PDA

View Full Version : Peebles-The Sophmore is now a Senior!

Old Cardinal
09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Two years ago, folks were predicting Newton by 40 points over Bridge City. A 0-10 team coming out of a harsh 4A district had graduated heavily. Bridge City instead spanked Newton by a score spread of 22 points, and it could have been worst! A big rangy Sophmore, Matt Peebles, carried 20 times for 212 yards. Watching that young re-building Sophmore team, whip a top 5 team- was hard to comprehend. Last year that same tailback suffered MANY major injuries and was used as a Safety, when he could play. Tomorrow night, Peebles starts against "the fastest quickest offense and defense, in Newton history!". Bridge City, under a new Coach, is breaking in a new offensive and defensive line with a whole new scheme. Who really knows what will happen?......Matt got a nickname as an 8th grader. Bridge City was playing 4A back then, and Port Neches-Groves was one of the premier teams in Texas. At the end of the 3rd quarter it was 68-0 Bridge City, in the 8th grade game. The PNG Coaching Staff conceeded the game at that point. The HC told the Ref's and the Bridge City Coaches- they were going to the house. His final statement was, we can't compete with THE COLLEGE BOY, on the field! That nickname started to stick. A nice quite kid, is sometimes referred to as THE COLLEGE BOY, and most folks that follow football, in SE Texas, know they are referring to Matt Peebles.

notwen
09-19-2002, 02:27 PM
hey old cardinal i don not know where people are getting that this is the quickest and fastest team newton has had because it is not these guys are not even in the top five quickest teams from newton. they are good system players. we have been running the same system for the last 38 years and they just fit in well. also i remember when peebles came to newton and ran over newton. dam i hated that game. he is good and maybe even great but i hope we have his number tomorrow night. good luck to you guys

Old Cardinal
09-19-2002, 03:41 PM
Notwen, I heard that from Newton folks on this message board, "fastest,quickest team in Newton history". A lot of the Newton folks down here working(Golden Triangle) construction have said "the best team in Newton history" I purposely did NOT say that since I did not here it on this message board. Yes, a 38 year system is kind of hard to argue with, most teams in Texas would love to have half the record Newton has accumulated in the last four decades. By the way, welcome to the 3A Down Low message board.

notwen
09-19-2002, 03:54 PM
I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE FROM NEWTON BUMPING THEIR GUMS ABOUT THIS SO CALLED THE FASTEST TEAM IN HISTORY. WE SHOULD DO OKAY THIS YEAR BUT AFTER THIS YEAR WE SHOULD BE READY TO WIN A STATE TITLE WITH HAVE TWO SOPHOMORE RUNNING BACKS THAT ARE TOUGH GUY. YOU WANT SEE THEM TOMORROW BUT BELEIVE ME THESE GUYS ARE SPECIAL

98Eagle
09-19-2002, 04:28 PM
This team does remind me a lot of the 98 teams quick D and several good running backs. The one thing that they could use is a strong passing game similiar to the one that David Walker had in 98. As far as fastest running backs I think that Brian Samuel in 95 was the fastest back to come through Newton.

Newton Fan
09-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Newton has a really good team this year and we have one of the highest IQ QB's to play for us. Should be able to do some audible's at the line and read the D's well. Also one of the top centers snapping to him in the state.

But... as the earlier poster stated after this year you better watch out. We have some really great kids coming along.

BWK/LBP
09-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey OLD CARDINAL. You have contridicted yourself when you said that Newton people work in the golden triangle. I thought all Newton people were retarded, tobacco chewing loggers who dropped out of school in the sixth grade. Im sorry but you wont live this one down. I didnt know if i should laugh or cry when i read the message it was so uncalled for and a slap in the face. You totally went out of your way to make us look like some fools. Im sorry, maybe it is because i dont like bridge city. Yall overexagerate EVERYTHING. If someone from like ozen or jasper would have said it i wouldnt have got so mad. Another thing, dont try to say that newton has "the quickest and fastest team in newton history". It was probobly said by some woman who overheard one of the coaches saying something about fast and quick people. And also dont try to use it as an excuse after the game tommorow night.
PS. Just for the record peeble is fast and smooth but consider who yall have played.

NEWTON 28 BC 0