PDA

View Full Version : Celina at Liberty Christian

d0tc0m
09-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Anyone scrimmage LC this preseason? Or know anything about what they've got coming back? I know they lost their best player to Argyle, other than that, I know nothing. Copeland is all that kept them in the game against an alright Celina team last year. The Bobcats had about run away and hid with the game at half, but that team struggled with putting teams away.

Celina is a much better team this year, so I expect a Bobcats W. just curious if anyone else knows anything about the Warriors.

Some folks ... a couple of which post here once in a while ... were/are really high on Melissa this year, but the Cardinals struggled last week in a low-scoring affair with LC.

lostaussie
09-06-2017, 06:43 PM
We play them next week. Evidently they ain't skeered. That's a tough start to the season.

d0tc0m
09-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes it is. Can't fault them for scheduling tough to get themselves ready. Two contrasting styles they'll see in Celina this week and Gilmer next week. Defense ought to get some good work.

Aesculus gilmus
09-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Interesting sidenote I heard accidentally on the radio a few months ago. I was tuning across the AM dial and heard talk show host Glenn Beck, who lives fairly near Argyle, complaining to his sidekicks about the private school which refused admission to one of his children. Turned out it was Liberty Christian. I think the excuse was that a Mormon would not be comfortable in the Liberty Christian environment.

But that illustrates the huge difference between private and public schools. As Coach Traylor used to say, "We have to take everybody." It's also why not all private schools are on board with Dan Patrick's voucher scheme even though they'd make a lot of money off it.

orange machine
09-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Liberty Christian is very talented and a much better team then last year. Defensively they are tough and physical. Dline is big and linebackers tackle good. Secondary is fast and comes up quick on run plays. Offensively there running back is really good and runs hard. Oline blocks good. Liberty Christian has had numerous new kids show up this year with a few of them coming from Flower Mound Marcus.

lostaussie
09-07-2017, 02:09 PM
They certainly had some mighty fine facilities last year!!!! The drive over was good for me too because I stopped for the game on the way to the lease.

d0tc0m
09-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Liberty Christian is very talented and a much better team then last year. Defensively they are tough and physical. Dline is big and linebackers tackle good. Secondary is fast and comes up quick on run plays. Offensively there running back is really good and runs hard. Oline blocks good. Liberty Christian has had numerous new kids show up this year with a few of them coming from Flower Mound Marcus.

Ought to be a good game Friday, then. Celina, historically, has always had LC's number, but most years, at least recently, it's a pretty competitive game.

Wayne
09-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Combine Liberty and Argyle together and build a 5a powerhouse. Lol

Aesculus gilmus
09-07-2017, 04:16 PM

Did they just "show up" or were there some scholarships involved? I am not implying anything illegal. I'd be recruiting, too, if my best player had left for the public school in Argyle. On the Tyler-based site, someone from your area said LC has four players with D1 offers. That's four more than Gilmer has, if true. So they ought to MURDER us when they come to Gilmer next week. I am concerned we may not even be able to field a team for the following week's big game against Carthage.

buckeyebob
09-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Interesting sidenote I heard accidentally on the radio a few months ago. I was tuning across the AM dial and heard talk show host Glenn Beck, who lives fairly near Argyle, complaining to his sidekicks about the private school which refused admission to one of his children. Turned out it was Liberty Christian. I think the excuse was that a Mormon would not be comfortable in the Liberty Christian environment.

But that illustrates the huge difference between private and public schools. As Coach Traylor used to say, "We have to take everybody." It's also why not all private schools are on board with Dan Patrick's voucher scheme even though they'd make a lot of money off it.

If Gilmer had the same rule, we would be 3a, Div 2

d0tc0m
09-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Were you at the Melissa/LC game?

d0tc0m
09-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Celina 9
Liberty Christian 10
FINAL

Celina's best offensive weapon played only a handful of snaps then sat out the rest of the game. Our good tight end was out as well. Not having those two made a huge difference. I was really impressed with LC's defensive line. They are big, strong, fast, disciplined and they wrecked us all night long. Same story for LC's offensive line. Big, strong and fast. Celina's defensive played very, very well. Well enough to win on any other night, and I'm proud of the adjustments we made on that side of the ball. But the offense was aenemic, to say the least. LC is a very good team, and they've got some good looking athletes on both sides of the ball. Neither team played that great, though, and neither team really 'deserved' to win. To be honest, there's probably going to be a come-to-Jesus meeting after this loss.

Gotta let this loss hurt for a weekend, then use it, learn from it, regroup, get better and get prepared for next week, when what is probably the No. 1 or 2 team in all of 4A comes to Bobcat Stadium.

orange machine
09-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Celina 9
Liberty Christian 10
FINAL

Celina's best offensive weapon played only a handful of snaps then sat out the rest of the game. Our good tight end was out as well. Not having those two made a huge difference. I was really impressed with LC's defensive line. They are big, strong, fast, disciplined and they wrecked us all night long. Same story for LC's offensive line. Big, strong and fast. Celina's defensive played very, very well. Well enough to win on any other night, and I'm proud of the adjustments we made on that side of the ball. But the offense was aenemic, to say the least. LC is a very good team, and they've got some good looking athletes on both sides of the ball. Neither team played that great, though, and neither team really 'deserved' to win. To be honest, there's probably going to be a come-to-Jesus meeting after this loss.

Gotta let this loss hurt for a weekend, then use it, learn from it, regroup, get better and get prepared for next week, when what is probably the No. 1 or 2 team in all of 4A comes to Bobcat Stadium.

Celina needed this win before facing the Argyle Eagles. This is the best team Argyle has had.

Celina8
09-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Looks like this was a defensive game with several turnovers . Looks like the running game for Celina was no where to be found and does not bode well for next weeks game with Argyle. LC does have some talent but with the continue growth in the Celina area and growth in the program we should be able to beat Liberty Christian and actually with the prospects of us moving up to 5A soon we actually should be scheduling larger programs as we transition up. I hope we are able to stay on the field next week against Argyle as they seem to be hitting on all cylinders, it will be up to our defense to give us a chance for victory as I do think we have a good group on defense especially at stopping the run.

d0tc0m
09-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Celina needed this win before facing the Argyle Eagles. This is the best team Argyle has had.

I don't know that a win would've done much to get us ready for Argyle. But a loss certainly exposes some things that have to be addressed. LC is a good team, don't get me wrong, but that's a game I would expect a polished Celina team to win by three scores.

Honestly, as of right now, Argyle could name their score against us next week. I know Carthage is supposed to have the dream team this year, but I'm not convinced Argyle isn't No. 1 in the state in 4A. They appear otherworldly talented on both sides of the ball. The Eagles will be far and away the best team Celina plays all year long. They'll be a matchup nightmare for us. But, I suspect it will give our guys a great opportunity to rise to the occasion, compete against a truly elite team, and hopefully come out healthy and with a realization of what we need to do to get back on top.