PDA

View Full Version : Pigskin Preps 2017 preseason 4A DII power rankings for all 91 teams

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Again, just for fun.

1 4A - 7 Gilmer
2 4A - 12 West Orange-Stark
3 4A - 15 Cuero
4 4A - 5 Celina
5 4A - 10 Giddings
6 4A - 13 Wimberley
7 4A - 2 Monahans
8 4A - 7 Texarkana
9 4A - 8 Jasper
10 4A - 2 Sweetwater
11 4A - 11 Bellville
12 4A - 2 Seminole
13 4A - 13 Geronimo Navarro
14 4A - 7 Gladewater
15 4A - 12 Liberty
16 4A - 15 Sinton
17 4A - 3 Graham
18 4A - 3 Krum
19 4A - 9 Lorena
20 4A - 4 Glen Rose
21 4A - 5 Melissa
22 4A - 2 Midland Greenwood
23 4A - 16 Rio Hondo
24 4A - 8 Tatum
25 4A - 7 Pittsburg
26 4A - 11 Shepherd
27 4A - 3 Iowa Park
28 4A - 15 Sweeny
29 4A - 9 Salado
30 4A - 15 Wharton
31 4A - 5 Aubrey
32 4A - 12 Hardin-Jefferson
33 4A - 6 Dallas Lincoln
34 4A - 14 Devine
35 4A - 10 La Grange
36 4A - 9 Robinson
37 4A - 7 Atlanta
38 4A - 16 Port Isabel
39 4A - 16 Orange Grove
40 4A - 14 Pearsall
41 4A - 6 Wills Point
42 4A - 14 Crystal City
43 4A - 8 Rusk
44 4A - 1 Perryton
45 4A - 1 Bushland
46 4A - 9 Waco Connally
47 4A - 10 Caldwell
48 4A - 4 Hillsboro
49 4A - 6 Canton
50 4A - 10 Columbus
51 4A - 3 Vernon
52 4A - 4 Godley
53 4A - 2 Pecos
54 4A - 16 Raymondville
55 4A - 6 Emory Rains
56 4A - 12 Orangefield
57 4A - 4 Waxahachie Life
58 4A - 11 Madisonville
59 4A - 10 Gonzales
60 4A - 9 Fairfield
61 4A - 13 Llano
62 4A - 13 Hondo
63 4A - 14 Carrizo Springs
64 4A - 1 Dalhart
65 4A - 5 Nevada Community
66 4A - 9 Mexia
67 4A - 1 Denver City
68 4A - 8 Diboll
69 4A - 14 Poteet
70 4A - 11 Cleveland Tarkington
71 4A - 10 Smithville
72 4A - 3 Bridgeport
73 4A - 5 Bonham
74 4A - 7 Longview Spring Hill
75 4A - 16 Corpus Christi West Oso
76 4A - 12 Hamshire-Fannett
77 4A - 1 Brownfield
78 4A - 4 Venus
79 4A - 2 Fort Stockton
80 4A - 4 Fort Worth Benbrook
81 4A - 6 Ferris
82 4A - 2 Lamesa
83 4A - 5 Caddo Mills
84 4A - 15 Aransas Pass
85 4A - 13 Bandera
86 4A - 15 Ingleside
87 4A - 8 Huntington
88 4A - 6 Dallas Roosevelt
89 4A - 14 Lytle
90 4A - 11 Brookshire Royal
91 4A - 16 Progreso

lostaussie
07-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Red Ants look to be a little down this year!!!

lostaussie
07-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Roosevelt......I remember when they were kicking arse and taking names.

lostaussie
07-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Spring Hill.......lol

d0tc0m
07-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Roosevelt......I remember when they were kicking arse and taking names.

Yeah, that one year. Boy, 2007 sure was a fun year. Hard to believe that's been a decade ago.

lostaussie
07-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that one year. Boy, 2007 sure was a fun year. Hard to believe that's been a decade ago.

No joke. A decade. When you say it like that it makes me feel old.

slingshot
07-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Never forget that quarterifinal game with Gilmer.... what a crazy scene. We were in the Metromess for a youth soccer tournament and several of us decided to run to Mesquite to watch Gilmer vs Roosevelt. Me and two other dads with 3 sons were the only 'pale skinned' people on the Roosevelt side. We could sense it getting out of hand and really feared for our safety. Felt good to get out of that parking lot...

lostaussie
07-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Never forget that quarterifinal game with Gilmer.... what a crazy scene. We were in the Metromess for a youth soccer tournament and several of us decided to run to Mesquite to watch Gilmer vs Roosevelt. Me and two other dads with 3 sons were the only 'pale skinned' people on the Roosevelt side. We could sense it getting out of hand and really feared for our safety. Felt good to get out of that parking lot...

Well I wasn't gonna bring it up, but since you did, yea........that was a mess. We had a coach and a cheerleader get ko'ed. Our coaches did an amazing job of not letting it escalate out of hand. I know I was glad to get my family to the dang truck that night.

Aesculus gilmus
07-17-2017, 04:38 PM
How can Graham be rated that low after winning the touch football championship???

Mexia also seems rather shockingly disrespected. They've got some athletes.

At this point, Gilmer is overrated. There, I said it.

44INAROW
07-17-2017, 04:54 PM
ok, don't laugh - but what do the #'s before the town represent?

lostaussie
07-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Might be district #????

Rabid Cougar
07-17-2017, 05:06 PM

The District.

44INAROW
07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Might be district #????

damn, now I feel like an idiot lol...... I just can't get used to Cuero being 15... we were 26/27 forever....... the 15 (even though it was last year too) just didn't click on me...... carry on guys.......

Tejastrue
07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
DCTFs' preseason rankings?

briandumith*
07-17-2017, 06:01 PM
How can Graham be rated that low after winning the touch football championship???

Mexia also seems rather shockingly disrespected. They've got some athletes.

At this point, Gilmer is overrated. There, I said it.
Graham does not deserve to be ranked any higher. We have done nothing in two seasons.. This season will be different however. ;) Did that satisfy your sarcasm.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Aesculus gilmus
07-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Graham does not deserve to be ranked any higher. We have done nothing in two seasons.. This season will be different however. ;) Did that satisfy your sarcasm.

It wasn't sarcasm on my part. I just like calling it "touch football." You should be proud of your team and I'm sure you are. No one's been able to tackle them so far. (Okay, that's one of the rules, but still.) I actually do think Graham is underrated.

briandumith*
07-17-2017, 07:14 PM
It wasn't sarcasm on my part. I just like calling it "touch football." You should be proud of your team and I'm sure you are. No one's been able to tackle them so far. (Okay, that's one of the rules, but still.) I actually do think Graham is underrated.
Good thanks... I am overwhelmingly proud... IMO we will be a real buzzsaw in D2. Teams won't know what hit them. Shhh you didn't here that from me...lol

d0tc0m
07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Good thanks... I am overwhelmingly proud... IMO we will be a real buzzsaw in D2. Teams won't know what hit them. Shhh you didn't here that from me...lol

Region I needs Graham to be good again. This would be a good year to get good, too, because that region is more open than it has been the past three seasons.

briandumith*
07-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Region I needs Graham to be good again. This would be a good year to get good, too, because that region is more open than it has been the past three seasons.
I think that IMO we will be at the very least, the class of Region 1.. We have 7/7 returning starters and at least 2 D1 level players. An Olympic level weight lifter at one of the LB spots. The JV players coming up were undefeated in district. I feel better about this squad then I have since 2014...

Red Carpet
07-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Wow.....that district must have been VERY week at the JV level. From what I remember, not much help coming up from those ranks. The Varsity crew however, looks primed for a deep run! Good luck steers

d0tc0m
07-18-2017, 07:05 AM
I think that IMO we will be at the very least, the class of Region 1.. We have 7/7 returning starters and at least 2 D1 level players. An Olympic level weight lifter at one of the LB spots. The JV players coming up were undefeated in district. I feel better about this squad then I have since 2014...

I agree. Graham showed moments last year, but the Steers just never could put it all together. I think this is their year to get back on top of Region I. Sweetwater, obviously, will have some say in that. I know they lost their coach, but I don't suspect they'll stop winning all of a sudden. Apart from them, Monahans, I suppose, could challenge come playoff time, but I don't know enough about them aside from their RB. Seminole will bring back a good amount of talent from a Region Finalist squad. It won't be a breeze for Graham, but I do think Region I is up for grabs and slightly leaning towards the Steers.

Razorback88
07-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Monahans will be very good this year. Sweetwater and Seminole as well, and all in the same district. Graham will be there too.......watched them play Monahans last year and the Loboes physically dominated them up front. Region 1 will be a dogfight. I'll put my money on Monahans or Sweetwater. The Thompson kid is a game changer.

d0tc0m
07-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Monahans will be very good this year. Sweetwater and Seminole as well, and all in the same district. Graham will be there too.......watched them play Monahans last year and the Loboes physically dominated them up front. Region 1 will be a dogfight. I'll put my money on Monahans or Sweetwater. The Thompson kid is a game changer.

You've got that right, Razorback (woo pig sooie!), Thompson is electric for the Mustangs.

I know Grant and Terry said this in their latest preseason show, but Monahans is just always there. Every year, they kinda quietly go about things, then you look up in December and they're playing for the Region I title. Maybe this is the year the Loboes get it done. Glad they're bringing back some pieces around their RB.

I had kinda forgotten about Seminole, to be honest, until I started looking at how this Region unfolded last year. They'll be for real, I think. Region I should be pretty entertaining this season.

Razorback88
07-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Mickey Owens @ Monahans does more with less than any other coach in the state. Monahans doesn't look like much at a track meet but he always has those kids playing hard.

d0tc0m
07-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Mickey Owens @ Monahans does more with less than any other coach in the state. Monahans doesn't look like much at a track meet but he always has those kids playing hard.

I can get on board with this statement.

Rocket Man
07-18-2017, 08:25 AM
I have no idea if Robinson is about right, too low or too high.

Gonna be a box of chocolates this season.

Pretty sure Ashcraft's not gonna play football & Cooper may not either. No idea at this time who'll be the QB.

lostaussie
07-18-2017, 09:07 AM
At this point, Gilmer is overrated. There, I said it.So who would you put above us. And I'm by no means saying we are the best team at all. Time will tell that. If you say WOS I would have no problem with that. 2 time defending champs. Who else based on the information that they have?? What is a known is that we bring back a 5000 yard passer. We bring back some experience on both sides of the ball. That we have scored some 6800 points in the last decade. I would have the exact number but a certain statistition hasn't updated last year's playoffs.
What is unknown is defense and line play though most who know anything about us believe will both be better. So give us your top ten. Somebody has to be #1 to start. Doesn't have to be us for sure. But based on the information they had, I think the rankings are more than fair. You could probably flip flop almost any in the top 10 or so.

Aesculus gilmus
07-18-2017, 09:39 AM
I just don't like having the #1 target on our backs, so yeah, the defending champion should have that, even without an established QB.

West Orange-Stark is ALWAYS going to have a stout defense. All the replacement for Jack Dallas needs to be able to do is lead them to about four scores a game.

I don't know enough about the other eight teams to come up with an order, but I would move "Texarkana" up a few notches.

Maybe they are calling Pleasant Grove that now because of how successful their recruiting has gone (which is totally legal within Texarkana, as I understand it).

lostaussie
07-18-2017, 10:46 AM
I think TPG is a so called sleeper for sure. I don't think as many around the state know much about them but they are definitely on the rise.
As for the top ten or #1 I could care less about the ranking or the so-called target on our back. We have been good enough for long enough that we already have a target.......every week. My point I guess was.......other than WOS Cuero or us, I don't really know who you put at the top to start. They have the pedigrees and it's so watered down now that there just aren't many to choose from. Now 3 or 4 weeks into the season than can and probably all will change.

Dawgs
07-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Don't worry Buckeyes, y'all won't be #1 after week 4! "Can't wait!" in my Bart Scott voice, haha.

d0tc0m
07-18-2017, 12:35 PM
So who would you put above us. And I'm by no means saying we are the best team at all. Time will tell that. If you say WOS I would have no problem with that. 2 time defending champs. Who else based on the information that they have?? What is a known is that we bring back a 5000 yard passer. We bring back some experience on both sides of the ball. That we have scored some 6800 points in the last decade. I would have the exact number but a certain statistition hasn't updated last year's playoffs.
What is unknown is defense and line play though most who know anything about us believe will both be better. So give us your top ten. Somebody has to be #1 to start. Doesn't have to be us for sure. But based on the information they had, I think the rankings are more than fair. You could probably flip flop almost any in the top 10 or so.

I agree with Aussie. You may not like the target on your back with the No. 1 ranking, but regardless of where Gilmer is ranked, they're going to have a target on their back. And, like Aussie said, who do you put No. 1? I know contemporary thinking is to put the defending champs there 'until someone knocks them off.' But that's just silly rationale. WOS lost a ton on both sides of the ball. They'll be talented, no doubt. Their defense will be stout, sure. They can probably make it back to Jerry's World. But they won't be anything like last year, or the two years before that, even. What they do bring back pales in comparison to what Gilmer brings back. The only team I think you could argue could oust the Buckeyes from the No. 1 spot is Cuero, and I'd certainly hear that argument out. But based on Poppy Brown and that Buckeye system alone, I couldn't, in good faith, put the Gobblers any higher than No. 2 right now.

I think Gilmer will breeze through the first few games as No. 1, lose to Carthage, and drop down to No. 2 by default. That's when we'll see Cuero take the top spot, and probably stay there for a little while.

d0tc0m
07-18-2017, 12:36 PM
I think TPG is a so called sleeper for sure. I don't think as many around the state know much about them but they are definitely on the rise.
As for the top ten or #1 I could care less about the ranking or the so-called target on our back. We have been good enough for long enough that we already have a target.......every week. My point I guess was.......other than WOS Cuero or us, I don't really know who you put at the top to start. They have the pedigrees and it's so watered down now that there just aren't many to choose from. Now 3 or 4 weeks into the season than can and probably all will change.

TPG is probably a top 10 team for sure right now. Their defense will give the Hawks a puncher's chance in every game they play, even against Gilmer. But, against teams like the Buckeyes, I just don't know if the Hawks will be able to score enough points to win. An easy second-place pick for that district right now, though, in my opinion.

d0tc0m
07-18-2017, 01:04 PM
I have no idea if Robinson is about right, too low or too high.

Gonna be a box of chocolates this season.

Pretty sure Ashcraft's not gonna play football & Cooper may not either. No idea at this time who'll be the QB.

Well, Robinson still has probably the prettiest stadium photograph (http://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=154) on Texas Bob of all time.

If that photo doesn't make your bones ache for some chilly Friday nights, then you need to seek medical attention right away.

lostaussie
07-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Don't worry Buckeyes, y'all won't be #1 after week 4! "Can't wait!" in my Bart Scott voice, haha.

I can't wait either. But as both of us know, it has no bearing what so ever on either teams ultimate goal. It is just a character builder that you learn from and move on.
Now for the fans......that's a different story:D

WOS87
07-18-2017, 01:50 PM
I agree with Aussie. You may not like the target on your back with the No. 1 ranking, but regardless of where Gilmer is ranked, they're going to have a target on their back. And, like Aussie said, who do you put No. 1? I know contemporary thinking is to put the defending champs there 'until someone knocks them off.' But that's just silly rationale. WOS lost a ton on both sides of the ball. They'll be talented, no doubt. Their defense will be stout, sure. They can probably make it back to Jerry's World. But they won't be anything like last year, or the two years before that, even. What they do bring back pales in comparison to what Gilmer brings back. The only team I think you could argue could oust the Buckeyes from the No. 1 spot is Cuero, and I'd certainly hear that argument out. But based on Poppy Brown and that Buckeye system alone, I couldn't, in good faith, put the Gobblers any higher than No. 2 right now.

I think Gilmer will breeze through the first few games as No. 1, lose to Carthage, and drop down to No. 2 by default. That's when we'll see Cuero take the top spot, and probably stay there for a little while.

The BIG if is how well Kennedale is doing and who wins. WOS beating Kennedale should keep us ahead of Cuero. I'm all for staying under the radar, and NOT being #1 but we do have this little thing called a 27 game winning streak that we don't want to lose and that everyone wants to end.

lostaussie
07-18-2017, 01:55 PM
You need to read my above post. Hard for me to use cold hard facts when your info ain't up to date:D

And I can't believe you just used the term " staying under the radar" That and WOS don't even belong in the same sentence.

bobcat1
07-18-2017, 06:29 PM
You need to read my above post. Hard for me to use cold hard facts when your info ain't up to date:D

And I can't believe you just used the term " staying under the radar" That and WOS don't even belong in the same sentence.

Ain't that the truth!

Rocket Man
07-18-2017, 08:21 PM
Well, Robinson still has probably the prettiest stadium photograph (http://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=154) on Texas Bob of all time.

If that photo doesn't make your bones ache for some chilly Friday nights, then you need to seek medical attention right away.

That is a pretty pic; backdrop courtesy of God!!

FB-fanatic
07-18-2017, 11:26 PM
That is a pretty pic; backdrop courtesy of God!!

Like.

We did copy the 'ole Rockets switch a roo and move home to visitor side with homes backs to the sun...only took us 30 years to figure that one out!

Rankings showing decent respect for the Leopards. Starting QB broke his collarbone last month, but looks to be healed now. Backup may throw a slightly prettier ball, but he also plays pretty mean at DB, so reacon that's where he'll be to begin the season.

We both still gotta play the 'ole Cougs though.

Rocket Man
07-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Like.

We did copy the 'ole Rockets switch a roo and move home to visitor side with homes backs to the sun...only took us 30 years to figure that one out!

Rankings showing decent respect for the Leopards. Starting QB broke his collarbone last month, but looks to be healed now. Backup may throw a slightly prettier ball, but he also plays pretty mean at DB, so reacon that's where he'll be to begin the season.

Ours is a scrimmage; hopefully works out better than last year when lightening cut it short.

d0tc0m
07-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Like.

Ours is a scrimmage; hopefully works out better than last year when lightening cut it short.

Them ol' Cougars ought to at least give you a pretty good idea of where you stand. They'll be salty again this fall.

Rocket Man
07-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Them ol' Cougars ought to at least give you a pretty good idea of where you stand. They'll be salty again this fall.

More for LL than us; who knows who'll be ready for scrimmage and how Coach A will use it. Last year the record setting QB & WR did not participate in the scrimmage. I'm thinking that scrimmage will be pretty one sided, favoring the Chinese.

Rabid Cougar
07-19-2017, 05:06 PM

That's not a sunset! That's Elon Musk firing off one of his rocket engines at McGregor.

Rabid Cougar
07-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Pretty sure Ashcraft's not gonna play football.

Why would you play football when you are going to be a MLB first round draft choice????? That is am automatic $3M plus paycheck.

Rocket Man
07-20-2017, 01:24 AM
Why would you play football when you are going to be a MLB first round draft choice????? That is am automatic $3M plus paycheck.

Nothing critical meant on my part; just FYI-ing and lowering expectations......part of my strategy to make everyone overlook the Rockets so they can sneak up on them.....wink wink; don't tell anyone, ok!

buckeyebob
07-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Well I wasn't gonna bring it up, but since you did, yea........that was a mess. We had a coach and a cheerleader get ko'ed. Our coaches did an amazing job of not letting it escalate out of hand. I know I was glad to get my family to the dang truck that night.

It was ugly...& UIL handled it so well...they moved us out of Region 15 to Region 17