PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Wylie @ Stephenville - District Championship

hollywood
11-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Here we are. The anticipated district championship game between the two undefeated teams in the district. Both teams have faced some adversity in the injury department earlier in the season. With the majority of both teams being healthy, this should be a knock down drag out of a game. Give me the VILLE by 13 in front of the home crowd!

P.S. Get there early Wylie fans, your seating is limited. The band will be placed on the intramural fields a couple of hundred yards away due to seating capacity. But they are loud enough, so no harm no foul! :2thumbsup

slingshot
11-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Seriously? They couldn’t wait until the end of the season to demolish the stands? Ville is playing at home— +7, they are a marginally better team talent and size wise — +3. We have Sandifer and Martin— +14. Wylie by 4.

Wayne
11-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Should be a good one! Going with the Ville in a close one.

Eagle Nation
11-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Winner sets up the possible 3rd match up with Argyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hollywood
11-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Seriously? They couldn’t wait until the end of the season to demolish the stands? Ville is playing at home— +7, they are a marginally better team talent and size wise — +3. We have Sandifer and Martin— +14. Wylie by 4.

LOL.. the band May have to stay on the bus! Just kidding.. I think I heard the band will be in temporary bleachers behind one of the end zones. Not certain though. Apparently construction was delayed a couple of weeks so here we are. Having to deal with it for the Wylie game.

briandumith*
11-05-2017, 09:56 PM
What a the seating cappisty at Jacket Stadium? Wonder if it would be a better venue choice if seating was "really" an issue...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Tejastrue
11-05-2017, 10:42 PM
LOL.. the band May have to stay on the bus! Just kidding.. I think I heard the band will be in temporary bleachers behind one of the end zones. Not certain though. Apparently construction was delayed a couple of weeks so here we are. Having to deal with it for the Wylie game.

By design?? lol

hollywood
11-05-2017, 11:19 PM
By design?? lol

LOL... exactly! Maybe a little strategic planning there?!

It’s really not the case but you know the rumors are already flying on the southwest side of Abilene! :1popcorn:

hollywood
11-05-2017, 11:27 PM
What a the seating cappisty at Jacket Stadium? Wonder if it would be a better venue choice if seating was "really" an issue...

Seating capacity at Jacket Stadium is zero. At Tarleton’s Memorial it’s approx 7,500. I’ve seen well over 10,000 pack that stadium where they allowed roped off standing room behind both endzones. Mostly for the rival games vs Brownwood. Back in the days of glory!

Tejastrue
11-05-2017, 11:29 PM
LOL... exactly! Maybe a little strategic planning there?!

It’s really not the case but you know the rumors are already flying on the southwest side of Abilene! :1popcorn:

Got to love it..lmao!

ccmom
11-05-2017, 11:43 PM

Jacket Stadium? Is that near the Whatburger in Brownwood? ;)

d0tc0m
11-06-2017, 08:22 AM
This ought to be a good one, and there should be a loud, noisy environment in Stephenville on Friday night. I would love to make this one.

BwdLion73
11-06-2017, 09:12 AM

They could play halfway at Brownwood. Wylie would win by forfeit since the Jackets have always refused to play @ Gordon Wood Stadium. ;)

slingshot
11-06-2017, 10:51 AM
They could play halfway at Brownwood. Wylie would win by forfeit since the Jackets have always refused to play @ Gordon Wood Stadium. ;)

Would love to do that... or, since the Ville posters are fine with the current state of affairs at their broke down stadium they could sit in the temporary bleachers and let us have the home side. Something tells me a significant percentage of the Wylie faithful (and there will be a large contingent of them there) will be standing for this one.

jason
11-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Pigskin Prep has Stephenville favored at -8 for what it's worth...

bleedgreen
11-06-2017, 05:28 PM
I'm going with a Jacket win simply because of home field advantage.

hollywood
11-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Jacket Stadium? Is that near the Whatburger in Brownwood? ;)

Hahahaha.. that’s so old, even a glass of the worlds finest Cab in your hand cannot compare. :taunt:

slingshot
11-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Man... where is garciap77 when you need him? :thinking:

hollywood
11-06-2017, 11:15 PM
Man... where is garciap77 when you need him? :thinking:

Where has that young man been hiding?! MIA for a while now. Probably sipping Perrier with Rocket somewhere around Area 51.

regaleagle
11-07-2017, 08:24 AM
I'm guessing both teams are back to relatively full strength with their starters......is this correct??? I would say that both teams have good defenses to keep the scoring in the 4 td range or less for the winner. Stephenville allows around 18 points per game against it schedule and Wylie has allowed 20 pts per game against theirs. Both teams went thru some games without key skill players due to injuries. Argyle scored 56 and Brownwood 38 against Wylie in back to back weeks in that period......so it skewed their average for points allowed upward.

jason
11-07-2017, 09:02 AM
SHS AD ASKS FANS NOT TO SIT ON VISITOR'S SIDE FOR WYLIE GAME
SHS Athletic Director Mike Copeland said that because of ongoing renovation work being done at Tarleton State's Memorial Stadium where the Wylie game will be played, Stephenville fans are asked to not sit on the visitor's side that night, which will be Senior Night for the Jackets.
The rest of the message states:
"The visitor's bleachers at TSU are being taken down as we speak. There are already 2 portable bleachers of 500 each set up and then we will be getting 2 more portable bleachers of 500 each set up for the Abilene Wyile game. There will only be a total of 2,000 seats available on the visitor's side for the Abilene Wylie game and the Abilene Wylie Band will take up 200 of those 2,000."

hollywood
11-07-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm guessing both teams are back to relatively full strength with their starters......is this correct??? I would say that both teams have good defenses to keep the scoring in the 4 td range or less for the winner. Stephenville allows around 18 points per game against it schedule and Wylie has allowed 20 pts per game against theirs. Both teams went thru some games without key skill players due to injuries. Argyle scored 56 and Brownwood 38 against Wylie in back to back weeks in that period......so it skewed their average for points allowed upward.

I’m thinking a final 34-21 or 41-28 type of game Ville winning. :cheerl:

But would not be surprised of a 28-20 Ville win either.

slingshot
11-07-2017, 03:18 PM

I'm thinking Wylie 21-17... and a bunch of pissed off Bulldog fans because they have no place to sit. In all seriousness if Ville doesn't have a functional stadium for a game like this the venue should have been changed.

jason
11-07-2017, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking Wylie 21-17... and a bunch of pissed off Bulldog fans because they have no place to sit. In all seriousness if Ville doesn't have a functional stadium for a game like this the venue should have been changed.

the stadium is functional - it's just not going to be comfortable on the visitor side

db8coach
11-07-2017, 04:07 PM
I think the Jackets win and break Wylie's District undefeated streak.

BwdLion73
11-07-2017, 04:21 PM
the stadium is functional - it's just not going to be comfortable on the visitor side

...says the man who just opened a lawn chair rental business at memorial stadium,,,:thinking:

Dawgs
11-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Gimme Wylie all day. This is about the time of year they start to turn it on.

slingshot
11-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Honest appraisal? Ville is bigger and deeper along both lines of scrimmage--advantage Ville. QB's are a wash--King is a great passer but is limited in mobility with the knee injury, Jones is still not right from the elbow injury. Running game? Ville will try to run it down our throat with their stud RB and bigger line, Wylie will try to run off tackle and use the short passing game to get our small but very quick backs the ball into the secondary and our smaller but very mobile linemen downfield to block--wash. Both defensive backfields and LB's look very solid-wash. WR's are quite good for both teams-wash. Expect Wylie to hit one or two deep to keep the defense honest. Ville will try to do the same. Coaching? Gotta give us the nod here, advantage Wylie. The one intangible in our favor is recent history--most of the Wylie kids have played into December the last two years--State Semi's in 2016 and State Championship game in 2017. Advantage Wylie. I really think this will be a very tactical, relatively low-scoring game and will probably come down to execution at the end of the game. Everything a district championship game should be!

db8coach
11-07-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm usually not one for putting high school games on TV. But this one should be at least taped and put online somewhere.

Sville
11-07-2017, 05:17 PM
AW fans, I have 3 season ticket seats on 50 yd row 16, I will be using only 1 of those seats. You are more than welcome to come sit in my other 2 seats.

Sville
11-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Sville has some really good potential and if they can realize it and put it together at the this time of year, who knows where it could end.

jason
11-07-2017, 05:27 PM
AW fans, I have 3 season ticket seats on 50 yd row 16, I will be using only 1 of those seats. You are more than welcome to come sit in my other 2 seats.
hell, i might need those

SHSBulldog00
11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Bring lawn chairs.

What about the concession stands and restrooms on the visitor side? Will Wylie fans be allowed to bring in ice chest?

jason
11-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Bring lawn chairs.

What about the concession stands and restrooms on the visitor side? Will Wylie fans be allowed to bring in ice chest?

Bring a bucket!

Sville
11-08-2017, 11:39 AM
hell, i might need those

Come on

slingshot
11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Wylie administration expecting 3000-3500 fans will make the trip... to find 1700-1800 seats available. Ridiculous.

Bosqueville
11-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Wylie administration expecting 3000-3500 fans will make the trip... to find 1700-1800 seats available. Ridiculous.

I agree but I doubt Tarleton is too worried about it. They just want the stadium finished by next August.

jason
11-10-2017, 12:09 PM
It is what it is. Hope they communicate to the Wylie community what to expect.

slingshot
11-10-2017, 12:19 PM
It is what it is...
...and it SUCKS.

regaleagle
11-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Such a big game......and such shortsightedness by those in charge of the decision about the venue.......totally insane IMO. Argyle plays LaGrange in a "home" game for them at UMHB Crusader Stadium......Lovejoy in the Tom Landry Classic @ Allen's stadium.......this year. And those were only predistrict games.......this one is for the District Championship. Part of the allure for Texas High School Football is the local support and fanbase........a huge part. I'm certain many fans from Stephenville that support this Yellowjackets team must also be wondering why the decision was made to keep this game at Tarleton when the visitor's side stands is under construction........just a complete travesty if you ask most fans in the state. Heck, they could have played this game in a number of other mutually acceptable venues that would be able to accommodate the seating capacity. Sounds to me like there will be quite a few Wylie fans standing to watch this game......not very accommodating if you ask me.

hollywood
11-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Again, it was A&M’s system that made the decision. SISD and TSU have a long standing relationship. It was out of their control. Want to point the blame, point it at A&M. Damn aggies

jason
11-10-2017, 01:24 PM
I'm certain many fans from Stephenville that support this Yellowjackets team must also be wondering why the decision was made to keep this game at Tarleton when the visitor's side stands is under construction........just a complete travesty if you ask most fans in the state.

It could have been a mess all season like it was scheduled to be. It's one game. The field is still 120 yards long and 53 yards wide and the locker rooms still have electricity (at least I heard they did).
Glad I have reserved parking though, that's going to be the bigger mess...

slingshot
11-10-2017, 01:28 PM
It could have been a mess all season like it was scheduled to be. It's one game. The field is still 120 yards long and 53 yards wide and the locker rooms still have electricity (at least I heard they did).
Glad I have reserved parking though, that's going to be the bigger mess...They could not have waited ONE MORE WEEK? This game should have been changed to a different venue. Guess we should block off half the visitor's side seats next time ya'll come to Abilene. Wonder how that would go over... :rolleyes:

hollywood
11-10-2017, 01:33 PM
They could not have waited ONE MORE WEEK? This game should have been changed to a different venue. Guess we should block off half the visitor's side seats next time ya'll come to Abilene. Wonder how that would go over... :rolleyes:

Another mark against the aggies. Lol

Btw, there’s a local business that sells lawn chairs. They may even have purple ones. Probably more comfy than aluminum bleachers anyway. Good luck! :thumbsup:

toddg
11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
If the Stephenville tax payers, and ISD, really cared, they would have their own stadium..of course Tarleton cares..they make more money on the yelliwjackets than they do with their own football team..and A&M?..why the hell should they care!! Granbury, Glen Rose, and even Aledo would have been suitable alternatives

toddg
11-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Again, it was A&M’s system that made the decision. SISD and TSU have a long standing relationship. It was out of their control. Want to point the blame, point it at A&M. Damn aggies
It isn't A&M's fault, I'm sure SISD had plenty of notice of the situation at memorial..and, most likely didn't care about the accommodations for the Wylie fans, like Jason said..it IS, what IT is.

bleedgreen
11-10-2017, 04:22 PM
How soon do I need to be at the stadium to get a seat?

slingshot
11-10-2017, 04:52 PM
How soon do I need to be at the stadium to get a seat?Early if you want to sit on the (non-existent) Wylie side... should be no problem on the home side.

ccmom
11-10-2017, 05:28 PM
It is what it is. Hope they communicate to the Wylie community what to expect.

There were multiple emails sent out and it was posted on the website and social media etc. According to the info sent, SISD said the area for lawn chairs will be limited. They also sent out info about parking and other stuff. This will be a challenge for the elderly and those with physical limitations.

At any rate, Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweetwater Red
11-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Well, this is disappointing. Would've loved to play Graham at TSU should our paths have crossed in the playoffs.

jason
11-10-2017, 06:31 PM
We just went and dropped off a vehicle in the booster club lot. No one there yet.

bleedgreen
11-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Got lucky with a reserve seat. Nice fans on Stephenville side.

jason
11-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Big crowd on Wylie side...

jason
11-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Got lucky with a reserve seat. Nice fans on Stephenville side.where? I'm sec C, row 10, 13-15

hollywood
11-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Well, I was dang close. Final 33-20 Sville. The Jacket D held AWylie O to 14 pts. Pretty salty if you ask me. Great game for the District Championship.

Good game Wylie fans. It was a great game with a few momentum changes.

ccmom
11-10-2017, 11:42 PM
Well, I was dang close. Final 33-20 Sville. The Jacket D held AWylie O to 14 pts. Pretty salty if you ask me. Great game for the District Championship.

Good game Wylie fans. It was a great game with a few momentum changes.

Congrats and good luck.

jason
11-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Final stats

Rush
Sv 186
Aw 18 (-16 in first half)

Pass
Sv 221
Aw 213

Total
Sv 407
Aw 231

bleedgreen
11-11-2017, 01:02 PM
where? I'm sec C, row 10, 13-15

Sorry, I didn't see your post or I would've come to meet you.
I happened to sit next to the former Jacket band director and we sat next to a lot of fervent fans (the entire home side).
I'm glad I came to the game because Kennedale hasn't had an interesting game since WOS. Before the game, I gave the Jackets a home field advantage win that I thought might be a toss-up and I guess it worked out.
I found out the visitor side is undergoing construction for a big new home side. The Dawgs couldn't hear their fans unless they were in either red zone. AW quarterback didn't stay in the pocket much and never really got comfortable. He was throwing the ball away a lot and even kicked the ball out of bounds on purpose one time. The Jacket defense rose to the occasion. Good luck in the playoffs and keep that intensity up.

db8coach
11-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Didn't this break a streak of undefeated district games?

slingshot
11-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Didn't this break a streak of undefeated district games?

It did. Been saying all year we are down several notches from the last few years--just don't have the beef up front on either line to be competitive with big squads that are well coached. Losing our two best o-linemen the last two games doesn't help. Our kids play hard and are scrappy and will still possibly go 2-3 rounds in the playoffs but a deep run like the last two years (Semi's and State Championship Game) is highly unlikely. That being said--if anyone can take a team like ours to the Quarters or Semis it is Coaches Sandifer and Martin...

db8coach
11-13-2017, 11:56 AM
It did. Been saying all year we are down several notches from the last few years--just don't have the beef up front on either line to be competitive with big squads that are well coached. Losing our two best o-linemen the last two games doesn't help. Our kids play hard and are scrappy and will still possibly go 2-3 rounds in the playoffs but a deep run like the last two years (Semi's and State Championship Game) is highly unlikely. That being said--if anyone can take a team like ours to the Quarters or Semis it is Coaches Sandifer and Martin...

How many district games in a row was the streak?

slingshot
11-13-2017, 01:21 PM
We lost to Monahans in district in 2013. Think we had won 19 straight district games since then...

db8coach
11-15-2017, 11:01 AM
We lost to Monahans in district in 2013. Think we had won 19 straight district games since then...

This is the first time in a LONG TIME that Wylie didn't win a least part of their district championship.

slingshot
11-15-2017, 12:37 PM
This is the first time in a LONG TIME that Wylie didn't win a least part of their district championship.I think 2011 was the last time we have not had at least a share of the district championship. Just too beat up and too small and thin on the lines of scrimmage... even at full strength we would have struggled with Stephenville. They have a pretty decent team this year--still have no clue how they could have lost to Lubbock Monterey?

db8coach
11-15-2017, 03:46 PM
I think 2011 was the last time we have not had at least a share of the district championship. Just too beat up and too small and thin on the lines of scrimmage... even at full strength we would have struggled with Stephenville. They have a pretty decent team this year--still have no clue how they could have lost to Lubbock Monterey?

From what I heard, SVille was kinda banged up early in the season and got better as the year went on.

jason
11-15-2017, 04:16 PM
I think 2011 was the last time we have not had at least a share of the district championship. Just too beat up and too small and thin on the lines of scrimmage... even at full strength we would have struggled with Stephenville. They have a pretty decent team this year--still have no clue how they could have lost to Lubbock Monterey?

injuries - easton jones wasn't 100% at qb yet and our RB was still out from the injury in graham game...defense was still coming around...

caleb_mccaig
11-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Haven't been around much at all this season, but it's awesome to see how far Stephenville has come. I knew they'd be much improved this year, but from what I've read/seen video of they have matured greatly.

They're a great group of kids and I love it for Winder, especially after a rough couple of seasons to start things off.

I'm hoping to make a playoff game.

jason
11-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Haven't been around much at all this season, but it's awesome to see how far Stephenville has come. I knew they'd be much improved this year, but from what I've read/seen video of they have matured greatly.

They're a great group of kids and I love it for Winder, especially after a rough couple of seasons to start things off.

I'm hoping to make a playoff game.all roads lead to a 3rd round matchup with argyle

slingshot
11-15-2017, 05:49 PM
all roads lead to a 3rd round matchup with argyle...even without Copeland honestly think Argyle wins that one by 2-3 TD’s. Time will tell.

jason
11-15-2017, 08:12 PM
...even without Copeland honestly think Argyle wins that one by 2-3 TD’s. Time will tell. maybe. That's why you play the game.

slingshot
11-15-2017, 08:44 PM
maybe. That's why you play the game.Absolutely. That was just my humble opinion. Anything can happen (and often does in Texas high school football).