PDA

View Full Version : Week 9: Sinton (6-0, 2-0) at Cuero (6-0, 2-0)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Have to look up the series between these two but think Cuero was up by 2 or 3 wins.
Sinton had its 8 straight district championships snapped by Cuero last season as Cuero went unbeaten in district and Sinton finished in a 3 way tie for 2nd.

Last year game was defensive battle for 3 1/2 qtrs it was 21-14 Cuero with just over 4 minutes left in 3rd qtr before Cuero ran off couple tds and finished it with a 96 yard Whittington interception td with a minute left. Sinton qb was picked off 4 times in the game. Here some of the game from last season Cuero 41-14 win at Sinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mKB3t5ggiI

SintonFan_inAustin
10-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Sinton last game had 617 yards of offense, 414 rushing and 203 passing

Cuero last game had 602 yards of offense, 292 rushing and 310 passing

Epicpirates
10-22-2017, 03:09 AM
I think this one will come down to who has the ball last.. Sinton never gives up, so it should be a good one!

armyjim
10-22-2017, 11:20 AM
I think this one will come down to who has the ball last.. Sinton never gives up, so it should be a good one!This should be one of the best games in the area. I agree that this might turn out to be a last possession game, but Sweeny had the ball last (last week), and Cuero held...so we shall see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

SintonFan_inAustin
10-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Stats from Maxprep:
Team scoring avg. Cuero 49.1 Sinton 42.6

Team rushing avg Cuero 223.7 Sinton 278.3
Team passing avg Cuero 217.7 Sinton 189.7
Team total offense avg Cuero 441.3 Sinton 468.0

top back Cuero Grant Keiran 581 ysa 11 Td Sinton Tristan Canales 1129 yds 16 Td

bluecat
10-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Stats from Maxprep:
Team scoring avg. Cuero 49.1 Sinton 42.6

Team rushing avg Cuero 223.7 Sinton 278.3
Team passing avg Cuero 217.7 Sinton 189.7
Team total offense avg Cuero 441.3 Sinton 468.0

top back Cuero Grant Keiran 581 ysa 11 Td Sinton Tristan Canales 1129 yds 16 Td
Cuero by 14, this Cuero team is better than last years team and Whittington has blown up from last year. Still expect it to be a good game.

sinfan75
10-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Pirates cut back on the penalties they'll make a game of it.

Bosqueville
10-22-2017, 08:53 PM
I have more faith in Cuero’s defense. Gobblers by 14.

Corn Cob
10-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Bosqueville seems to be realistic. I’m surprised folks are thinking this is gunna be a close one. I could be wrong, but I’ll be shocked if the Gobblers don’t win this one by 21 or more points. Just my thoughts.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Pirates cut back on the penalties they'll make a game of it.Think they have had 2 tds called back in 3 straight games. Players are ready for this game. Offensive line has been improving each game looking for it to continue.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-25-2017, 10:12 PM
From Cuero newspaper: Cuero and Sinton have played 18 times before with the Gobblers holding the edge, 10-8. The Pirates have won three of the last five meetings over the past four seasons, but Cuero has won the last two. Link to write up of game https://www.dewittcountytoday.com/sports/gobblers-square-district-rival-sinton-friday-night-gobbler-stadium

Sinton lost Orta to Alice and Gonzales to Victoria West so only 4 returning starters on defense from last season. Both of them doing well at wr for their new team.

d0tc0m
10-26-2017, 07:10 AM
This is a tasty matchup, for sure! This one would probably get my nod for 4A Game of the Week ... or, at least, 4A Game of the Week (B) behind 4A Game of the Week (A) with Wimberley vs. Navarro.

I'm really impressed with Sinton's ground game so far this season, and I expect Canales to rattle off a large chunk against the Gobblers. But I think Cuero has played a tougher schedule and has the higher ceiling of the two teams. I believe the Pirates will play some inspired football this week, but I just can't see them having quite enough to knock off Cuero. But, hey, there's always the chance these two could meet again in the playoffs.

Crow22
10-26-2017, 07:57 AM
This is a tasty matchup, for sure! This one would probably get my nod for 4A Game of the Week ... or, at least, 4A Game of the Week (B) behind 4A Game of the Week (A) with Wimberley vs. Navarro.

I'm really impressed with Sinton's ground game so far this season, and I expect Canales to rattle off a large chunk against the Gobblers. But I think Cuero has played a tougher schedule and has the higher ceiling of the two teams. I believe the Pirates will play some inspired football this week, but I just can't see them having quite enough to knock off Cuero. But, hey, there's always the chance these two could meet again in the playoffs.

I bet Sweeny wants another crack at the Gobblers too.....after ending the game on the 1 yard line. That's a great district.

d0tc0m
10-26-2017, 08:01 AM
I bet Sweeny wants another crack at the Gobblers too.....after ending the game on the 1 yard line. That's a great district.

It really is. That's a tough district, and Region IV, in my opinion, is going to be the most competitive, come playoff time. I'm not a believe in moral victories, but you could make the argument that Sweeny got one against Cuero. I personally didn't think the Bulldogs would be able to hang that close with the Gobblers, much less have a shot at tying — or even winning — the game. The revenge factor would be at play BIG TIME if those two meet again. And what a fun atmosphere that would be.

Crow22
10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
It really is. That's a tough district, and Region IV, in my opinion, is going to be the most competitive, come playoff time. I'm not a believe in moral victories, but you could make the argument that Sweeny got one against Cuero. I personally didn't think the Bulldogs would be able to hang that close with the Gobblers, much less have a shot at tying — or even winning — the game. The revenge factor would be at play BIG TIME if those two meet again. And what a fun atmosphere that would be.

Yep. People looking in from the outside have no clue how good Sweeny is right now. The 3 losses they have could very easily be 3 wins (and maybe should have been barring some mistakes that their opponents took advantage of...to their credit). Navarro beat them soundly last year in the playoffs but this is a much better team. I think the hurricane break put a damper on things for a little while and they're now starting to roll. I look for the winner of the Region to come out of this district. And that's not a knock to the Wimberley/Navarro district.....they're also very, very good. Just a guess but I could definitely see a Sweeny/Cuero rematch down the road. And, of course, Sinton will have something to say about it too....

44INAROW
10-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Yep. People looking in from the outside have no clue how good Sweeny is right now. The 3 losses they have could very easily be 3 wins (and maybe should have been barring some mistakes that their opponents took advantage of...to their credit).....

I totally agree Crow22 - Sweeny is much better than their record indicates. They NEVER stopped coming at us. Cuero vs Sinton is going to be a good game and then Sinton vs Sweeny (at Sinton) will be another good one.
Maybe WOS87 can tell us how many times (lately) has the Reg IV Finals been between 2 teams from the Cuero/Sinton district? I remember, some years back, Cuero and Palacios were in the same district and play for Reg IV finals... (I think I'm right but I am getting old lol)

pirate4state
10-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Hey 44 - my cousin will be coming into town early enough for dinner (I don't have that luxury this year :( ) any recommendations for a good spot to grab a bite?

pirate4state
10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Think they have had 2 tds called back in 3 straight games. Players are ready for this game. Offensive line has been improving each game looking for it to continue.

Unfortunately we will be without one of our OL for the rest of the season. Tough break for him, his senior year. Someone else will have to step up! No excuses - just stating facts - this is the first year, in a long while, that we have really been THIS banged up. Teams always have injuries, but it seems every game we've lost someone. Started the year off without McGowan, then I feared we'd be with Canales last week, but he really surprised me! Hoping we can survive this game without losing anyone else. We'll need everyone moving forward. We are huge underdogs this year and we'd have to play perfect to leave Gobbler Stadium with a win and so far, we haven't proven we can be perfect, so I expect it to be a long car ride home. One thing is for certain though, our boys love to prove me wrong :D ;) GO PIRATES!

44INAROW
10-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Hey 44 - my cousin will be coming into town early enough for dinner (I don't have that luxury this year :( ) any recommendations for a good spot to grab a bite?

KN Drive In has the best burgers around - It will be packed but it's worth it :) It's on the "main drag" on Hwy 87 - heading west little passed the bottom of the hill on the right side of the road (Across the highway from BUSH'S Chicken) Burgers, Tacos, Taco Salad, Burrito plates, chicken strips - homemade FF..... Also, Bahnhof Café on West Main - homestyle cooking... CFS, Hamburger steak, club sandwiches, fried fish.... burgers.... usually a special with King Ranch Chicken, mac and cheese and green beans.....

SintonFan_inAustin
10-26-2017, 12:33 PM
I totally agree Crow22 - Sweeny is much better than their record indicates. They NEVER stopped coming at us. Cuero vs Sinton is going to be a good game and then Sinton vs Sweeny (at Sinton) will be another good one.
Maybe WOS87 can tell us how many times (lately) has the Reg IV Finals been between 2 teams from the Cuero/Sinton district? I remember, some years back, Cuero and Palacios were in the same district and play for Reg IV finals... (I think I'm right but I am getting old lol)
some history of both programs in Region IV history in same classification:

Region IV Championship games appearances since 1980
1. Cuero Gobblers ------------------------14
2. Sinton Pirates --------------------------12

Region IV Championship games appearances since 2000
1. Sinton Pirates --------------------------9
2. Cuero Gobblers ------------------------7

Playoff meetings
Cuero 4 wins Sinton 3 wins

Last 5 Region IV D2 Title games
2012 Port Isabel vs Bellville - W Bellville
2013 Sinton vs La Vernia - W Sinton
2014 Sinton vs Yoakum - W Sinton
2015 Sinton vs Cuero - W Cuero
2016 Cuero vs Navarro - W Navarro

SintonFan_inAustin
10-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately we will be without one of our OL for the rest of the season. Tough break for him, his senior year. Someone else will have to step up! No excuses - just stating facts - this is the first year, in a long while, that we have really been THIS banged up. Teams always have injuries, but it seems every game we've lost someone. Started the year off without McGowan, then I feared we'd be with Canales last week, but he really surprised me! Hoping we can survive this game without losing anyone else. We'll need everyone moving forward. We are huge underdogs this year and we'd have to play perfect to leave Gobbler Stadium with a win and so far, we haven't proven we can be perfect, so I expect it to be a long car ride home. One thing is for certain though, our boys love to prove me wrong :D ;) GO PIRATES!yea it didn't look good when he came off the field was hoping wasn't major.

Crow22
10-26-2017, 12:50 PM
yea it didn't look good when he came off the field was hoping wasn't major.

Dang. That sucks. Which lineman was it?

SHSBulldog00
10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
I say Cuero in this one. If Sinton wins hope it is close so we can have a shot at a 3 way tie for District. If Cuero wins then we can play Sinton for second after we TCB this week vs. Wharton.

44INAROW
10-26-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks SFIA...... :2thumbsup

pirate4state
10-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Gonna be good football hitting weather tonight! Looking forward to a competitive game! Here’s to no injuries!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-27-2017, 12:23 PM
http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1073&d=1509124932

1st and goal
10-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Gobblers gonna trot.

by 14+

bluecat
10-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Cuero just that good, WOS better be ready this year. Sweeney gave Cuero a tough game.

Blue42
10-28-2017, 12:03 AM
Gobblers were very flat in Sweeney game blew lots of scoring opportunities. Bulldogs played inspired and hard I'm sure that both teams would love to meet again in playoffs.

pirate4state
10-28-2017, 12:15 AM
Told y’all it would be a long bus ride. Did I envision a 60-0 ass beating? No. We haven’t had a beat down that bad since Fairfield. Even with our starters we wouldn’t have won the game. Hats off to Cuero, they’ll be a tough out for anyone. We lost 4 more starters tonight. Looking like 3rd place in district. At this rate we’ll be lucky to get out of the first round of the playoffs

Crow22
10-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Gobblers were very flat in Sweeney game blew lots of scoring opportunities. Bulldogs played inspired and hard I'm sure that both teams would love to meet again in playoffs.

I really wish people would learn how to spell Sweeny.

I think saying that Cuero just played flat and blew opportunities etc against Sweeny is pretty disrespectful towards Sweeny. In fact, Sweeny is the team that blew opportunities including with 7 seconds left. Out gained Cuero by a fairly large margin.

Is it so difficult to say that a really good Cuero team beat a really good Sweeny team in a really great game? Man, it's just so tough for some people to give credit to someone other than their own team.

Sweeny is the real deal....just like Cuero. Wharton found that out last night.

I'd love to see a Cuero/Sweeny rematch in the playoffs. It would be another great game I think.

iFootball
10-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Sweeney has a good football team and it showed against Wharton but there is a whole lot of football before there can be a rematch against Cuero.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2017, 09:31 AM

I think saying that Cuero just played flat and blew opportunities etc against Sweeny is pretty disrespectful towards Sweeny. In fact, Sweeny is the team that blew opportunities including with 7 seconds left. Out gained Cuero by a fairly large margin.

Is it so difficult to say that a really good Cuero team beat a really good Sweeny team in a really great game? Man, it's just so tough for some people to give credit to someone other than their own team.

Sweeny is the real deal....just like Cuero. Wharton found that out last night.

I'd love to see a Cuero/Sweeny rematch in the playoffs. It would be another great game I think.Have to be able to win some at the line of scrimmage and Sweeny has a good line they've shown they can play some D this season. They matchup well last year and this year against Cuero on defense but if a rematch not sure if the same type of game.

2nd seed important you either face Wimberley in 2nd rd or 3rd round. Sinton comes in more bang up for this game from starters and pride but next kid up gets his shot of experience.

Sweeny seems to have picked it up offensively also!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2017, 09:42 AM
When Sinton loses to Cuero it usually seems to be Sinton gets shut out, last year put up some points but usually Sinton offense can't get much going and seem to lose their confidence and gets them out of their game against them. We'll see how they respond against Sweeny at home.

Blue42
10-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Dude no disrespect hope we get to see Sweeny (and computer does spell correct so no disrespect) .I have a son who plays and I go to most of the practice so when I say flat I know flat.

rb585
10-28-2017, 11:27 AM

I hear you.

Those of us in Wimberley long for your superflous e.

PurplePop
10-29-2017, 10:22 AM
I hear you.

Those of us in Wimberley long for your superflous e.

And, here at Navarro, we'd love it if people would drop the Geronimo (pop. 15 max)

Blue42
10-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Saying Geronimo and drop in the same sentence that so awesome.