PDA

View Full Version : Ganado head football coach Keith Wright resigns

Scoop27
09-27-2017, 07:02 PM
From the Victoria Advocate
GANADO - Keith Wright's second tenure as athletic director and head football coach at Ganado has come to an end.

Wright resigned Monday, two games into his third season since returning to the school in 2015.

Assistant Johnny Lesak has been named Ganado's interim head coach.

Wright declined to comment on the reason for his resignation when reached by phone Monday afternoon.

Ganado is 0-2 this season with losses against Schulenburg and Danbury.

The Indians had to cancel their first two games because of Hurricane Harvey. Ganado will play at Snook on Friday.

Attempts to reach Ganado superintendent John Hardwick Jr. by phone Monday afternoon were unsuccessful.

Wright was in his 23rd season as a head coach. He has an overall record 164-88 and won a state championship in Farmersville in 2007.

Wright was previously the head coach at Ganado from 2001 to 2003.

He led the Indians to a 32-8 record and three playoff appearances, including a trip to 2001 semifinals.

Wright played football at Memphis State and was a member of the Cleveland Browns' "Kardiac Kids" team.

He was also a head coach at Menard, Mildred, Kerens, Farmersville and South Garland.

Wright had been retired for four years before accepting the Ganado position.

lostaussie
09-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Keith went to school in Gilmer for a while. His father Lum Wright was a head coach at Gilmer back I believe in the 70's.

Aesculus gilmus
09-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Lum Wright Sr. was Gilmer head coach for only two seasons, 1969 and 1970, before returning to Mississippi where he was from. He was so successful that he is in a national coaches' hall of fame.

"Wright later moved on to other high schools in Mission and Gilmer, Texas, before returning home to become Warren Central’s head coach in 1971." http://www.vicksburgpost.com/2016/09/09/hall-of-fame-coach-lum-wright-sr-86-dies/

Coach Wright turned the Buckeye program around in only two seasons. Had he stayed, Gilmer probably wouldn't have suffered through the worst decade in program history.

Even though Keith was only here two years (8th and 9th grade, IIRC), he married a girl in my sister's high school class named Jane Weisinger. Tragically, their only child, a daughter, died in a car wreck while still a teenager, IIRC.

Lum Jr. (nicknamed "Lummy") was our QB when his dad was here. Keith never got to play for the Gilmer varsity. I wish he had. Obviously, he was a great athlete, having played in the NFL. His career ended on national television during a Monday night game after a devastating knee or leg injury, I forget exactly which.

I will always remember Coach Lum Wright Sr. fondly. He was a very strict disciplinarian kind of coach. Kinda reminiscent of Bear Bryant, I would say. But he was obviously a great coach. We never had another coach that good until Traylor, IMO.

The rumor mill was that Coach Wright was having a tough time dealing with integration, which had only recently occurred in Gilmer, and that was one reason he went back home. Ironically, I'm sure he wound up coaching lots of nonwhite players at Warren Central.