PDA

View Full Version : Argyle vs Stephenville: Region 1 Division 1 Semifinal

regaleagle
11-24-2017, 10:48 PM
These two storied football teams have never met before, but will finally meet next Friday night in Aledo at Bearkat Stadium. Kickoff will be at 7 pm and it should be a good one folks. The Yellowjackets fans travel very heavily and bring those noisy propane tanks with BB's to the games.....so they will be there enmasse. I look for a BIG turnout in this one from the Argyle faithful......the trip to Aledo is only 45-50 minutes. GO EAGLES!! :wave:

slingshot
11-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Without Copeland I'll go with Argyle by 21....

Bosqueville
11-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Argyle 49 Ville 28.

jason
11-24-2017, 11:44 PM
I don't think Aledo is 100% yet. It wasn't as of 830 anyways.

Eagle Nation
11-25-2017, 01:29 AM
It will be played in Mansfield at 7pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne
11-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Mansfield or Aledo? Argyle radio said Aledo as well as the Booster Club Facebook page.

jason
11-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Mansfield or Aledo? Argyle radio said Aledo as well as the Booster Club Facebook page.

They both wanted aledo, but aledo stadium only available if aledo isn'tplaying Friday. If they are, then it's Mansfield.

Stephenville news outlets reporting Mansfield Friday at 7:30. I'll confirm once I get a confirmation.

bleedgreen
11-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Mansfield Newsom (capacity 10,000+) is my favorite outdoor stadium. Seating in the middle on the home side will go fast. Get there soon.

jason
11-25-2017, 11:02 AM
CONFIRMED

Friday, 7pm @ Mansfield
Argyle home, Stephenville visitor

Argyle won coin flip for home/visitor and wanted 7pm.

Presale $4/$6
$8 at gate

Razorback88
11-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Argyle 49-17

Wayne
11-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Thanks Jason

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 01:06 PM
I think this matchup will be closer than most fans and posters think. Stephenville is playing like a whole different animal in the playoffs and looks like they have pretty good team chemistry too. The Yellowjackets have a good qb at the helm, and excellent rb, good lines on both sides of the ball, and a very stout defense. You look at Argyle and see the same thing.....so where's the big discrepancy, Huh???

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Both teams score quite few points and are stingy on defense. There's really no point comparing the numbers.....they are close enough vs the schedules played. I tend to lean to Argyle's depth at the skill positions a little more on the offensive side.....but looks like it's really close position by position. Clearman at qb for Argyle has clearly(pardon the adjective) shown he's very capable of leading this Eagles team offensively. His accuracy and qb rating is very high.....he also poses a threat to tuck it and run when pressured. He's got loads of atheticism and speed.....so I don't see the qb position as being an advantage for Stephenville......Jones is a very good passer with great stats also, but I call it even at this position. I like Williams and Lang for Argyle at rb vs Nowak for Stephenville. Nowak may be more explosive, but Argyle's tandem gives different styles to defend against......and both are very fast thru the hole and in the open field. The one place I think Argyle may actually have a distinct advantage in talent and personnel over Stephenville is the secondary. This could be problematic for the Yellowjackets in the passing game and in handling Argyle's pass rush. I give the edge to Argyle in this game by about 10 pts. :lies:

toddg
11-25-2017, 01:38 PM
I think this matchup will be closer than most fans and posters think. Stephenville is playing like a whole different animal in the playoffs and looks like they have pretty good team chemistry too. The Yellowjackets have a good qb at the helm, and excellent rb, good lines on both sides of the ball, and a very stout defense. You look at Argyle and see the same thing.....so where's the big discrepancy, Huh???coaching, by a wide margin

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 02:18 PM
coaching, by a wide margin

Unfortunately, it's the players that play the game.....and they are apt to make mistakes at times that all the good coaching in the world cannot prevent. I agree with you that Argyle has the coaching advantage here.....but the games are won on the field by the players executing the plays. In big games, it can come down to big plays or big mistakes and not coaching. The coaches can do only so much to get their team to this point in the season.....then it's up to the players when they play the game. Preparation is certainly a big big consideration and requirement, and sometimes during the course of the game some coaching adjustments make a big difference.......but more often it is the plays and mistakes the players make on the field in the battle that makes the difference in the outcome.

d0tc0m
11-25-2017, 02:25 PM
This is a very fun matchup. I like Argyle by three scores, but I think it could be closer than that score would indicate. There should be a loud, massive crowd on hand for this one. I really enjoy both of these teams. A shame one has to bow out in the third round. Winner here takes the region easily.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Not so fast there......I wouldn't exactly discount Hirschi yet. That team is very dangerous and has some definite talent. Argyle beat them in Argyle in a big game, but I'm certain the Huskies have corrected some of the mistakes they made since that game. Sometimes it takes a team a few more "big" games for the full potential of the team to become fully realized. I would not count out the Hirschi Huskies so easily......and YES.....they should be able to put the whack attack on Decatur with their defense.

toddg
11-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, it's the players that play the game.....and they are apt to make mistakes at times that all the good coaching in the world cannot prevent. I agree with you that Argyle has the coaching advantage here.....but the games are won on the field by the players executing the plays. In big games, it can come down to big plays or big mistakes and not coaching. The coaches can do only so much to get their team to this point in the season.....then it's up to the players when they play the game. Preparation is certainly a big big consideration and requirement, and sometimes during the course of the game some coaching adjustments make a big difference.......but more often it is the plays and mistakes the players make on the field in the battle that makes the difference in the outcome.coaching=getting 100%buy in, offseason program and organization, summer programs etc..along with preparing “the players” for games..video breakdowns, scouting technic, practice regiment..strength and conditioning..and of course, in game decisiveness. It all starts with coaching.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Yes it does......but it does not end there. That's why we have amazing finishes and upsets in high school football just about every week, despite coaching staff disparities. And at all levels.....even in the NFL.

toddg
11-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Yes it does......but it does not end there. That's why we have amazing finishes and upsets in high school football just about every week, despite coaching staff disparities. And at all levels.....even in the NFL.
Reality, it kind of does..DeSoto would have a lot more state championships, if they had better coach during those 1 and 2 done years..hirschi is a fine example of what better coaching does, they always had the athletes..look at Cedar Hill after Mcquire left.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Both viewpoints are true.....the coaching in the bigger picture.....the players in the close playoff game perspective. Then there's turnovers, bad calls or noncalls, trick plays, and inclimate weather that can all make a difference in the outcome in a single game elimination tournament.

regaleagle
11-25-2017, 05:04 PM
So how many fans, or seating will Stephenville fill up including band, student body and other organizations? Looks like Vernon Newsome seating capacity is about 11,100.....so that's about 5500 for the visitor's side......if both sides are equal. I figure Argyle will need about 3000 seats total for the school teams and faithful.....plus all the metro fair fans. Will the Stephenville side be filled?

jason
11-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Will the Stephenville side be filled?

No

Wayne
11-25-2017, 07:08 PM
They do travel well though.

hollywood
11-25-2017, 10:32 PM
So how many fans, or seating will Stephenville fill up including band, student body and other organizations? Looks like Vernon Newsome seating capacity is about 11,100.....so that's about 5500 for the visitor's side......if both sides are equal. I figure Argyle will need about 3000 seats total for the school teams and faithful.....plus all the metro fair fans. Will the Stephenville side be filled?

Nice venue! I believe this is where the VILLE played Kilgore for the semis in 2012. That was a packed house. May not be this season but it will be a healthy crowd for sure.

Aggie98
11-26-2017, 12:16 AM
Nice venue! I believe this is where the VILLE played Kilgore for the semis in 2012. That was a packed house. May not be this season but it will be a healthy crowd for sure.

Yes it was. It's a great stadium.... neck and neck with Porter-New Caney as my favorite high school stadium. Traffic sucks, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
11-26-2017, 04:06 AM
Since Argyle and Stephenville have never played.....and this game represents so much to each school.....I'm very curious to see how vocal the Yellowjackets fans will be on this forum this week leading up to this game. Argyle never has had many posters on this site, but I remember a time when Stephenville was winning......there were quite a few. Well.....Stephenville is winning again, and has a chance to win a very big one against Argyle this week. I'm all ears.......

Caveman
11-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately, it's the players that play the game.....and they are apt to make mistakes at times that all the good coaching in the world cannot prevent. I agree with you that Argyle has the coaching advantage here.....but the games are won on the field by the players executing the plays. In big games, it can come down to big plays or big mistakes and not coaching. The coaches can do only so much to get their team to this point in the season.....then it's up to the players when they play the game. Preparation is certainly a big big consideration and requirement, and sometimes during the course of the game some coaching adjustments make a big difference.......but more often it is the plays and mistakes the players make on the field in the battle that makes the difference in the outcome.

I remember a game against Carthage in Kilgore when Argyle was pounding the dawgs in the first quarter and Carthage made a very subtle change on the offensive line and Argyle never made the adjustment and lost badly. The following year it was Carthage's turn when the coach couldn't decide if he wanted to go for one or two and ended up with a penalty because the clock expired and they lost on a missed extra point.

Argyle nearly lost the state championship when they had the ball on the 12 yard line on third and 4. The score was 14-0 Argyle over Fairfield. Argyle didn't make the first down but there was a penalty on the play which gave Argyle a first and goal from the 6. You could see the slumped shoulders of the Fairfield players. They thought the game was over because it was going to be a 3 score game. But Rogers elected to not take the penalty and go for the field goal making it 17-0. We all know what happened after that.

Yes coaching does make a huge difference when the game is on the line.

hollywood
11-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Since Argyle and Stephenville have never played.....and this game represents so much to each school.....I'm very curious to see how vocal the Yellowjackets fans will be on this forum this week leading up to this game. Argyle never has had many posters on this site, but I remember a time when Stephenville was winning......there were quite a few. Well.....Stephenville is winning again, and has a chance to win a very big one against Argyle this week. I'm all ears.......

LOL regal! The interesting discussions these days happen on an app. But I’ll chime in here. We can have a friendly banter this week. You threw the line out, I bit.

This game has been a match up that I’ve always wanted to see. This year, Argyle is the favorite and should be. Stephenville has a team this season that has came a long way from last year’s team. Most of this year’s starters are Jr’s with a couple of Sr’s... QB Jones and WR Aragon. Regardless of the outcome of this game, the Ville will be primed for a SC run for sure next season. Anything beyond last weeks win over Pampa is a bonus in my book. And to add, never ever count the Jackets out. There have been many games Stephenville has overcame adverse situations, stronger and more talented teams. This is just another one of those situations. Will Stephenville respond and play its best football this week? That’s the question. Because that is what it will take for the Jackets to win Friday. Their best complete game so far this season. I’ll name this game, the mini Iron Bowl. Argyle being Alabama and Stephenville being Auburn. It can happen. Lol

hollywood
11-26-2017, 03:41 PM
By the way regal, here is the basis of my reference to naming this game the Mini Iron Bowl. Pigskins power ratings below from SR’s post on another thread.

#1 Argyle vs #6 Stephenville

What was yesterday’s rankings between Alabama vs Auburn? Oh yeah, #1 vs #6.

It can happen! :thumbsup:

4A Division I

1 4A - 4 Argyle (12-0) 184.31
2 4A - 13 Waco La Vega (12-0) 182.94
3 4A - 9 Carthage (12-0) 180.24
4 4A - 5 Kennedale (11-1) 177.38
5 4A - 6 Midlothian Heritage (12-0) 173.50
6 4A - 3 Stephenville (10-2) 169.54
7 4A - 13 China Spring (9-3) 168.88
8 4A - 4 Wichita Falls Hirschi (10-2) 168.59
9 4A - 14 Fischer Canyon Lake (10-2) 167.20
10 4A - 9 Henderson (10-2) 165.77
11 4A - 9 Kilgore (9-3) 164.02
12 4A - 13 Liberty Hill (9-2) 162.61
15 4A - 4 Decatur (8-4) 161.07
19 4A - 10 Silsbee (7-4) 160.38
22 4A - 8 Kaufman (11-1) 159.52
23 4A - 7 Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (7-5) 159.19

LHPfactory
11-26-2017, 04:03 PM
I think this game could turn into a war like what we saw with LH vs Boerne in round 1. Argyle is a top dog, but I have a feeling they will see everything the Jackets have coupled with some fierce intangibles.

toddg
11-26-2017, 05:23 PM
LOL regal! The interesting discussions these days happen on an app. But I’ll chime in here. We can have a friendly banter this week. You threw the line out, I bit.

This game has been a match up that I’ve always wanted to see. This year, Argyle is the favorite and should be. Stephenville has a team this season that has came a long way from last year’s team. Most of this year’s starters are Jr’s with a couple of Sr’s... QB Jones and WR Aragon. Regardless of the outcome of this game, the Ville will be primed for a SC run for sure next season. Anything beyond last weeks win over Pampa is a bonus in my book. And to add, never ever count the Jackets out. There have been many games Stephenville has overcame adverse situations, stronger and more talented teams. This is just another one of those situations. Will Stephenville respond and play its best football this week? That’s the question. Because that is what it will take for the Jackets to win Friday. Their best complete game so far this season. I’ll name this game, the mini Iron Bowl. Argyle being Alabama and Stephenville being Auburn. It can happen. Lol
If Gillespie was still the coach, I would wholeheartedly agree with you assessment..but, not with the current coach.

slingshot
11-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Seen both, albeit Copeland was quarterbacking Argyle. Ville has had a great season—District Champs, beat Brownwood and Wylie, into the 3rd round of the playoffs. They have a good QB and a quick small RB, have good size on both lines of scrimmage and very good LB play. That all being said... Argyle is on another plain.
I suspect the game will be close for a quarter and then the Eagles blitzkrieg attack will hit. For the Jacket fans: remember Graham? Argyle is a lot like that except probably 2 TD’s better. Can Ville win? Yes. Is it at all likely? No. Will take a near perfect game and several Argyle mistakes. I do truly wish our district mates good luck and hope they can pull it off...

hollywood
11-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Seen both, albeit Copeland was quarterbacking Argyle. Ville has had a great season—District Champs, beat Brownwood and Wylie, into the 3rd round of the playoffs. They have a good QB and a quick small RB, have good size on both lines of scrimmage and very good LB play. That all being said... Argyle is on another plain.
I suspect the game will be close for a quarter and then the Eagles blitzkrieg attack will hit. For the Jacket fans: remember Graham? Argyle is a lot like that except probably 2 TD’s better. Can Ville win? Yes. Is it at all likely? No. Will take a near perfect game and several Argyle mistakes. I do truly wish our district mates good luck and hope they can pull it off...

Respectful post! I agree that Stephenville will have to play its best football Friday and Argyle make a few mistakes to pull an “upset”. But there is a realistic chance Stephenville could pull the upset. I’ve witnessed it many times before from Stephenville teams who were a little out matched with size and talent.

hollywood
11-26-2017, 07:59 PM
If Gillespie was still the coach, I would wholeheartedly agree with you assessment..but, not with the current coach.

Well you know, he was the OC in 2012. ;)

slingshot
11-26-2017, 08:34 PM
If Ville wins it won’t be an “upset”, it will be an UPSET!

regaleagle
11-27-2017, 12:08 AM
I must admit that I also have to agree that Stephenville has the pieces that could very well pull an upset over Argyle in this game. What I really mean is that I view the Yellowjackets as a team with all the ingredients it takes to win a regional championship this season......a very capable qb that can pass and run(a senior leader), a speedy talented rb, a balanced offense, a very stout defense, good size on the lines, and a good secondary. I guess Stephenville also has a good kicking game, Huh? Anyway......this is the type of team that can give all opponents......even top-ranked teams like Argyle, Carthage, Kennedale, and La Vega......plenty to overcome during the course of a single elimination game. I believe Stephenville is a very dangerous opponent for any team to face at this juncture in the season.......they have all the ingredients it takes to win a big one.

Sville
11-27-2017, 11:54 AM
The Jackets have the talent to play with anybody, their problem has been consistency on the offensive side of the ball all year. They have started fast in several of their games only to struggle later on in the game to score. They will have to have their best game of year (my Captain Obvious statement) and wear out #15 and #45 to win. The more likely scenario is the game will be very close at the half and the Eagles will assert themselves in the 2nd half. Either way I will be there cheering my Jackets on!

bleedgreen
11-27-2017, 01:00 PM
If you can't call for adjustments and then execute the adjustments, you'll have the same old thing.

regaleagle
11-27-2017, 09:24 PM
The Jackets have the talent to play with anybody, their problem has been consistency on the offensive side of the ball all year. They have started fast in several of their games only to struggle later on in the game to score. They will have to have their best game of year (my Captain Obvious statement) and wear out #15 and #45 to win. The more likely scenario is the game will be very close at the half and the Eagles will assert themselves in the 2nd half. Either way I will be there cheering my Jackets on!

Well.....that comes down to beating a good defense in some way. You have to figure out where the weakest point is on the defensive side and try to exploit it. If it's not on the lines or secondary, you might have to try some misdirection or trick plays. Or try the corners, then hit a few up the middle on slants when you pull in the linebackers. There's always a way and a spot, you just have to find it, work it, and then change up for a killer play. Set em up and knock em down. That's the way to beat a very good defense.

hollywood
11-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Well.....that comes down to beating a good defense in some way. You have to figure out where the weakest point is on the defensive side and try to exploit it. If it's not on the lines or secondary, you might have to try some misdirection or trick plays. Or try the corners, then hit a few up the middle on slants when you pull in the linebackers. There's always a way and a spot, you just have to find it, work it, and then change up for a killer play. Set em up and knock em down. That's the way to beat a very good defense.

That’s exactly what Auburn did to beat Alabama. Alabama’s D was guessing the entire game. Auburn’s Chip Lindsey called a beautiful game and the offense executed. Converted several 3rd downs as Bama would bring the blitz. Quick slants, bubble screens and QB draws. Bama had no answer.

Caveman
11-28-2017, 04:08 PM
This just went up on the fieldhouse bulletin board. http://theflashtoday.com/2017/11/24/68158/

hollywood
11-28-2017, 08:40 PM
This just went up on the fieldhouse bulletin board. http://theflashtoday.com/2017/11/24/68158/
Cool!

regaleagle
11-28-2017, 08:42 PM

Who's bulletin board.....Stephenville or Argyle? This is a great article and exactly what I expected to be true. On the E.Texas board, I outlined in the thread there how similar these two teams really are this season. Those folks over there don't know much about either team, and just assumed by the rankings that Argyle was gonna win this game just by showing up.....if you get my gist. Of course on this board we all know both teams, their pedigrees, the competition, and that the winner of this game could be the team that has the ball last, or a big turnover could determine the winner......I think it will prove to be that kind of game. At this point in the playoffs there are no easy games.....every team still playing has earned their way to this round. Some teams had early injuries and are just now hitting their strides.....while others have looked better and may just now have incurred some injuries to their starters. At this point, any little setback could become a huge difference in whether a team will advance to the next round.....and then there's these extra games that give all the teams more playing time to improve and become battle-tested. So you just don't ever know when one team.....a team like Stephenville this season.....will rise up and surprise the experts. There's no doubt in my mind this game will be a rockem sockem exciting battle on the Gridiron of Glory this Friday night......with no clearcut winner until the final minutes, IMHO. GO EAGLES!! :1popcorn:

hollywood
11-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Who's bulletin board.....Stephenville or Argyle? This is a great article and exactly what I expected to be true. On the E.Texas board, I outlined in the thread there how similar these two teams really are this season. Those folks over there don't know much about either team, and just assumed by the rankings that Argyle was gonna win this game just by showing up.....if you get my gist. Of course on this board we all know both teams, their pedigrees, the competition, and that the winner of this game could be the team that has the ball last, or a big turnover could determine the winner......I think it will prove to be that kind of game. At this point in the playoffs there are no easy games.....every team still playing has earned their way to this round. Some teams had early injuries and are just now hitting their strides.....while others have looked better and may just now have incurred some injuries to their starters. At this point, any little setback could become a huge difference in whether a team will advance to the next round.....and then there's these extra games that give all the teams more playing time to improve and become battle-tested. So you just don't ever know when one team.....a team like Stephenville this season.....will rise up and surprise the experts. There's no doubt in my mind this game will be a rockem sockem exciting battle on the Gridiron of Glory this Friday night......with no clearcut winner until the final minutes, IMHO. GO EAGLES!! :1popcorn:

Great post regal!

Ville-D
11-28-2017, 11:37 PM

The only mention of Argyle:

"Two things before completing this week’s First Financial Bank First Flash – Be prepared for all you will hear this week, because I know well how Stephenville fans don’t ever want to hear this – everyone outside Stephenville is going to pick Argyle to win, for one, and for two, such a pick is not foolish. Argyle is ranked No. 3 in 4A Division II, with plenty of astute football thinkers out there thinkin’ they should be No. 1.

I believe Argyle is the real deal.

I know Stephenville is.

They Yellow Jackets always are, as long there is just another average, run of the mill Stephenville quarterback at the controls."

...not sure how that is BB material, but there is plenty coming from the Argyle folks on the FNR app.

Ville-D
11-28-2017, 11:42 PM

One of the few reasonable posts from an Eagle fan that I have seen.

From the sound of them, most of the Argyle faithful have already ordered their 2017 SC rings... maybe it is just the vocal-minority, but they are very "confident"

slingshot
11-29-2017, 12:36 PM

From the sound of them, most of the Argyle faithful have already ordered their 2017 SC rings... maybe it is just the vocal-minority, but they are very "confident"

That would be a little premature... I do think they will get by an inspired and improving Stephenville team this weak and roll through Hirshi the next. It gets much tougher after that and seriously doubt they can beat Carthage in the final if they get that far. Good luck to Ville.

toddg
11-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Almost as confident as the stephenville posters in 2012

hollywood
11-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Almost as confident as the stephenville posters in 2012

There was a little homer support that year... Not gonna deny. :wave: But like I’ve said before, I wasn’t convinced totally until after the Ville man handled Kennedale that year in the 3rd round. Kennedale was LOADED in 2012.

regaleagle
11-30-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm not an "app" person, so I'm not really aware of all the banter going on about this game on a different platform. If the Argyllians are trash talking the Yellowjackets about the outcome of this game, then those fans are not what I would consider to be "knowledgeable" of 4A playoff football. OR......they just like the idea of giving the Stephenville faithful some barbs to say "Hello", hahaha. They do know this is the very first meeting between the schools in football, so that may be another reason for the banter. All in all, I can tell you that generally most Argyle fans respect the Stephenville football history.......and that's why they are involved in this game moreso than any others this season. If there's alot of talk going on this week from the Argyle faithful on the apps, just consider it a huge compliment to the Stephenville Yellowjackets.......your team has their attention. And if this is the case......I'm happy to hear about. It's been mighty quiet all season trying to drum up some support from the fanbase. But now we are finally at a very big game in the season......so I guess they have finally come to life. I'm guessing there will be a very large contingent from Argyle this week attending this game......me included. :2thumbsup What's that buzzing noise I hear???

Argyle by 10 pts.....38-28. GO EAGLES!!!

hollywood
11-30-2017, 01:11 PM
I'm not an "app" person, so I'm not really aware of all the banter going on about this game on a different platform. If the Argyllians are trash talking the Yellowjackets about the outcome of this game, then those fans are not what I would consider to be "knowledgeable" of 4A playoff football. OR......they just like the idea of giving the Stephenville faithful some barbs to say "Hello", hahaha. They do know this is the very first meeting between the schools in football, so that may be another reason for the banter. All in all, I can tell you that generally most Argyle fans respect the Stephenville football history.......and that's why they are involved in this game moreso than any others this season. If there's alot of talk going on this week from the Argyle faithful on the apps, just consider it a huge compliment to the Stephenville Yellowjackets.......your team has their attention. And if this is the case......I'm happy to hear about. It's been mighty quiet all season trying to drum up some support from the fanbase. But now we are finally at a very big game in the season......so I guess they have finally come to life. I'm guessing there will be a very large contingent from Argyle this week attending this game......me included. :2thumbsup What's that buzzing noise I hear???

Argyle by 10 pts.....38-28. GO EAGLES!!!

Still workin a flip phone regal?

regaleagle
11-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Still workin a flip phone regal?

Nah......I have an iphone......just don't know how to use the damn thing, LOL. :vrycnfsd:

regaleagle
12-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Good Day!! Friday December 1st......a very BIG day in Texas High School Football Playoff Action. Good Luck to all the teams still playing in their regional semis tonite. Looks like the weather will be very nice for football statewide this evening. GO EAGLES!!!:2thumbsup

regaleagle
12-01-2017, 09:30 AM
I wonder if any Wylie or Brownwood fans will be attending this game. I know this game is pretty close for the Alvarado fans. Not sure about the live video streaming.....but I guess that will be available for those staying home. Just too many really good games tonight all over the state to choose from and good weather to just stay home. If you really love Texas high school playoff football.....tonight will be the kind of night to attend a game.

regaleagle
12-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Since Argyle is home team......they will either be wearing their all-Black Attack or their Red. I guess the Yellowjackets will be in their white w/ blue trim. Traffic will be heavy, so I will be leaving Argyle plenty early to get a good seat and watch all the pregame warmups. Good luck to all the players and coaches from both teams. We all pray for safe travels and no injuries for those attending and playing in this contest tonight. Should be a very exciting game to attend.

jason
12-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I wonder if any Wylie or Brownwood fans will be attending this game. I know this game is pretty close for the Alvarado fans. Not sure about the live video streaming.....but I guess that will be available for those staying home. Just too many really good games tonight all over the state to choose from and good weather to just stay home. If you really love Texas high school playoff football.....tonight will be the kind of night to attend a game.
was hoping our game or the graham/sweetwater game would have been saturday

regaleagle
12-01-2017, 09:46 AM
was hoping our game or the graham/sweetwater game would have been saturday

Yeah.....two nights of 4A football nearby is better than one, huh? Decatur vs Hirschi is also tonite at C H Collins here in Denton. Easy trip for the Decatur faithful. Argyle's trip down to Mansfield will take longer than most expect with all the traffic. That stadium is not so easy to get to on a Friday in rush hour traffic. It's a much easier and closer drive to Jerry World from Argyle.....a more preferred destination anyway, LOL.

jason
12-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Yeah.....two nights of 4A football nearby is better than one, huh? Decatur vs Hirschi is also tonite at C H Collins here in Denton. Easy trip for the Decatur faithful. Argyle's trip down to Mansfield will take longer than most expect with all the traffic. That stadium is not so easy to get to on a Friday in rush hour traffic. It's a much easier and closer drive to Jerry World from Argyle.....a more preferred destination anyway, LOL.
i thought that may have been an option for this one - especially on a friday

Trashman
12-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Stephenville gets rolled up like a cheap garden hose.......

hollywood
12-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Stephenville gets rolled up like a cheap garden hose.......

You only hope.

Razorback88
12-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Argyle 49
Stephenville 28

LionFan72
12-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Argyle 49
Stephenville 28

Unrealallistic Bucko, Have some respect!

slingshot
12-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Unrealallistic Bucko, Have some respect! You’re right... don’t think Ville scores 28.

regaleagle
12-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Argyle made every mistake in the book tonight and paid dearly for it. Congrats to the Stephenville Yellowjackets on their big win......I know it's been awhile and probably feels realllly good, Huh?

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 12:05 AM
I've been to many Argyle games this season.......this was most definitely the worst performance by the Eagles all year. They boyz still had a chance to pull out a win in the end, but then muffed the punt. Then it wasn't over yet. They got the ball back with a couple of minutes left and drove it down to the Stephenville 10, and did it without any timeouts left. They ran a play with about 28 secs. left and burned about 13 secs. of clock. They ran the ball twice to score, but finally spiked it and opted for the easy field goal to take the game into overtime. Guess what??? Travis Garner can make this one in his sleep, but missed it. He just did not catch the ball with his foot right.....another big mistake that capped the night and kissed this season goodbye for the Argyle Eagles. Sometimes a team has a poor performance......and you say that the opponent had something to do with it. This is generally a true statement, but if you had seen Argyle play before and then saw them tonight.......you would agree with me. That's just the way the cookie crumbles......you show up ready to play and cannot make all the mistakes Argyle committed tonite at this level and expect to win. The crazy thing is they very well could have won the game with less than 30 secs. left, but screwed up that chance after Williams took it down to the 21 on a long run. Then they got to the point to where they had to take the field goal......and then missed that!! It was just too surreal all night long......I wonder if Grant and Terry hexed Argyle. They were definitely hexed tonight......without question, haha. Good luck to Stephenville the rest of the way. Better look out for those Hirschi Huskies.....they are very good on both sides of the ball.

jason
12-02-2017, 12:07 AM
Good football game. Sloppy at times. Penalties!
Was Argyle ever behind in a game before tonight?

Saw the comment about kicker making those in his sleep. He's usually pretty solid?

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 12:16 AM
Nope......not that I recall. Maybe against Celina??? I can't remember. They just were not ready the way they should have been. Clearman overthrew open receivers all night......and he's very accurate. I think he got too anxious about this game and overwhacked a whole bunch of early throws with open receivers......he did not have a good game and it hurt the team. He did settle down in the 2nd qtr and began throwing some good shots in tight coverage. Overall, it was a very poor performance in the first quarter and first half for Argyle....extending into the 3rd qtr. But they kept coming back and never got discouraged. That was the one good part of tonight's game for Argyle.....when everything was going wrong for them, they somehow kept the pedal down and kept staying in the game and actually gave themselves a chance to win it with less than 30 secs left. It was a tough season for Argyle this year.....losing Copeland but winning so big every week......and then to have this game tonite to end it on a bad outing. Let's chalk it up to building more character. Stephenville's qb Jones played well.....has a good arm. Missed a few open receivers like Clearman, but overall he did a very good job operating the offense for Stephenville.

Bosqueville
12-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Wow. Great win Jackets! Coach should be in the running for coach of the year!

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 12:22 AM
Travis Garner has not missed an extra point all season long, and made many field goals. This attempt was like an extra point......a puredee miss. It happens to kickers.....everything has to work right. Stephenville's kicker missed a kick in the first half, but it still made it over the crossbar......barely.

jason
12-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Stephenville just a little better tonight. It happens.

I'll post final stats when I'm home.

ccmom
12-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Travis Garner has not missed an extra point all season long, and made many field goals. This attempt was like an extra point......a puredee miss. It happens to kickers.....everything has to work right. Stephenville's kicker missed a kick in the first half, but it still made it over the crossbar......barely.

Didn't the Argyle kicker miss a FG earlier in the game too, or no? I was listening to a couple different games so maybe I have that wrong.

Nevertheless, what a game! Congrats Ville and congrats Argyle on another good run. It's the most wonderful time of the year, yes...even when my Bulldogs are playing basketball!! Love hs football!!

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Yes.....he missed two field goals tonite that he normally makes. Something was most definitely amiss on that team tonight.....in just about every category.....even a punt was blocked. These are just unusual happenings for Argyle......and the defense not even covering the corners for easy wide open passes to the running back. I have no idea why they played like this.

jason
12-02-2017, 01:06 AM
Final stats

Rush
S 206
A 149

Pass
S 268
A 245

Total
S 474
A 394

Turnovers
S 1
A 2

Sacks
S 4
A 3

First downs
S 25
A 19

Ville-D
12-02-2017, 01:33 AM
That would be a little premature... I do think they will get by an inspired and improving Stephenville team this weak and roll through Hirshi the next. It gets much tougher after that and seriously doubt they can beat Carthage in the final if they get that far. Good luck to Ville.

What was that?

Ville-D
12-02-2017, 01:34 AM
You’re right... don’t think Ville scores 28.

Again?

hollywood
12-02-2017, 02:42 AM
Yes.....he missed two field goals tonite that he normally makes. Something was most definitely amiss on that team tonight.....in just about every category.....even a punt was blocked. These are just unusual happenings for Argyle......and the defense not even covering the corners for easy wide open passes to the running back. I have no idea why they played like this.

First of all, congrats to Argyle on a great season. 12-0 is very respectable. The real season starts the first round of the playoffs. Regal, it’s because a better team will make a good team play out of character and the pressure causes mistakes. Stephenville was the better team tonight. That’s why Argyle struggled.

slingshot
12-02-2017, 08:51 AM
I’ll have my crow chicken fried with a cold one... great job Ville. Congrats on a great performance. Now win the next one.

jason
12-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Disclaimer: this is a little biased but still has some good analysis.

http://theflashtoday.com/2017/12/02/first-financial-bank-first-flash-was-that-really-an-upset/

First Financial Bank First Flash: Was that really an upset?
December 2, 2017 Brad Keith Sports, zAS-Stephenville HS, zAS-Top 0

They call it an upset because one team is ranked higher than the other, if the “other” is ranked at all.

I’m not trying to get philosophical and claim there are no upsets, that the better team is the one that wins and that’s just a matter of fact.

If that were true, the Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls at their peak would have been 82-0 as opposed to 72-10. Stephenville would have finished the sweep instead Kennedale coming back to win three straight sets in bi-district volleyball. Coach Alan Thorpe’s BeeBall team would never have lost to Sweetwater (Sweetwater?) immediately after knocking off 6A Coppell this week in Granbury.

Don’t even get me started on the WTAMU win over Tarleton in the regional tournament Thursday. THAT was an upset.

Appalachian State over Michigan. Upset.

The New York Football Giants with a giant Super Bowl catch by an otherwise no-name receiver to hold off the previously unbeaten New England Patriots.

Any time Brownwood is lucky enough to beat Stephenville….

Okay, the last one is just a dig.

Upsets happen.

But if you wondered into gorgeous Vernon Newsom Stadium Friday night having never seen a poll and having never herd of this Argyle side or that Stephenville team, would you think what you saw was an upset.

All I saw was Argyle get very upset.

In a literal term, not the figurative way the word is so often used in sports.

Stephenville T-totally manhandled Argyle in the first half. If you went into that stadium with that totally clean slate discussed above, at halftime you would have thought Stephenville must be upset to be ahead only by a touchdown.

You could say Argyle should have had 10 points on the board at half. And if the first deflected field goal by Cole Pettit was the only block of the night, I would tip my hat and yES, you’re right, that was an anomaly. Statistically speaking, if you kick and kick and kick, eventually you will have one blocked, and then you’ll move on and resume kicking cleanly once more.

But two blocked field goals, a blocked punt and a muffed punt you never should have touched. That’s not an upset, that’s a special teams unit with flaws that finally met an opponent capable of exposing them.That’s what happens when you whittle away all the layers of fat in a far-too-inclusive playoff system – you finally get down to 16 very good teams that expose the weaknesses in one another.

Stephenville successfully challenged Argyle in ways they supposedly could not be conquered. In a restaurant before the game, a man I guarantee knows more football than 90 – if not 10

0 – percent of hose reading this column said to a friend and I the way to attack Argyle is to run right at them.

Thirty minutes later the Yellow Jackets were pasting the oh so mighty Eagles with runs bouncing outside the tackles, with passes all over the field.

(Disclaimer- this friend also said he thought Stephenville could hurt Argyle by going upstairs to a certain big receiver who would be a matchup problem for the Argyle defense, and boy was he spot on with that.)

If a lineman doesn’t step too far down field (which had nothing to do with the success of the play) to negate a 36-yard touchdown pass at the first half buzzer, it’s 21-7.

Oh, and that blocked field goal? That proved to be a weakness exposed (what a low delivery, huh?), while Stephenville kicker Chase Carrlilo was clean all night – with a successful field goal and four PAT – besides his one miss.

Argyle people will say it should have been 14-10. But I saw a 24-minute whooping that looked every bit of 24-7.

The Eagles came back, sure. I mean, it’s not as if they were suddenly a bad team after going 12-0 including a 66-8 ara-round playoff win in which they led 59-0 by halftime.

But the Eagles never looked like the favorite, because mano-A-mano, down on the field where physicality, talent and a certain type of fortitude reign supreme, there was no upset Friday night.

The better team won.

The other team was just upset.

Mike Copeland all but wrote this week’s First Financial Bank First Flash column for me when he located Stephenville head coach Greg Winder as I was interviewing him immediately following the game.

Copeland didn’t congratulate Winder on pulling some kind of rabbit out of his hat. This was no magic trick

Copeland, who knows as much about athletic competition as any person I know, simply shook his hand and acknowledged Winder having successfully motivated his kids to play as hard as they did (in not so many words).

Mike Copeland didn’t witness an upset. The athletic director who has coached teams to district championships in more sports than he even knows the rules too just saw the better team play hard enough to expose the other.

The better team is headed to Fort Worth Chisholm Trail next Friday to try and shut down perhaps the best ball carrier in the state of Texas.9

Because the better team, the Stephenville team, ruled the nigh

And the Argyle team that looked prettier to those voting in the polls was left to trudge off the field.

Defeated.

And literally, not figuratively, upset.

rb585
12-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I've been to many Argyle games this season.......this was most definitely the worst performance by the Eagles all year. They boyz still had a chance to pull out a win in the end, but then muffed the punt. Then it wasn't over yet. They got the ball back with a couple of minutes left and drove it down to the Stephenville 10, and did it without any timeouts left. They ran a play with about 28 secs. left and burned about 13 secs. of clock. They ran the ball twice to score, but finally spiked it and opted for the easy field goal to take the game into overtime. Guess what??? Travis Garner can make this one in his sleep, but missed it. He just did not catch the ball with his foot right.....another big mistake that capped the night and kissed this season goodbye for the Argyle Eagles. Sometimes a team has a poor performance......and you say that the opponent had something to do with it. This is generally a true statement, but if you had seen Argyle play before and then saw them tonight.......you would agree with me. That's just the way the cookie crumbles......you show up ready to play and cannot make all the mistakes Argyle committed tonite at this level and expect to win. The crazy thing is they very well could have won the game with less than 30 secs. left, but screwed up that chance after Williams took it down to the 21 on a long run. Then they got to the point to where they had to take the field goal......and then missed that!! It was just too surreal all night long......I wonder if Grant and Terry hexed Argyle. They were definitely hexed tonight......without question, haha. Good luck to Stephenville the rest of the way. Better look out for those Hirschi Huskies.....they are very good on both sides of the ball.

What a horrible way to lose. That hurts to read...

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I was impressed by the Stephenville qb Easton Jones and their linebackers. I also thought Aragon at wideout was a really good player and big threat at anytime that Jones might be able to get a good pass to him. I could see where Stephenville had some holes in their secondary......but not a big deal unless you are facing a really good qb like Copeland. Vrana for Hirschi will be able to stand in there and deliver the ball to some of his speedy receivers. Stephenville has some tall boys at receiver......that helps at this level of the playoffs. In fact, I thought the whole team had good size across the board compared to a smallish Argyle this season. I think the Yellowjackets can still improve in some areas......they have good personnel to go really deep. BUT.....they need to get by a very good Hirschi team next week first......this game will not be easy. Hirschi is very fast and has some talented skill players. Those two DE's are very fast and they have an excellent MLB. Offensively, they can score from anywhere on the field. I think Stephenville's D-line did a good job overall against Argyle, but Williams was still able to get his 149 yds on them. Foster is better at rb than Williams......speedier, shiftier, can find the holes with great vision. Vrana at qb is tall and can run......he's athletic. Good luck to the Yellowjackets going forward......should be another very close game next week.

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 10:22 AM
In the bigger picture......you just cannot expect to win every year in Texas High School football. It's a very competitive sport and the most competitive in all the nation.....end of story. Argyle is 12-1 and 12-1 the past two years, going out in the 3rd round both times to very good teams. Before that, in the State Championship game for what.....5 out of 6 yrs. or something like that??? You just cannot expect a coaching staff or the players to keep winning every single year going undefeated or with only one loss and end up in the title game.....it just doesn't happen in Texas. I'm good with this season for this year's Argyle team.....they were not the biggest or most talented team to come thru, but they did do very well as a team. Congrats to Coach Rodgers, his staff, and most importantly all the players this year for a stellar season and the totality of effort given to get your team this far. GO EAGLES!!!

LHAG
12-02-2017, 11:35 AM
This is a very fun matchup. I like Argyle by three scores, but I think it could be closer than that score would indicate. There should be a loud, massive crowd on hand for this one. I really enjoy both of these teams. A shame one has to bow out in the third round. Winner here takes the region easily.

See my post titled "when did they change this". Liberty Hill was awarded a "Regional Championship" trophy last night after defeating China Spring. This occurred even though we play La Vega next week for Regiona 4 showdown. HUH?

LHPfactory
12-02-2017, 11:59 AM
I think this game could turn into a war like what we saw with LH vs Boerne in round 1. Argyle is a top dog, but I have a feeling they will see everything the Jackets have coupled with some fierce intangibles.

I had a hunch

bleedgreen
12-02-2017, 01:27 PM
In the bigger picture......you just cannot expect to win every year in Texas High School football. It's a very competitive sport and the most competitive in all the nation.....end of story. Argyle is 12-1 and 12-1 the past two years, going out in the 3rd round both times to very good teams. Before that, in the State Championship game for what.....5 out of 6 yrs. or something like that??? You just cannot expect a coaching staff or the players to keep winning every single year going undefeated or with only one loss and end up in the title game.....it just doesn't happen in Texas. I'm good with this season for this year's Argyle team.....they were not the biggest or most talented team to come thru, but they did do very well as a team. Congrats to Coach Rodgers, his staff, and most importantly all the players this year for a stellar season and the totality of effort given to get your team this far. GO EAGLES!!!

For West Orange Stark, I don't know where the end of their winning streak is. Maybe they should move up to 6A for pre-season games.

regaleagle
12-02-2017, 01:58 PM
I think Argyle's record the past 5 or 6 yrs. will prove to be the best of the best in any classification in Texas High School football. The past 10 yr record is also at the top of the list, so that's really a huge accomplishment in a football crazy state like Texas. It's a tribute to the program AD Coach Rodgers has built in not only the football program, but all sports programs. Had Argyle not lost that SC title game to Navasota on a couple of bad calls(no replay in high school SC games yet) the streak would have been intact thru at least 35 games.....Celina ended it in the 4th game of 2015. But the loss to Navasota ended it in the SC title game.....circumstantially. So the streak WOS has going on now in D-II is fantastic, but not just completely unbelievable. Just some food for thought there, folks. It is highly unusual in the State of Texas with all of the good teams.....you kinda figure somewhere along the way you'll have a bad outing or a team will catch you on a night of mistakes.......or a nightmare of mistakes, LOL. And sometimes that crazy football can just bounce the other way one time too many.

caleb_mccaig
12-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Lol the number of excuses for Argyle losing is a joke in this thread. Stephenville went out and took care of business. Argyle didn't.

End of story. Have fun on the basketball court Argyle.

hollywood
12-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Lol the number of excuses for Argyle losing is a joke in this thread. Stephenville went out and took care of business. Argyle didn't.

Yep, spot on. The QB wasn’t an excuse the weeks before for Argyle. Matter of fact, most were saying they haven’t missed a beat since Copeland was injured. Always hate to see a kid get injured. Argyle had been touting they were 2-3 deep in every position. And most of the 2’s would start on most 4A teams. Guess they stayed on the bus!

jason
12-03-2017, 07:32 PM

I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

Sweetwater Red
12-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Stephenville went out and took care of business. Argyle didn't.

This

regaleagle
12-03-2017, 09:32 PM
you guys are really something......just cannot stand the fact that Argyle whoops butt every single year with less talent. You just cannot wait to jump in and stick a needle any time Argyle has a bad game. I'm a righteous poster......unlike some here. All I have to say is go look in the mirror......I'm sure you will like what you see. Unless you were at the game, you have nothing to input of any significance that's meaningful......other than your barbs. I have never seen any Argyle poster on here insult or shoot barbs at another team or their posters......have you??? WELL.....HAVE ANY OF YOU???? Like I said before.....go look in the mirror. Grown men acting like little johnnies.

jason
12-03-2017, 10:03 PM
That escalated quickly.

Stephenville peaking at the right time.
Argyle gave up almost 500yds of offense and had 2 costly turnovers.

Yeah, Argyle made mistakes and had a 'bad' game. But don't forget Stephenville missed a fg, had a turnover in the red zone, and had a TD called back on a penalty just like Argyle so don't those all kind of cancel each other out?!?

#1 TEXAN
12-03-2017, 10:08 PM
you guys are really something......just cannot stand the fact that Argyle whoops butt every single year with less talent. You just cannot wait to jump in and stick a needle any time Argyle has a bad game. I'm a righteous poster......unlike some here. All I have to say is go look in the mirror......I'm sure you will like what you see. Unless you were at the game, you have nothing to input of any significance that's meaningful......other than your barbs. I have never seen any Argyle poster on here insult or shoot barbs at another team or their posters......have you??? WELL.....HAVE ANY OF YOU???? Like I said before.....go look in the mirror. Grown men acting like little johnnies.

Sounds like you can’t stand the fact the Ville was the better team Friday night!

hollywood
12-03-2017, 10:30 PM

LOL! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post where you used all caps. Let me tell you something, Argyle is a great program in all facets of athletics and academics. But you have to understand that all season long, all everyone heard was how great this year’s Argyle football team was. From many Argylians, it was said that this year’s team is the best group that’s ever put on the black and red. So when a team that wasn’t given a chance by anyone outside of the VILLE manhandles Argyle in the first half, yeah, it’s going to create a little banter and jabs at the subject. Argyle will be back again next season in great form. Rogers and company have created a great program. Again, congrats to Argyle on a great season. Much respect for their program.

regaleagle
12-05-2017, 05:16 AM
My posts are recorded here on this site and not on an app. I did not participate in those texts on the app. You are free to read my posts here anytime. I'm also on Smoaky with some posts of this game there. Don't group me in with posters that may not be as knowledgeable or fair as I am. The barbs were intended for me.....not the Argyle players or other posters on that app. In fact.....there may have been a few others....not Argyllians.....boasting about how good Argyle was this year. I don't think you ever read that from my posts, nor did I give any hint that I felt this team was the best ever......I knew better. Many of the Argyle fans have no clue of all the teams that have been thru Argyle like I have......just a fact. Many move off when their kids graduate, and then new homeowners come in with their young children so that they can attend a premier school.

hollywood
12-05-2017, 11:21 AM
My posts are recorded here on this site and not on an app. I did not participate in those texts on the app. You are free to read my posts here anytime. I'm also on Smoaky with some posts of this game there. Don't group me in with posters that may not be as knowledgeable or fair as I am. The barbs were intended for me.....not the Argyle players or other posters on that app. In fact.....there may have been a few others....not Argyllians.....boasting about how good Argyle was this year. I don't think you ever read that from my posts, nor did I give any hint that I felt this team was the best ever......I knew better. Many of the Argyle fans have no clue of all the teams that have been thru Argyle like I have......just a fact. Many move off when their kids graduate, and then new homeowners come in with their young children so that they can attend a premier school.

Just having a little fun jabbing regal. I can only imagine how many transplants come and go through Argyle over the course of the years being surrounded by an ever expanding metropolitan mess. Lol Enjoy reading your posts. Hopefully the Yellow Jackets will continue to play their brand of playoff football to the end. Whether that be this week or next or the next. We’ll have fun enjoying this ride as long as it lasts. Hope to meet you at a game sometime. I bet we’ve got a lot of Hs football memories we couple conversate about.

Trashman
12-05-2017, 04:23 PM
You only hope.

Well that didn't work out like I thought! This crow taste good. :ack!:

slingshot
12-05-2017, 06:21 PM
...This crow taste good. :ack!:Yup. Not a Ville booster but I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way... just as I would if BWD was still playing. Go Jackets! *cough, gag, choke*

83Indian
12-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Saw this one. Was a great game. Hopefully I can give an outsider objective look on this. Firstly i have followed Stephenville for a while and seen them play in many playoff games as well as firsthand watching my alma mater play them in district for several years. Argyle I have seen play twice now. Most of the comments on this thread have been spot on. Both teams committed turnovers, made mistakes, etc..

if this were a boxing match, the first three quarters belonged to Stephenville. The 4th quarter Argyle did what I though they would do and make it game. And they did. 30 seconds more and they probably win the game. But that in no way means I think they were the better team.

Stephenville was better at the skill positions , offensive line, and special teams. The first half was dominated by Stephenville. You could tell the offense was confident just the way they broke the huddle, lined up. They were crisp. I didn't see any fatigue. The coaches really had this team prepared.

Argyle made adjustments in the second half. QB had more time to throw, receivers were getting more open, offensive line started opening some running lanes. i don't think this surprised anyone.

Argyle defense especially in fourth quarter were very good. The dline was not that big but were gashing thru the line giving the QB no time to throw. Reminded me of the small southlake carroll line many years ago when they were dominating 3A. The Argyle running back was very elusive, could slip thru small holes and make adjustments to get into the secondary.

if I had to pick one big play, the muffed punt probably was it. That kid that ran back kicks was just too good. That was just a bad break.

I would suggest for Stephenville they forget about trying to burn the clock. The last two possessions were terrible and almost cost them the game. if you didn't notice, the ball was being snapped well before the play clock was about to run out. At least several times that I watched. I know these are high schools kids so no disrespect, just an observation.

For Argyle fans, I know that was a tough loss and I know you felt you were the better team. And why shouldn't you. Your record speaks for itself.

I didn't expect Stephenville to be back on top this year but once again you have a poised QB, a great running back. Two tall physical wide outs. A big offensive line. The defense probably surprised me the most.

Good luck Stephenville. If you make it out of Region I you have a shot.

Trashman
12-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Yup. Not a Ville booster but I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way... just as I would if BWD was still playing. Go Jackets! *cough, gag, choke*

Agreed, they have definitely earned my support.

slingshot
12-06-2017, 09:43 AM
OK Ville... that does it! You have Wood fans and Wylie fans rooting for you—you have to win now.

hollywood
12-06-2017, 10:26 AM
OK Ville... that does it! You have Wood fans and Wylie fans rooting for you—you have to win now.

You know I would do the same for the Wood or Wylie if they were in our shoes. :cheerl:

Oh by the way... congrats on making it to 5A! The fourth smallest 5A school. Good luck!!!

slingshot
12-06-2017, 10:47 AM
You know I would do the same for the Wood or Wylie if they were in our shoes. :cheerl:

Oh by the way... congrats on making it to 5A! The fourth smallest 5A school. Good luck!!!Thanks... we'll need it.

Sville
12-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Very good chance Wylie could be in district with Aledo.

slingshot
12-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Very good chance Wylie could be in district with Aledo.
That would actually be fine with us. Probably the least amount of travel. Will still be brutal (both the travel and the beat downs!).
I know we’ll get killed by the Aledos of the 5A world but historically we have won more than we’ve lost against mediocre 5A squads...

LionFan72
12-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Good luck Slingshot, be sure to stop by every now and then to visit with us "low" lifes, You are a goodun!

cougartino
12-08-2017, 02:01 AM
No disrespect to Argyle, but it's nice to see Stephenville back in the mix.

Sville
12-08-2017, 10:00 AM
https://youtu.be/cIr7LY8GV9k

stardog
12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
https://youtu.be/cIr7LY8GV9k

Was this game played in black and white ? What happened to Schools colors ? Lot of black and gray used now days with too much pink in October.

stardog
12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Good luck Slingshot, be sure to stop by every now and then to visit with us "low" lifes, You are a goodun!

Slingshot - advertise, recruit some 5A folks to join the Downlow, get the TXDL 5A Forum going.