PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week, Part 2--Wylie @ Argyle

slingshot
09-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Argyle looking very formidable in all phases of the game--big and strong lines, have Williams back to tote the rock, throwing the ball well, and like all Coach Rogers teams playing aggressive and fundamental defense. They look to have no visible weaknesses and are 3-0 including a solid win over a very good Celina team. They also are playing at home and have the revenge factor as Wylie knocked them out in the Regional Semifinals last year.
Wylie comes in 2-1 after playing 2 big 5A teams the last 2 weeks. Defeating Lubbock Monterey at home and dropping a 24-23 heartbreaker on the road at Denison. Wylie is beat up with several key players out with injuries including starting QB Sam King though backup Tyler O'Conner played very well Friday in the loss. Wylie's defense is very solid and can probably keep us in any game as long as the offense can give them a rest. RB, WR, Slot, Return Man, K and bus driver Cason Grant is a threat to take it to the house on any play.
Both teams have great coaching staffs, strong winning traditions and great fan bases.
Should be a good one but if I'm honest will have to give the edge to Argyle. Very good chance these teams will meet again in the playoffs.

Bosqueville
09-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Argyle by 28.

Dawgs
09-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Argyle looking very formidable in all phases of the game--big and strong lines, have Williams back to tote the rock, throwing the ball well, and like all Coach Rogers teams playing aggressive and fundamental defense. They look to have no visible weaknesses and are 3-0 including a solid win over a very good Celina team.
I've seen this several times on this board. What make Celina a very good team? They won a close game with an average Princeton team. They got beat by a team Gilmer beat by 53. Gilmer put up a 60 piece, and Celina put up 9 points.

IMO Argyle allowing 34 points to Celina is suspect. I think Princeton also allowed 34 points to Celina. I wouldn't count AW out of this game. I think some might be overstating how good Argyle really is. Looks like they had problems stopping the run. I know AW can run the ball. This should be a close game. I'll take AW in a upset.

toddg
09-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Always bet on a coach named Todd😎

d0tc0m
09-17-2017, 04:31 PM
I've seen this several times on this board. What make Celina a very good team? They won a close game with an average Princeton team. They got beat by a team Gilmer beat by 53. Gilmer put up a 60 piece, and Celina put up 9 points.

IMO Argyle allowing 34 points to Celina is suspect. I think Princeton also allowed 34 points to Celina. I wouldn't count AW out of this game. I think some might be overstating how good Argyle really is. Looks like they had problems stopping the run. I know AW can run the ball. This should be a close game. I'll take AW in a upset.

Is it possible that Princeton has a decent team? And is it also possible that LC has a good team? And is it possible that Celina had several key starters out against LC? And is it possible that LC then had half its team out against Gilmer ... who, as it turns out, is also a really good team that LC didn't matchup with as well as they did Celina? And then is it possible that Celina got some key starters back - albeit at about 80% or less - and played much better against Argyle? And is it possible that Celina can have success against Argyle, even in a loss, and it says more about how a young, but talented Celina team is developing than it does about how suspect the Eagles are?

Look, the truth is, Celina didn't play a great game against Argyle, and Argyle didn't play a great game against Celina. Both teams made a ton of mistakes and blew opportunities. But both took some heavy weight shots at one another. Both teams slugged it out for four quarters. Argyle was never not in control of the game. But Celina fought their tails off and never let Argyle run away with it ... quite the contrary, actually. So when people are saying this is a good Celina team, what they're saying is this team is pretty young in some key spots, and this team is still finding its way a bit. But this is a Celina team that has a high ceiling - much higher than last year - and a group that has a team-first personality, is filled with good kids that work hard every week and is a team that is improving from week to week and will be playing post-Thanksgiving.

Caveman
09-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Of course you will.

regaleagle
09-19-2017, 03:26 AM
Seeing as some of the players for Argyle do read this forum.......we do appreciate the bulletin board material. Beyond that......Dawgs is absolutely correct that Argyle gave up a ton of yardage on the ground to Celina. Naturally, that's definitely cause for some concern to the Argyle coaching staff. Dawgs is also correct in his conclusion that since Wylie is predominantly a run first offense.....that this game could be very close. I tend to agree with those statements.....Wylie is a very quality opponent and a very physical one. Argyle's D line is not as big as in past years......it puts more pressure on the linebackers and secondary to support the run defense. My inclination is that Argyle's offense is so potent that it gives the defense plenty of room for improvement. Overall, Argyle's defense is good, but the line is seriously outweighed by most opponents' O-line. It wasn't a problem against Lovejoy, but against Celina it was. Celina is a predominantly run first, 2nd, and 3rd down offense, Lol. I would say Wylie is very similar.....big and physical upfront with good rb's. I'm hoping to see some improvement this week in the run defense against a similar offense in many ways. I agree that this game could be closer than most think. I have not forgotten that Wylie's strength is it's defense. You do the math.

slingshot
09-19-2017, 08:55 AM
Nice evaluation regal... should be a great barometer for both teams. Our O and D-lines are noticeably smaller than the last couple of years when we played y'all in the Semifinals and Quarterfinals. Similar to your description of your defense also, line is smaller but we have very good LB's and DB's to clean it up. Overall the defense is the strength of this Wylie team. Offense is a work in progress but has shown flashes of brilliance. Losing our starting QB and several other key offensive players has been a blow but it's 'next man up'.
With our O somewhat depleted and playing at your place, I'll pick the Eagles by 10. If both teams are healthy and playing on a neutral field the outcome could be very different...

d0tc0m
09-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Argyle's defensive line may not have size, but they are very quick off the ball and are technically sound. They get upfield pretty well, which caused some major problems for Celina's pass protection/passing game. The Eagles had pressure in the backfield on every single drop-back, it seemed. And they literally brought pressure from somewhere on every single snap. And if we lined up in a full-house formation, Argyle brought the house and the neighbors' houses too. In the run game, though, some of that was negated - though, not all, as Argyle's d-line still played fairly well - as Celina's big offensive linemen were able to just lean on Argyle's d-line and outman them a bit, creating some running lanes for our QB and RBs. Argyle's LBs and secondary are so fast, though, that those running lanes closed very quickly. The Eagles will need to do a better job of tackling against the Bulldogs this week, in my opinion, as Celina runners often got away from the first contact last week.

I'm sure Abilene Wylie will be able to move the ball a little bit against Argyle. But, I just don't know if the Bulldogs will have nearly enough defense to stop the Eagles' onslaught. There are just so many dang weapons spread out across the field that someone isn't going to be accounted for on every single play. With Williams in the backfield, the run game is a threat on every single snap, and he's also a good pass-catcher. Then you've got loads of speed and clean route-runners in Estrada, Nanny, McCollum, Lang and a host of other supporting cast members at the receiver spots for Copeland to choose from. And if you don't have a spy on Copeland, he'll tuck the ball and run, and the boy can move. He's elusive and very tough to bring down in the open field. He beat Celina on a pair of TD runs, and made several other scampers that kept drives alive that often resulted in points. He's pretty smart, too. Even when we got pressure on him, he didn't really panic and make any terrible decisions. Maybe one or two and that's about it. He'll take a sack if he has to and live to see another down, because he knows the offense has big-play potential that can overcome any down-and-yardage situation.

For Wylie, they'll have to play mistake free to win this game. Argyle is going to score buckets of points. But if Wylie can grind out some long drives and get some scores, they can negate the Argyle offense just a bit. But the Bulldogs cannot afford any kind of drive-killing penalties, because if they get into any 1st-and-20s or 2nd-and-20s like Celina did waaaaayyyy too many times, Argyle will bring the house and make it a quick three-and-out for the Wylie offense. And a few three-and-outs on offense will cause the defense to get gassed early against a relentless Eagles attack that has a much higher tempo than some of the Argyle teams of recent memory.

Razorback88
09-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Argyle by 21

Wayne
09-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Dotc0m you nailed it. Argyle has got to make that tackle. Celina QB had hands on him all night and he was able to escape with big yards.

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Just a question. Are any downlowers planning on this Friday and Gilmer Saturday?

Wayne
09-19-2017, 10:05 PM
I'm going to Argyle game Fri and thinking really hard on going to Gilmer.

Eagle Nation
09-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Parking may be an issue Friday night for the game but plenty of room to stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man
09-19-2017, 11:22 PM
I flipped a coin; it came up AW.

d0tc0m
09-20-2017, 07:05 AM
Just a question. Are any downlowers planning on this Friday and Gilmer Saturday?

Count me in. If anyone is a pilot, has a private jet and the capacity to come to Springfield, MO and pick me and my 2-year-old and 1-year-old. Both have their shots and are well behaved, mostly.

Caveman
09-20-2017, 02:46 PM
You need to check the new rules at Traylor Stadium before you drive there.

bobcat1
09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and choose ...... Wiley. As much as I like Argyle I think Wylie wins. Call me an Idiot but that is my gut instinct.

regaleagle
09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm really excited to see this game.....and just to be there for this home opener against those pesky Wyliedawgs, Lol. They are well-coached and have an awful good program, depth and bring a physical game with them. They usually have several outstanding athletes on the team.....this year it's Cason Grant. It will be fun watching how he defends against Argyle's passing attack and who he covers. When he's carrying the rock, I'ma hopin' our Boyz will be able to fill those holes and stop him from breaking off some big ones. I'm really lookiing forward to this battle tomorrow night......a home game and all the excitement attached to it against such a quality opponent. Celina was a big one last week, too......but that game was in Celina. It's just more exciting when the game is in your own house......know what I mean???

slingshot
09-21-2017, 07:49 PM
You look at Grant and he's not very impressive--5'10", maybe 150 dripping wet.... but the kid is an absolute baller. Very good speed, very elusive, excellent football IQ. 2 year starter at DB, very good receiver and a surprisingly good RB despite his size. Reminds me a lot of a kid from Argyle 3-4 years ago (can't remember his name). He has already committed to Mississippi State. Is also a track and soccer standout.

regaleagle
09-22-2017, 12:34 AM
How many out there think that Argyle will score 42 pts. by halftime.....they've done it in all 3 games so far. Just to let you know.....I don't. I'm looking for Wylie to have the best defense Argyle has seen so far this season. If Argyle gets to 35 for the game, I think they will be the winner. Wylie will need some turnovers and quick scores to put that many on the board. If Wylie contains Argyle's quick strikes and long balls, then this could keep the score lower and burn up clock. I figure Coach Sandifer will try to slow down the Eagles and burn as much clock as possible. If Argyle jumps out to a 2 or 3 td lead, Wylie will be forced to go to the air against Argyle's secondary. The Eagles D is very good at rushing the qb. The ground and pound game would most definitely be in Wylie's best interest......to burn clock and play keep away from the Argyle offense. Argyle is gonna score when they have the ball.....at least on better than 50% of their possessions, IMO. Limiting Argyle's possessions should be one of the keys to the game for Wylie.

d0tc0m
09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
How many out there think that Argyle will score 42 pts. by halftime.....they've done it in all 3 games so far. Just to let you know.....I don't. I'm looking for Wylie to have the best defense Argyle has seen so far this season. If Argyle gets to 35 for the game, I think they will be the winner. Wylie will need some turnovers and quick scores to put that many on the board. If Wylie contains Argyle's quick strikes and long balls, then this could keep the score lower and burn up clock. I figure Coach Sandifer will try to slow down the Eagles and burn as much clock as possible. If Argyle jumps out to a 2 or 3 td lead, Wylie will be forced to go to the air against Argyle's secondary. The Eagles D is very good at rushing the qb. The ground and pound game would most definitely be in Wylie's best interest......to burn clock and play keep away from the Argyle offense. Argyle is gonna score when they have the ball.....at least on better than 50% of their possessions, IMO. Limiting Argyle's possessions should be one of the keys to the game for Wylie.

You hit the nail on the head, Regal.

I think Wylie's defense will be fine. And I DO think the Bulldogs keep Argyle from reaching 42 points by halftime ... but not for the game. I just think the Eagles have way too many weapons on offense. Honestly, they remind me of the 2014 Gilmer team, in terms of just how many points of attack they have on that side of the ball. You can have a good defense, a really good defense, and still give up buckets of points to an offense like what Argyle has this year.

I look for this game to be similar to the Celina game, in all honesty. I think Wylie can make it close in the end, simply because they have some great kids and a hall of fame coach. I think Argyle wins by a couple of scores, but is in control of the game pretty much from the very start, and probably leads by at least three scores at some point. It'll be hard-fought, and hard-hitting, just like last week. But, in the end, there's just too much Argyle.

slingshot
09-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Good points all. These teams and coaching staffs know each other well. Wylie physically dominated a good Argyle team at the point of attack last year and ended their unbeaten season. This year's Eagle team is better than last year's. Wylie is not as big or physical up front as last year on either side of the ball but they still play hard and are fundamentally sound.
I think the determining factors are:
Wylie is beat up with our starting QB, FB (huge part of our O), top WR and some O-lineman out with injuries. Not an excuse just fact.
Game is in Argyle and they have revenge on their mind, just like Wylie did last year after the Eagles knocked them out in the 2015 Semifinals.
520 mile road trip and having to play hard to the last minute last week and now following that up with a 380 mile round tripper this week to face a fired up Eagle team.
Eagles strong favorites in this one...

regaleagle
09-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Good points all. These teams and coaching staffs know each other well. Wylie physically dominated a good Argyle team at the point of attack last year and ended their unbeaten season. This year's Eagle team is better than last year's. Wylie is not as big or physical up front as last year on either side of the ball but they still play hard and are fundamentally sound.
I think the determining factors are:
Wylie is beat up with our starting QB, FB (huge part of our O), top WR and some O-lineman out with injuries. Not an excuse just fact.
Game is in Argyle and they have revenge on their mind, just like Wylie did last year after the Eagles knocked them out in the 2015 Semifinals.
520 mile road trip and having to play hard to the last minute last week and now following that up with a 380 mile round tripper this week to face a fired up Eagle team.
Eagles strong favorites in this one...

Sorry to hear about all the injuries over in Wylie so early in the season to key players. The upside is the depth that Wylie has as one of the larger 4A schools. Players on the roster may number about the same as some other teams, but quality of those players I believe is much better at Wylie and other large schools in 4A with a quality football program(Stephenville). But we all know and recognize that Wylie is one of the very best programs in 4A in football......and has a depth of talent waiting in the wings. I'm not sure the same could be said for Argyle......next man up......and not suffer from the injuries.......except for this year. This year Argyle seems to be very deep in talent.......even at qb and the other skill positions. Even though Argyle's D-line is smaller than in years past......I truly believe this group will blend into a very formidable unit and become as good as some of our defenses in the past. Add that into the mix with Argyle's depth and offensive firepower this season......looks like this could very well be Argyle's very best team ever.....so far. Maybe not as many talented atheletes as in some previous years......but an overall better team with lots of depth. And most definitely the best qb Argyle has ever had, IMHO. This is why I'm really excited about this year's team. I think d0tc0m said it best.......Argyle's ceiling is very high on the improvement side with this bunch.....because of quality and depth of quality.

regaleagle
09-22-2017, 11:57 AM
To continue this thought......naturally all teams lose some strength when one of its key players is lost to injury, but it really helps to have the depth and quality on the bench when that happens. With this thought in mind, I believe these early season injuries Wylie has suffered will not negatively impact their team as much as it would if those injuries happened to other teams they play......and the same can be said this year about Argyle. Part of having a successful season in football is very often determined by how healthy the starters remain throughout the season. The other part is having depth on the bench ready to fill the voids. I look for Wylie to still give Argyle a very tough battle tonite......even with the injuries to their key starters. They have a great program, depth, and great coaching.....everything that makes a team very competitive in football.

slingshot
09-22-2017, 12:31 PM
...anytime Wylie and Argyle square off it is special, be it football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, marching band, UIL events (you get the idea :thumbsup:). Good luck to both teams and hope both come out of this one with no serious injuries. Good thing about our injuries so far (if their is such thing) is that as far as I know none are season ending--all should be back by playoffs. Even if we come up short tonight we will be a force in the playoffs. I truly expect a rematch in late November.

Wayne
09-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Crickets

Dawgs
09-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Crickets

Is it 35-0 at halftime? Wow sounds like Argyle putting on a show. Don't see too many teams beating up on Wylie like that. Impressive.

bobcat1
09-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Is it 35-0 at halftime? Wow sounds like Argyle putting on a show. Don't see too many teams beating up on Wylie like that. Impressive.I'll take my crow now so it's not overcooked.

Dawgs
09-22-2017, 09:30 PM
I'll take my crow now so it's not overcooked.
Haha. Me too!

Bosqueville
09-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Yeeouch.

Razorback88
09-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Wow-didn't see that one coming

Saggy Aggie
09-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Geez.....

d0tc0m
09-22-2017, 11:07 PM
I was messaging with an Argyle poster yesterday, and I told him that this game would be completely lopsided from the opening kickoff. Wylie was just too banged up coming into this game to have a shot. The Bulldogs are still a solid team, but, like I've said on multiple occasions, this Argyle team is just on a different level this year. This game would've been closer if Wylie had been at full strength, but the Eagles probably still would've won by four scores.

The good news for Wylie is they won't face another team as good as Argyle ... until they potentially meet again in the Region I playoffs.

Rocket Man
09-22-2017, 11:10 PM
I flipped a coin; it came up AW.

Dang it, I knew I should've used my Canadian quarter instead of that Peso for the flip.

regaleagle
09-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Argyle dominated this game from start to finish. Looks like the Eagles basically shut down Wylie's running game early in the first half and forced them to go to the air. Wylie's backup qb did throw for about 153 yds. but he threw alot of passes in this game......a couple were also intercepted. Wylie's lone score on their first possession of the 2nd half was a long TD pass by O'Connor. I thought he had a good arm and threw the ball pretty well......just too many Eagles on him and chasing him all night. Argyle's rb Williams got another 100 yds. for the 4th game in a row, and was pulled early in the 3rd qtr. so backup rb Noah Lang(transfer from Wylie) could carry the rock. He did a great job in the backup role and scored the last TD of the night on an impressive run. He's a very impressive runningback and would start for most teams. What can you say about Jon Copeland......he's by far the best qb Argyle's ever had.......no contest........and I've seen them all. Wylie did get after him in the 3rd with all-out blitzing on every down, but he still managed to complete the passes, move the chains, and hit another 70 yard scoring strike......this ball was thrown into a stiff breeze at least 50 yds in the air right on target......but not on a line.....he zipped it out there with plenty of air underneath it.......it was just beautiful to see. All in all......I don't know who there is on Argyle's schedule that can stop this offense. Maybe Decatur can launch some bombs and score on Argyle......but I doubt that they can stop the Eagles offense. There was even a 100 yd kickoff return by Cale Nanny called back tonight......the holding call was flagged on the other side of the field. Lots of flags flew out of those refs pockets when the score got so lopsided and didn't get any closer......I think 105 yds in penalties against Argyle tonite. That's more yardage than Wylie gained on the ground. I wanted to see how Argyle would do against Wylie this week after giving up so many yds. on the ground last week against Celina. They got a gold star for improvement.

Wayne
09-23-2017, 12:08 AM
I've been saying for the last few weeks how good this Argyle team is. Just something about them is different than I'm use to seeing from Argyle. Regal, I couldn't agree more about Copeland. That young man is very talented and by far the best QB to ever put on a Argyle jersey. There have been some great teams come out of Argyle. The 2013 State Championship team, 2014 State finalist, and the 2015 State finalist. But I honestly believe this team has the ability as well as the playmakers to be the best Argyle team ever. I know that's an old statement, but just sit back and enjoy the ride Eagles Fans, this season is going to be special........

Wayne
09-23-2017, 12:20 AM
And just think how much better this team will get when One of the top receivers in Estrada comes back from his injury. And one of Argyles top defensive backs in Zack Pelton returns. Two huge pieces to Argyles football team.

slingshot
09-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Wow. I thought all the talk about this being the best Argyle team ever was hyperbole... it's not.
Attention Carthage: your challenger is announced.

Bosqueville
09-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Wow. I thought all the talk about this being the best Argyle team ever was hyperbole... it's not.

There are three teams that are on a collision path-Argyle, LaVega and Carthage. Can't wait.

slingshot
09-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Not sure what to think about my beloved Bulldogs. Got absolutely destroyed by Argyle last night. I knew we were down some compared to last year's state championship qualifier squad but dang, 56-7? Don't remember a Wylie team ever getting beat that bad.
It will be hard to move on and focus on the next game. Good news is we just finished the toughest stretch of the season playing Lubbock Monterey, Denison and Argyle. Half of the offense is out injured and traveled 880 miles in the last 2 weeks. Play Brownfield on the road next week then have a bye week to heal and prepare for the district opener against Brownwood at home.
Thoughts?

Wayne
09-23-2017, 12:40 PM
I think you guys will be ok once you get healthy.

hollywood
09-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Not sure what to think about my beloved Bulldogs. Got absolutely destroyed by Argyle last night. I knew we were down some compared to last year's state championship qualifier squad but dang, 56-7? Don't remember a Wylie team ever getting beat that bad.
It will be hard to move on and focus on the next game. Good news is we just finished the toughest stretch of the season playing Lubbock Monterey, Denison and Argyle. Half of the offense is out injured and traveled 880 miles in the last 2 weeks. Play Brownfield on the road next week then have a bye week to heal and prepare for the district opener against Brownwood at home.
Thoughts?

Must be tough to absorb slingshot. I don't remember an AW team that has faced this much adversity. Serious question... what do you think the cause is for so many injuries? Just an observation from the last few years, it seems as though there have been several AW players on the injured reserve list. Thoughts?

slingshot
09-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Bad luck. Almost all our injuries are knees. Last year's team was good... and also lucky. Very few injuries. This year the injury bug reminds me of 2012.

cowboyandchrist
09-24-2017, 12:17 AM

If the Dawgs make it to Jerry's house they will be ready for who ever they meet. I will take my Dawgs in a state championship game, I have five good reasons for believing in them.
There is still a whole lot of football to be played, but I do see a storm brewing in the East.
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

slingshot
09-24-2017, 08:35 AM
I do see a storm brewing in the East...Trust me... there's one one brewing north of Ft Worth too.