PDA

View Full Version : WEEK 5: Stephenville (4-0) at Graham (4-0)

hollywood
09-23-2017, 01:09 PM
As undefeated Stephenville travels to Graham this Friday to face a Steers team who is also undefeated, this will be one of the best match ups in Region 1 this week. Questions of this game being a physical, gritty, smash mouth type of game, ask no more. The Jackets starting defense has only allowed 5 TD's so far this season. The Jackets play a very physical brand of football on both the offensive side and even more so on the defensive side. We all know that Graham hangs their hats on a physical brand of football as well. Thoughts and who ya got?

CP3Dad
09-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Half a game won't be enough this week. Steers must be ready for 4 qtrs.

slingshot
09-23-2017, 01:54 PM
As much as I want my district mates to do well... gotta go with Graham. Just a gut feeling and I know how hard they are to beat in that cracker box stadium (no offense Grammies).

CP3Dad
09-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Tough matchup for the Steers last season. We'll see if they can adjust.

bwdlionfan
09-23-2017, 04:05 PM
I'll be keeping close tabs on this one on the Fox Sports App Friday night.

briandumith*
09-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Looking forward to a tough test. I believe the rest of the season might be a little on the weaker side for Graham... So this is a great time to get a tough test in for Graham without having any thing to lose on the line. I believe Ville will come in overconfident. They have not faced an offense anywhere near Grahams caliber. Graham has played tough games all year. Graham will win in the end. I also think that the Decatur score is misleading because the starting QB for Decatur was hurt in the first drive of the 2nd half. He had played very well up to that point. Decatur brought in a 10th grade back up that just couldn't get the job done. that in my opinion was the only team of merit that Ville has played up to this point.... Jus sayn :2thumbsup

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

hollywood
09-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Looking forward to a tough test. I believe the rest of the season might be a little on the weaker side for Graham... So this is a great time to get a tough test in for Graham without having any thing to lose on the line. I believe Ville will come in overconfident. They have not faced an offense anywhere near Grahams caliber. Graham has played tough games all year. Graham will win in the end. I also think that the Decatur score is misleading because the starting QB for Decatur was hurt in the first drive of the 2nd half. He had played very well up to that point. Decatur brought in a 10th grade back up that just couldn't get the job done. that in my opinion was the only team of merit that Ville has played up to this point.... Jus sayn :2thumbsup

That's one way to look at it with red, white and blue glasses.

What you failed to mention is that Decatur pulled out all the stops and had a few things fall their way just to score 14 on the Jacket's first D. Ville had took the classy approach and took a knee to run the clock out with almost 2 min left inside Decatur's 15. Ville will be up for the task against the :rolleyes: super human all mighty Graham Steers.

regaleagle
09-24-2017, 12:20 PM
So Decatur's qb.....their team leader......got hurt early, huh? What kind of injury was it, and how severe? He's a very, very good passing qb.....their offense thrives when he's at the helm. He's also a seasoned senior this year, and led last year's team behind center.

JacketSwarm
09-24-2017, 01:09 PM
the graham crackers crumble this week. Stephenville will win by at least 21 (probably more). just another brick in the wall as we build toward our championship.

bring on he haters and doubters. after this week they will be saying: "Stephenville is 5-0, but they really have not been tested.... just wait till next week." your bs is getting old.

FIRE AWAY

regaleagle
09-24-2017, 01:30 PM
So Decatur's qb.....their team leader......got hurt early, huh? What kind of injury was it, and how severe? He's a very, very good passing qb.....their offense thrives when he's at the helm. He's also a seasoned senior this year, and led last year's team behind center.

After checking.....I see qb Hicks is only a junior this season. He did play last year as soph and can certainly toss that potato. Btw>>>both backup qb's are sophs for Decatur......not sure how much varsity experience, if any, either has.

regaleagle
09-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Wilson Hicks(6-3, 180), a lefty.....was 8-17 for 132 yds. and two td's before going out in the 2nd qtr. with his injury. Soph. replacement Roman Fuller(6-3, 170) in his varsity debut went 7-10 for 62 yds. with no td's and one interception for the rest of the game......just to put everything in perspective. Decatur's offense was built around Hicks with a passing game as it's primary offense. For the season, Decatur's passing offense is 80-118 for 1104 yds. according to MaxPreps stats. Their rushing stats are 128 carries for 621 yds......these numbers include this past week's game against Stephenville.

What was the score when Hicks left the game???

briandumith*
09-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Wilson Hicks(6-3, 180), a lefty.....was 8-17 for 132 yds. and two td's before going out in the 2nd qtr. with his injury. Soph. replacement Roman Fuller(6-3, 170) in his varsity debut went 7-10 for 62 yds. with no td's and one interception for the rest of the game......just to put everything in perspective. Decatur's offense was built around Hicks with a passing game as it's primary offense. For the season, Decatur's passing offense is 80-118 for 1104 yds. according to MaxPreps stats. Their rushing stats are 128 carries for 621 yds......these numbers include this past week's game against Stephenville.

What was the score when Hicks left the game???It was the very beginning of the second half the score was 28 - 14 but Decatur had already come back from 14-0 with ease.. I watched the game the injury virtually killed Decatur's game.... Kind of changes things when you know that doesn't it...... here's another fun fact Stephenville opponents record this year is 3 & 12.....2 of those wins are from Decatur

regaleagle
09-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Okay.....gotcha. Still, losing a seasoned qb like Hicks is a big deal when the next man up has never played qb in a varsity game yet.....esp. against a very formidable opponent like Stephenville.

regaleagle
09-24-2017, 02:22 PM
So Decatur plays Argyle for the first district game in 3 weeks. Argyle is at Paris this week, then takes a bye week before playing Decatur to start district play. Do you know the extent of Hick's injury???

briandumith*
09-24-2017, 02:52 PM
So Decatur plays Argyle for the first district game in 3 weeks. Argyle is at Paris this week, then takes a bye week before playing Decatur to start district play. Do you know the extent of Hick's injury???My source does not know the extent of the QB injury. He also stressed to me that they had 3 other key members of the team out for that game. Apparently a stomach bug was running through the team. Not my words his. I trust him. I have known him for years.

Ville-D
09-24-2017, 05:37 PM
My source does not know the extent of the QB injury. He also stressed to me that they had 3 other key members of the team out for that game. Apparently a stomach bug was running through the team. Not my words his. I trust him. I have known him for years.

Inspector Dumith on the job... :taunt:

briandumith*
09-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Inspector Dumith on the job... :taunt:Get it right... that would be investigator.. ;)

JacketSwarm
09-24-2017, 06:06 PM

the Jacket Defense is preparing to destroy the pitiful gram-cracker o. get your excuses ready for this week too bd. the Wardogs are coming for ya. Doomsday Wardogs - Jackets roll!!!!

FIRE AWAY!!!

briandumith*
09-24-2017, 06:21 PM
the Jacket Defense is preparing to destroy the pitiful gram-cracker o. get your excuses ready for this week too bd. the Wardogs are coming for ya. Doomsday Wardogs - Jackets roll!!!!

FIRE AWAY!!!https://youtu.be/pnExahMPPFI crazy man crazy!

briandumith*
09-24-2017, 06:33 PM

FIRE AWAY!!!Shhhhh!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/52a346997681784d200856a20f5627ed.jpg

BEAST
09-24-2017, 09:33 PM
In all honesty, I think Ville can win this game. If we had our D playing correctly against Graham we would have ran away with our game against the Steers. We were up 23-7 and didn’t make that stand.

That said, you Ville fellas, don’t start pounding your chest just yet. The records tell the tale. This will be the Jackets first quality opponent. Graham will score and they will fight till the end. They can beat Stephenville.

BEAST

JacketSwarm
09-25-2017, 03:45 PM
a buddy of mine who knows football said the steers are overrated again. he seen graham play. graham ain't crap. fans talk them up big time. proof will be friday when the Jackets light up the steers so bad at their home field they won't need stadium lights. Jackets roll big time!!!

FIRE AWAY!!!

briandumith*
09-25-2017, 03:55 PM
a buddy of mine who knows football said the steers are overrated again. he seen graham play. graham ain't crap. fans talk them up big time. proof will be friday when the Jackets light up the steers so bad at their home field they won't need stadium lights. Jackets roll big time!!!

FIRE AWAY!!!

I like your friend... He lives in your head.... keep listening to him. :crazy1:

briandumith*
09-25-2017, 03:56 PM
the pregame hubbub http://www.maxpreps.com/games/football-fall-17/graham-vs-stephenville/9-29-2017-GouwcjyLqE-zS1wx_9AX7g.htm#tab=matchup&schoolid=d9bf8331-1337-4aa9-bd38-ccaa3baaf108

slingshot
09-25-2017, 04:18 PM

FIRE AWAY!!!

4th grade? Maybe 5th? :speech:

JacketSwarm
09-25-2017, 07:16 PM
slingshot you must be what 2nd, 3rd? what team do you support again? see your location is ablilene. let me guess, wylie. try to be around a true hometown program sometime. might learn something. how many rings? yea, not many if any at all. Jackets will run the table in district this year boy. Come get ya some. Jackets roll graham! will roll brownwood. and will stomp wylie in the ground. come see for yourself. Wardog proud!

FIRE AWAY!!!

solocam
09-25-2017, 08:44 PM
jackets by 13

BEAST
09-25-2017, 09:09 PM
slingshot you must be what 2nd, 3rd? what team do you support again? see your location is ablilene. let me guess, wylie. try to be around a true hometown program sometime. might learn something. how many rings? yea, not many if any at all. Jackets will run the table in district this year boy. Come get ya some. Jackets roll graham! will roll brownwood. and will stomp wylie in the ground. come see for yourself. Wardog proud!

FIRE AWAY!!!

Your date with Brownwood will come soon enough. Take care of your business this week. Better focus on the task at hand. Graham is a solid opponent. First one y’all have played this season.

BEAST

Wayne
09-25-2017, 09:34 PM
I just don't see the Ville rolling up into Newton Field and man handling Graham. I think this is going to be a good solid game by both teams. Each teams weaknesses will be discovered and this game in my opinion is going to come down to coaching in the 4th quarter. I'm taking Graham by 7

jason
09-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Last week was Stephenville's first real test and by all accounts, they passed overwhelmingly. Regardless of their opponents records, they are 4-0 for the first time in a very long time.

That undefeated record is definitely on the line this week - this will be the 2nd of 3 consecutive games that they could lose, or could have lost. Goals for this week I would image include getting more reps in with Jones at Qb and coming out healthy.

This week should be a shootout though...

briandumith*
09-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Wake up Ville! this is just some of what you got coming at you!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170926/47b20a30b841f58c1b56ccd46498c8e4.jpg

Ville-D
09-26-2017, 11:54 PM
Here are my 2 cents...

I believe Ville wins by 14 to 17 points. My reasons:

1. Ville-O is getting rolling with the return of some injured players. This will be the first game after knocking off the rust last Friday.

2. Ville-D is better than any D we have had in the past 12 years (my opinion) - Are they the 82 Daingerfield Tigers? No, not hardly. They will make a few mistakes but each week they get better and better. Coach Moore has them playing and hitting harder then I have seen in a while.

3. Ville-SpecialTeams are playing lights out as well.

I believe that after Friday night we will have made a few believers up north.

This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

briandumith*
09-27-2017, 12:47 AM
Graham D has got tons better from the beginning of the season.the starting 4up front all have multiple sacks, fumbles caused, and tackles. Last week they recorded three interceptions two of which were pick-sixes. Held the opposing team to 66 yards rushing and around 200 passing. They are our weakest link but they are very strong.

Our offense is our strength. As I have said before I believe our offense is to be on the level as Carthage and Argyle. Are running back averages 190 yards per game all the while our quarterback averages 306 yards passing per game. The running back has scored 12 touchdowns on the ground. The quarterback has thrown 14 touchdowns through the air. And only thrown two interceptions. He has thrown to a host of receivers not just one or two. Now mind you this is only for the last 4 weeks. Our schedule has been more difficult than Stephenville. So we are better prepared for a stronger team.

slingshot
09-27-2017, 06:07 AM
*stops to roll up pants*
Ville defense best in last 12 years? So, better than the '12 SC team? Graham offense as good as Argyle or Carthage? Seriously? Put down the shared crack pipe and slowly back away guys...

d0tc0m
09-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Graham D has got tons better from the beginning of the season.the starting 4up front all have multiple sacks, fumbles caused, and tackles. Last week they recorded three interceptions two of which were pick-sixes. Held the opposing team to 66 yards rushing and around 200 passing. They are our weakest link but they are very strong.

Our offense is our strength. As I have said before I believe our offense is to be on the level as Carthage and Argyle. Are running back averages 190 yards per game all the while our quarterback averages 306 yards passing per game. The running back has scored 12 touchdowns on the ground. The quarterback has thrown 14 touchdowns through the air. And only thrown two interceptions. He has thrown to a host of receivers not just one or two. Now mind you this is only for the last 4 weeks. Our schedule has been more difficult than Stephenville. So we are better prepared for a stronger team.

I'll say this, Brian, I love your support for all things Graham. And I have not seen Graham play this year, so I'm speaking out of turn a bit. But I have seen Argyle and Carthage. And if the Steers' offense is as good as Argyle's, or even Carthage (which I put just a notch below Argyle), then you don't even need a defense. The Div. II trophy is all yours.

Ville-D
09-27-2017, 08:34 AM
*stops to roll up pants*
Ville defense best in last 12 years? So, better than the '12 SC team? Graham offense as good as Argyle or Carthage? Seriously? Put down the shared crack pipe and slowly back away guys...

Like I said this is my opinion. Time will tell.

Also, to your 2012 comment: the 2012 team was driven by am over powered offense. The O made it go that year. The defense was good, but nothing like this year.

And please don't lump me in with Dumith. SMH :ack!:

jason
09-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Just for a little point of reference....

The 2012 defense gave up right at 19 points per game in the regular season, 23 ppg on the season as a whole and the average went up to 28 in the playoffs...

2017 is currently giving up 18 ppg...

Ville-D is right - the offense carried that team and made an average defense look like state champions...see what i did there....

Sville
09-27-2017, 08:57 AM
I agree with Ville-D, this is the best Jacket defense since the Coach Morris era when Hank Carter (Lake Travis HC) was Morris' DC here.

The Jacket offense is powered by a very good OL and electric RB Nowak. The OL avg 255 and Nowak is avg. 10.4 ypc and 202 yds per game. The passing game has been inconsistent, but Jones showed he is shaking the rust off last week with 5 TD passes. If Jones can get in sync with WR 6'4 Aragon (state champ high jumper) then Sville has chance to make some serious noise this year.

slingshot
09-27-2017, 10:21 AM
I agree with Ville-D, this is the best Jacket defense since the Coach Morris era when Hank Carter (Lake Travis HC) was Morris' DC here.

The Jacket offense is powered by a very good OL and electric RB Nowak. The OL avg 255 and Nowak is avg. 10.4 ypc and 202 yds per game. The passing game has been inconsistent, but Jones showed he is shaking the rust off last week with 5 TD passes. If Jones can get in sync with WR 6'4 Aragon (state champ high jumper) then Sville has chance to make some serious noise this year.Curious to see how they do against that 'Carthage/Argyle' offense this week... :smoker:

hollywood
09-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Curious to see how they do against that 'Carthage/Argyle' offense this week... :smoker:

LOL! Man, how can anyone even compare to those 2 teams right now. Maybe WOS could but that's it.

hollywood
09-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Ville-D, jason and Sville all have good points and I agree. This is the best Ville defense I've seen in a long long time at this point in the season. And to know that the majority of the starters are Jr's, that's even more impressive. IMO, the keys to their play are the intangiables. Chemistry, great attitude, work ethic. Sure they are an athletic group, but they play so well as a team. They are a close knit group of young men on and off the field. Anything that's ever been successful, had a great team behind it. If you take the Stephenville Honeybee soccer team that won the State Championship this past Spring. They have great team chemistry: The majority of starters had played together since they were 8-9 yrs old. This year's Ville football team loves the game and are having fun playing the game. Are they at peak level, heck no. They have the potential to make some serious noise as Sville pointed out though, if they can get a little more in sync on offense. It's like your grandmothers Sunday roast dinner. It takes a little time to cook until it's ready. Have to let the juices blend together. But you can smell it and it's so close but you can't eat yet. But when the timer goes off and it's dinner time (dinner time is district), it's time to eat! And the VILLE will be eating! They are hungry!

CP3Dad
09-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Ville-D, jason and Sville all have good points and I agree. This is the best Ville defense I've seen in a long long time at this point in the season. And to know that the majority of the starters are Jr's, that's even more impressive. IMO, the keys to their play are the intangiables. Chemistry, great attitude, work ethic. Sure they are an athletic group, but they play so well as a team. They are a close knit group of young men on and off the field. Anything that's ever been successful, had a great team behind it. If you take the Stephenville Honeybee soccer team that won the State Championship this past Spring. They have great team chemistry: The majority of starters had played together since they were 8-9 yrs old. This year's Ville football team loves the game and are having fun playing the game. Are they at peak level, heck no. They have the potential to make some serious noise as Sville pointed out though, if they can get a little more in sync on offense. It's like your grandmothers Sunday roast dinner. It takes a little time to cook until it's ready. Have to let the juices blend together. But you can smell it and it's so close but you can't eat yet. But when the timer goes off and it's dinner time (dinner time is district), it's time to eat! And the VILLE will be eating! They are hungry!

Damn, that was beautiful and almost lunch. I'm hungry.

briandumith*
09-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Oh wow I say my opinion and then state facts and all you narrow-minded fellas went and attacked the opinion instead of admiring the facts. that's to be expected I guess. Now go back up there and reread ignore the opinion read the facts. Then realize that this is the most impressive offense that Graham has had in quite a while through four games. Now my opinion is based on facts. I have ran the numbers. Graham's offense is among the highest rated offenses in 4A. That's why I said what I did!!!

Razorback88
09-27-2017, 06:43 PM
*stops to roll up pants*
I agree with this guy

briandumith*
09-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Take this as you want but Pigskin prep is usually pretty accurate https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/a12f167285ff7b62fd83b90fdd0c829a.jpg

Ville-D
09-28-2017, 12:16 AM
Take this as you want but Pigskin prep is usually pretty accurate

So a little football math here... Last week Decatur was a 7 point favorite (according the the all powerful PsPrep) and lost 41-20. so they were 28 points off... (41-28 for ville or 20+28 for decatur to equal a 7 point win for decatur)... Off by a ratio of 4 points per point... so this translates to a 24 point Stephenville victory this week.

So with that amazing calculation I'll have to set my prediction at: Ville wins 48-14. (with one GS score early and one vs our 2's)

I love being the underdog!!!

48-14 - Mark it.

:1popcorn:
:1popcorn::1popcorn:
:1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn:
:1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn:

briandumith*
09-28-2017, 12:22 AM
So a little football math here... Last week Decatur was a 7 point favorite (according the the all powerful PsPrep) and lost 41-20. so they were 28 points off... (41-28 for ville or 20+28 for decatur to equal a 7 point win for decatur)... Off by a ratio of 4 points per point... so this translates to a 24 point Stephenville victory this week.

So with that amazing calculation I'll have to set my prediction at: Ville wins 48-14. (with one GS score early and one vs our 2's)

I love being the underdog!!!

48-14 - Mark it.

:1popcorn:
:1popcorn::1popcorn:
:1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn:
:1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn:Well if that's your take on it.. but I think everybody who follows pigskin prep. knows that they are really pretty accurate over the years. Not perfect but you know pretty dang accurate. I would expect you to disagree. They've been pretty much correct about us all year long. That's my take on it... your score predictions are insulting to our players. I would never put something like that up even if I thought that would be the score. You Stephenville guys really don't like it when somebody does not agree with y'all, and doesn't pick your Almighty team. Get a little chippy don't you.

jason
09-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Well if that's your take on it.. but I think everybody who follows pigskin prep. knows that they are really pretty accurate over the years. Not perfect but you know pretty dang accurate. I would expect you to disagree. They've been pretty much correct about us all year long. That's my take on it... your score predictions are insulting to our players. I would never put something like that up even if I thought that would be the score. You Stephenville guys really don't like it when somebody does not agree with y'all, and doesn't pick your Almighty team. Get a little chippy don't you.

Don't say yall...not all of us see through blue and gold glasses...
This is a winnable game for stephenville, but also very losable.

I did a pick'em in the local newspaper a few years ago, and won it two years in a row, and publicly picked against stephenville several times.
I even picked Brownwood to beat them once....talk about people's heads exploding lol...

briandumith*
09-28-2017, 08:47 AM

I did a pick'em in the local newspaper a few years ago, and won it two years in a row, and publicly picked against stephenville several times.
I even picked Brownwood to beat them once....talk about people's heads exploding lol...10-4

Sville
09-28-2017, 09:14 AM
I am looking forward to tomorrow. I believe this game is definitely a measuring stick for my Jackets to see just how much better they are this year as Graham is easily the best opponent they have played to date.

jason
09-28-2017, 09:40 AM
hope the weather doesn't have an impact - 50% chance of rain as of now

Ville-D
09-28-2017, 09:43 AM

I even picked Brownwood to beat them once....talk about people's heads exploding lol...

Wait, does this make me a homer?

Ville-D
09-28-2017, 09:45 AM
So based on the line I'll take Stephenville and the 6 points. Any takers?

briandumith*
09-28-2017, 10:13 AM
hope the weather doesn't have an impact - 50% chance of rain as of now

for Graham weather said 80% during the day but only 20% at night Just rain no lightning......but we all know how it can change.

jason
09-29-2017, 10:46 AM
anywhere good to grab dinner in graham or need to stop before we get there?

briandumith*
09-29-2017, 12:56 PM
anywhere good to grab dinner in graham or need to stop before we get there?Most places stay open after the games... sort of a tradition.. but Brother is a new BBQ spot just opened, vetoni's is Italian, Potters is pizza, Mi Familia is Mexican and so is Dos chiles, most of fast food places and pretty much all of these places can be found on 16 coming into town or going out depending on your destination. Most of the stuff down by the square close at night.

regaleagle
09-29-2017, 01:01 PM
A reality check game for both teams.

bobcat1
09-29-2017, 10:40 PM
anywhere good to grab dinner in graham or need to stop before we get there?
Dos Chiles. Chicken and Spinach Quesidillas

bobcat1
09-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Most places stay open after the games... sort of a tradition.. but Brother is a new BBQ spot just opened, vetoni's is Italian, Potters is pizza, Mi Familia is Mexican and so is Dos chiles, most of fast food places and pretty much all of these places can be found on 16 coming into town or going out depending on your destination. Most of the stuff down by the square close at night.

I like Mi Familia at lunch. Good stuff.

briandumith*
09-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Graham wins 30-14 both D showed up.. for the most part... that's very good news for Graham

briandumith*
09-30-2017, 01:30 PM
about the late hit.... I watched the video over and over last nigh and today... 99 was pushed to into 45 by 55 the Jackets linemen. them he himself pounced on top of the pile... don't believe me. please watch the film. If you can find it.. So In truth the flag should have been on the Jackets.