PDA

View Full Version : Celina (5-2, 2-0) at Melissa (6-1, 2-0)

d0tc0m
10-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Going to be a very intriguing matchup. Melissa is much improved over last season, and their youth has plenty of experience. Celina is still a young, growing team that has yet to put together a complete game. The Bobcats' defense has carried the burden this season, as the offense has worked through some growing pains. Melissa is very athletic, and the Cardinals will be the most explosive squad Celina has faced since Argyle, so the Bobcats' defense will get another very solid test.

This game is essentially the de facto District 5 title game, although, there's a slim chance Aubrey could muck that up a bit.

Gsquared
10-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Going to be a very intriguing matchup. Melissa is much improved over last season, and their youth has plenty of experience. Celina is still a young, growing team that has yet to put together a complete game. The Bobcats' defense has carried the burden this season, as the offense has worked through some growing pains. Melissa is very athletic, and the Cardinals will be the most explosive squad Celina has faced since Argyle, so the Bobcats' defense will get another very solid test.

This game is essentially the de facto District 5 title game, although, there's a slim chance Aubrey could muck that up a bit.

Might be the game of the week in the North Texas area, 4A wise.

d0tc0m
10-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Might be the game of the week in the North Texas area, 4A wise.

Probably right, G2. I may end up making this game. I brought my family to town last week for the Celina Homecoming game, and our car broke down on Saturday afternoon. It's still down in Plano at the dealership, and I'm likely gonna drive down from Springfield to get it on Friday. Figure I might as well watch the Bobcats again while I'm in.

Watching Melissa on film, this certainly looks like it's going to be a dandy of a game. Cardinals may make a little noise in the playoffs, too. They're a very athletic bunch.

d0tc0m
10-24-2017, 03:43 PM

Proud dad moment alert.

My wife snapped these pictures during warmups of Celina's game against Community last Friday, and these are probably my favorite photos of all time now. It was Whitman's (on my shoulders) and Otto's (on the fence) first Celina football game at Bobcat Stadium. Otto did get to see the Bobcats beat Pleasant Grove in the playoffs last December, but this was another experience altogether. They got to be down there near the field, right up against the action, and they loved it. They loved the homecoming parade and pep rally earlier in the day, too. When we finally rolled out of Celina Monday evening, Otto, from his carseat, kept cheering, 'Orange and White! Fight! Fight! Fight!' My folks followed us up to Sherman and we had dinner at Whataburger, and Otto walked in and kept saying, 'Hey Daddy, look, Orange and White! Go Bobcats!'

I got a little choked up, and my dad (or, Pops, as my boys call him) did too. My heart could hardly take it. Fatherhood has made me soft.

d0tc0m
10-24-2017, 03:49 PM
I apologize, because I don't know how to properly embed pics on The DownLow.

Aesculus gilmus
10-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Nice photos. I tried to embed it just now and I guess I don't know how either.

Are those two guys going to play for Celina someday when it's a 6A school?

d0tc0m
10-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Nice photos. I tried to embed it just now and I guess I don't know how either.

Are those two guys going to play for Celina someday when it's a 6A school?

Well, by the time these boys get up ready to play, I imagine Celina will have multiple 6A schools, unfortunately. The growth is right there knocking on the door in Celina. So far, it's still mostly maintained in Prosper, but Hwy 380 won't hold it back forever.

But, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing my boys dawn the orange and white, when the time comes.

orange machine
10-25-2017, 12:29 PM
This is gonna be fun....

d0tc0m
10-25-2017, 12:36 PM
This is gonna be fun....

I was wondering if you'd surface for this one.

regaleagle
10-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Well, by the time these boys get up ready to play, I imagine Celina will have multiple 6A schools, unfortunately. The growth is right there knocking on the door in Celina. So far, it's still mostly maintained in Prosper, but Hwy 380 won't hold it back forever.

But, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing my boys dawn the orange and white, when the time comes.

I just cannot believe all the massive growth along 380 in Frisco, Prosper, and McKinney......those 1000's of acres of empty fields are just full of subdivisions and development now, and there's no end in sight. Looks like DFW could easily allow for another 2 million easily in the next 10 yrs. Not sure about Celina's borders, but Argyle is slightly landlocked and has some limiting building ordinances in place to keep the growth in reasonable check. Perhaps Celina will reach the 5A level before Argyle will.......the way that area is exploding.

d0tc0m
10-25-2017, 01:16 PM
I just cannot believe all the massive growth along 380 in Frisco, Prosper, and McKinney......those 1000's of acres of empty fields are just full of subdivisions and development now, and there's no end in sight. Looks like DFW could easily allow for another 2 million easily in the next 10 yrs.

Yeah, and Celina has WAAAAAYYYY more land than any other town in Collin County. So far, though, all of the developments and subdivisions are still within Prosper's school district. I imagine both towns will work together in redrawing these district lines in the future. Prosper could benefit from having the added population, and Celina will want to pass it off for as long as possible.

orange machine
10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
That's all I'm saying lol

d0tc0m
10-25-2017, 01:52 PM
That's all I'm saying lol

Well, thanks for your time and effort.

bobcat1
10-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Proud dad moment alert.

My wife snapped these pictures during warmups of Celina's game against Community last Friday, and these are probably my favorite photos of all time now. It was Whitman's (on my shoulders) and Otto's (on the fence) first Celina football game at Bobcat Stadium. Otto did get to see the Bobcats beat Pleasant Grove in the playoffs last December, but this was another experience altogether. They got to be down there near the field, right up against the action, and they loved it. They loved the homecoming parade and pep rally earlier in the day, too. When we finally rolled out of Celina Monday evening, Otto, from his carseat, kept cheering, 'Orange and White! Fight! Fight! Fight!' My folks followed us up to Sherman and we had dinner at Whataburger, and Otto walked in and kept saying, 'Hey Daddy, look, Orange and White! Go Bobcats!'

I got a little choked up, and my dad (or, Pops, as my boys call him) did too. My heart could hardly take it. Fatherhood has made me soft.

I apologize, because I don't know how to properly embed pics on The DownLow.

Here ya go Dotcom. You do it by placing the link in between the brackets.

http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1070&d=1508877224
http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1071&d=1508877245

orange machine
10-25-2017, 07:23 PM
dotcom your on the wrong side

Celina8
10-25-2017, 07:26 PM
I think the last time I thought Celina would beat Melissa was when they played in Allen and Melissa upset my Bobcats. I think the Cardinals will be flying high Friday night especially playing at home as they look for the chance to take down my Bobcats. I think the passing game will benefit Melissa in this game and they will do just enough to squeak out a victory. Bobcats will then fight it out with Aubrey for second place in the district. Hope I am wrong on this one.

d0tc0m
10-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Bobcat! Glad to learn how to do that after all these years!

d0tc0m
10-25-2017, 10:00 PM
dotcom your on the wrong side

Ah, just stopping to enjoy the sights with the little ones. They were mesmerized. We did finally make it to the right side.

d0tc0m
10-26-2017, 07:50 AM
I think the last time I thought Celina would beat Melissa was when they played in Allen and Melissa upset my Bobcats. I think the Cardinals will be flying high Friday night especially playing at home as they look for the chance to take down my Bobcats. I think the passing game will benefit Melissa in this game and they will do just enough to squeak out a victory. Bobcats will then fight it out with Aubrey for second place in the district. Hope I am wrong on this one.

Melissa is certainly talented enough to beat Celina. They had largely the same team last year, and the Bobcats manhandled them. However, this is not last year's Cardinals. Melissa is vastly improved in all phases of the game. I've been very impressed with the way their defense flies to the ball. They're not overly big, but the defensive ends get off the ball quickly and create some problems in the backfield. Celina's offensive line will have a difficult assignment, slowing down Melissa's pass rush. On offense, the Cardinals have a lot of very athletic weapons. The RB is quick and strong, and the QB — I forgot his name — is smooth in the pocket as a passer, and quick in the open field as a runner. A good receiving corps gives the QB plenty of weapons to choose from, too. I look for Melissa to try its best to spread Celina's defense thin up front and establish the run early on, then start to try to pick at the secondary.

The good news is Celina's defense has been very good so far. They'll need to be the best they've been all year this week, though. The Bobcats' have two very good defensive ends of their own, and they'll both need to have huge performances on the edge. Both of them are equally good at getting pressure on the QB and stopping the run in the backfield. As quick as Melissa's duo is off the ball, Celina's is a little quicker. If they can get in the backfield and disrupt the QB's timing, and take away some of the outside running game, I like Celina's chances, because we have a pretty good set of linebackers.

On offense, as has been the case this year so far, Celina will have to establish the run with Ishmael Ortiz and Ryan Nebeker right away. That will open up some passing lanes for Ross at QB — who is a very speedy runner in his own right — and allow for some other backs, mainly sophomore Logan Point, to have an impact with the ball, as well.

Word is Celina has a very good game plan ready for Friday. Here's to hoping it works out and the Bobcats come home with what would be a big-time win, in terms of setting the tone for the home stretch of district play and the start of the postseason.

Celina8
10-26-2017, 05:46 PM
The wind is really picking up here in the Austin area so with the cold front rolling in early tomorrow I am wondering if there will be a wind factor for this game. If so then it could very easily be about who has the wind at their back when it comes to offense and punting. For those that can remember playing Pilot Point in 1995 at home as Celina was number 1 in the State and Pilot Point was number 3 or 4. If I remember correctly just before kickoff the weather was perfect and then around the first quarter a huge north wind blew in and just kept getting stronger. It became cold and no one could pass the ball . We had one bad punt against the wind and that gave Pilot Point a very short field to score take home a victory.

orange machine
10-26-2017, 07:52 PM
The wind is really picking up here in the Austin area so with the cold front rolling in early tomorrow I am wondering if there will be a wind factor for this game. If so then it could very easily be about who has the wind at their back when it comes to offense and punting. For those that can remember playing Pilot Point in 1995 at home as Celina was number 1 in the State and Pilot Point was number 3 or 4. If I remember correctly just before kickoff the weather was perfect and then around the first quarter a huge north wind blew in and just kept getting stronger. It became cold and no one could pass the ball . We had one bad punt against the wind and that gave Pilot Point a very short field to score take home a victory.

that game is on YouTube

d0tc0m
10-26-2017, 09:59 PM
that game is on YouTube

Yes it is. I remember that game very well. I was sitting near the 40-yard line about halfway up, trying to huddle between my Dad and my mom. Eventually my mom took my little brother home, and I stayed tucked between my dad and grandpa at that point. No way I was missing the game ... mainly because I loved watching how excited my dad would get. If you wanna watch old-school, smash mouth, a-few-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust football, I'd encourage you to look up that '95 game.

orange machine
10-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Yes it is. I remember that game very well. I was sitting near the 40-yard line about halfway up, trying to huddle between my Dad and my mom. Eventually my mom took my little brother home, and I stayed tucked between my dad and grandpa at that point. No way I was missing the game ... mainly because I loved watching how excited my dad would get. If you wanna watch old-school, smash mouth, a-few-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust football, I'd encourage you to look up that '95 game.

Gary Don Moore playing qb in a cowboy collar was pretty impressive lol

d0tc0m
10-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Gary Don Moore playing qb in a cowboy collar was pretty impressive lol

Yeah, and wearing No. 21 hahaha!

It looks so primitive, compared to today's game. But I loved those days. Those were two very hard-nosed, hard-hitting teams.

Celina8
10-28-2017, 06:20 AM
Melissa 35 Celina 14. Did not see the game but talked with a friend who did and he said Melissa controlled the game pretty easily from beginning to end . He is not sure we will even beat Aubrey this year. Sometimes as Bill Parcells said "you are what your record says you are" .