PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater 52 San Angelo Lakeview 21

GetRDoneStangs
09-15-2017, 11:41 PM
The game wasn't even that close. Class 5A Lakeview picked up a couple touchdowns late to make it respectful.

Chris Thompson continues to excel, don't remember his completion/attempts but was in the 75-80% range. I do know he had 396 yards, 7td's and no int's. He came out at the start of the 4th quarter. He is not running the ball like last year as the new offensive scheme, he passes, hands off and only runs as last option. (Big change from last year). Kobe Clark is main go to guy, but double team him and a couple more can make you pay.

I really like the Mustangs new coaching staff, they coach hard even when up by a bunch. Coach Knox our DC may be one of the youngest in the state (at 4A level for sure), but I bet this young man will go places in the future. He is very sharp and has that "Karizma" that is just a blast to watch from a sideline guy.

Next week is Rival Week as the Mustangs travel all the way (35 miles!!) to play the Snyder Tigers.

Sweetwater Red
09-16-2017, 12:00 AM
I'm paraphrasing here but when McGehee was asked why Chris Thompson wasn't running as much in his offense his answer was because we only have one Chris Thompson.

GetRDoneStangs
09-16-2017, 12:15 AM
I'm paraphrasing here but when McGehee was asked why Chris Thompson wasn't running as much in his offense his answer was because we only have one Chris Thompson.

Yes, I think that is pretty close to what he said, but I also think he looks better passing more from the pocket than he did before. We also showed we can march down the field without throwing a pass.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't run more later in the season as the competition get's a little stronger.

GetRDoneStangs
09-16-2017, 01:28 AM
Some highlights from the game.

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/mustangs-gallop-past-chiefs-on-homecoming/621558289

GetRDoneStangs
09-17-2017, 12:15 AM
Some highlights from the game.

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/mustangs-gallop-past-chiefs-on-homecoming/621558289

I forgot to add at the start of the video it shows 2 honorary team captains. Both men played in the very 1st game at The Mustang Bowl in 1939. Yes, that makes them 96 and 97 years old!