PDA

View Full Version : Wichita Falls Hirschi(7-1, 3-0) @ Argyle(8-0, 3-0) for the District Championship

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 12:13 PM
It's been quite a while since Argyle has not won a district championship......that would have to go back to the days with Celina when we both were still in 2A.......I'll check it out. NOPE .....it was 2008 when Argyle last did not win the district championship. We were in 3A that year with Prosper and Celina in our district. Prosper won it that year(14-1, 5-0) and won State at Jerry World against Waco La Vega. Celina went (12-4, 4-1) that year and lost to Carthage at Jerry World in D-2, and Argyle went (7-5, 3-2) losing to Kaufman in the 2nd Round. That was the last year Argyle has lost a district game. The most losses in a single season since that time has been two.....one in predistrict and one in the playoffs in a few seasons of that 10-yr timespan. Last year Argyle lost only one game to Abilene Wylie in the 3rd Round. This year it appears Wichita Falls Hirschi will be the team that could upset that record......maybe. Let's just say they are definitely a team with the athletes and numbers to be considered contenders not only for the district title, but also for a deep run in the playoffs.

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Hirschi's only loss this season came in Game 3 against an undefeated and highly ranked Graham team.....42-35. This game was by far the closest margin of any game this season for the Huskies.....they've won every other game with ease by at least 26 points and more. For those of you not aware.....Hirschi has an outstanding RB named Daimarque Foster who has rushed for 2137 yds in 8 games this season.....that's a whopping 267 yds/game average, LOL.....by one guy!! And that's not all.....they have a better than average passing game to go with it. AND a very good defense!! Let's take a closer look at these Wichita Falls Huskies players and numbers this season.

Dawgs
10-29-2017, 01:10 PM
On another thread Jason and myself are wondering about the QB. Has anybody confirmed the injury? I read torn MCL and ACL.

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Comparing the numbers doesn't always tell the story of which team will win, but it gives a good indication of the strengths of each team. Here's Hirschi's and Argyle's numbers thru 8 games this season according to MaxPreps:

Total Points Scored: Hirschi...418 for an average of 52.25/game
Argyle...404 for an average of 50.50/game
Total Points Allowed: Hirschi...136 for an average of 17.00/game
Argyle...117 for an average of 14.63/game
Total Yds Rushing: Hirschi....2682 for an average of 335.3/game scoring 39 TDs
Argyle....1885 for an average of 235.6/game scoring 26 TDs

Total Yds Passing: Hirschi....1391 for an average of 173.9/game scoring 16 TDs
Argyle....2216 for an average of 277.0/game scoring 26 TDs
Total Offensive yds excluding returns from kicks, interceptions and fumbles: Hirschi....4073 for an avg. of 509.13 yds/game
Argyle....4101 for an avg. of 512.63 yds/game

As you can readily see, the total offensive numbers are very close. Hirschi is obviously stronger in their running game while Argyle is very balanced in both rushing and passing.

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Daimarque Foster#5, RB(5-10, 190 junior) has 2137 yds on 147 carries for 14.5 yds/carry and scored 30 TDs. He has caught 9 passes for 114 yds and scored 3 TDs. Martez Vrana#17, QB(6-2, 175 senior) has thrown for 1391 yds completing 79 of 132 attempts and 15 TDs with 2 interceptions. He has rushed for 113 yds. on 53 carries and scored 6 TDs. Javen Banks#13, WR(6-2, 170 senior) and #4 Xavier Wilson, WR(6-0 165 senior) are Vrana's favorite receivers. Banks has 26 catches for 512 yds and 8 TDs while Wilson has 24 catches for 552 yds and 3 TDs. These are the main weapons for the Huskies this season offensively. On defense Ezekiel Holmes #33@DE(6-5, 205 senior) has 58 tackles, 2 sacks and 17 tackles for loss. At the other DE is #80 Amiri Campbell(6-1, 195 senior) with 28 tackles, 2 sacks, and 6 tackles for loss. Isaiah White #7, MLB(5-7, 180 senior) has 95 tackles, 6 sacks, and 14 tackles for loss, and one interception.....so he's their best defensive player. Fred Fleeks #9, LB(5-10, 185 soph) has 62 tackles at the other LB position. In the secondary at free safety is #6 Nate Downing(5-9, 170 junior) also with 62 tackles and 2 interceptions.

ccmom
10-29-2017, 02:33 PM
On another thread Jason and myself are wondering about the QB. Has anybody confirmed the injury? I read torn MCL and ACL.

Yeah I read that too but then read someone else's post (a different forum) that said he would play Friday. Regal?

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 03:06 PM
Just looking at the HUDL Game Recap clips......Hirschi is very athletic at the skill positions, has big boys on both lines, a pair of good defensive ends and linebackers, and the secondary can cover and make the interception. They definitely have speed......made Sanger and Decatur look slow. Decatur and Sanger are not slow.....apparently not as fast as Hirschi though, LOL. Foster is ridiculously good as a runner.....a natural. He's a true north-south runner that is slippery and has a strong lower body. He's very quick and has great speed. He breaks tackles with ease and has great vision to see the smallest opening. He changes direction almost effortlessly and glides right past the defender without losing a step. You really have to see this guy to believe it. He's has Larry Rose moves but is bigger and stronger with equal speed.....for those of you that remember Larry Rose of Fairfield. Basically.....he makes defenses look slow and out of position when they aren't. Vrana has a good arm and is accurate......a pretty good one-two punch with athletic and speedy receivers. Pretty good team if you ask me.

ros

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Yeah I read that too but then read someone else's post (a different forum) that said he would play Friday. Regal?

No comment on the injury to Copeland......I don't really know for sure anyway.

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 03:48 PM
The outcome of this game will determine the seedings going forward in the Region I D-1 Playoffs and who will play whom. It could make a big difference somewhere down the line.

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 04:32 PM

According to today's Denton Record-Chronicle.....Copeland suffered a non-contact ACL and partial MCL tear in his left leg. Looks like bad news for Copeland and the Eagles, but it's next man up. Argyle has a very good running game and both Hayden Clearman and Alex Gonzales are proven Qb's that have the speed and arms to lead this team offensively. Not sure yet which one will emerge as the starter, but I have a feeling it will be Soph. Alex Gonzales because Clearman is a top player on the defensive side.

regaleagle
10-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, there will be no All-State possibilities for Copeland going forward.....he was headed in that direction more than any other QB in 4A at this juncture in the season. I'm sure there were scouts on his trail looking at his abilities.....that still could happen for him.....he's really got all the tools to play at the next level. I'm guessing there is just not enough time for him to come back this season with this type of injury. My best wishes for Jon Copeland......I hope he heals up fast and returns to play the game he loves.

Wayne
10-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Unfortunate for sure.... That's the scary part about the end of the season. You try to keep everyone healthy for the playoffs and pray you don't lose anyone.

ccmom
10-29-2017, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear that about Copeland. Tough deal for sure...

slingshot
10-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Really sorry to hear that. He was definitely the best QB we faced this year.
Argyle is still the odds on favorite in Reg 1... but their separation from the pack just narrowed.

Dawgs
10-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Bad news for Copeland. Hate to hear that news espcially in his senior season. I think if any program can overcome this it's Argyle. Hope he heals fast.

Makes you wonder what the starting QB was doing in the game in the 4th quarter up by 21. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

jason
10-29-2017, 10:12 PM

http://texashsfootball.com/report-argyle-eagles-2000-yard-passer-done-season-injury/

regaleagle
10-30-2017, 02:27 AM
I think at this point it is very important for the Eagles to put this setback in the rearview mirror and move forward to this next game.....it's the biggest one of the season thus far for this group. Part of football is accepting that some of your teammates may become injured during the season.....even your starting QB. Luckily, Argyle and the Argyle coaching staff have prepared for this unfortunate circumstance and will have some options for the team to move forward with a plan for success in place. The team chemistry will now become even more important for the players to depend upon each other more than ever. Perhaps we will see more self-discipline and less senseless penalties in the coming weeks......there are plenty of ways to improve play for the Eagles.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 01:52 AM
I'ma thinkin' this Hirschi team is much improved from Game 3 when they lost a close one to Graham. I think all of these big wins and scoring has given their athletes a green light to play up to their abilities......they are very athletic as a team. They know they can expect D. Foster to get at least 200 yds rushing, and this helps open up opportunities for the other skill players in both the running and passing game. It wasn't like that for them earlier in the season, but now.....now they are realizing the total team potential they can exert on the field. This helps D. Foster to get even more yards, and his abilities lend to help the other skill players become more effective. It's really a plus plus situation going on for the Huskies.......that's the way I see it happening, anyways. It will be a huge task for the Eagles to contain the Huskies offense Friday night, for sure. You cannot stop them......only try to contain them as much as possible. You concentrate your efforts on stopping Foster and forcing Hirschi to go to the air more than they want to.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 02:05 AM
It's time for the Eagles defense to be really tested against a very excellent running back similar to what Carthage has. If they can pass this test and limit Foster to less than 200 yds rushing.....and keep the Hirschi offense 2 TDs under their normal 50+ points, then I would say that Argyle has a great chance at winning this game. If we try to trade scores with them all night.....it's gonna be a loooong night for Eagles D. Argyle will need to incorporate a "bend but don't break" type of defense this week to limit Hirschi's scoring opportunites. Some long drives for TD's will also help the Eagles......you must remember that Argyle's running game is very, very difficult to stop.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 02:10 AM
It would not surprise me to see both Williams and Lang in the backfield this week at the same time most of the night......giving Hirschi a taste of the one-two punch the Eagles will most likely use in the playoffs. This will open up the passing game and allow our receivers more open looks. There's just no telling what OC Coach Nanny may come up with to throw some curve balls at Hirschi this week. One thing is for certain......Argyle has the playmakers to be very versatile offensively.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 02:22 AM
For those of you that don't know......Argyle actually has two excellent RBs that are interchangeable without losing any strength in the running game. All season long the Eagles have used mainly only one back at a time in their offensive sets. But they have used Lang with the starting offense more and more each game as the season has progressed.....giving him more minutes and allowing Williams to stay "fresh" for most of the game when he's back there. Williams has been the workhorse, but now we might see some different offensive sets where both backs are in the game and even in the backfield at the same time. This would really cause some serious problems for defenses.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 02:38 AM
I'm fairly certain there will be very heavy interest from the rest of 4A D-1 keeping a close eye on what transpires in this game with Hirschi on Friday night.....but most especially from those teams in Region I. Also the teams in Region II that are playoff contenders will want to know if Argyle changes any formations, and so will all of the top teams in D-1. Heck, I can't hardly wait myself to see what transpires......it's gonna be a fun night to go see this game......and it's right here at home in Argyle.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 03:08 AM
There's all of a sudden another big curveball most 4A football fans are not thinking about......Hirschi is now in a very uncomfortable position of not knowing exactly how to prepare their defense for Argyle. All they can do is what any other team could do......look at film and take what the scouting reports tell about how to defend against the offensive sets Argyle has used this year. If Argyle comes out with some new sets and wrinkles Friday night......I'm sure it's gonna cause some problems for Hirschi and their coaching staff. Adjustments will need to be made during the game......advantage Argyle. :smoker:

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 03:24 AM
Adding new offensive sets to the scheme only helps Argyle as we move toward the playoffs. Now the offense becomes even more dynamic with more kinds of plays they can run against different opponents or even the same opponent during the course of the game. For the most part, the offense is already very comfortable with all of the previous offensive sets and plays.....and now there is good cause and reason to incorporate some new looks. It gives Argyle much more flexibility and a distinct advantage over the opposition......using both the "old" and "newer" offensive sets and plays. I'm pretty sure we can expect to see some of this Friday night.

slingshot
10-31-2017, 07:05 AM
Heck, if all that is true then y’all should have dumped Copeland a long time ago! This could be the best thing to have possibly happened to Argyle!
Now back to reality... you lose your field general that was a tremendous passer and a dangerous runner... now you hand the ball over to a capable but unproven QB that until this week had taken very few snaps with the first team. I suspect the coaches will simplify the offense and lean on the running game. Each week they will install more and more of the playbook.
Argyle is still the class of Region 1... just not head and shoulders above the field like they were. The playoffs just got a lot more interesting.
As for the Hirschi game? Eagles by 21.

Matthew328
10-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Wichita Falls ISD I believe finally did away with open enrollment so a lot of the kids Hirschi was losing to Rider and Wichita Falls High are now ending up back at their home HS and Hirschi has improved significantly

d0tc0m
10-31-2017, 07:36 AM
This is a spooky game for Argyle. No matter how much confidence you have in Clearman, the Eagles are a completely different team without Copeland. It's so unfortunate for that young man, and the team/community. You never want to see something like that happen to a kid. But, the great thing is Argyle has the kind of physical/mental makeup to go along with the coaching staff and community support that is conducive to success, regardless of who they roll in under center. I think Argyle has the pieces to help Clearman succeed, for sure, but this offense just won't be as potent as it was with Copeland.

Now Argyle has to go deal with a very athletic, very speedy Hirschi team. Argyle is still the favorite, no doubt, but this game has certainly gotten a little more interesting now. I think the Eagles will play inspired football, after losing their captain, and come away with a resounding win to secure yet another district championship.

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Heck, if all that is true then y’all should have dumped Copeland a long time ago! This could be the best thing to have possibly happened to Argyle!
Now back to reality... you lose your field general that was a tremendous passer and a dangerous runner... now you hand the ball over to a capable but unproven QB that until this week had taken very few snaps with the first team. I suspect the coaches will simplify the offense and lean on the running game. Each week they will install more and more of the playbook.
Argyle is still the class of Region 1... just not head and shoulders above the field like they were. The playoffs just got a lot more interesting.
As for the Hirschi game? Eagles by 21.

Well Dadgummit, Slingshot!! Are you purposely trying to derail my entire dissertation proposal of the options Argyle could possibly incorporate now that their star QB Copeland is lost for the season??? There was no reason to upset the apple cart when the offense was running so smoothly with Copeland leading the offense with his stellar abilities. But now there is cause......hence the possibilities I have suggested here really do make alot of sense. Don't be surprised if you come to learn that Argyle begins using Williams and Lang together in multiple sets in the upcoming games......I really think the Eagles were heading in this direction anyway with Copeland at the helm. :stirpot: :lies: :taunt:

slingshot
10-31-2017, 08:47 AM
If I was the coach and had those two backs I would...

Dawgs
10-31-2017, 10:21 AM
I was wondering why I have never heard of Hirschi. But after I looked at their records since 2004, I understand. A whole buncha 0-10 and 1-9 seasons. I didn't realize that. I was thinking this team was a newer school with a chance to beat Argyle. After seeing that I am going with Argyle by 20+.

Wayne
10-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Hirschi has came a long ways over the last couple years. They are definitely moving in the right direction.

slingshot
10-31-2017, 11:25 AM
We have played them in the playoffs several times the past few years. They are always loaded with athletes and have great team speed. Watched one of their defensive tackles run down our QB (that ran a 10.8 100 meters) from behind in the open field! We have always beaten them with discipline and limiting mistakes. If they ever get discipline in their program and establish a winning tradition—look out.

CP3Dad
10-31-2017, 02:10 PM
Looking back at the Graham film, the QB frequently kept the ball on the read-option with minimal success. This limited Foster's touches, especially in the first half (7 for 31 yds). He was more effective in the 2nd half (9 for 89 yds). He also had 1 catch for 1 yard. I think he needs to be closer to 30 or 35 touches to stay close this week. Argyle has won 25 straight at home (average score 51-15). I think this final will be average...Argyle 51 - Hirschi 15.

slingshot
10-31-2017, 02:28 PM
...Argyle has won 25 straight at home (average score 51-15). I think this final will be average...Argyle 51 - Hirschi 15.No Copeland: -14 points. Hirshi better than usual: +7 points. So final will be Argyle 36--WF Hirshi 21. That sounds about right...

briandumith*
10-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Hirschi is on the rise.. they took the Graham defeat pretty bad there guys were laying on the ground you could tell that they were very upset to lose that game. I believe that that was the toughest test Graham had all season. They are well-balanced offense and defense. Most importantly the coach has them believing. They finally have a good program and it's paying off. I still give the edge to Argyle but I would not be surprised if Hirschi somehow upsets the Eagles at home.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

regaleagle
10-31-2017, 05:07 PM
When any team has a rb like D. Foster that has to be stopped, it puts tons of pressure on your defense to stop him, but now your defense is out of position to defend against the other skill players.

Wayne
11-01-2017, 11:46 AM
How well does Hirschi travel?

Bosqueville
11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
How well does Hirschi travel?

Not good...

Wayne
11-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Looks like I may sit on the visitors side then. It's going to be a full house on the home side with it being senior night.

Celina8
11-01-2017, 03:37 PM
You know I have just seen to many of these type post over the past umpteen years about this team has this athlete , this great player , and this huge line and this could be the one that finally stops Argyle! Then on Friday night we get a score update in the first quarter that Argyle has just scored their third TD and the opponent has not been able to make a first down yet. I know that the QB is out for Argyle , but that just does not seem to matter and these group of kids have played against several great players this year , and for some last year so I don't think they will be seeing anything new. I think Argyle wins this one by two td's or more as their biggest challenge will be Kennedale when they meet in the playoffs.

Dawgs
11-01-2017, 04:46 PM
You know I have just seen to many of these type post over the past umpteen years about this team has this athlete , this great player , and this huge line and this could be the one that finally stops Argyle! Then on Friday night we get a score update in the first quarter that Argyle has just scored their third TD and the opponent has not been able to make a first down yet. I know that the QB is out for Argyle , but that just does not seem to matter and these group of kids have played against several great players this year , and for some last year so I don't think they will be seeing anything new. I think Argyle wins this one by two td's or more as their biggest challenge will be Kennedale when they meet in the playoffs.

You are right. I agree. Argyle is one of those elite programs that wins almost every big game. Argyle won't have a problem replacing the QB. Now I don't think they are going to be as good, but still good enough to make it to a state championship, or very deep in the playoffs. That's just the kind of program they have.

Wayne
11-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Couldn't agree more with Celina8 and Dawgs.

regaleagle
11-01-2017, 07:48 PM
If Argyle wins this game......they will clinch the district championship regardless of what happens next week against Burkburnett. If Hirschi wins......they will clinch the district championship regardless of next week's outcome.

Dawgs
11-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Then on Friday night we get a score update in the first quarter that Argyle has just scored their third TD and the opponent has not been able to make a first down yet.

This part of the post makes me laugh. I get all my ETX scores in all classes on another site. But I always come here for all the 4a scores. I'll look at the score thread, and try to find scores I'm interested in. The fist one I can usually find of Argyle is 21-0. Hahaha. You are spot on with that post. It don't matter who it is either. AW? Ok, no problem. First score I see is like 35-0. Been many, many times like that in the past. Where I thought Argyle would get beat (because they play a tough non-district schedule), and sure enough look at the score update thread, and there is no doubt midway thru the 2nd quarter.

Celina8
11-02-2017, 02:10 PM
The thread about Gainesville and the concern because of some of their skilled players was a perfect example of 35 to 0 by half. I am starting to read your post Regaleagle with just a YAWN as you can only cry wolf for two years before I realize that your team will be named 4A team of the decade in 2019 for most wins!!!

regaleagle
11-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Somebody's gotta keep the players from getting the bighead and overconfident. If they were reading posts from you guys......they'd think they were World Champs, LOL.

Wayne
11-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Saw on another site that Clearman will be Taking over for Copeland.

regaleagle
11-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Saw on another site that Clearman will be Taking over for Copeland.

I guess he has more experience in the offense at that position than soph Gonzales. Clearman is a very athletic player.....make no mistake about it. I wonder who will take over his spot on defense??? He was second on the team in tackles.

regaleagle
11-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I guess when it comes to filling the QB spot or losing him on defense......filling the QB spot with the best possible player takes precedence.

bobcat1
11-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Somebody's gotta keep the players from getting the bighead and overconfident. If they were reading posts from you guys......they'd think they were World Champs, LOL.

They're not?????

Wayne
11-03-2017, 07:13 AM
I really believe this Argyle team will be just fine. Eagles are definitely gonna miss Copeland's ability to throw the deep ball for a quick score. However, the 1-2 punch out of the backfield will wear a defense down quick.

regaleagle
11-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm worried about the adjustment Clearman will have to make with his eyes on the defense.......the reads. It's a different look back their behind center than it is anywhere else......and playing in the secondary all season without gametime minutes to get yourself comfortable of being in the moment may take some time.

bobcat1
11-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Is Argyle up 2 TD's yet?

Wayne
11-03-2017, 08:12 PM
No sir. I think the second half will be a different story.

Celina8
11-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Argyle 14 WF 6 half....Argyle will pull away in the second half as I was told they should be up 21 to 6 if not for some mistakes.

slingshot
11-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Argyle 14
Hirshi 13

regaleagle
11-04-2017, 02:10 AM
Final was 37-19 with Argyle taking the knee in the red zone. Clearman played well.....a little tentative in the first quarter. He's very fast and makes good decisions......has a strong arm and is accurate even on the long ball. He'll be better after he gets a few games under his belt, but Hirschi's pass rush and defense was very stout and athletic. Very difficult to get the corner on them.....they are fast and have great pursuit to the ball. Pretty much have to do some really good blocking too......they tackle well and fill the holes quickly. Their linebackers and DE's were very good....and fast. Argyle played a top-rated defensive game.....best I've seen all year. Foster got thru one time and broke it for a long score......nobody's gonna catch him. V'rana at QB is probably their best offensive player overall......great arm, quick release, accurate, and tall enough to stand in there without happy feet. He also has great speed and good moves when he tucks it, and he's strong. Hirschi is a very good team......they will do well in the playoffs. Argyle is just getting better each game.....if you can believe it. When the situation gets tough.....they get tougher. Very few penalties tonite by either team.....one holding all night by the Oline......congrats to them. It was just a very good game all the way until the start of the 4th quarter. They closed it to 28-19, then Argyle kicked a field goal and scored another TD early in the 4th to take a commanding lead. Hirschi drove it down, but turned it over on downs going for it on 4th and one.......Argyle D rose up and put the stoppers on them twice on 4th and one. They did convert one 4th and one. I give Hirschi a gold star for effort, quality play, and athleticism. Their execution was just not as good as Argyle's......I could see how they have won 7 games. Argyle is a very good football team, folks. Really well-played game by the Hirschi Huskies tonite......well, by both teams.

regaleagle
11-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Clearman went 15 of 22 for 197 yds and 2 TD's. He did throw one interception, but it was a true interception on a long ball. The Dback made an athletic play.....if he didn't it would have been a big completion. The ball was perfectly thrown. Don Williams had 24 carries for 127 yds and one TD while Noah Lang had 9 carries for 51 yds and 2 TD's. Argyle had 197 yds passing and 185 yds rushing. D. Foster rushed for 177 yds on 25 carries and 1 TD, while Vrana had 53 yds on 14 carries and a TD. Vrana was 10 of 28 for 125 yds passing with one TD. Hirschi rushed for 230 yds and passed for 125 yds.

CP3Dad
11-09-2017, 10:56 AM
No Copeland: -14 points. Hirshi better than usual: +7 points. So final will be Argyle 36--WF Hirshi 21. That sounds about right...

Not bad at all...37-19!