PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Bowl

coach
11-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Tonight is the last game in The Tomato Bowl. Nacogdoches will be playing Jacksonville for a spot in the playoffs.

The Tomato Bowl will be renovating its stadium. It will be adding turf, new bleachers, and even new stands.

waterboy
11-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Tonight is the last game in The Tomato Bowl. Nacogdoches will be playing Jacksonville for a spot in the playoffs.

The Tomato Bowl will be renovating its stadium. It will be adding turf, new bleachers, and even new stands.

That stadium definitely has character. I think they're supposed to keep it looking as close to original as possible. The visitors stands were dangerous and small, and there is still no parking to speak of. Are they going to address the lack of parking?

buckeyebob
11-11-2017, 10:17 AM
That stadium definitely has character. I think they're supposed to keep it looking as close to original as possible. The visitors stands were dangerous and small, and there is still no parking to speak of. Are they going to address the lack of parking?

A roaring train, small, uncomfortable, total lack of parking...like being in a deer stand...may be character in you book...more like a stye

Txbroadcaster
11-11-2017, 11:16 AM
My first game I broadcast there I thought the place was cool...for 15 mins. It is a terrible stadium wrapped up in history.

Matthew328
11-12-2017, 10:27 PM
I am not sure they can do much about the parking unless they buy some property.....I enjoy the old stadiums....I hope they can take a page out of Alamo Stadium's book and renovate it with modern amenities but keep the soul of the stadium

coach
11-13-2017, 08:54 AM
They are putting 16 mil. into the place. After the game they had a ceremony and fireworks. I stole a HUGE chunk of sod. As long as they update the locker rooms I don't care what else they do to the place.

buckeyebob
11-13-2017, 07:39 PM
They are putting 16 mil. into the place. After the game they had a ceremony and fireworks. I stole a HUGE chunk of sod. As long as they update the locker rooms I don't care what else they do to the place.

I say you have Kooties & don't realize it yet...I gave you more credit

Rocket Man
11-13-2017, 07:49 PM
My wife & I went to a playoff game there back in the 90’s, Robinson against Center. I thought it was pretty neat place, but can imagine it needing some renovating. Memorable place, I hope they keep its character intact.

Aesculus gilmus
11-13-2017, 08:02 PM
http://www.jisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=662644&type=d&pREC_ID=1113300

I hope we never have to play there again, but I thought it'd be neat if the teams playing there would get into the Depression Era mood by wearing vintage football uniforms complete with leather helmets.

Corn Cob
11-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Okay, I’m sure I’m missing the obvious, but I read the whole article on the history of the Tomato Bowl, and browsed the website, and I never saw an explanation of why it’s named the Tomato Bowl. Did I miss something? Can someone explain?

coach
11-14-2017, 08:54 AM
They are keeping the rock walls.

Corn Cob - I am pretty sure Jacksonville was once famous for their tomatoes.

coach
11-14-2017, 08:56 AM
I say you have Kooties & don't realize it yet...I gave you more credit

If you step foot into the locker room, you are likely to catch more than just Kooties.