PDA

View Full Version : A different prospective on France

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 09:31 AM
I found this an interesting article...it kinda made me take a step back for a minute and think...

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/6062333.htm

Jacket2000
06-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Any piece of paper with writting by Bob Ray Sanders on it should be used for a "different" purpose other than reading.
J2K

PPHSfan
06-11-2003, 11:56 AM
proˇspecˇtive [ pr spéktiv ]
adjective

1. likely to be something: expected or hoping to do or become something his prospective mother-in-law

2. likely to happen: likely or expected to happen prospective changes

proˇspecˇtiveˇly adverb

Sorry Matthew :D

Did you mean perspective

sinton66
06-11-2003, 12:00 PM
I agree we shouldn't target French-Americans, but some of them need to decide who they are loyal to.
Pride in one's ancestry is a fine thing, but it doesn't mean you have to agree with the home-country's politics. France was trying to hide the things they were doing behind our backs, plain and simple. The writer seems to confuse a voluntary boycott with bigotry. In my book, anyone who plays the race card like that is an imbecile.

Jacket2000
06-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Sin66, this idiot INVENTED the race card. You should see the other garbage that he writes. Even semiliberal people that I know cant stand to read him.
J2K

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 03:37 PM
I typically don't agree with a whole lot Mr. Sanders has to say either..I just thought the article gave an interesting look at how someone of French decent who obviously is a loyal American feels about all the France bashing that has been going on...I kinda felt bad for the woman...

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 03:39 PM
PPHSfan:
proˇspecˇtive [ pr spéktiv ]
adjective

1. likely to be something: expected or hoping to do or become something his prospective mother-in-law

2. likely to happen: likely or expected to happen prospective changes

proˇspecˇtiveˇly adverb

Sorry Matthew :D

Did you mean perspectiveYeah you got me PPHS..LOL Hey I was in a rush...I had to go take a TASP test that I was already exempt from! But to be enrolled in the School of Education here at good ole UT-Arlington you MUST take the TASP regardless of SAT or ACT score!! I think that really sucks!

fwisd
06-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Ya know, guys - the US has always prided itself ont he fact that its inhabitants were free ... free to make their own choices ... free to have their own opinions ... etc. etc. That was what this country was founded upon and it bothers me to see our society becoming so intolerant of those freedoms. In no way do I hold all French people responsible for their home country's decisions - just like the US decisions are not agreed upon by 100% of our people. And, that's okay - wouldn't this bee a terribly boring world if we all looked alike ... thought alike ... talked alike ... ugh ... how homogenized! But, hey - I respect you guys opinion and am secure enough in mine that I don't feel that you are necessarily wrong because we don't agree. That's the beauty of freedom and living in a country where we are free to live where we choose ... hold down the job we choose ... worship where we choose, etc. etc. And, just for the record ... I always read Bob Ray Sanders - he's one of my favorites! (Before I taught school and before I was a stay-at-home mom ...I was a journalist!)

sinton66
06-11-2003, 05:37 PM
fwisd, I respect your opinion, and I agree all are free to think what they want. The French people are responsible for their nation's politics as we are for ours. We may not cause or even agree with our nation's actions, but we ultimately have to pay the price for it. The French nation has long claimed to be our friend and ally, but consistantly stick it to us when our backs are turned. Ordinarily, I wouldn't give a hoot what anyone in France thinks or says, but when we have soldiers in harm's way solely to protect ourselves and the free world and they stab us in the back, I'm gonna get a little angry about it. HERE'S the kicker. If I, as an individual, make the conscious choice to no longer buy French products, that is MY right. The bottom line here, this has NOTHING to do with the French race, and therefore NOTHING to do with bigotry as this author claims. Sure some people are more rude than others on this subject, but that's just human nature. That doesn't make them a bigot.

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Okay, let's exercise that freedom of speech thing that was mentioned above with a little bit of Slpybear's famous scattershooting on these topics...

#1 - BOB RAY SANDERS LOVES TO PLAY THE RACE CARD TO STACK AN ARGUMENT IN HIS FAVOR. Lot's of other people do it also, but Mr. Sanders claims to walk the middle of the line in his writing.

#2 - France's hands are very dirty in Iraq. Very Dirty. Don't just take my word for it, go and do the research yourself. You will find that Chirac was in charge of the nuclear program that sold the Osirak Reactor to Iraq, (the one that almost became a nuclear bomb plant). France was the number one importer to Iraq prior to Gulf War II. France also had premium contracts for Iraq's newly rebuilt defense program. They were second however, in the $$$ of oil production contracts. Second to RUSSIA, who had the majority. And then they both cry foul that after an American-Led war we will win the contracts for oil production. Hmmm...

Some ALLIES France and Russia claim to be...

#3 and while we are on it, France's and most of Europe's arrogant attitude towards our nation is very tiresome. It reminds me of jealous kids making fun of the kids who were better than them...

#4 Freedom of Speech does not mean I am required to agree with you. If I think something is wrong, stupid, etc, then I CAN give my opinion on that. Example... "Yes, Natalie. We can all begin hating the Dixie Chicks over something you said. That is the way that whole public-eye thing works. If you are worried about public opinion, become an elected politician."

Whew...

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>

sinton66
06-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I will also NEVER forget or forgive France for demanding the United States pay for the upkeep on the 51,000 American graves in their country. These people gave their lives in two World Wars
so that these ingrates could enjoy freedom. They obviously have no sense of shame. But we shouldn't have any hard feelings toward them? They get a seat on the UN Security Council (mainly on our insistance) and they pay us back by violating a UN Ban of weapons sales to Iraq, and we shouldn't take this personally? Poppycock!

I,for one, am very pleased and proud that ordinary Americans are waking up and finding themselves intelligent enough to start voting with their wallets. It's LONG overdue!!

Chris Hart
06-11-2003, 09:06 PM
slpybear the bullfan:
Okay, let's exercise that freedom of speech thing that was mentioned above with a little bit of Slpybear's famous scattershooting on these topics...

#1 - BOB RAY SANDERS LOVES TO PLAY THE RACE CARD TO STACK AN ARGUMENT IN HIS FAVOR. Lot's of other people do it also, but Mr. Sanders claims to walk the middle of the line in his writing.

#2 - France's hands are very dirty in Iraq. Very Dirty. Don't just take my word for it, go and do the research yourself. You will find that Chirac was in charge of the nuclear program that sold the Osirak Reactor to Iraq, (the one that almost became a nuclear bomb plant). France was the number one importer to Iraq prior to Gulf War II. France also had premium contracts for Iraq's newly rebuilt defense program. They were second however, in the $$$ of oil production contracts. Second to RUSSIA, who had the majority. And then they both cry foul that after an American-Led war we will win the contracts for oil production. Hmmm...

Some ALLIES France and Russia claim to be...

#3 and while we are on it, France's and most of Europe's arrogant attitude towards our nation is very tiresome. It reminds me of jealous kids making fun of the kids who were better than them...

#4 Freedom of Speech does not mean I am required to agree with you. If I think something is wrong, stupid, etc, then I CAN give my opinion on that. Example... "Yes, Natalie. We can all begin hating the Dixie Chicks over something you said. That is the way that whole public-eye thing works. If you are worried about public opinion, become an elected politician."

Whew...AMEN!!!!!

sinton66
06-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Mmmmm, End of Rant! :D :D :D

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>