PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week (Between the Beasts from the East) Div 1 Carthage & Div 2 Gilmer

buckeyebob
09-16-2017, 09:12 AM
This will be a standing room only & a slobber knocker. Saturday night, Jeff Traylor Stadium, Home of the Buckeyes.

On paper & according to the Dawgs, the Buckeyes need to sign surrender papers now to keep from getting crushed.

But, Buckeye Pride and believing in The Process prevent us from doing so. I say the Buckeyes will unleash on the Mighty Dawgs and pull out the rolled up newspaper & spank that butt. Bux are so ready and have the talent to whip up on those puppies.

This will be the place to be Saturday Night for the fight of two teams that have no love lost.

BRING IT ON!!

d0tc0m
09-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Easy, easy game of the week. Will be watching this one closely. I think Gilmer gives 'em a better game than most expect, but I do think Carthage is just on another level, as a team, this season.

Dawgs by three scores ... but it'll be much closer than that score will indicate.

Bosqueville
09-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Carthage by 2 TD's.

slingshot
09-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Carthage. Gilmer will give them a game, but... Carthage wins.

lostaussie
09-18-2017, 10:35 AM
According to the website that don't matter........we should all just go to Swanners and get a burger. Sounds like no need to play the game.

Dawgs
09-18-2017, 10:44 AM
According to the website that don't matter........we should all just go to Swanners and get a burger. Sounds like no need to play the game.

Haha. Anytime you go to Gilmer it's going to be a game.

lostaussie
09-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Haha. Anytime you go to Gilmer it's going to be a game.

That's what I'm thinking. I think it will be a great atmosphere, a HUGE crowd and a lot of fun. And I darn sure don't think we are get run out of our own house!!!

waterboy
09-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Rightly so. We were not very impressive against the only common opponent. To say our defense stunk it up in Game 1 would be a gross understatement. It looks like we are getting things ironed out. We will definitely have to be at our very best in all facets of the game to have a legit chance to beat Carthage.

I just hope our young men have enough PRIDE and FORTITUDE to give a very good Carthage team all they want, and then some.

The Buckeyes will have to play lights out in all facets of the game to win this one.

Dawgs
09-18-2017, 11:03 AM
That's what I'm thinking. I think it will be a great atmosphere, a HUGE crowd and a lot of fun. And I darn sure don't think we are get run out of our own house!!!

I will say I think Carthage is the favorite, and if it was a neutral site game I think the outcome would be different. But those Buckeyes show up at home. There is a lot to be said for that. Carthage has a monster of a team, but they are yet to play a complete game. It's not like Carthage is in playoff form and is firing on 12 cylinders. I honestly think Carthage has the more talented team, but thru 3 games I don't think either team is where they want to be. This will be a fun game that helps both teams prepare for district and the playoffs. Always a pleasure playing Gilmer. The last 10 years very rarely is one mentioned without the other in terms of ETX and 4a football.

Dawgs
09-18-2017, 11:17 AM
I was very impressed with the box score against WH, and a little bit surprised when I looked at it. I thought WH had the best defense Carthags has faced, and the best defense they will see until Kilgore. Carthage had 3 turnovers in the 1st half. Was up 42-20 at the end of the 3rd, and just ran out the clock in the 4th with neither team scoring. So that's 3 TO and only really 3 quarters of action...The Dawgs still put up 600 yards of offense and 42 points against what I think is a playoff 5a team with double Carthage's enrollment. I just don't know how good Carthage offense can be once they get the penelties and turnovers straightened out. Black Flag D better step it up big time. The team that plays the best defense wins this game.

coach
09-18-2017, 11:33 AM
I will be in attendance. Someone save me a seat on the 50 yard line of Gilmer's side. I will be wearing red with a bulldog foam finger.

waterboy
09-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I was very impressed with the box score against WH, and a little bit surprised when I looked at it. I thought WH had the best defense Carthags has faced, and the best defense they will see until Kilgore. Carthage had 3 turnovers in the 1st half. Was up 42-20 at the end of the 3rd, and just ran out the clock in the 4th with neither team scoring. So that's 3 TO and only really 3 quarters of action...The Dawgs still put up 600 yards of offense and 42 points against what I think is a playoff 5a team with double Carthage's enrollment. I just don't know how good Carthage offense can be once they get the penelties and turnovers straightened out. Black Flag D better step it up big time. The team that plays the best defense wins this game.

I honestly couldn't agree more. Both offenses have had turnover problems, too. The defensive side of the ball is where the difference will lie.

I just hope the Black Flag is up to the task.

waterboy
09-18-2017, 12:10 PM
I will be in attendance. Someone save me a seat on the 50 yard line of Gilmer's side. I will be wearing red with a bulldog foam finger.

Hahaha..., good luck with that..., unless you're in the pressbox!

On second thought, that's exactly where you'll be. Call you scout?

Dawgs
09-18-2017, 12:19 PM
I honestly couldn't agree more. Both offenses have had turnover problems, too. The defensive side of the ball is where the difference will lie.

I just hope the Black Flag is up to the task.
Why do both teams offense do that early in the season?! Both of them will look like world beaters sometimes and other times they look like they have never ran the offense. It's almost every season in Carthage. Only one I can remember it not starting bad was in 2013. Maybe 2009. Gilmer does the same dang thing every year too. One difference I do see is that Carthage almost always straightens it out. There are some years where Gilmer does not. I'm not sure the reason. But seasons like 2013 come to mind. Where Gilmer just never could get out of their own way. If I remember correctly last couple of years was kinda that way in Gilmer. But when Gilmer plays mistake free football they win a state championship. I may be off on that assessment. Just what I see from the outside looking in.

waterboy
09-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Why do both teams offense do that early in the season?! Both of them will look like world beaters sometimes and other times they look like they have never ran the offense. It's almost every season in Carthage. Only one I can remember it not starting bad was in 2013. Maybe 2009. Gilmer does the same dang thing every year too. One difference I do see is that Carthage almost always straightens it out. There are some years where Gilmer does not. I'm not sure the reason. But seasons like 2013 come to mind. Where Gilmer just never could get out of their own way. If I remember correctly last couple of years was kinda that way in Gilmer. But when Gilmer plays mistake free football they win a state championship. I may be off on that assessment. Just hat I see from the outside looking in.

The turnover bug has been a problem in Buckeyeland a number of years, and I think if we cut those mistakes just in half we likely have at least one more championship on our resume. To me, the biggest thing that has kept us from having more championships is our less than stellar defensive play. If we start taking more PRIDE on that side of the ball, and get more stops, our offense has been plenty good enough to win.

It's hard to gauge where our defense is at the moment, but it appears they have at least some of the kinks worked out. They will have to limit mistakes on offense AND play lights out on defense against the Dawgs in order to have a chance to win. It's definitely a tall task, but one that "can" happen. Whether it will or not is up to them.

lostaussie
09-18-2017, 01:03 PM
The house ain't going to be big enough!!!

http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/local-news/gilmer-isd-to-implement-new-rules-ahead-of-showdown-with-carthage/813485016

d0tc0m
09-18-2017, 01:38 PM
The house ain't going to be big enough!!!

http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/local-news/gilmer-isd-to-implement-new-rules-ahead-of-showdown-with-carthage/813485016

You better get there as close to 5:00 as you can, or you may not get a seat. Sure wish I could see this one!

coach
09-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Hahaha..., good luck with that..., unless you're in the pressbox!

On second thought, that's exactly where you'll be. Call you scout?

Yes, that is most likely where I will be. I'm going to try and get out of it. I can get all I need just by watching Hudl. No need for me to drive all the way to Traylorville.

waterboy
09-18-2017, 04:27 PM
You better get there as close to 5:00 as you can, or you may not get a seat. Sure wish I could see this one!

Ol' Aussie is like me and the rest of the Buckeye fans on this site, we have reserved seats. We can get there at kickoff and still get a seat. I'll still be there a couple of hours early because parking is a nightmare. Heck, I live close enough to walk to the stadium. I might just do that instead.

d0tc0m
09-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Ol' Aussie is like me and the rest of the Buckeye fans on this site, we have reserved seats. We can get there at kickoff and still get a seat. I'll still be there a couple of hours early because parking is a nightmare. Heck, I live close enough to walk to the stadium. I might just do that instead.

I always loved - and still do - getting to the game way early. It always calmed my nerves somehow.

lostaussie
09-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Normally on Friday nights, because of work, I'm in a race to get there. With this one on a Saturday, I will be in full form and at the stadium early..

bobcat1
09-19-2017, 06:08 AM
Ima thinking the Tree Nuts pull this one out.:1popcorn:

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Ima thinking the Tree Nuts pull this one out.:1popcorn:

Actually.......it's more like a bush nut:D

buckeyebob
09-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Yes, that is most likely where I will be. I'm going to try and get out of it. I can get all I need just by watching Hudl. No need for me to drive all the way to Traylorville.

Worth the trip for a Swanner Burger & a slab of pie...somebody needs to be there scouting...video is like washing your foot with a sock on

coach
09-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Worth the trip for a Swanner Burger & a slab of pie...somebody needs to be there scouting...video is like washing your foot with a sock on

Again, I can get EVERYTHING I need for my side of the ball on film. Plus, I want to be home with my family. If I go scout Saturday night, that is 3 straight nights I don't get to tuck my kid in bed. Also, 3 straight nights I can't sit in my recliner, watch tv, drink bee, and scratch myself.

bobcat1
09-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Actually.......it's more like a bush nut:D
That's just nasty!

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Word on the street is both schools are out of tickets. They will sell at the gates starting at 5 and sell until fire Marshall says no mas!!!

d0tc0m
09-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Word on the street is both schools are out of tickets. They will sell at the gates starting at 5 and sell until fire Marshall says no mas!!!

Attendance-wise ... what's been the hottest ticket in Buckeye history? Either at Traylor Stadium or otherwise? And what I mean, I guess, is what's been the hardest ticket to get? Or what game did you have to wait in line longest for just to get a seat?

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Probably this one. We had a game at home several years ago with Tatum that was basically the same. The 2014 game against Gladewater at Lobo was packed but I think if you wanted in you got in. That was a huge crowd.

Sweetwater Red
09-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Might make this one for the second year in a row. Maybe one of you Buckeye or Bulldog fans should start
a roll call thread so we get an idea of what other DL characters are going to be there.

Oh and pigskinpreps has this game listed as PK btw.

d0tc0m
09-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Might make this one for the second year in a row. Maybe one of you Buckeye or Bulldog fans should start
a roll call thread so we get an idea of what other DL characters are going to be there.

Wow. That's actually a little shocking to me. I mean, I figure it'll be close for almost the entire game. But I'm surprised they don't have Carthage favored. Maybe they should play this game after all.

waterboy
09-19-2017, 01:19 PM
There's been many times Buckeye Stadium (now Jeff Traylor) has been filled beyond capacity. Lots of matchups over the years where it was standing room only, i.e. games against Tatum, Daingerfield, Gladewater, etc. I do think this will be the biggest crowd since the stadium revamp that increased capacity to 7,150 according to Texas Bob.

I am shocked that this is a PK game. I would think that Carthage would be at least a 6-point favorite.

I do think we'll play the game anyway... :D This game will definitely say a lot about where each team is at in their quest for the ultimate prize. It won't make or break either team, but it is an interesting matchup, and a good barometer. Both teams are very good, well coached, and have a lot of tradition. It's a big test on a big stage, and any potential weakness will be exploited by the opposing coaches. The coaches are just that good.

waterboy
09-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Good luck getting in, or do you have a press pass or something? If you come, please sit on the opposite side you did last year! :D

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Good luck getting in, or do you have a press pass or something? If you come, please sit on the opposite side you did last year! :D

He has connections:D .........and he won't be.

waterboy
09-19-2017, 02:14 PM
He has connections:D .........and he won't be.

So..., you've got a seat for him? Did he sit on the Carthage side last year?

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
I have seats for half the Downlow evidently:D

Aggie98
09-19-2017, 05:00 PM

What about a burger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lostaussie
09-19-2017, 06:07 PM
What about a burger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that was payment for the seats:D

bobcat1
09-19-2017, 06:23 PM
If'n I had a bed over that way I'd drag a real bass boat (BassCat) and fish Sunday after the game.:taunt:

Matthew328
09-19-2017, 07:38 PM
I'll be in the house for this one...

d0tc0m
09-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Hey Buckeyes and Dawgs ... where can I listen to this game on my phone on Saturday? I'll be at home with just my two boys, and they both - for some reason or another - love to listen to games of any kind on the 'radio.' So this game will be our Saturday night, pre-bedtime routine.

Or, better yet, anyone know if NFHS Network or any other entity might do a live broadcast/webcast of this game? Seems of a large enough magnitude to do so, and with it being on a Saturday, they would be able to do it live.

lostaussie
09-20-2017, 08:21 AM
KYKX 105.7 will do the broadcast.

waterboy
09-20-2017, 09:10 AM
The radio station in Carthage does a good job. They are not too homeristic. I believe it's KGAS.

waterboy
09-20-2017, 11:11 AM
This game is likely to set an attendance record for our stadium. From what I've heard, and this is not confirmed, they are bringing in 2 sets of bleachers for each end zone. The Buckeye band will be in one of them.

What's the word, Aesculus gilmus?

pirate4state
09-20-2017, 11:17 AM

and I'm thankful. Can't wait!

lostaussie
09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
This game is likely to set an attendance record for our stadium. From what I've heard, and this is not confirmed, they are bringing in 2 sets of bleachers for each end zone. The Buckeye band will be in one of them.

What's the word, Aesculus gilmus?

There could potentially be twice the population of our town packed into the stadium!!!

waterboy
09-20-2017, 11:33 AM
and I'm thankful. Can't wait!

Mean Girl is coming to our house? You better say hi!

pirate4state
09-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Mean Girl is coming to our house? You better say hi!

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: Hi :wave:

coach
09-20-2017, 01:23 PM
:evilgrin: :evilgrin: Hi :wave:

She speaks!

Matthew328
09-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Game is a total sell out....no tickets will be sold at the gate

Aesculus gilmus
09-20-2017, 05:56 PM
The band director said they will not be in any end zone. They'll be in their normal area, but the drill team will be packed in there with them in the band bleachers this time instead of just to the south of them at the edge of the visitors' bleachers as is normally the case.

Wayne
09-20-2017, 06:12 PM
That saves me a long drive. It's going to be a good one!

buckeyebob
09-20-2017, 06:38 PM
My understanding:

Supt. from both schools set the number & how the tickets were handled.

Two worthy teams will play their hearts out with great respect for each other.

d0tc0m
09-20-2017, 07:59 PM
It may not have any implications on how the rest of the season turns out, but this is gonna be a fun one. It'll have a big-time playoff atmosphere, too.

lostaussie
09-20-2017, 08:20 PM
It may not have any implications on how the rest of the season turns out, but this is gonna be a fun one. It'll have a big-time playoff atmosphere, too.

It will no doubt be a lot of fun. But after Saturday night, win or lose, both teams will have a completely different agenda. I hope we have a clean, injury free game and both teams reach their ultimate destination.

bobcat1
09-20-2017, 10:13 PM
So I won't be there since no one got me a ticket(Terry).

waterboy
09-21-2017, 09:31 AM
So I won't be there since no one got me a ticket(Terry).

I know a guy who says he has 2 reserved tickets that aren't being used. I can check to see if he still has them.

waterboy
09-21-2017, 09:32 AM
The band director said they will not be in any end zone. They'll be in their normal area, but the drill team will be packed in there with them in the band bleachers this time instead of just to the south of them at the edge of the visitors' bleachers as is normally the case.

What about the extra stands?

lostaussie
09-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Bobcat I didn't know you were serious. I'm slap out of my 8 seats.

bobcat1
09-21-2017, 12:46 PM
I probably wouldn't make it. I have to work until 2pm. Pretty much kills my day. Usually have to work over also.

regaleagle
09-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Game is a total sell out....no tickets will be sold at the gate

I'm not surprised......Texas Bob.com stadiums says a capacity of 7150 at Jeff Traylor......is this the updated total now? Eagle Stadium in lil ol' Argyle has a capacity of 5000, and our game with AW will be SRO. I can imagine it will be SRO with Carthage coming to town, for sure. BTW>>>Carthage's stadium has a capacity of 6500 according to Texas Bob's. Of course, these numbers refer to "seating capacity".......not standing room only or how many tickets are allowed to be sold for that also. How is the SRO ticket sales calculated anyway???

waterboy
09-21-2017, 03:45 PM
That 7150 capacity is probably a little deceiving. I would hazard a guess that the visitors side would be lucky to hold 2500 once you take away the section the Buckeye band sits in. Nevertheless, it is a SELL OUT, and no tickets will be available at the gate.

lostaussie
09-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Thinking about scalping mine:D

waterboy
09-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Tooshay! I have 4! You think I could make my full season price back on 4 tickets? :D

lostaussie
09-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Tooshay! I have 4! You think I could make my full season price back on 4 tickets? :D

I'm thinking yes

waterboy
09-21-2017, 04:12 PM
I've got 4 reserved tickets side by side on the home side, between the 30 and 35 yard line, back row, lower tier, on the north end of the stadium. I'm taking bids! :D

buckeyebob
09-21-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm taking the Buckeyes

Just got in from Jr. High Games

7th 14-8 Dawgs
8th 13-12 Bux

Well fought down to the final seconds...probably is a look at Saturday

regaleagle
09-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Is Jason gonna hafta deduct another point because you misspelled "touche", LOL???

Wayne
09-21-2017, 11:15 PM
I'll start it off with 100.00 on the tickets

lostaussie
09-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Each?:D

Aesculus gilmus
09-22-2017, 07:40 AM

C'mon, man. That is chump change for an Argyle fan.

Don't fall for it, Buckeye season ticket holders. This person can probably afford at least five times that for a ticket and not miss it. :D

oldtownag
09-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Im headed to Gilmer Saturday. Tickets secured. Red shirt washed.

buckeyebob
09-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Im headed to Gilmer Saturday. Tickets secured. Red shirt washed.
Get there early...Parking is terrible...pee when you park (pack an empty water bottle for later)...plan on a hike...(here comes the blur...Buckeye sickle slices the pups to shreds)...reverse to car...a long ride home

Next year maybe

waterboy
09-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Is Jason gonna hafta deduct another point because you misspelled "touche", LOL???

:tisk: Don't give him any more ideas!:doh:

It was on purpose, though...:evilgrin:

pirate4state
09-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Well let me know before I get in the car and drive 7 hours! :D

44INAROW
09-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Well let me know before I get in the car and drive 7 hours! :D

Good catch Rita - be careful driving up there :)

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Carthage 7, Gilmer 7

2:47 1st

Carthage denied on 4th and goal from the 10.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Carthage 7, Gilmer 7

End 1st

Gilmer picked off in the endzone...

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Carthage 13, Gilmer 7

PAT no good.

49-yard pass

11:03 2nd

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Gilmer 14, Carthage 13

Brown 1-yard run....

8:41 2nd

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Edit....Gilmer with a pick 6....

21-13 Gilmer

6:38 2nd

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 08:15 PM
:30 left in the half

Gilmer at the Carthage 24....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Gilmer 28, Carthage 13

21-yard pass

:05 2nd

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Half

Gilmer 28, Carthage 13

slingshot
09-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Dang!

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Second half underway....Carthage 1st and 10.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Carthage turnover on downs at the Gilmer 25....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Carthage D gets a stop, forces a punt....

speedbump
09-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a pretty sloppy game. Lots of mistakes and penalties.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Carthage three and out....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Gilmer turnover on downs at the Carthage 15....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Gilmer with a pick....1st down at the 25.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Carthage with a pick....1st down at their own 45.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
2:36 3rd

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Carthage 1st and goal at the 3....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:21 PM
3rd and goal inside the 1....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:22 PM
TD Carthage....

Ingam 1-yard

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Timeout Carthage, going for 2.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:24 PM
2-pt try is good

28-21 Gilmer

:16 3rd

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Roughing the passer called on the 2-pt try....

Carthage onside kick and recovers it at the 22.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:27 PM
End 3rd

Gilmer leads 28-21.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:31 PM
TD Carthage....

Tied up at 28.

Tejastrue
09-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Awesome game thus far. Enjoying the Gilmer broadcast crew.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Carthage pick 6!

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Carthage 35, Gilmer 28

10:33 4th

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Gilmer 1st and 10 from their own 1....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Fumble!!

Carthage scoop and score....

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Carthage 41, Gilmer 28

PAT no good.

9:30 4th

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Gilmer forced to punt....

Carthage 1st down at the 17.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:50 PM
5:30 4th

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Carthage driving, 1st down at the Gilmer 22.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 09:53 PM
TD Carthage....

Ingram 23-yard run.

48-28 Carthage

3:01 4th

cowboyandchrist
09-23-2017, 10:01 PM
TD Carthage....

Ingram 23-yard run.

48-28 Carthage

3:01 4th

The Dawg D took over the ball game in second half.
K Ingram had 93 yards in the first half and 140 yards in the second half.
The Dawgs got pressured tonight and came alive.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Gilmer turnover on downs....

Carthage running out the clock.

Roughneck93
09-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Final

Carthage 48, Gilmer 28

d0tc0m
09-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Well, I said Carthage by three scores, but that it would be closer than the score indicated. I'd say this fits the bill.

Surratt proved his coaching mettle, that's for sure. Carthage absolutely dominated every facet of this game in the second half. Early in the third, I thought Gilmer was about to push the dagger through the Dawgs' heart. Then, BOOM, Carthage rattled off 35 straight points. I don't know how far you'd have to go back to find the last time Gilmer was shutout in a half. But Carthage made them look very pedestrian, and Gilmer is anything but pedestrian.

The Buckeyes will be just fine. They'll be around and in the mix come December. They won't play another team nearly as good as Carthage from here on out. But, holy smokes, if the paths continue, that Argyle vs Carthage title game is going to be unreal.

cowboyandchrist
09-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Dawgs 22 first downs 231 yards rushing 233 passing total yards 464 2 turnovers 1 punt flagged 7 times
Gilmer 24 105 317 422 4 2 8
Note: Gilmer had 47 total yards in the second half.

Aesculus gilmus
09-23-2017, 10:34 PM
The last time Gilmer was shut out in a half was the state championship game in 2012 against Navasota. Gilmer scored three points in the first quarter and lost, 39-3.

This was also the worst margin of defeat since that game.

d0tc0m
09-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Dawgs 22 first downs 231 yards rushing 233 passing total yards 464 2 turnovers 1 punt flagged 7 times
Gilmer 24 105 317 422 4 2 8
Note: Gilmer had 47 total yards in the second half.

Carthage started bringing some different pressure looks, paired with some different coverage looks, and Gilmer's o-line had no answer. Poppy looked timid throwing the ball there late in the third and into the fourth. I doubt this stays with him longer than this weekend, but you could tell he was second-guessing himself and just not throwing with much confidence.

Poor Nacogdoches next week ... This loss probably only stirs the hornets nest that is still a very talented and athletic Gilmer squad.

lostaussie
09-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Carthage is very good no doubt. But we shot ourselves in the foot all night. We will live to fight another day. Kudos to Carthage. They are very talented and most of all, they may have the best coach in the business.

PurplePop
09-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Carthage started bringing some different pressure looks, paired with some different coverage looks, and Gilmer's o-line had no answer. Poppy looked timid throwing the ball there late in the third and into the fourth. I doubt this stays with him longer than this weekend, but you could tell he was second-guessing himself and just not throwing with much confidence.

Poor Nacogdoches next week ... This loss probably only stirs the hornets nest that is still a very talented and athletic Gilmer squad.

Of course, the Nacogdoches coaches (that sure sounds funny) were probably at the game tonight with video cameras.

lostaussie
09-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Of course, the Nacogdoches coaches (that sure sounds funny) were probably at the game tonight with video cameras.

That won't help them

Aesculus gilmus
09-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Carthage started bringing some different pressure looks, paired with some different coverage looks, and Gilmer's o-line had no answer.

This wouldn't have mattered as much if we could have run the ball. That was the big difference from the first three games. Gilmer's running game was better in those first three games than it has been in years.

Tonight it wasn't there. You can either credit Carthage's superior defense for that or surmise that the Gilmer line and backs had an off night. Might have been a bit of both.

Our offensive coordinator said we'd have to avoid turnovers in order to win. We didn't, obviously. It reminded me a bit of the Sweetwater game in that respect.

oldtownag
09-23-2017, 11:50 PM
Back home. That drive was a lot shorter than i thought it would be at half time.

Great effort by both teams. Carthage D played totally different in 2nd half than 1st. Ingram started running down hill and Buckeye's just ran out of gas. I think size advantage just started wearing them down.

Good luck Buckeye's! I will be pulling for you the rest of the year.

Matthew328
09-24-2017, 01:01 AM
In the first half. Carthage was typically bringing 4 or 5 guys and Brown was able to quickly drop and go to his primary read on a lot of quick passes....put Carthage on their heels a bit and some of the downfield stuff opened up..

Carthage's adjustment was bringing 3 MAYBE 4 and forcing Brown to go to second and third reads...Brown holding the ball longer allowed Carthage to still get pressure and he got hit...that INT that turned the game around Brown was hit as he was throwing....Carthage's defensive adjustment to force Brown off primary reads was huge

buckeyebob
09-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Great job Dawgs...the best team won.

My Bux did a banner job...that was a great game, what FNF is all about in the State of Texas

To give all a true picture of the game...both sides gave it their all...when the final whistle blew, both sides embraced another color jersey...it was a total show of respect for one another.

waterboy
09-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Carthage is very good no doubt. But we shot ourselves in the foot all night. We will live to fight another day. Kudos to Carthage. They are very talented and most of all, they may have the best coach in the business.

Ditto that. I knew that if we didn't put points on the board on at least one of those third quarter red zone possessions it would come back to bite us. I feel like if we would've scored on either of those 3rd quarter possessions it would've been a different game entirely. Credit Carthage's defense with stepping up the pressure on us, though.

It's been the Buckeye story over the past 2 plus seasons now, TURNOVERS. Those are momentum killers for sure. Something needs to be done to break that trend, or we will likely fall short again this season. If we play solid defense, and take care of the ball, I think we win it all. We had ample opportunity to beat Carthage, but our Achilles Heel bit us in the behind.

d0tc0m
09-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Gilmer made some mistakes, certainly. But almost all of them that I saw were forced by the Carthage defense. Poppy's pick-6 was just a really, really bad decision. But the other INT he threw inside the red zone was not necessarily his fault, because he had the look he wanted, he just got clobbered as he threw the ball and it turned into a lame duck well short of the intended mark. The fumble by the receiver was just a great play by the Carthage DB. You can talk about ball security and all that jazz, but the bottom line is, sometimes the other team just makes a really good play, and that's what I saw more of in this game than Gilmer shooting themselves in the foot.

What it ended up doing, though, is it forced Gilmer's defense - which had done a magnificent job in the first half - to stay on the field for a lot of plays on consecutive drives without much time to catch their breath. Not only that, but several times they had to defend a short field. And honestly, against a bunch as athletic as Carthage has, you're eventually going to break down, and that's what happened there midway through the third quarter.

In saying all that, I really think Gilmer is just fine. Offense is still really good and explosive, regardless of what happened in the second half, and the defense is probably better than I expected them to be. Carthage may have given a blueprint of how to defend Gilmer, but the problem is, only a few teams in 4A Div. II will even have the personnel to be able to execute that formula.

I think one of those teams is Pleasant Grove, though, so this district may come down to that matchup between the Hawks and Buckeyes.

At any rate, these were two very talented teams playing a very exciting game. And the amount of respect shown afterwards was just awesome to see. Good luck to both teams the rest of the way (except Gilmer, if they play Celina again).

d0tc0m
09-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Also, I'll say this ...

This Carthage team is crazy talented. They may go 16-0 this year. And my opinion may change come playoff time, but as of right now, this year's group isn't as good as the 2008 Carthage squad. And, in that same vein, Ingram isn't nearly the HIGH SCHOOL running back that Dwight Smith was. In fact, for my dollar, Ingram isn't even the best player on the Dawgs' team. For me, I'd give that nod to Mykel Gates. Ingram may have more success at the next level, but for HS ball, I'd take Gates. He's a monster.

Of course, I'm splitting hairs here. It doesn't matter if this team is better or not quite as good as the 2008 team. And it doesn't matter who the best player on the team is. But when you have a team this good, it's fun to compare them to other great teams, and having seen both this year's team and that 2008 squad, I thought I'd offer an outsider's perspective.

waterboy
09-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Were you there, d0tc0m? Yes, the pressure from the Carthage defense in the second half basically won the game for them. What you fail to understand is turnovers has been the Achilles Heel of this team for the past 2+ seasons, and those other teams are not Carthage. Carthage had a big edge in talent in this contest, no doubt about it. I knew we were in trouble when we had 4 trips into the red zone where we came away with zero points. The most critical were the two trips in the 3rd. If we could've scored on just one of those this would've been a different ball game, and I think the Buckeyes would've won. Once the momentum shifted after that second trip into the red zone with no point we couldn't get it back. We didn't make the plays when we had the opportunities. Carthage gained momentum, never relented, and pulled away in the 4th. A pick-6 and a scoop and score were the daggers.

lostaussie
09-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Another play that killed us was the dang fake punt. Damn Surratt:D

waterboy
09-25-2017, 01:10 PM

The only way he goes through with that fake is if that right side opens up. There wasn't anybody at home on that play. Their punter is speedy enough to get 13 yards very quickly, especially with nobody else in the same zip code. :D

oldtownag
09-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Did Gilmer have the "hands team" in to field the kickoff during the onside kick? I think everyone with a little football knowledge saw that one coming.

waterboy
09-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Did Gilmer have the "hands team" in to field the kickoff during the onside kick? I think everyone with a little football knowledge saw that one coming.

I honestly don't think so. I was hollering at the coaches because surely they knew. It was a well executed onside, though, and took an angled hop. I just can't believe we didn't play the ball better.

regaleagle
09-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Well Heck.......I guess a little adversity this early in the season might be just what the doctor ordered for you Gilmerites, Huh? I'm sure your Boyz gave a good shock to those Carthagenians in the first half.....and look at all the good it did them......they woke up and smelled the coffee. Just so happens, the Buckeyes are just now smelling that coffee afterwards. Sounds to me like Gilmer really needed a game like this to happen just to get ready for a very good Pleasant Grove team this year.

oldtownag
09-25-2017, 05:53 PM
I honestly don't think so. I was hollering at the coaches because surely they knew. It was a well executed onside, though, and took an angled hop. I just can't believe we didn't play the ball better.

Well I was being respectful but it sure looked like they were not expecting the onside in that situation. Anytime a kickoff occurs after a 15 yard penalty you should be expecting onside kick. That is FB 101.

lostaussie
09-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Well I was being respectful but it sure looked like they were not expecting the onside in that situation. Anytime a kickoff occurs after a 15 yard penalty you should be expecting onside kick. That is FB 101.
There was not a dang person in the freaking stadium that didn't know what was coming. As soon as the ref threw the flag I was like" we better get the damn hands team in"