PDA

View Full Version : Tradition! Tradition! TRADITION!

Old Cardinal
02-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I just want to share with you about a great day each year in Bridge City. To open Baseball and Softball season, the Booster Club holds a BIG BBQ. This year they sold over 800 plates of good food. There is a baseball game between the Varsity and JV. Hunter Hays, the Sophomore sensation, just like last year, hit an unbelievable home run, estimated to go 400 feet. It crossed the 315 foot outfield fence higher than the trees back there and hit a roof in a housing project!...The Alumni ballgame took place, pitting the best of the past against each other. At the same time, our 23 year old new Softball Coach had the Varsity and JV working out at the adjacent girls field. Megan Godwin, another Sophomore sensation, knocked a towering home run. Our new Coach is just 5 years older than the Seniors on the team, having played for McNeese State in College and played softball also for the intermural National Champions, at one point. Maybe complying to Title IX has it's advantages for some teams! Also, a host of the "Ancient Athletes", many from the late 50s and 60s show up an eat BBQ and visit in one area, near the stands. The local newspaper always runs a picture of the ole timers that show up for this unique event. Now that's a tradition each year that every HS should have! All during the course of the day, between the games, there are quality "workshops" for younger boys and girls going on at each of the fields. The high school athletes, Coaches, and other very knowledgeable instructors, work with them. If your HS does not have an opening day festival, I would seriously consider starting a new tradition right now....
What activites have you found that generates interest in diamond sports, in your town, in the spring?

<small>[ February 02, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
02-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Can you share with us your scrimmages coming up?....Bridge City varsity Baseballers, scrimmage Kelly Bulldogs at 4:30 PM today(Monday)in Bridge City. Where is your team scrimmaging?

<small>[ February 03, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

9's Mom
02-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Barbers Hill vs Hitchcock...There...2/04 6PM

Old Cardinal
02-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Well it was 7-0 Bridge City over Kelly, when they started subbing freely. BCs Derek Blackshear and Jamie Knight kept them buffaloed at the plate. Kelly was a State Finalist in the non-UIL schools in baseball last season, and are picked to do well again this year. We saw Brian French, Mott, Brock Haymon, Hunter Hays fill the mound quite adequately as BC continued to dominate with good hitting, tonight. 9s Mom, how did BH fare against Hitchcock tonight? Did anyone get a score on Buna, Kirbyville, Jasper, etc:?

9's Mom
02-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Barbers Hill game is tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes

Keith7
02-03-2003, 11:01 PM
we scrimmaged Paradise and beat them pretty good.. we looked great for our first outing and hitting off a live pitcher...

Old Cardinal
02-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Keith, Did you get to pitch some?

Keith7
02-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Old Cardinal:
Keith, Did you get to pitch some?yea the first 2 innings, i struck out 2 and gave up 1 walk.. but no runs scored.. i figured that wasnt too bad for my first time out this year

<small>[ February 04, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>

Old Cardinal
02-05-2003, 02:13 PM
I was wondering about the scrimmage between the Buna Cougers and Silsbee Tigers Feb 4. That should have been a good one! Buna is always one of the runner ups, to Bridge City for the District; but climbs a weaker bracket situation- and was a Region III Quarterfinalist last season. They have one great All State pitcher in Chase Tucker...Buna's Coaching is kind of comical to watch, Head Coach Russell DeLome is either kicked out or should be kicked out at all too many games. I saw them play Sweeny a great game,last year, in the playoffs. They played a very disciplined game that night...Any word on BH and Hitchcock scrimmage?

9's Mom
02-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Barbers Hill came out ahead, we had to use our own pitchers for our turns at bat. I'm not sure, but I would guess that some of their team is still playing basketball. It was a long, cold scrimmage but our boys looked happy to be back in the swing, so to speak!

Old Cardinal
02-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Interesting scrimmage, 9's Mom-Thanks!...Several folks have asked how Bridge City can have such a large softball/baseball spring festival? Mr. Kendall Scales, heads up this event that is just 5 years of age. Kendall won three National Championships-girls softball Little League, and two Select team Softball ASA/AFA National Championships. Some of the famous people that came down to help on the workshops, this year, were- 1. Mark Petkovsek, major league pitcher for the Texas Rangers 2. Xavier Hernandez, pitching Coach for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 3. Dan Fletcher, Cincinnati Reds 4. Rev. Bubba Thurman, a McNeese Star and former Bridge City All Stater. 5. Chris Facker and Morgan Walker, both top flight Professional Pitching Coaches for Lamar U., McNeese and the Pittsburg Pirates 6. Head Coach Sam Moore, Bridge City, did a 2 hours Clinic for Junior League Baseball Coaches....There were a total of over 200 youth, eighth grade and under, availing themselves of the Professional Instruction and tips from the High School Varsity players....Not to be overlooked, Bridge City Softball Coach, Sissy Lemons, who came from the Assistant Coach at La Grange (Gators)in Lake Charles, Louisiana, had a great group of Professionals to work along with her team in helping the 8th grade and under girls. 1. Heather Moreaux from McNeese State and other McNeese Coaches 2. Sissy's twin brother, who is a Coach for Louisiana State University, worked diligently with the youngesters on the basics. Those hitting Coaches teaching "hips, buttocks, and abs" were really so helpful with the young enthusiasts that thought primary hitting muscles were the "biceps, triceps, forearms and wrist"! Every activity in town for youth, even the Junior basketball games, were rescheduled so that as many as possible could come out and receive this free clinic training, from great adults that care about youth....Get your alumni, booster club, area baseball enthusiasts together and start a festival like this- and you will not be disappointed.

<small>[ February 06, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
02-08-2003, 11:59 AM
SCRIMMAGES: Little Cypress-Mauriceville and Bridge City opted to play last night instead of today because of promised rain today. It was about 12-1 Bridge City after 6 innings. Then the substitutions took place by both teams for a lengthly workout. LCM just missed making the Playoffs last year being edged out by WO-S at the last game. Nederland, PNG took 1st and 2nd in that 4A district....How did the Sealy Tigers do against Weimar and that other good team?....Tell us about you teams scrimmages?

QBKilla
02-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Barbers Hill won the Hitchcock scrimmage 21-1. We started subbing after 3 innings. We faced Anahuac last night and fared very well, subbing again after about 3 innings. The score was somewhere around 12-2. We will face LaMarque Tuesday and then Channelview Friday.

40(5)

Old Cardinal
02-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Killa, BH is loaded-they have some good bats back. They ought to 10-run a lot of people in your District.

Old Cardinal
02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Well Bridge City topped Sulphur, LA in a scrimmage game and the JV beat them too. Now that is a significant event. Anyone that knows Louisiana baseball know that Sulphur-is always one of their very strongest teams. Sometime Barbe(Lake Charles), DeRidder, and a few of the others have extra strong baseball also. Sulphur is scheduled in a tough tournament over here shortly.