PDA

View Full Version : Splendora

ProudMama
08-18-2003, 10:54 PM
What about this year's team. How good are they and what do they run? Anybody got any info?

RBARKER
08-19-2003, 07:37 AM
ProudMama, I don't think there are any Splendora folks here on this board. Splendora will be pretty good this year but unfortunatly they are in a tough district and will struggle to reach 4th place. If the football gods are good to them they could get a play off spot. Only time will tell. The top three teams for there district will probally be Barbers Hill,Liberty & Coldsprings with Splendora and Cleveland fighting for a spot in the top three. Good Luck to Splendora wink

trojandad
08-19-2003, 09:39 AM
RBarker, I agree with you about Splendora's shot. I know of a couple of people there that watch the board but just won't chime in. They're good people there.

Question though. You talked about being a strong district. I do agree that there will be a lot of strong physical lines in the district, but do you see this year's district play a little down in the beginning, with all your guy's losses to graduation, our graduates, Liberty losing their all stater, Splendora losing their running back of two years (Burton)? The only team that kept specialty people seems to be Cleveland and their specialty people only got them a 4-6 season.

I think by season's end everybody will be experienced to go in the playoffs and it seems to me that we are definitely going to be a physical district with all the 300 lbers here but do you think we are gonna be a dominating district in the beginning? I kinda see the same in Jasper's district, too. What do you think?

RBARKER
08-19-2003, 10:33 AM
trojandad, I should re phrase, Our district is not a strong one compared to some of the other districts in the state but it will be very competitive. I know that there were a lot lost to graduation but my Eagles should be strong returning 3/7 the offense make look weaker on paper than it might seem. the RB this year has an agressive running style that I think will work better with the BH offensive scheme. The QB this year will be a Soph. but I beleive he is one of the better athelets that have passed through BH in along time. There will be some mistakes early but this kid has some leadership skills and will end up taking BH far before he graduates. BH also has a 10-0 JV that will help support.

As for Liberty they return 6/6 which includes three 3 year starters on defense and a returning QB that was voted Soph of the year last year. Liberty will need some disapline but they will do well.

Cold Springs has speed to burn in the backfield as you well know and once the O line developes and the New coach startes leveling out the team they have all the potential in the world.

Splendora and Cleveland IMHO it will be hard for them to make the playoffs but there is always the chance of an upset win. the top three have to stay healthy and the Weather can always turn a for sure win into a nail bitter.

I might be dead wrong but I believe that this years 22-3A will be better than the last. I hope it is so that our teams will be prepared come play off time.

JasperDog94
08-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Trojandad,

With Jasper losing so much talent this last year, the district may be a little more competitive this year. Only time will tell. Newton is bringing back several starters as well as Kirbyville. Kirbyville gave Jasper all they could handle last year. I think some of that was looking forward to the Newton game, but maybe Kirbyville was stronger than I gave them credit for last year. Jasper has always had good athletes: big, strong, and especially fast. I look forward to seeing how they do this year.

trojandad
08-19-2003, 03:28 PM
You know, 94, I said the same thing about Kirbyville when they played Jasper but I was put off about it. I just thought Jasper had the men last year. I don't know if Kirbyville returned their big people from last year. What concerns me is all I hear about how they (UIL) are looking to add schools to 4A next year and I just see Jasper loosing out on this opportunity to win at 3A before they get moved back up.

lbc05
08-19-2003, 09:33 PM
liberty scrimages kirbyville on fri. 7:00 should be a good one... both teams have a strong nucleus coming back .. last year liberty caught kirbyville before they got hot and handled them well in the scrimage.. should be a good one friday though....

JasperDog94
08-20-2003, 10:13 AM
I haven't heard anything about wanting to add to 4A. I hope that's not the case.

Old Cardinal
08-20-2003, 02:21 PM
nm

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
08-20-2003, 02:25 PM
lbc05: Where will the Lib./Kirbyville scrimmage be held Friday?

trojandad
08-20-2003, 02:37 PM
I like your assessment RBarker. If Liberty had a real break away threat in their backfirld, a real speed burner, I think they'd be a really tough team to beat, possibly even a ranked team, they've always been a physical one.

One thing that you guys did well last year (talking about BH) is that your coaching staff made much better half time adjustments than the other teams in the area. Your group did a much better job scouting than most in our district. In fact, I saw BH people at each of our games last year and I know we didn't send scouts to all of your games. When our varsity and JV played you guys last year, it was within a TD until the 2nd half and your adjustments did the trick.

Our staff last year didn't adjust as well as yours did, the sign of a solid preparation and good program. It was our sign all year of not adjusting, we lost a 3 TD lead to Diboll, 2TD lead to Splendora, 3 TD lead to Hardin in the playoffs, it got to be monotonous. I admired your coaches adjustments to us in the 2nd half to open up a big lead, they utilized our DE weakness very well.

You guys, I remember, were close in score to us, Liberty and Splendora last year at the halves only to pull away in the 2nd. A lot to be said about coachability there.

lbc05
08-20-2003, 07:49 PM
the liberty kibyville scrimage will be in liberty at 7:00