats team, with the big difference being that they are very young, unlike that seasoned Celina team.

orange machine
11-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Melissa and Celina advance and play each other in the star. That would be awesome.

regaleagle
11-26-2017, 04:01 AM
Believe me......the coaches for Gilmer and PG know that LC had 7 starters out and were banged up when they played Gilmer......so they automatically ignore that game. Most coaches ignore a first game of the season also.......when it's this stage in the season. Not much to be learned about your opponent from those games....is there???

orange machine
11-26-2017, 04:37 AM
Believe me......the coaches for Gilmer and PG know that LC had 7 starters out and were banged up when they played Gilmer......so they automatically ignore that game. Most coaches ignore a first game of the season also.......when it's this stage in the season. Not much to be learned about your opponent from those games....is there???

There is no doubt in my mind that both Melissa and Celina would pound LC now.

lostaussie
11-26-2017, 06:44 AM
PG and Celina already have 3 pages on the ET site. Give me some good reading in the deer stand this morning:D

d0tc0m
11-26-2017, 08:59 AM
PG and Celina already have 3 pages on the ET site. Give me some good reading in the deer stand this morning:D

And I don’t think there’s a single Celina poster over there. Maybe one. But it’s still entertaining, nonetheless.

waterboy
11-27-2017, 05:28 PM
TTT!

As little as it matters, I've looked at some of the other scores by Melissa. The other common opponent was Caddo Mills. Melissa didn't struggle with them at all, but they only had them down 28-2 at halftime, and pulled away for 42-15 win. Gilmer, on the other hand, had CM down 49-0 at the half, 63-0 after 3, and gave up the 14 points to CM against JV players in the 4th.

Does it matter? No. Just some food for thought. I know the Buckeyes better prepare for Melissa like they are the best team in the state this week. Otherwise, they could get beat. Who knows? They still might get beat even playing their best game of the season. I doubt that very seriously, but I've seen stranger things happen.

I will say, no matter what happens this week, the Buckeyes have played MUCH better the last few weeks, and seem to be getting better as the season goes on..., finally.

Now..., I guess I'll go make some silly comments on the Celina vs. Pleasant Grove thread on here...

Oh, wait! There isn't one! What gives?

orange machine
11-27-2017, 08:55 PM
TTT!

As little as it matters, I've looked at some of the other scores by Melissa. The other common opponent was Caddo Mills. Melissa didn't struggle with them at all, but they only had them down 28-2 at halftime, and pulled away for 42-15 win. Gilmer, on the other hand, had CM down 49-0 at the half, 63-0 after 3, and gave up the 14 points to CM against JV players in the 4th.

Does it matter? No. Just some food for thought. I know the Buckeyes better prepare for Melissa like they are the best team in the state this week. Otherwise, they could get beat. Who knows? They still might get beat even playing their best game of the season. I doubt that very seriously, but I've seen stranger things happen.

I will say, no matter what happens this week, the Buckeyes have played MUCH better the last few weeks, and seem to be getting better as the season goes on..., finally.

Now..., I guess I'll go make some silly comments on the Celina vs. Pleasant Grove thread on here...

Melissa seems to play up to the competition and down to the competition. I wouldn't put to much stock in those scores.

buckeyebob
11-27-2017, 09:01 PM
TTT!

Eleven years ago...something about Middlebrooks & James...I had forgotten

regaleagle
11-28-2017, 01:23 AM
To be totally honest......I have Melissa winning this one because I don't think that the Buckeyes match up very well against a team that has both a good passing and running game. Seems like teams with an offense that can do both well give the Buckeyes all kinds of trouble. Of course, Gilmer may end up outscoring Melissa and win it, but I don't think they will win because of a stellar defensive effort. I just don't think Gilmer will be able to stop Melissa as much as Melissa will be able to stop Gilmer......so I went with Melissa.

waterboy
11-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Eleven years ago...something about Middlebrooks & James...I had forgotten

That year (2006) after the Daingerfield game (the 2nd game of the season, if memory serves) where we won 62-42, I told my brother that if anybody could hold us under 40 points they would beat us. Lo and behold, those words proved prophetic. Our defense stayed on their heels all season against good offenses, and never gelled like they normally do.

I don't see any players for Melissa on the same level as Will Middlebrooks and LaMichael James. There's players that have good potential but not on the same level, in my opinion.

I think it would be wise not to underestimate ANY opponent no matter how good your team is, especially in the playoffs. If you do that you might as well be ready to air up those round balls. Can't remember what their called...., they're orange and round is what I've heard. :D

waterboy
11-28-2017, 02:13 PM
To be totally honest......I have Melissa winning this one because I don't think that the Buckeyes match up very well against a team that has both a good passing and running game. Seems like teams with an offense that can do both well give the Buckeyes all kinds of trouble. Of course, Gilmer may end up outscoring Melissa and win it, but I don't think they will win because of a stellar defensive effort. I just don't think Gilmer will be able to stop Melissa as much as Melissa will be able to stop Gilmer......so I went with Melissa.

I would've said the same thing about 4 weeks ago. Now I'm not so sure. Our defense is doing much better, and seems to be gelling at the right time. I know Melissa has a stellar offense, a point well taken, but I think Gilmer's offense is just as good, if not better. I'm leaning toward a shootout, but I could be dead wrong. I think Gilmer will win, and the margin means nothing at this point. Melissa has been nothing short of impressive this season, but I think they will be just a "little" overmatched in this one.

Like everybody else, though, I've been dead wrong before. :D