PDA

View Full Version : The 15 Best TXHSFB Playoff Games I've Seen

Matthew328
08-28-2017, 07:59 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/stepps-top-15-txhsfb-playoff-games/

Rabid Cougar
08-28-2017, 08:22 PM
1. China Spring -LaVega 2007 3 A Regional Final 31-28 Floyd Casey Stadium

2. China Spring - Celina 2007 3 A State Championship game 14- 21 Texas Stadium.

All the rest haven't come close.

WOS87
08-28-2017, 08:40 PM
1. WO-S vs Calallen 2000 Semis
2. WO-S vs Houston Yates 1985 Regionals
3. WO-S vs LaMarque 1995 Regionals

And before you call me a homer we lost two of those games

coach
08-29-2017, 07:20 AM
Why is it closed?

Fairfield vs. Argyle 2013 State Championship game

Lewisville vs. Converse Judson 1993 State Championship Game

Farmersville vs. Tatum 2007 State Championship Game

Robinson vs La Vega@ Flotd Casey (can't remember the year)

Nacogdoches vs. Jacksonville 2010 12 overtimes. (Coached that game)

Brownwood vs. Carthage semi final game in Dallas. First year the wood went to 3a and Jaxon Shipley took over this board.

Fairfield vs. Rusk 2002. Goalline stand against a stud running baclk at Rusk. Can't remeber his name. Something Cody and went on to play at Nebraska.

Fairfield vs. Bellville 2002 3rd round. Lost 9-6. Fairfield should have won that damn game.

d0tc0m
08-29-2017, 08:01 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Some of mine:

1. Celina vs Mart - 2000 2A DII state title game. Best state championship game I've ever seen. Celina's Adam Herrin (QB) and RB Adam Harvey (the 2001 Offensive POY) vs Mart's Quan Cosby, who is still the most athletic, fastest player I've ever seen in person. Ever. Celina managed to tame Cosby, although he broke a few long runs, and nearly broke a long one near the end of the game that would've won it for the Panthers. He also broke through the line and nearly blocked a Herrin punt that would've most certainly given Mart a chance at the win.

2. Celina vs China Spring - 2007 3A DII state title game. Hell of a game between two incredibly talented, senior-led teams. Hard-hitting. Exciting plays. Just one of those instant classics with great replay ability.

3. SLC vs Trinity - 2006 playoffs. I'll defer to Matt's description on this one, as it's as good as I could tell it.

4. Celina vs Gainesville - 2002 district 9-3A title game. This one was my sophomore year. Our state-record streak was on the line. We were in our first year in 3A as the smallest school. Gainesville was crazy athletic - though not as athletic as they were the following year. We were huge underdogs and for good reason. It turned out to be a huge defensive battle. We took a lead late in the fourth, then pinned Gainesville at their own 1-yard line. But then LJ Searcy, who was the fastest player on the field, broke loose on about a 98-yard run. Ross Roby, our free safety, missed a wide-open tackle, then made one of the craziest plays I've ever seen. With about 11-12 yards to make up on the fastest player on the field, he somehow caught Searcy from behind, made a diving superman horse-collar tackle - now illegal - at the 1-yard line. The next play, we stuffed Gainesville and forced a fumble and recovered it. We then marched down the field on a clock-killing scoring drive to seal the deal. Our little 2,500-seat stadium somehow stuffed around 10,000 people in, and it was one of the loudest, most electric environments I've ever experienced.

5. Celina vs Liberty Hill - 2006 3A DII state title game. The one that got away. Hell of a slobberknocker game. Still hard to talk about around Celina.

6. Gilmer vs Cuero - 2009 3A DI state semifinals. Unreal game. Stump's run. Don't get to see many games like that in person.

7. Celina vs Garrison - 2001 2A DII state title game. This was my freshman year. Garrison was crazy fast and talented. We were no slouches, and we were going for our fourth title in a row. This one went back and forth. I'll never forget our RB Adam Harvey (the Offensive POY) just completely gassed at the game's end. But he kept looking to the sideline on our would-be game-winning drive and pounding his chest, telling the coaches he wanted the ball. He then begged to play on the kickoff and on defense.

8. Celina vs Stinnett West-Texas - 1995 2A semifinals. An unbelievably cold game up in Vernon between two hard-nosed, old-school football teams. A ton of fun. Celina won this one late and went on to beat Alto the following week for the school's second state title, and really the one that sparked the dynasty that turned the Bobcats into THE BOBCATS.

9. Highland Park vs Stephenville - 2005 4A state semifinals. This is the one Matt wrote about already. I had come in from Texas A&M to watch Celina beat on Crawford (which was good to see after they had knocked us off my senior year). My dad convinced me to stay the night and not go back to College Station so that we could go see this game the following day. Glad I stayed. This one probably deserves to be ranked higher, but I just can't put it above any of my Celina memories, and the other non-Celina games were just way too good.

10. (Just to make it an even top 10) Celina vs Gilmer - 2015 3A DII state semifinals. A very good barnburner that really didn't tell the story of how well the two defenses played. It was the Bobcats' lone win against the Buckeyes (3-1 in the series), though we'd sure love to move closer to .500 against them this December.

I could keep going and going, as I've been fortunate enough to see a ton of really good games over the years. And if I thought about it too long, I'd rearrange all of these games, I'm sure. I'll leave it at this.

Bosqueville
08-29-2017, 08:26 AM
I won't give you 15 but..

Early 90's #1 Southlake Carroll vs #2 Vernon Lions. This game was ranked the #2 all time Texas high school football games by the Dallas Morning News. SLC scores with about a minute left in the game. Vernon got the ball back and drove down to the 1 yard line. The RB broke one tackle when the clock ran out and looked to score and he fumbled the ball as he was stretching it out and SLC recovered it in their own end zone for the win. Over 14,000 at Pennington Field and people were being pulled up and over the rock wall and were 10 rows deep in the end zone.

1996 double OT Brownwood/Stephenville. one of the wildest games I've ever attended and when the Bwd running back went in the end zone for the win, the Bwd fans went absolutely insane.

1998 Brownwood/Stephenville-Ville ranked #1 Bwd #5 and I believe most think this team was the most talented of the 90's era for the Ville. Back and forth game with 12,000 squeezed into memorial stadium in Stephenville. Bwd wins 40-35. You can watch this game on YouTube.

China Spring vs La Vega 2007. CS upsets La Vega in the Regional Final on a QB run with under 2 minutes left.

Saggy Aggie
08-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Columbia and Chapel Hill Round 2..... 2011 Semifinals? 21-16 Chapel Hill. They scored the winning TD with 8 seconds left.

That one still hurts.

coach
08-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Rusk and Gilmer had a good game at SFA about 10 years ago.

Oh and that Rusk running back I mentioned earlier was Cody Glenn. Name just came to me.

d0tc0m
08-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Oh and that Rusk running back I mentioned earlier was Cody Glenn. Name just came to me.

Good ol' Cody Glenn. He was a RB then switched to LB at Nebraska, I think.

I can't recall which Gilmer/Rusk game you're thinking of. I don't see that they've played each other since 1991.

coach
08-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Good ol' Cody Glenn. He was a RB then switched to LB at Nebraska, I think.

I can't recall which Gilmer/Rusk game you're thinking of. I don't see that they've played each other since 1991.

Or was it Gilmer Madisonville?

d0tc0m
08-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Or was it Gilmer Madisonville?

From a decade ago? It was probably Mabank (35-28), or maybe Dallas Roosevelt (42-36)?

But their 2007 playoff run was very un-Gilmer like, in that every single game was close, except for the donkey stomping LH put on them in the title game.

coach
08-29-2017, 10:25 AM
From a decade ago? It was probably Mabank (35-28), or maybe Dallas Roosevelt (42-36)?

But their 2007 playoff run was very un-Gilmer like, in that every single game was close, except for the donkey stomping LH put on them in the title game.

I remeber what it was. It was Rusk and Madisonville lol. There was a score literally every play. One of the Whaley brothers was running all over the place.

Gilmer did play at SFA one year but I can't remember who they played.

coach
08-29-2017, 10:32 AM
I remeber what it was. It was Rusk and Madisonville lol. There was a score literally every play. One of the Whaley brothers was running all over the place.

Pretty sure they played Carthage in 2008 or 2009.

d0tc0m
08-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Aaahhh! Yep, that one was a dandy. Didn't see it in person, but remember reading about it. Didn't Rusk come back from a huge halftime deficit? Went into OT or double-OT or something too, I think.

That's probably the best team Rusk has had in the past decade or so. Lost to a good La Vega team that went on to lose to a really good Giddings team, which went on to lose to an OK Liberty Hill team :) ... That was a stacked Region III that year.

d0tc0m
08-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Pretty sure they played Carthage in 2008 or 2009.

Yep. Carthage 2008 Region III finals. A dandy of a game, as well. Carthage just barely edged the ol' Buckeyes out in that one. Of all the great teams Carthage has had in the past decade, the 2008 squad was the best I've ever seen. Dwight Smith was a beast of a RB. I don't even think this kid they have now, Ingram, is as good as Smith was. Carthage folks may say otherwise, though.

coach
08-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Aaahhh! Yep, that one was a dandy. Didn't see it in person, but remember reading about it. Didn't Rusk come back from a huge halftime deficit? Went into OT or double-OT or something too, I think.

That's probably the best team Rusk has had in the past decade or so. Lost to a good La Vega team that went on to lose to a really good Giddings team, which went on to lose to an OK Liberty Hill team :) ... That was a stacked Region III that year.

Yes. It was the same day as Michigan VS. Ohio State when they were ranked 1 and 2. It was a great game and Ohio State ended up winnning but I missed it bc of a better game between Rusk and Madisonville. I bet there was 1000 yards of offense for both teams. It was nuts.

Saggy Aggie
08-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Gilmer and Cuero at SMU was an instant classic.

Celina8
08-30-2017, 09:18 AM
As one of the older gentleman on this board I can think back to so many great games in the late 60's and through out the 70's some I attended some I listened on the radio, but I mentioned two that come to mind 2004 Gilmer vs Jasper State Championship 49-47 (listened to the game on the radio came down to a goal line stance by the Gilmer defense on a two point conversion that would have tied the game. The other was 1995 Celina vs Alto 2A State Championship I think there was five lead changes in that game. I also will mention Celina vs McGregor in 1987 Quarterfinal at HEB Stadium in Euless. Still one of my all time favorite games. Yes I am a homer!

BwdLions
08-30-2017, 10:08 AM
1998 Brownwood/Stephenville-Ville ranked #1 Bwd #5 and I believe most think this team was the most talented of the 90's era for the Ville. Back and forth game with 12,000 squeezed into memorial stadium in Stephenville. Bwd wins 40-35. You can watch this game on YouTube.

Lions' QB Colby Freeman had a great night running the ball that night. That was a very entertaining game.

panther89
08-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Mine had to be the Malakoff-Cameron Yoe game just last year. Cold rain, overtime game. Malakoff kicked a field goal to win it in OT after stopping Yoe in their part of OT.

panther89
08-30-2017, 10:32 AM

That Gilmer-Mabank game was great too. Pouring down rain all game, cold day in Nacogdoches. My cousin played WR for Mabank in that game. Great game, except for the Panther loss.

d0tc0m
08-30-2017, 10:46 AM
As one of the older gentleman on this board I can think back to so many great games in the late 60's and through out the 70's some I attended some I listened on the radio, but I mentioned two that come to mind 2004 Gilmer vs Jasper State Championship 49-47 (listened to the game on the radio came down to a goal line stance by the Gilmer defense on a two point conversion that would have tied the game. The other was 1995 Celina vs Alto 2A State Championship I think there was five lead changes in that game. I also will mention Celina vs McGregor in 1987 Quarterfinal at HEB Stadium in Euless. Still one of my all time favorite games. Yes I am a homer!

Celina vs Alto for the 2A title in 1995 was a great, hard-hitting game! I was just a young boy, but I'll never forget watching Alto's QB, Brian Gamble, slam his helmet down on the turf at Cowboy stadium after Celina won, and everything on the helmet broke and went all over the place in every direction, and I remembered thinking, 'Wow, that guy is so strong to break a helmet, and we somehow beat him.' Funny what perspective you have as a child.

I think Fred Hackney was the stud WR at Alto in '95, too. The Yellow Jackets were freaking loaded. But the Bobcats were on their way to becoming THE Bobcats.

Dawgs
08-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Yep. Carthage 2008 Region III finals. A dandy of a game, as well. Carthage just barely edged the ol' Buckeyes out in that one. Of all the great teams Carthage has had in the past decade, the 2008 squad was the best I've ever seen. Dwight Smith was a beast of a RB. I don't even think this kid they have now, Ingram, is as good as Smith was. Carthage folks may say otherwise, though.

It's close on Smith or Ingram. But if you think 2008 was good wait until you see 2017.

Dawgs
08-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Gilmer vs Gladewater 2014
Carthage vs Brownwood 2010
Argyle vs Fairfield 2013
Carthage vs Navasota 2015
Carthage vs Gilmer 2008
Gilmer vs Kilgore 2013
Carthage vs Henderson 2 2016

Just some of the great games I have seen since 2008.

d0tc0m
08-30-2017, 08:09 PM
It's close on Smith or Ingram. But if you think 2008 was good wait until you see 2017.

If they're that good, then I truly can't wait to see!

buckeyebob
08-30-2017, 08:37 PM

Perhaps 2004 State Championship against Jasper @ SFA, 2004, 49-47...they are still mad

AggiesAreWe
08-30-2017, 09:08 PM
1998 Bi-District

Silsbee 21
WO-S 20

Silsbee undefeated against WO-S in playoffs. ;)

(for you WOS87)

Tejastrue
08-30-2017, 09:10 PM
FSSW had a few replays on last night. Watched the Ennis / Cedar Park 2014 and the Argyle / Navasota 2014 games. Ran a little late. Paying for it today.

coach
08-31-2017, 07:06 AM
FSSW had a few replays on last night. Watched the Ennis / Cedar Park 2014 and the Argyle / Navasota 2014 games. Ran a little late. Paying for it today.

Fairfield/Argyle 2013 was on the night before. I cried myself to sleep.

BwdLions
08-31-2017, 09:43 AM
One of the best playoff games I've ever watched was a semi-final game in Texas Stadium in 2000. Ennis came back to beat #1 Wichita Fallls 23-20 on a last second pass from Harrell to an Ennis player in the end zone. My old friend Sam Harrell was the coach at that time.