PDA

View Full Version : Argyle v Celina

firstdown
09-13-2017, 12:56 PM
I really figured this would be a hot topic this week. Argyle's good but they can't be so good that the mighty Bobcats don't want a little banter and repartee.

lostaussie
09-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Was it last year or the year before the Celina stung them a little by surprise. If that was last year that payback may be ugly. Argyle has started fast and furious. They may be playing the best ball in 4A right now. The game next week against Wylie could be a very interesting matchup. We should know more after both of their games this week.

firstdown
09-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Was it last year or the year before the Celina stung them a little by surprise. If that was last year that payback may be ugly. Argyle has started fast and furious. They may be playing the best ball in 4A right now. The game next week against Wylie could be a very interesting matchup. We should know more after both of their games this week.

It was the 2015 when Celina won, Argyle took their pound of flesh from the Bobcats last year. I suspect that this weeks game will be closer than most think.

Caveman
09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
It was the 2015 when Celina won, Argyle took their pound of flesh from the Bobcats last year. I suspect that this weeks game will be closer than most think.

Have to agree with you. Argyle's coach is not happy that the Bobcats lost to Liberty. He knows that's going to light a fire under the coach and the team. Let's hope the Eagles don't get complacent and think all they have to do is show up to get one in the win column or start thinking ahead to Wylie. Not to mention the game is in Celina. I think it's going to be a tough game that won't be decided until the 4th quarter.

lostaussie
09-13-2017, 02:03 PM
I hope the Bobcats give them a handful......but like I said, Argyle has busted out the gate like Secretariat. Was LaGrange really that bad or were they just not prepared?

Wayne
09-13-2017, 02:14 PM
This game will not even be close. Celina will score points in second half after the starters are out. Argyle only allowed 40 yards rushing on 38 carries last week. Defense is solid all around and offense has too many weapons.

Bosqueville
09-13-2017, 02:33 PM
I'm afraid Argyle will do whatever they want... Argyle by 35.

bobcat1
09-13-2017, 07:18 PM
To put it like Phil C... scary times indeed!

Celina8
09-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Argyle scores early and often . Shuts down Celina offense and rushing attack game is pretty much over by half. Nothing against my Bobcats but this is just the reality!

d0tc0m
09-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Argyle is the real deal this year. If I had to pick right now, I'd have them winning state over Carthage come December. As far as this game, Celina will play hard, they will play physical, and I think our defense will have some success against Argyle's rushing attack early on. Unfortunately, the Eagles just have too many weapons all over the field. With Copeland slinging the rock around to so many very good receivers, it's just going to be a tall task for the Bobcats defense to hold Argyle down for four quarters. How close this game is depends on how healthy Celina is. If our RB and TE are back, we should have a little more success moving the ball this week. But at the end of the day, I just don't think my Bobcats are ready to slay a giant like the 2017 Argyle Eagles.

That said, I know the kids have been working very hard, and the coaches too. The loss last week left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and it served as a wake up call. We learned more in that loss than we would have in a win. I hope these boys come out Friday and prove me wrong and make me choke down a bunch of crow. I'll be cheering on the orange and white no matter what. And I do believe this game will make us a load better later on down the road - so long as we come out of it healthy.

d0tc0m
09-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Also, not that it matters, but I'll say it anyway ... for those of you reading/posting on Smoaky, don't fall for the narrative that Liberty Christian could have beaten Celina 28-0, or that Princeton somehow should've beaten us by 20 points. Both comments are laughable. Celina's defense did a very good job against the Warriors, and the Bobcats were never not in control against Princeton.

There's a certain poster over on Smoaky who has been driving me nuts, and I'm about to put him on blast. He used to be a Celina supporter ... maybe still is? Also supports a new school, and is well on his way to crawling up Argyle's @$$. He still posts over here from time to time but under a different name. Anyway, I'm just tired of his dogging on Celina, so, to you, cool it, man.

regaleagle
09-14-2017, 01:53 AM
This is a rivalry game that has some history......and it's in Celina. The history in football has never been good.....one team usually whups the other one pretty good. Then there's all the other sports too. Bottom line is it's a football game with two pretty darn good football teams goin' at it, and anything can happen. I know Coach Rodgers is all over this one......this is always a big game for both schools. Both schools have a healthy respect for each other.....enough to really want to win this one moreso than other predistrict games. At one time we were in the same district in football, but no longer. The record is 5-4 in Argyle's favor in 15 seasons.......we did not play each other some of those years. There is only one other team Argyle has played 9 times in football.....Sanger. Against Sanger, Argyle is 9-0.....Gainesville 7-0.....Paris 6-0.....Decatur 4-1.....Graham 5-0. Looks like our next biggest rival is Wylie at 4-2.....and last season's predistrict game was cancelled due to lightning. We do have an all time record with Bridgeport and Prosper at 4-2. At one time these teams seemed to be like a rival......but Celina has most definitely become our "natural" rival thru the years. As you can see, Argyle has played Celina and Sanger the most of any other teams in our 14 yrs. There are lots of them we have played 5 times, but they kept changing our district, and then Argyle began playing a tougher predistrict schedule about 10 yrs ago and was always scheduling some new teams to play. So this week is considered a big game for Argyle because Celina is our closest rival......now you know the history and why.

Wayne
09-14-2017, 06:29 AM
Good stuff regaleagle......

regaleagle
09-14-2017, 10:52 PM
So will there be any place to sit on the Argyle side......or will it be standing room only again??? Otherwise known as fencewatching or sidelining, LOL. Then there's the always popular endzoning views. :1popcorn:

Caveman
09-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Argyle freshmen and JV's both lost yesterday. I think we're in for a battle.

regaleagle
09-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Argyle freshmen and JV's both lost yesterday. I think we're in for a battle.

When did that happen last, huh? Has it happened in the past 10 yrs??? Maybe Celina is getting ready to bust out up there in North Texas.....there's alot of population moving into that area. Prosper is building one of those stadiums like Allen has. I just don't believe little ol' Celina will be able to stay in D2 too much longer.

Sweetwater Red
09-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Argyle by 17 per preps

regaleagle
09-15-2017, 10:05 AM
In for a battle......that's exactly the kind of game the Eagles need right now after their start on the season. We have Wylie coming in next Friday in our home opener......so some hard hitting football is definitely on the agenda. I'm quite certain both Argyle and Celina will give it all they have tonight......there's alot of pride at stake here. Last time we played there we lost......I don't think Coach Rodgers enjoyed the short trip back to Argyle.

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 07:08 PM
http://mixlr.com/mark-kissinger/ Audio broadcast on internet

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Argyle 3 and out. Celina drives 70 yards for first score. Missed PAT Celina 6-0

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Argyle scores on next play after kickoff They lead now Argyle 7 Celina 6

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Argyle goes deep for another score. They now lead 14-6

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Argyle 21 Celina 6. Interception took back to the 10 QB runs it in from there. 3 minutes left in 1st We fumble, they got. Wheels coming off

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Argyle 28 Celina 14 Kickoff ran back for a TD by Major Martin. Go for 2 and get it.

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Argyle scores Now leads 42-20 Halftime

d0tc0m
09-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Argyle is very, very good. Scary speed and athleticism. Celina has absolutely killed themselves several times, too. The game has been way harder-fought than the score shows.

But folks, in case you didn't know, or hadn't heard ... Argyle is every bit as good as people have said. No. 1 team in the state in 4A, in my opinion. And yes, C&C, before you start playing meteorologist on us, I've seen Carthage, and I know they're good. But Argyle is most athletic group Celina has faced since 2014 Gilmer.

cowboyandchrist
09-15-2017, 09:22 PM
Argyle is very, very good. Scary speed and athleticism. Celina has absolutely killed themselves several times, too. The game has been way harder-fought than the score shows.

But folks, in case you didn't know, or hadn't heard ... Argyle is every bit as good as people have said. No. 1 team in the state in 4A, in my opinion. And yes, C&C, before you start playing meteorologist on us, I've seen Carthage, and I know they're good. But Argyle is most athletic group Celina has faced since 2014 Gilmer.

I hope the Dawgs get to meet them in December. You have seen the Dawgs this year, but you have not seen the playoff Dawgs. You will not see them until week 11. To add to that, they will be better in week 12 than 11, better in week 13 than 12 and you get what I am saying.
Only team I have ever watch that gets better every week in the playoffs. They have been doing it since coach S got there. Most teams are as good as they are going to get by week 8 or 9, not the Dawgs.
I hope the Dawgs get to play Argyle, sounds like it will be one for the ages. Scary thing is the Dawgs are starting five and sometimes six sophomores.

d0tc0m
09-15-2017, 09:50 PM
I hope the Dawgs get to meet them in December. You have seen the Dawgs this year, but you have not seen the playoff Dawgs. You will not see them until week 11. To add to that, they will be better in week 12 than 11, better in week 13 than 12 and you get what I am saying.
Only team I have ever watch that gets better every week in the playoffs. They have been doing it since coach S got there. Most teams are as good as they are going to get by week 8 or 9, not the Dawgs.
I hope the Dawgs get to play Argyle, sounds like it will be one for the ages. Scary thing is the Dawgs are starting five and sometimes six sophomores.

Well, you're right, C&C, Carthage gets better each week, as they should. But, I hate to break it to you, Argyle does too. And they're already clicking on just about every cylinder. They're far from playing perfectly, but, their ceiling is scary high, and they've got the talent, discipline and coaching to reach their fullest potential. I've said this already, but I'll say it again, Argyle is the best team Celina will play all year long.

At any rate, Argyle vs Carthage for the Div. I title would be a whale of a matchup. It would be ne of the more hyped state games, in all likelihood, in recent memory.

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Argyle 49 Celina 28 Still playing

d0tc0m
09-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Argyle 49
Celina 34
FINAL

Argyle is legit. Celina played very tough. Both teams brought the freaking wood tonight. There was some pad-popping going on, for sure. Great game, Argyle. I know they won't be satisfied in the slightest with this win. Eagles will be playing deep into December.

The Bobcats will be fine. We knew these first three games were going to be a tall task for a young team that has talent, but is still searching for its identity. These first weeks have served to toughen us up and show us our weaknesses. The next few weeks will give us the opportunity to get some things sorted out, and get a rhythm and identity established.

I don't believe in moral victories, but I feel very good about this Celina team after tonight's game. Proud of these Bobcats!

bobcat1
09-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Ditto.

d0tc0m
09-15-2017, 11:33 PM
I don't know Argyle's stats, but I'm sure they had a lot of yards. But I'm very proud of the Bobcats rushing for 418 yards against a good Argyle defense. And that was with backups at the RG and RT spots, a banged up RB and TE, and a still developing passing game. When Celina does figure out its pass protection and allows our young QB to gain some confidence and get some timing and rhythm down with his receivers, we will be a dangerous team. The defense continues to improve each week. They are a tough, tough bunch that bring the hats and are hard on the run.

buckeyebob
09-16-2017, 12:14 AM
The Beast is still here and hungry.

Dawgs
09-16-2017, 03:34 AM

Argyle played a tough game with Celina. The same Celina that got beat by LC. LC the same team that Gilmer beat by 53. I know Argyle is good, but I'll wait to see more.

d0tc0m
09-16-2017, 08:14 AM
Argyle played a tough game with Celina. The same Celina that got beat by LC. LC the same team that Gilmer beat by 53. I know Argyle is good, but I'll wait to see more.

That's fair. Celina had several key players out against LC. And LC had about half its team out against Gilmer. Not saying they would've beaten the Buckeyes, just because it was a tough matchup, but it would've been much closer. And lest we forget, Gilmer is a state title favorite in their own right in Div. II.

Celina8
09-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Looking at the stats both teams had a total of 470 yards total offense however it looks to me like Argyle had control of this ball game from beginning to end when looking at the scoring as they had a 42 to 20 halftime lead then added another 7 in the third quarter to make it 49 to 22 as Celina got a safety . In the 4th Celina added two touchdowns but was Argyle still playing all their starters then? Just trying to get a better picture of this game since I live to far to attend. One observation is that Celina does not seem to be any threat as a passing team and our pass defense is very vulnerable.

d0tc0m
09-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Looking at the stats both teams had a total of 470 yards total offense however it looks to me like Argyle had control of this ball game from beginning to end when looking at the scoring as they had a 42 to 20 halftime lead then added another 7 in the third quarter to make it 49 to 22 as Celina got a safety . In the 4th Celina added two touchdowns but was Argyle still playing all their starters then? Just trying to get a better picture of this game since I live to far to attend. One observation is that Celina does not seem to be any threat as a passing team and our pass defense is very vulnerable.

Those are the exact observations I'd expect someone to have if they only had stats/boxscore to reference. So I'll try to hit on all these. Argyle had its starters in until the last snap. Celina is susceptible to the pass when the team has a QB like Copeland and a 1/2 dozen legitimate HR threats to choose from on any given play, including his own running abilities, and a very good RB. The Bobcats adjusted very well in the second half to the Eagles' attack. Argyle was in control, you're right, but the game was closer than it appeared at those points. As soon as Argyle looked poised to run away with it, Celina responded and swung momentum back the other way. They never allowed Argyle to relax. Celina had the wheels come off in the first quarter with two turnovers in their own red zone, AND a self-blocked punt returned for a TD. But the Bobcats never hung their head and felt sorry for themselves. They responded with grit and fight, and that's what we didn't see last year's team do, and it's exactly what I wanted to see them do against Argyle. As far as the passing game goes, a lot of credit goes to Argyle. They are so athletic and disciplined in the secondary, they just didn't give our very young QB many options. They also had pressure on us on almost every single snap. We were starting backups at the RG and RT positions, which didn't help, but those kids grew up a ton.

These coming weeks will be spent developing that passing game. Getting the pass protection sorted out, tweaking some personnel, and giving Ross some opportunities to gain some confidence, and get some chemistry/timing with his receivers. One thing is certain, though, Ross is tough as nails and runs the ball very well.

Wayne
09-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Couldn't have said it any better. Celina's QB was so elusive and Argyle couldn't make the tackle on him. Kid is going to be a threat when he gets the passing game going. As for Copeland, the kid is special..... and it helps when you have 5 or 6 different receivers you can throw to. But he can also beat you with his legs. As far as the Argyle Defense, I'm not sure what our deal was last night . We have been so good at stopping the run this year, and last night it looked like we couldn't tackle to save our lives. Secondary played solid. Penalties killed us as well. We just didn't look like ourselves last night on D. Almost looks like we went in underestimating Celina. Good game to watch for sure, but they usually are when these 2 teams play. Celina will be ok.

d0tc0m
09-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Couldn't have said it any better. Celina's QB was so elusive and Argyle couldn't make the tackle on him. Kid is going to be a threat when he gets the passing game going. As for Copeland, the kid is special..... and it helps when you have 5 or 6 different receivers you can throw to. But he can also beat you with his legs. As far as the Argyle Defense, I'm not sure what our deal was last night . We have been so good at stopping the run this year, and last night it looked like we couldn't tackle to save our lives. Secondary played solid. Penalties killed us as well. We just didn't look like ourselves last night on D. Almost looks like we went in underestimating Celina. Good game to watch for sure, but they usually are when these 2 teams play. Celina will be ok.

I bet Coach Rodgers wasn't too pleased after last night. Argyle was really one big play away from putting Celina away and they just didn't do it. I wouldn't say Argyle took their foot off the gas pedal, but they just didn't drop the axe when they had the chance. My hunch is we won't see Argyle do that again this year. The Eagles will be going for the jugular as early as they can from here on out. That's bad news for everyone on their schedule from here on out.

Caveman
09-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Let me give my insight into coach Rogers (and it's not something I necessarily agree with). When I lived in Argyle my neighbor had a son who played running back. Argyle was ahead in the game and this kid was told by Rogers not to score. Well, when a kid sees nothing but green grass what are they supposed to do? The young man scored a touchdown and Rogers pulled the him for the rest of the game. In his mind he doesn't want to embarrass anyone (and I'm guessing) giving them a reason to have a chip on their shoulder the next time they play. I look at that as being a dangerous philosophy. But, you can't argue with success.

regaleagle
09-16-2017, 05:20 PM
I don't think anyone at this point is questioning the offensive firepower of Argyle. The fact that Celina.....who happens to be very big upfront offensively.....gained so much yardage on the ground against the Argyle defense is cause for some concern. Granted.....Celina is a very good team and does play that pound-it power football as good as anyone.....they've been doing it since Gordon Wood days. I think this game more than anything sent a message to other teams in D-2 that Celina will be a serious contender this season. It appears they have many pieces to go very deep in the playoffs.....even without a prolific passing game. I think Celina has always been better as a running team.....pounding the ball and keeping possession on long drives to wear out the other team's defense. This is their strong suit.....they do it better than just about anybody else when they have the size up front like they do this season. A good qb with legs and speed, a good rb, and then a few receivers to keep the defense honest is the right recipe for wins for Celina....IMHO. They played Argyle tough and never quit. It was a game both teams needed to play at this juncture of the season.

bobcat1
09-16-2017, 05:31 PM
I don't think anyone at this point is questioning the offensive firepower of Argyle. The fact that Celina.....who happens to be very big upfront offensively.....gained so much yardage on the ground against the Argyle defense is cause for some concern. Granted.....Celina is a very good team and does play that pound-it power football as good as anyone.....they've been doing it since Gordon Wood days. I think this game more than anything sent a message to other teams in D-2 that Celina will be a serious contender this season. It appears they have many pieces to go very deep in the playoffs.....even without a prolific passing game. I think Celina has always been better as a running team.....pounding the ball and keeping possession on long drives to wear out the other team's defense. This is their strong suit.....they do it better than just about anybody else when they have the size up front like they do this season. A good qb with legs and speed, a good rb, and then a few receivers to keep the defense honest is the right recipe for wins for Celina....IMHO. They played Argyle tough and never quit. It was a game both teams needed to play at this juncture of the season.

True on all accounts. What I liked most and I was only listening was the never quit attitude. You can't coach heart. A team has it or it doesn't.

d0tc0m
09-16-2017, 05:47 PM
True on all accounts. What I liked most and I was only listening was the never quit attitude. You can't coach heart. A team has it or it doesn't.

You nailed it, Bobcat. The 2015 squad had it. And this year's team has it. This group is all about the team, and they are playing for one another, and, like you said, you can't coach that. We're gonna be just fine.

d0tc0m
09-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Good post, regal. I suspect both these teams will be playing post-Thanksgiving.