PDA

View Full Version : Final Score-Cameron 40, Bellville 14

Scoop27
09-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Yoemen dominated

Yoe_09
09-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Yes, and we ran for over 250 yards! There was a big emphasis on improving the ground game this offseason, and in this one it payed off. Biggest reason is the improvement in the offensive line. Still plenty to work on, but a positive start.

Old QB
09-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Yes, and we ran for over 250 yards! There was a big emphasis on improving the ground game this offseason, and in this one it payed off. Biggest reason is the improvement in the offensive line. Still plenty to work on, but a positive start.

I was not at the game. Can someone give an overall assessment of Bellville's performance?

OLE'BULL
09-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I was not at the game. Can someone give an overall assessment of Bellville's performance?

I wasn't there but listened on the radio and talked with a good friend of mine who is VERY well versed on Brahma football each year.

Offense- We were absolutely devastated by graduation. Maybe 1 returning starter is back on that side of the ball. We had made some changes to our scheme in the spring up until about June. I mentioned him on here before, Cody Jackson, was an incoming freshman that was already slated to be QB 1. He has been the most impressive kid I have ever watched each year. I know football, is not exaggerating, he is a super star and would have been the most high profile recruit from Bellville EVER. He "transferred" to Richmond-Foster at the last minute and we found out around June. He got offered by Baylor in late July if that helps to solidify his talent. Marcus Ward does a fine job but was focusing on Defense all Spring. He has experience but has some limitations and didn't protect the ball well against Cameron. He doesn't always make the best decisions under pressure. TJ Nunn is the bell cow this year and played pretty darn well Saturday. We rushed for a hair over 200 yards (terrible for our style) and he was the bulk of that. That said, Mac Briscoe graduating really really really hurt is so Nunn has massive shoes to fill. We have another stud freshman who carries the ball some and will be great if he keeps his head on straight and ANOTHER stud freshman who starts and is already very good, Travon Green. Really great. He had a catch Saturday too but we only passed for 21 yards. Our O Line is 100% inexperienced, no starters back and the huge loss of Ben Carmean to graduation is another unfillable pair of shoes. He was voted District MVP if that helps to understand how valuable he was at Guard for us. Yes the District MVP was a Guard. Same District with our all everything back, 2500 yard rusher Mac Brisco. Offensively we will be just fine by the time District roles around, we always are. Just have to break all the pups in and get em experienced. We have a few that will be damn good so I'm not concerned yet. There were some growing pains there Saturday according to my friend, they were the obvious weak link versus Cameron.

Defense- Our defense was ravaged by injuries not graduation. Not sure who all was out but the biggest loss on our disabled list was middle linebacker Kevin Black. He came down with food poisoning that turned into something much more serious (mono I believe) over the summer at Young Life camp and his body has still not recovered. He lost like 30 pounds and still hasn't regained his strength and stamina. The bright spot of our D is the D line. Grayson Mayes is a sophomore end who started as a frosh last year. He is tall and put on about 30 pounds and will be an extremely good football player in the coming years. He is a good kid with a motor that doesn't quit. Ironically he is also the back up QB. We also have a preseason District Defensive MVP at tackle. I can't remember if his last name is Ortiz or Alaniz, but he is a stud. Our secondary had 3 returning starters but one is now having to play QB (Marcus Ward). Stone Rowe (head coaches son) has turned in to a solid corner with great speed and football smarts that all coaches kids have. He won't come up and knock your head off but is always around the ball and in the mix.

Let's not forget how good Cameron is. They are the best, or close to it, team in 3A. We missed a day of practice with Harvey and then had to take a 2 hour bus trip for an 11:00 kickoff in Cameron on a damn Saturday. Not going to make excuses, Cameron is the better team no doubt. But we literally had EVERYTHING going against us with the storm, graduation, injuries, and the QB transfer issue. We will probably never go undefeated in the regular season and it's common for us to have 2-3 losses going into the playoffs. We don't ever have a cushy pre-District schedule, not a lot of teams want to play us. Rowe ALWAYS finds the right guys for the right positions and ALWAYS finds a way to win when it counts. We are picked to win the District and I don't believe the Cameron game changes that. The Brahmas will be in the playoffs like we are every year and will go a few rounds deep. I'm not thinking this is our year to go win a state title but I sure wouldn't mind if we did! In the coming years we will be VERY good. We have slot of freshman and sophomores starting and those to classes have all kinds of talent that is not yet ready for the varsity squad. The freshman class has never lost a game/meet in basketball, football, track, etc. A lot of that was due to the stud who transferred but they have some talented athletes coming up. Put this behind us and move on to the next! Go Brahmas!

Old QB
09-08-2017, 02:12 PM
I wasn't there but listened on the radio and talked with a good friend of mine who is VERY well versed on Brahma football each year.

Offense- We were absolutely devastated by graduation. Maybe 1 returning starter is back on that side of the ball. We had made some changes to our scheme in the spring up until about June. I mentioned him on here before, Cody Jackson, was an incoming freshman that was already slated to be QB 1. He has been the most impressive kid I have ever watched each year. I know football, is not exaggerating, he is a super star and would have been the most high profile recruit from Bellville EVER. He "transferred" to Richmond-Foster at the last minute and we found out around June. He got offered by Baylor in late July if that helps to solidify his talent. Marcus Ward does a fine job but was focusing on Defense all Spring. He has experience but has some limitations and didn't protect the ball well against Cameron. He doesn't always make the best decisions under pressure. TJ Nunn is the bell cow this year and played pretty darn well Saturday. We rushed for a hair over 200 yards (terrible for our style) and he was the bulk of that. That said, Mac Briscoe graduating really really really hurt is so Nunn has massive shoes to fill. We have another stud freshman who carries the ball some and will be great if he keeps his head on straight and ANOTHER stud freshman who starts and is already very good, Travon Green. Really great. He had a catch Saturday too but we only passed for 21 yards. Our O Line is 100% inexperienced, no starters back and the huge loss of Ben Carmean to graduation is another unfillable pair of shoes. He was voted District MVP if that helps to understand how valuable he was at Guard for us. Yes the District MVP was a Guard. Same District with our all everything back, 2500 yard rusher Mac Brisco. Offensively we will be just fine by the time District roles around, we always are. Just have to break all the pups in and get em experienced. We have a few that will be damn good so I'm not concerned yet. There were some growing pains there Saturday according to my friend, they were the obvious weak link versus Cameron.

Defense- Our defense was ravaged by injuries not graduation. Not sure who all was out but the biggest loss on our disabled list was middle linebacker Kevin Black. He came down with food poisoning that turned into something much more serious (mono I believe) over the summer at Young Life camp and his body has still not recovered. He lost like 30 pounds and still hasn't regained his strength and stamina. The bright spot of our D is the D line. Grayson Mayes is a sophomore end who started as a frosh last year. He is tall and put on about 30 pounds and will be an extremely good football player in the coming years. He is a good kid with a motor that doesn't quit. Ironically he is also the back up QB. We also have a preseason District Defensive MVP at tackle. I can't remember if his last name is Ortiz or Alaniz, but he is a stud. Our secondary had 3 returning starters but one is now having to play QB (Marcus Ward). Stone Rowe (head coaches son) has turned in to a solid corner with great speed and football smarts that all coaches kids have. He won't come up and knock your head off but is always around the ball and in the mix.

Let's not forget how good Cameron is. They are the best, or close to it, team in 3A. We missed a day of practice with Harvey and then had to take a 2 hour bus trip for an 11:00 kickoff in Cameron on a damn Saturday. Not going to make excuses, Cameron is the better team no doubt. But we literally had EVERYTHING going against us with the storm, graduation, injuries, and the QB transfer issue. We will probably never go undefeated in the regular season and it's common for us to have 2-3 losses going into the playoffs. We don't ever have a cushy pre-District schedule, not a lot of teams want to play us. Rowe ALWAYS finds the right guys for the right positions and ALWAYS finds a way to win when it counts. We are picked to win the District and I don't believe the Cameron game changes that. The Brahmas will be in the playoffs like we are every year and will go a few rounds deep. I'm not thinking this is our year to go win a state title but I sure wouldn't mind if we did! In the coming years we will be VERY good. We have slot of freshman and sophomores starting and those to classes have all kinds of talent that is not yet ready for the varsity squad. The freshman class has never lost a game/meet in basketball, football, track, etc. A lot of that was due to the stud who transferred but they have some talented athletes coming up. Put this behind us and move on to the next! Go Brahmas!

Thank you for the update.