PDA

View Full Version : DCTF 2017 Preseason Rankings

WOS87
06-19-2017, 06:23 PM
I've only seen the 3A ones so far. Trying to track down the others.

3A D1

1.Cameron Yoe
2. Hallettsville
3.Brock
4.Yoakum
5.Malakoff
6.Wall
7.Teague
8. Farmersville
9. Pottsboro
10.Rockdale
11.Mineola
12.Franklin
13.Goliad
14.Woodville
15.LaMarque
16.Grandview
17.Kemp
18.Jefferson
19.White Oak
20.Whitesboro

3A D2

1.Lexington
2.East Bernard
3.Gunter
4.Newton
5.Canadian
6.Sonora
7.Elysian Fields
8.Boling
9.Arp
10.Cisco
11.Crockett
12.Gilmer Harmony
13.West Rusk
14.Eastland
15.Winona
16.Henrietta
17.Daingerfield
18.Odem
19.Buffalo
20.Idalou

YTBulldogs
06-19-2017, 07:56 PM
#4 not bad. Four starters were not known and considered when DC received team info back in Feb. They will not be listed in magazine. I do agree Yoe is #1, and HV with those Taylor Bros transfers warrant #2 ranking. Is Scooter returning to HV for his senior year or did they move?

Gonna be fun!!!!

Yoe_09
06-19-2017, 08:14 PM
I would flip HV and Yoakum. Cameron looks about right :1popcorn:

Rabid Cougar
06-19-2017, 08:25 PM
I would flip HV and Yoakum. Cameron looks about right :1popcorn:

Cameron in that spot is always right.

Yoe_09
06-19-2017, 10:24 PM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee

4A D2
1. Gilmer
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Cuero
4. Celina
5. Giddings
6. Wimberley
7. Monahans
8. Texarkana Pleasant Grove
9. Jasper
10. Sweetwater
11. Bellville
12. Seminole
13. Geronimo Navarro
14. Gladewater
15. Liberty
16. Sinton
17. Graham
18. Krum
19. Lorena
20. Glen Rose

toddg
06-19-2017, 10:48 PM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee Kennedale #4?LOL!!They lost their entire defense to graduation! MH should be #2

Bosqueville
06-19-2017, 11:29 PM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee

4A D2
1. Gilmer
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Cuero
4. Celina
5. Giddings
6. Wimberley
7. Monahans
9. Jasper
10. Sweetwater
11. Bellville
12. Seminole
13. Geronimo Navarro
14. Gladewater
15. Liberty
16. Sinton
17. Graham
18. Krum
19. Lorena
20. Glen Rose

Bay City????

WOS87
06-19-2017, 11:41 PM
I'm already nervous being ranked that high. Especially knowing Gilmer will face Carthage. WO-S has played 12 of the D2 Top 20 with losses only to Gilmer, Giddings, Wimberley and Jasper. This should be an interesting season for sure in D2.

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 07:28 AM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee

4A D2
1. Gilmer
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Cuero
4. Celina
5. Giddings
6. Wimberley
7. Monahans
9. Jasper
10. Sweetwater
11. Bellville
12. Seminole
13. Geronimo Navarro
14. Gladewater
15. Liberty
16. Sinton
17. Graham
18. Krum
19. Lorena
20. Glen Rose

Well, they got the No. 1's right, in my opinion. Beyond that, who knows? In Div. II, WO-S is still the favorite in Region III, by kind of a lot. Sweetwater is still the favorite in Region I, although, I'd love to see Graham or Krum challenge for that title. I totally understand why they have Cuero at No. 3, and I probably would have done the same thing. But, as of June, Wimberley would be my pick to win Region IV.

Celina's a little high at No. 4, in my opinion, but I don't know how far I'd drop them. Maybe swap them with Wimberley. The Bobcats will be better than last year, and they're on an upward trajectory over the next few years - from what I'm told - so everyone in the orange and white is hoping for another fun season.

One team that's not in the rankings right now that I could see make a jump in pretty quickly is Tatum. If the Eagles can get some stability back in their program, they've got the talent to make some noise, especially in Region II.

In Div. I, there's a decent gap right now between Carthage and everyone else. But I could still see the Bulldogs losing a game or two, or three, before a blitzkrieg postseason run. They've kinda patented that formula for some reason.

Argyle may be a bit high, but we all know what that program does and how the Eagles just continue to find ways to win. I'd probably have Midlothian Heritage a notch or two higher, just because of the experience they gained last year and what they have returning. Somerset is going to be a team to watch, in my opinion. If they can get a defense going, and develop some good pieces on offense, they've got the QB to make a deep run. And lastly, of my first impressions, Kaufman should be a little higher. That's an athletic bunch over there. I could see another fun playoff run from those guys

I love these rankings, especially this time of year, for the mere fact that they get the action going here on the boards. I've missed you guys. I'm ready to get this 2017 train rolling.

LHPfactory
06-20-2017, 07:47 AM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee

4A D2
1. Gilmer
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Cuero
4. Celina
5. Giddings
6. Wimberley
7. Monahans
9. Jasper
10. Sweetwater
11. Bellville
12. Seminole
13. Geronimo Navarro
14. Gladewater
15. Liberty
16. Sinton
17. Graham
18. Krum
19. Lorena
20. Glen Rose

I think Alvarado was overlooked, that is usually a good thing though.

10ForTheWin
06-20-2017, 08:06 AM
How long till Salty gets here to complain about Navarro at 13?? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 08:13 AM
How long till Salty gets here to complain about Navarro at 13?? ;)

What does Navarro bring back? Are they still a legitimate top 15 team?

10ForTheWin
06-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Maybe, but it's a big maybe imo. We'll have a bigger stronger O-Line, a 3 year starter at QB, and another stable of backs who all can be dangerous. Defense has a bunch of holes to fill. But after Giddings, La Grange, and Refugio during the preseason we should have a good idea where we stand. I still won't pick Wimbo to beat us, but it looks like it should be a slugfest this year between us for the District Title.

SaltySixes
06-20-2017, 08:59 AM

I have to ask why a legitimate top 15 team? We were a legitimate top 4 team last year, and it seams to me that last year is all these rankings are ever based on.... that being said 10 is mostly right. One thing to add is that Goad thinks we will be as good or better than last year!

10ForTheWin
06-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Update: It took Salty 9 hours and 57 minutes to respond in question of Navarro's rank of 13.... That is all

lostaussie
06-20-2017, 09:28 AM
We got a little better yesterday with the addition of a running back that I'm being told started at Aledo last year. He went to Gilmer through Jr. high and moved. Now moving back. His father was a Buckeye qb in the 90's and still lives here.

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 09:35 AM
I have to ask why a legitimate top 15 team? We were a legitimate top 4 team last year, and it seams to me that last year is all these rankings are ever based on.... that being said 10 is mostly right. One thing to add is that Goad thinks we will be as good or better than last year!

A legitimate top 15 team, because you just slipped into the top 15 at No. 13. I was just wondering if you boys in purple thought that was a fitting place for the Panthers to be in the middle of June, or if there would be a significant drop-off from last season, because I genuinely didn't know.

Navarro was certainly a top four team last year. But that was last year, and contrary to what you might believe, these rankings are not built solely on the previous season. That's only part of the formula. I hope the Panthers make some more noise again, because some of you guys kept these boards entertaining last year. That said, I'd put you in the third spot in Region IV behind Wimberley and Cuero right now ... 2 1/2 months from the snap of the first game of the season. Heck, these rankings may change by the time two-a-days start.

It always gives us good discussion, though! And like I said in a previous post, it's just good to be back, and it's good to see everybody starting to come back around again. It's that time of the summer when we start getting the itch. At least we've got the State 7-on-7 next week to look forward to. That can give us a little momentum heading into July.

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 09:37 AM
We got a little better yesterday with the addition of a running back that I'm being told started at Aledo last year. He went to Gilmer through Jr. high and moved. Now moving back. His father was a Buckeye qb in the 90's and still lives here.

Heard about this. Heard rumors that there could be an eligibility issue, but that seems silly to me. With family roots there, seems like a no-brainer that there won't be any issues. If so, great addition for the Buckeyes. That pushes them just a little bit further ahead of everybody else in Div. II, in my opinion. Them boys are going to be nasty again this fall.

Still hope my Bobcats get a fourth straight matchup against the Buckeyes, though.

SaltySixes
06-20-2017, 09:56 AM
A legitimate top 15 team, because you just slipped into the top 15 at No. 13. I was just wondering if you boys in purple thought that was a fitting place for the Panthers to be in the middle of June, or if there would be a significant drop-off from last season, because I genuinely didn't know.

Navarro was certainly a top four team last year. But that was last year, and contrary to what you might believe, these rankings are not built solely on the previous season. That's only part of the formula. I hope the Panthers make some more noise again, because some of you guys kept these boards entertaining last year. That said, I'd put you in the third spot in Region IV behind Wimberley and Cuero right now ... 2 1/2 months from the snap of the first game of the season. Heck, these rankings may change by the time two-a-days start.

It always gives us good discussion, though! And like I said in a previous post, it's just good to be back, and it's good to see everybody starting to come back around again. It's that time of the summer when we start getting the itch. At least we've got the State 7-on-7 next week to look forward to. That can give us a little momentum heading into July.

Who knows about 13 in the state? Too many teams to claim that you could know exactly where your team stands. However in region 4, I would have to put us just behind Cuero with a slight edge on Wimberley. Sorry Texans not this year!

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Who knows about 13 in the state? Too many teams to claim that you could know exactly where your team stands. However in region 4, I would have to put us just behind Cuero with a slight edge on Wimberley. Sorry Texans not this year!

Of course nobody knows exactly where they stand. These are rankings we're talking about. It's as inexact a science as there is. But, that said, you know if you're a top 15 team in your division or not. If you don't know, then you're probably not a top 15 team.

At any rate, Div. II, Region IV should provide another fun November/December for all of us HS football fans.

SaltySixes
06-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Of course nobody knows exactly where they stand. These are rankings we're talking about. It's as inexact a science as there is. But, that said, you know if you're a top 15 team in your division or not. If you don't know, then you're probably not a top 15 team.

At any rate, Div. II, Region IV should provide another fun November/December for all of us HS football fans.

Lol. I try out modesty and that doesnt work either!
At any rate, YES navarro is a top 15 team. :rolleyes:

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Lol. I try out modesty and that doesnt work either!
At any rate, YES navarro is a top 15 team. :rolleyes:

Sheesh, poor ol' Salty is the victim of a benign discussion yet again.

Rocket Man
06-20-2017, 12:02 PM
With no pressure of a high ranking; I'm gonna just enjoy watching the Rockets play and my daughter captain the Drill Team at half times.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Sinton had the defense last year and return good portion offensively also, turnovers plague them last year in interceptions. Their qb Colt Gorman good opportunity to have a big year with the skill and talent he'll have at his disposal this season. Sitting at 16 is good place to start pretty sure they'll be way up there by end of the regular season. Andrew McGowan and Daryl French been busy in the offseason. Tristan Canales finish strong last year and look for break out year from him.

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 12:20 PM
With no pressure of a high ranking; I'm gonna just enjoy watching the Rockets play and my daughter captain the Drill Team at half times.

I wish the Rockets would have another couple of great seasons like 2006-07. At least then, maybe, Region III would be interesting again. Hard to imagine anybody realistically challenging WO-S in the first four rounds of the playoffs again. They may get a dogfight in the semifinals, though, because Region IV looks entertaining as hell again. And, heck, maybe Giddings is up to the challenge this season in Region III. Buff4ever may have some insight into that.

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Sinton had the defense last year and return good portion offensively also, turnovers plague them last year in interceptions. Their qb Colt Gorman good opportunity to have a big year with the skill and talent he'll have at his disposal this season. Sitting at 16 is good place to start pretty sure they'll be way up there by end of the regular season.

Was hoping one of you from Sinton would chime in. This just furthers the argument that Region IV may be the most competitive in Div. II this year.

Dawgs
06-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Week 4 is going to be a doozy at Jeff Traylor. Both teams have a chance to be ranked #1. I think with so much experience, this might be a year Carthage can go 10-0. But just not sure. We are known to lay an egg atleast a couple times a year. With GW, WH, LE, Gilmer, Henderson, and Kilgore on the schedule it is going to be tough. All of them can beat Carthage if we don't play to full potential. I am kinda in wait and see mode. On paper Carthage has the potential to have one of the all-time best 4a teams. But games aren't played on paper. We will have an inexperienced QB, but the rest of the team should pick him up until Surratt gets him coached up about the time the playoffs roll around.

d0tc0m
06-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Week 4 is going to be a doozy at Jeff Traylor. Both teams have a chance to be ranked #1. I think with so much experience, this might be a year Carthage can go 10-0. But just not sure. We are known to lay an egg atleast a couple times a year. With GW, WH, LE, Gilmer, Henderson, and Kilgore on the schedule it is going to be tough. All of them can beat Carthage if we don't play to full potential. I am kinda in wait and see mode. On paper Carthage has the potential to have one of the all-time best 4a teams. But games aren't played on paper. We will have an inexperienced QB, but the rest of the team should pick him up until Surratt gets him coached up about the time the playoffs roll around.

Was wondering how long it'd be until we got around to talking about that Sept. 23 matchup. That one is going to be standing-room only in Gilmer, and it'll be LOUD!!! I would imagine Grant and Terry would be at that game for sure, especially if the Bulldogs and the Buckeyes are still undefeated - which, I imagine they will be.

If Carthage runs the table with that schedule, then they'll go a perfect 16-0 on the year. If not, I still think they'll play 16 games in 2017, and as long as you hang up a W in that 16th, that's all that matters.

YTBulldogs
06-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Cuero #3 (our 2nd game) Giddings #5 (4th game our Homecoming) Yoakum should be battle testing heading into district opener in Hallettsville.:thumbsup:

speedbump
06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Bay City????

Get used to it.The Black Cats have been sleeping in the car out in the parking lot for about ten years. They came back in to the dance last year and from what I hear they will stay for a while.With close to 600 wins I'd say they got tired of losing. The El Campo - Bay City game is the longest continuous rivalry in the state (Any classification) and is about to heat up again. Lots of district titles decided by that game and a lot more to come it seems.

waterboy
06-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I think Gilmer has a lot to prove to be worthy of a #1 ranking. They lost a lot of playmakers on both sides of the ball. They have a good core group coming back, however. I just think they will have to improve, especially on the defensive side of the ball to have a chance to be there in the end. It'll be interesting for sure.

Old Green
06-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Get used to it.The Black Cats have been sleeping in the car out in the parking lot for about ten years. They came back in to the dance last year and from what I hear they will stay for a while.With close to 600 wins I'd say they got tired of losing. The El Campo - Bay City game is the longest continuous rivalry in the state (Any classification) and is about to heat up again. Lots of district titles decided by that game and a lot more to come it seems.

Bay City has some very good receivers with good hands and speed. They looked very good at the 7 on 7 tournament.

Rocket Man
06-20-2017, 05:04 PM
I wish the Rockets would have another couple of great seasons like 2006-07. At least then, maybe, Region III would be interesting again. Hard to imagine anybody realistically challenging WO-S in the first four rounds of the playoffs again. They may get a dogfight in the semifinals, though, because Region IV looks entertaining as hell again. And, heck, maybe Giddings is up to the challenge this season in Region III. Buff4ever may have some insight into that.

Slim chance with such little emphasis placed on defense. But, I'd sure like to see that too; that was a magical season!

Scoop27
06-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Black Cats will be no better than a one win playoff team

Aesculus gilmus
06-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Honestly, I think Gilmer has a lot to prove to be worthy of a #1 ranking. They lost a lot of playmakers on both sides of the ball. They have a good core group coming back, however. I just think they will have to improve, especially on the defensive side of the ball to have a chance to be there in the end. It'll be interesting for sure.

I don't ever like to see a preseason top ranking. Always reminds me of 2006.

speedbump
06-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Black Cats will be no better than a one win playoff team

Depends on who they play in round two. I'd say it would be a toss up with any team from district 10.

Tejastrue
06-20-2017, 09:24 PM
DCTF is paying attention. :thumbsup: Navarro, you gave it your best shot. Time to step aside. We'll take it from here. Go Texans!

Yoe_09
06-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Bay City has some very good receivers with good hands and speed. They looked very good at the 7 on 7 tournament.

They played up pretty tough when they came to Cameron last year. They are definitely getting better.

waterboy
06-21-2017, 08:57 AM
I don't ever like to see a preseason top ranking. Always reminds me of 2006.

I prefer to think of 2009. :D

We certainly have to be able to play DEFENSE in order to get to that lofty ranking. I think the offense is there. It's just the defense is a question mark. No doubt we have plenty of talent.

10ForTheWin
06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
DCTF is paying attention. :thumbsup: Navarro, you gave it your best shot. Time to step aside. We'll take it from here. Go Texans!

But gold goes better with purple... y'all should just keep that silver ;)

d0tc0m
06-21-2017, 11:14 AM

Gilmer will probably, as usual, be good enough offensively to overcome defensive iniquities in most matchups. The new addition at RB certainly helps in that regard. And actually, from my understanding, that young man from Aledo may offer the Buckeyes more on the defensive side of things than the offensive side. I suspect the Buckeyes will be just fine on both sides of the ball and probably be 9-1 (can't pick them over Carthage right now) heading into the postseason. From there, I don't see another team in Region II giving them fits until maybe the region finals.

And unless Sweetwater is bringing back the house this year, I can't see anyone from Region I - as of right now - keeping the Region II champ out of the state championship game. Of course, last year, I didn't think Sweetwater had even a puncher's chance against Gilmer. Boy, was I wrong.

lostaussie
06-21-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't ever like to see a preseason top ranking. Always reminds me of 2006.That's a real bad memory ago. One we do no longer discuss in open forum:D

waterboy
06-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Gilmer will probably, as usual, be good enough offensively to overcome defensive iniquities in most matchups. The new addition at RB certainly helps in that regard. And actually, from my understanding, that young man from Aledo may offer the Buckeyes more on the defensive side of things than the offensive side. I suspect the Buckeyes will be just fine on both sides of the ball and probably be 9-1 (can't pick them over Carthage right now) heading into the postseason. From there, I don't see another team in Region II giving them fits until maybe the region finals.

And unless Sweetwater is bringing back the house this year, I can't see anyone from Region I - as of right now - keeping the Region II champ out of the state championship game. Of course, last year, I didn't think Sweetwater had even a puncher's chance against Gilmer. Boy, was I wrong.

The move-in from Aledo played junior high ball at Gilmer. He is moving back to Gilmer to live with his Dad who lives within a stone's throw from the stadium. He will certainly help.

I still think of what could've been in the past, or what we could become if defense was a priority at Gilmer. If we take care of the football this season we will certainly win a lot of games as usual. If we avoid turnovers and drive killing penalties like last year, AND play solid defense that can actually get stops on a regular basis, we will likely be playing in December again. A championship will take jelling at the right time, some luck, and being healthy. I don't think there will be many teams with "more" talent than us.

waterboy
06-21-2017, 03:59 PM
That's a real bad memory ago. One we do no longer discuss in open forum:D

I didn't get on this site until 2007, but I can imagine.

The sad part is, I was one of those people who said Gilmer was overrated. I remember telling some friends and family members after the Daingerfield game that year (we won 62-42 in Daingerfield) that if Gilmer didn't learn how to play defense, they would get beat when they went against somebody who could play defense. I also distinctly remember saying that the first team to hold our offense under 40 points would beat us.

Liberty-Eylau was that team. LE had some NFL caliber talent that year with Will Middlebrooks (who opted for MLB), LaMichael James, and a few others.

Aesculus gilmus
06-21-2017, 08:04 PM

What is Celina's enrollment shaping up to be this fall? Could this be your last year in our division?

If so, this season may be your last chance to ever play Gilmer. Gilmer is now LOSING enrollment - down to only 660 in the high school, according to our superintendent. We're going to be in Division II for a LONG time to come. I don't think we'll ever collapse down into 3A Division I, but anything's possible, I guess.

After all, Daingerfield used to be in our district. Now they're all the way down in 3A Division II.

WOS87
06-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Looks like we're stuck with each other for a while. WOS stopped dropping but won't be increasing anytime soon.

d0tc0m
06-21-2017, 09:24 PM
What is Celina's enrollment shaping up to be this fall? Could this be your last year in our division?

If so, this season may be your last chance to ever play Gilmer. Gilmer is now LOSING enrollment - down to only 660 in the high school, according to our superintendent. We're going to be in Division II for a LONG time to come. I don't think we'll ever collapse down into 3A Division I, but anything's possible, I guess.

After all, Daingerfield used to be in our district. Now they're all the way down in 3A Division II.

I wish I could say Celina would be in Div. II for a long time. But unless the economy goes way south again and spurs the growth the experts say is coming, I'm afraid the Bobcats are on a Div. II (and more realistically a 4A) farewell tour. We're not far away from playing the Lovejoy's, McKinney's, Prosper's and probably the Frisco schools on a regular basis. I can't see anyway we stay Div. II next realignment, and if what people are saying is true, we could be 5A Div. II by the 2020 - maybe 2022 - realignment.

I wish we could funnel all of our growth to Prosper schools and keep Celina in the small-school ranks. But the sad reality is the war machine that is the DFW Metroplex is powered up, moving north and swallowing up everything. Small-town football in North Texas is going the way of the dinosaur, sadly. I wish there was a way to keep Celina - and all of our old familiar north Texas friends - small forever, but I suspect that's as futile a hope as trying to stave off time itself.

buckeyebob
06-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Carthage in the pre-season...SRO in Buckeye Land on a Saturday night (9-23)

Pleasant Grove for our 1st District Game @ Buckeye Land....another SRO....followed by Gladewater in District #2

Aesculus gilmus
06-22-2017, 06:58 AM
I wish there was a way to keep Celina - and all of our old familiar north Texas friends - small forever, but I suspect that's as futile a hope as trying to stave off time itself.

Come to Upshur County - the land that time forgot. We don't even have a hospital. Heck, we don't even have an ER. But we've got a helluva football team in the school district of the county seat. So it's all good!

In 1960, the population of Gilmer was 4,312. In 2010, it was 4,905. Most of that growth is Hispanic, I think.

Bosqueville
06-22-2017, 06:59 AM
That week 3 Cameron at China Spring game looks juicy...

d0tc0m
06-22-2017, 07:14 AM
That week 3 Cameron at China Spring game looks juicy...

My goodness. That game is always entertaining. This year will be especially so, I imagine.

d0tc0m
06-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Come to Upshur County - the land that time forgot. We don't even have a hospital. Heck, we don't even have an ER. But we've got a helluva football team in the school district of the county seat. So it's all good!

In 1960, the population of Gilmer was 4,312. In 2010, it was 4,905. Most of that growth is Hispanic, I think.

That sounds lovely. I'll keep that as an option. Although, my first choice would be keep the convenience of Collin County, but also keep the population of Celina right where it is. I'd also like to see Pilot Point grow a little and come up into the 4A fold. I would love to see the Bobcats and Bearcats get back to slugging it out every season. Of course, it hasn't been much of a rivalry in over a decade. Haven't beaten us since 1998. Last competitive game, I believe, was my senior year (2004).

d0tc0m
06-22-2017, 07:23 AM
Carthage in the pre-season...SRO in Buckeye Land on a Saturday night (9-23)

Pleasant Grove for our 1st District Game @ Buckeye Land....another SRO....followed by Gladewater in District #2

All great games.

I don't know what to expect from Gladewater, honestly. I know they've got that big ol' tight end, but other than that, I can't remember what they're bringing back. But Pleasant Grove should be improved over last season a little, and that could make that opening district matchup fairly entertaining.

Aesculus gilmus
06-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Actually, the southern part of our county has grown in population a lot over the years because of proximity to Longview and Tyler.

In 1960, the population of Upshur County was 19,793. As of 2010, it was 39,388.

Some of the Gilmer ISD extends down to Glenwood and East Mountain, which are very close to Longview, but most of it is in the stagnant part of the county.

Our high school enrollment was 705 only a year ago, so something is going on with that drastic a change.

I think we're gradually reaching the point where Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and his allies are finally going to convince parents that the public schools are hopeless and everyone should pull their kids out of them.

That's why he's trying so hard to get private school vouchers passed, so far without much luck.

waterboy
06-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Longview is growing to the north and northeast, so that growth is not affecting our district. I have noticed there are a lot of homes being built outside Gilmer, mostly to the east. I'm pretty sure that most of these homes are being built by people moving out of town due to the steady amount of homes in town coming on the market. That is likely what keeps Gilmer's population from going up or down by much. My feeling is that enrollment will cycle like it always has for the last 40-50 years, from around 630, to a little over 700 about once every decade.

buckeyebob
06-22-2017, 03:55 PM
That's a real bad memory ago. One we do no longer discuss in open forum:D

I learned to never trust a team from Arkansas...enough said

buckeyebob
06-22-2017, 04:04 PM
That sounds lovely. I'll keep that as an option. Although, my first choice would be keep the convenience of Collin County, but also keep the population of Celina right where it is. I'd also like to see Pilot Point grow a little and come up into the 4A fold. I would love to see the Bobcats and Bearcats get back to slugging it out every season. Of course, it hasn't been much of a rivalry in over a decade. Haven't beaten us since 1998. Last competitive game, I believe, was my senior year (2004).

Just a warning...learn to play the banjo & bring your significant other from Collin County...had to get e one from Victoria...she had a full set of teeth & a boat...sometimes things go right

buckeyebob
06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Actually, the southern part of our county has grown in population a lot over the years because of proximity to Longview and Tyler.

In 1960, the population of Upshur County was 19,793. As of 2010, it was 39,388.

Some of the Gilmer ISD extends down to Glenwood and East Mountain, which are very close to Longview, but most of it is in the stagnant part of the county.

Our high school enrollment was 705 only a year ago, so something is going on with that drastic a change.

I think we're gradually reaching the point where Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and his allies are finally going to convince parents that the public schools are hopeless and everyone should pull their kids out of them.

That's why he's trying so hard to get private school vouchers passed, so far without much luck.

My guess for the drop is everyone wants to live in the country...drive out Hwy 49...it's getting crowded. I may have to move to Wood County.

WOS87
06-22-2017, 08:13 PM
The same can be said for Orange County. The city of Orange had 18,000 people in 2010 with the population split between LCM, WO-S and Orangefield ISD. At its peak Orange had around 50,000 people back during WWII due to it being a major port with a Navy base and huge shipbuilding industry. The shipyard practically disappeared 30 years ago. That, in conjunction with two major hurricanes devastating the city have put it where it is now. I doubt we'll drop any further because the actual county population is rising and there is a mild regrowth in Old Orange but we went from 5A in 1985 to 3A in 2004. My graduating class in 1987 had 300. This year they barely had 100.

Your guess about people moving out to "living in the country" would be very different from my guess as to why LCM and Bridge City now have larger enrollment than WO-S but everyone knows why as sad as it is.

d0tc0m
06-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Just a warning...learn to play the banjo & bring your significant other from Collin County...had to get e one from Victoria...she had a full set of teeth & a boat...sometimes things go right

Well, I know my way around the guitar, but not the banjo. And I picked up my significant other from Taney County, Missouri, and now we live with our two little boys in Greene County. I feel a little cheated though, because my wife did not come with a boat. I must've misnegotiated the dowry with her father.

Yoe_09
06-22-2017, 11:20 PM
My goodness. That game is always entertaining. This year will be especially so, I imagine.

The games were good in 2015 and 2014.....2016 not so much. CS basically moon-walked their way to a win that night. I really think we can put up a better showing in CS this year. Hopefully something like the 2015 game. Close and hard-fought.

cowboyandchrist
06-23-2017, 04:20 PM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee

4A D2
1. Gilmer
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Cuero
4. Celina
5. Giddings
6. Wimberley
7. Monahans
9. Jasper
10. Sweetwater
11. Bellville
12. Seminole
13. Geronimo Navarro
14. Gladewater
15. Liberty
16. Sinton
17. Graham
18. Krum
19. Lorena
20. Glen Rose

District of doom alive and well, three teams in the top ten. Will be a knock down drag out when the C Dawgs face the Henderson Lions and Kilgore Dogs. Just the way we like it. Lets Go Dawgs !!!!!!! State Championship number #6 is what we are after.
Practice hard, play hard, play as a team, and believe. God Bless coaches, players, and fans. I believe the storm is about to start forming!

buckeyebob
06-23-2017, 06:17 PM
The same can be said for Orange County. The city of Orange had 18,000 people in 2010 with the population split between LCM, WO-S and Orangefield ISD. At its peak Orange had around 50,000 people back during WWII due to it being a major port with a Navy base and huge shipbuilding industry. The shipyard practically disappeared 30 years ago. That, in conjunction with two major hurricanes devastating the city have put it where it is now. I doubt we'll drop any further because the actual county population is rising and there is a mild regrowth in Old Orange but we went from 5A in 1985 to 3A in 2004. My graduating class in 1987 had 300. This year they barely had 100.

Your guess about people moving out to "living in the country" would be very different from my guess as to why LCM and Bridge City now have larger enrollment than WO-S but everyone knows why as sad as it is.

Has anyone ever come up with a rhyme for ORANGE?

Tejastrue
06-23-2017, 07:07 PM
ask Eminem. lol

Saggy Aggie
06-23-2017, 08:10 PM
I suspect Sealy will make an appearance in the top 20 before it's all said and done this year

Sweetwater Red
06-23-2017, 09:42 PM
I suspect Sealy will make an appearance in the top 20 before it's all said and done this year

Sealy's defense will be way ahead of their offense in his first few years but once it catches up given the athletes they gave? They be state ranked just about every year.

speedbump
06-24-2017, 01:07 AM
Sealy's defense will be way ahead of their offense in his first few years but once it catches up given the athletes they gave? They be state ranked just about every year.

It shouldn't take anything close to a few years. Both the Sealy JV and Freshman teams were undefeated in district last year and nobody came within 20 of either. The new coach landed in a gold mine and if he doesn't make a deep run in 2018 and 19 he probably wont be there in 2020.

Rabid Cougar
06-24-2017, 06:57 AM
The games were good in 2015 and 2014.....2016 not so much. CS basically moon-walked their way to a win that night. I really think we can put up a better showing in CS this year. Hopefully something like the 2015 game. Close and hard-fought.

And another CS win!

Rabid Cougar
06-24-2017, 06:59 AM
4A D1
1.Carthage
2. La Vega
3.Argyle
4. Kennedale
5. Midlothian Heritage
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Van
8. China Spring
9. Henderson
10. Kilgore
11. Liberty Hill
12. Stafford
13. Andrews
14. El Campo
15. Sometset
16. Bay City
17. Kaufman
18. Fischer Canyon Lake
19. Bridge City
20. Silsbee

4A D2
1. Gilmer
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Cuero
4. Celina
5. Giddings
6. Wimberley
7. Monahans
9. Jasper
10. Sweetwater
11. Bellville
12. Seminole
13. Geronimo Navarro
14. Gladewater
15. Liberty
16. Sinton
17. Graham
18. Krum
19. Lorena
20. Glen Rose

Region IV's road to Championship runs through Waco!

ctown81
06-24-2017, 05:00 PM
It shouldn't take anything close to a few years. Both the Sealy JV and Freshman teams were undefeated in district last year and nobody came within 20 of either. The new coach landed in a gold mine and if he doesn't make a deep run in 2018 and 19 he probably wont be there in 2020.

Can you really judge by JV and Freshmen games?

Dawgs
06-24-2017, 06:32 PM

If that's the case nobody will stay within 40 of Carthage in 2019! Carthage fish last year beat Gilmer 40 something to 6 if I remember correctly.

buckeyebob
06-24-2017, 08:57 PM

The young'uns develop into the big'uns

Fun to see 'em develop into thru the years. The Thursday nighters become Friday nighters, into Saturdayers into Sundayers.

speedbump
06-24-2017, 09:00 PM

You can get an idea about whats on the way.

buckeyebob
06-24-2017, 09:09 PM
If that's the case nobody will stay within 40 of Carthage in 2019! Carthage fish last year beat Gilmer 40 something to 6 if I remember correctly.

Let's wait a little while...we just might get lucky like 2014...58-21 a real spanking, then 2015 18-15 which gave us 21 wins in a row, 2016 was your year of giving us the spanking 55-37...2017 could be for us...ya gotta to come to Buckeye land

cowboyandchrist
06-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Buckeyebob
I believe this could be the best Dawg team coach S has had since he has been at Carthage.
Does it mean a state championship, we sure hope so, the Dawgs will have big time senior leadership and I believe the best defense in 4A.
I believe the Dawgs give the Buckeyes a loss at their house this year. I also believe the Buckeyes win the Dll state championship if they play defense enough to make one or two key stops a game. God Bless coaches, players, and fans.
Let's Go Dawgs!!!!

d0tc0m
06-25-2017, 02:37 PM
Buckeyebob
I believe this could be the best Dawg team coach S has had since he has been at Carthage.
Does it mean a state championship, we sure hope so, the Dawgs will have big time senior leadership and I believe the best defense in 4A.
I believe the Dawgs give the Buckeyes a loss at their house this year. I also believe the Buckeyes win the Dll state championship if they play defense enough to make one or two key stops a game. God Bless coaches, players, and fans.
Let's Go Dawgs!!!!

If this is the best team Surratt has ever had, then, sheesh, it'll be hard to see anybody staying within double digits of the Bulldogs.

lostaussie
06-25-2017, 03:32 PM
If this is the best team Surratt has ever had, then, sheesh, it'll be hard to see anybody staying within double digits of the Bulldogs.

They will be terribly athletic. Still have to produce on the field though. They have all the potential in the world.

Dawgs
06-25-2017, 04:23 PM
They will be terribly athletic. Still have to produce on the field though. They have all the potential in the world.

Agree 100%. Potential doesn't mean anything unless you produce in Friday nights. We will see if they can live up to the hype. But I will say I don't think we can get thru the regular season undefeated. Just too many teams that match up good with us. You are just not going to out athlete Gilmer, Hendo, Kilgore, and LE. We all have pretty much the same type kids most years. Now Carthage is above average on skill players this year, but we still have to execute. Honestly a loss early will help this team. I'm not saying they will not be hungry, but if there is any belief on the team that they are just gonna hand over the trophy in December a loss early will bring them back to earth. I don't think we have to worry about that, but you never know. I think Gilmer has been in this same situation many times. Have a buncha stud players who look like world beaters at time, but fail to execute. That's not a knock on Gilmer by the way. It's just my observation. Like in 2013. That was a loaded team, but just couldn't stop the mistakes. They came back the next year and pretty much ran over everybody except for GW and WOS.

Dawgs
06-25-2017, 04:39 PM

This team has a ton of potential. I mean a ton. But I think it would be getting a little carried away to call it the best team Carthage has had. I agree that on paper they have a chance to be very special. But you have to remember 08', 10', and 13'. 08' and 10' those teams just kept getting better every week, and by the end of the season they were runaway trains. 13' they were bad to the bone from the beginning. That team had 4 D1 players on offense alone. Nobody was beating them in 3a that year. Only loss was to the number 3 ranked 4a team that year who had a future top 10 draft pick playing QB. And Carthage was up 39-20 in the 3rd quarter, before Mahomes exploded scoring 43 unanswered points. Long story short it's way too early to be calling this the best team Carthage has ever had. That would be disrespectful to the teams that have proved it before them.

ctown81
06-25-2017, 09:47 PM
This team has a ton of potential. I mean a ton. But I think it would be getting a little carried away to call it the best team Carthage has had. I agree that on paper they have a chance to be very special. But you have to remember 08', 10', and 13'. 08' and 10' those teams just kept getting better every week, and by the end of the season they were runaway trains. 13' they were bad to the bone from the beginning. That team had 4 D1 players on offense alone. Nobody was beating them in 3a that year. Only loss was to the number 3 ranked 4a team that year who had a future top 10 draft pick playing QB. And Carthage was up 39-20 in the 3rd quarter, before Mahomes exploded scoring 43 unanswered points. Long story short it's way too early to be calling this the best team Carthage has ever had. That would be disrespectful to the teams that have proved it before them.

On PAPER this may just be the most loaded team we've had but like another poster said, it's all about execution.

d0tc0m
06-26-2017, 07:19 AM

Well, it was one of your own who said it was the best ever, not me. That 2013 team was something special. But the 2008 team, to me, was the best team come state championship time. I'll never forget Dwight Smith just running amok on my Bobcats at Texas Stadium. That Bulldog offensive line was the true MVP of that game, though. They managed to do what no team before them had done, which was basically nullify our stud middle linebacker, Caleb Lavey. They kept him out of the backfield and out of Smith's hair. Dwight Smith was a freaking load for our secondary to try to bring down, too. He was just so strong and NEVER went down on first contact. That was still a whale of a title game, though, and Celina had a shot at Smith in the backfield on a 4th-and-2, and that would've given us a shot at driving the field and scoring the game-tying TD (possibly winning with an XP), and as good as Carthage's offense had been, ours was just as tough. But, like I said, Smith put a move on our cornerback there in the backfield, and I think he broke free and scored on that play, or scored a couple plays later. At any rate, that 2008 team was the best Carthage team I watched.

And I'll agree with your post completely, having all that potential is fantastic. You'd much rather be coming into the season with that mindset than one of not knowing, or one of dread. But, you do have to produce week in and week out, and Carthage's schedule doesn't lend itself to letdowns. Either way, the Bulldogs ought to be fun to watch this season.

Leopard4Life
06-26-2017, 09:35 AM
I wish I could say Celina would be in Div. II for a long time. But unless the economy goes way south again and spurs the growth the experts say is coming, I'm afraid the Bobcats are on a Div. II (and more realistically a 4A) farewell tour. We're not far away from playing the Lovejoy's, McKinney's, Prosper's and probably the Frisco schools on a regular basis. I can't see anyway we stay Div. II next realignment, and if what people are saying is true, we could be 5A Div. II by the 2020 - maybe 2022 - realignment.

I wish we could funnel all of our growth to Prosper schools and keep Celina in the small-school ranks. But the sad reality is the war machine that is the DFW Metroplex is powered up, moving north and swallowing up everything. Small-town football in North Texas is going the way of the dinosaur, sadly. I wish there was a way to keep Celina - and all of our old familiar north Texas friends - small forever, but I suspect that's as futile a hope as trying to stave off time itself.

Gas the buses up, because by the time you make it to 5A D2 almost all the schools you named will be 6A or 5A D1.

Lovejoy may still be 5A D2 for one cycle when Celina comes up, however if the growth continues in this economy then Celina will pass Lovejoy (unless Celina starts building more campuses).

Prosper may drop back down from 6A to join you, but there will be at least two Prosper ISD High Schools by then.

Frisco plans to keep all their schools 5A D1, but lack of state funding has thrown a monkey wrench in that plan. They may need to let a few schools go 6A and hold off on new campuses.

McKinney North should be 6A, however they could drop if McKinney finally builds the 4th high school.

Here are Celina's current numbers:

Celina HS:
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=adhoc.addispatch.sas&endyear=17&major=st&minor=e&format=w&selsumm=nc&linespg=60&charsln=120&grouping=g&key=043903001

Celina JH:
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=adhoc.addispatch.sas&endyear=17&major=st&minor=e&format=w&selsumm=nc&linespg=60&charsln=120&grouping=g&key=043903041

WOS1
06-26-2017, 04:42 PM

Did I read they were in need of a QB? That's cause for concern in itself. Not a deal killer, but a reason to be focused, for sure.

d0tc0m
06-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Did I read they were in need of a QB? That's cause for concern in itself. Not a deal killer, but a reason to be focused, for sure.

They seem to do a good job of developing serviceable QBs over there. And this team is talented enough on both sides of the ball to endure some growing pains under center.

On a side note, for you Carthage boys, is Clint Surratt (new HC at Princeton) related to Scott?

Dawgs
06-26-2017, 06:20 PM

I wouldn't say in need. Have 3 young men that will compete. 1 of them who is a junior has the inside track IMO. He looked good in 7 on 7 SQT. We will see how the QB looks at the state tournament. Whoever it is will be very good by the end of the regular season. Surratt is one of the best in the business developing that position in high school. We haven't ever had a bad one during his time in Carthage. Plus whoever it is doesn't have to do a whole heck of a lot. Hand the ball off to Ingram. Get the ball to playmakers in space. And watch the defense eat from the sideline. This team is ridiculously loaded. Now they just have to prove it.

Dawgs
06-26-2017, 06:22 PM
On PAPER this may just be the most loaded team we've had but like another poster said, it's all about execution.
Agree.

buckeyebob
06-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Buckeyebob
Let's Go Dawgs!!!!

It appears we are on the same page...just a different book

By our game time, we will know a lot about the Bux...we are very optimistic about the guys... lot of youngsters shown the way by the older guys. We may very well suffer a loss but, as usual, the Dawgs know they had a game

It will probably be a SRO, maybe a record attendance...Saturday night...it don't get much better

buckeyebob
06-26-2017, 06:48 PM

We enjoy embarrassing them

buckeyebob
06-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Agree 100%. Potential doesn't mean anything unless you produce in Friday nights. We will see if they can live up to the hype. But I will say I don't think we can get thru the regular season undefeated. Just too many teams that match up good with us. You are just not going to out athlete Gilmer, Hendo, Kilgore, and LE. We all have pretty much the same type kids most years. Now Carthage is above average on skill players this year, but we still have to execute. Honestly a loss early will help this team. I'm not saying they will not be hungry, but if there is any belief on the team that they are just gonna hand over the trophy in December a loss early will bring them back to earth. I don't think we have to worry about that, but you never know. I think Gilmer has been in this same situation many times. Have a buncha stud players who look like world beaters at time, but fail to execute. That's not a knock on Gilmer by the way. It's just my observation. Like in 2013. That was a loaded team, but just couldn't stop the mistakes. They came back the next year and pretty much ran over everybody except for GW and WOS.

Perhaps you are right, but just to add my 2cents worth...2013...made a lot of mistakes but managed to pull 'em together...a 29-34 loss to Kilgore...then then Kilgore meets Carthage in the SC game...we were finished off by Argyle in Reg... 7 Div 1 seniors that year

As far as 2014...Gladewater was the best high school game I have ever witnessed...WOS was the best comeback I ever witnessed...16-0 season scoring 950 points, an average of 535 yds per game

They always seem to find a way.

cowboyandchrist
06-26-2017, 08:00 PM
The reason I think this Dawg team could be the best because of the following.
The best RB in the state in all classifications.
Experienced offensive line returning, big, strong, and quick, add the two twin towers at 6' 5" 285 lb sophomores.
Three receivers that can take it to the house on any play.
Now add the sophomore that has received D1 offers and you have what has a chance to light up the score board.
Now about the QB, everyone knows who ever the QB will be does not have to win ball games, he just has to do what coach S ask him to do. Do not fumble and limit INT's.
Defense!!!!
I truly believe the Dawg defense will be nothing short of amazing.
Three all state caliber linebackers.
The best ball hawking secondary in 4A.
The D line will be bigger, stronger and hard to run on.
The linebackers are big, strong, and fast. In my opinion, could be the best linebacking group we have ever had.
Will this Dawg team win number 6, I don't know.
I do know the talent is there for this Dawg team to be special.
Do I believe this team can go 16 and 0, yes I do, will they, only time will tell.
I pray for no injuries, the Dawgs play for each other, and play as a team.
Go Bless coaches, players, and fans.

speedbump
06-26-2017, 08:14 PM
The reason I think this Dawg team could be the best because of the following.
The best RB in the state in all classifications.
Experienced offensive line returning, big, strong, and quick, add the two twin towers at 6' 5" 285 lb sophomores.
Three receivers that can take it to the house on any play.
Now add the sophomore that has received D1 offers and you have what has a chance to light up the score board.
Now about the QB, everyone knows who ever the QB will be does not have to win ball games, he just has to do what coach S ask him to do. Do not fumble and limit INT's.
Defense!!!!
I truly believe the Dawg defense will be nothing short of amazing.
Three all state caliber linebackers.
The best ball hawking secondary in 4A.
The D line will be bigger, stronger and hard to run on.
The linebackers are big, strong, and fast. In my opinion, could be the best linebacking group we have ever had.
Will this Dawg team win number 6, I don't know.
I do know the talent is there for this Dawg team to be special.
Do I believe this team can go 16 and 0, yes I do, will they, only time will tell.
I pray for no injuries, the Dawgs play for each other, and play as a team.
Go Bless coaches, players, and fans.

I gave up after reading line two.

lostaussie
06-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Lmao

bobcat1
06-26-2017, 10:52 PM

Lmao

:spitlol::fnypost:

toddg
06-27-2017, 03:10 AM
Midlothian Heritage will have the best vertical passing game in 4A.. and capable of outscoring anyone they face in playoffs...anyone.

d0tc0m
06-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Midlothian Heritage will have the best vertical passing game in 4A.. and capable of outscoring anyone they face in playoffs...anyone.

Heritage would be my pick right now to win a talented Region II. I think their run last season just made them really hungry is all.

ctown81
06-29-2017, 11:56 AM

This is our 5th time hearing that question since Blackshire graduated, we are for the most part not concerned. Truthfully we'd be more concerned if we didn't have a strong running game. Carthage's offense is all about balance. Rather have a great rb than qb. Surratt only had one qb not to win a title and ironically enough he was the only qb without a strong running back. Carthage will lose 2-3 games but i think they repeat.

ctown81
06-29-2017, 12:01 PM

so are you picking them to win it all?

d0tc0m
06-29-2017, 12:10 PM

Hey, actually, toddg, what does Alvarado bring back this fall?

toddg
06-29-2017, 11:56 PM
so are you picking them to win it all?
with their timing passing game, they will be a nightmare for anyone they face in the playoffs, and if they get through region 2..they have way more than a punchers chance of winning it. I don't care how good the defense of their opponent is, they won't just "fling" the ball around in desperation, it will be accurate, timing passes, and they have the OLine to give the QB the time.

toddg
06-30-2017, 12:12 AM
Hey, actually, toddg, what does Alvarado bring back this fall?
a very strong Defense, probably the best secondary we've had since 2011, and that's saying something. Front 7 will be hard to run on..basically a great core from last year, with very good additions. Offensively..3 outstanding RBs, a very good passing QB, that can run, a very fast FB, that ain't afraid to bring the wood..a couple of really good TEs(one is my son).. Our OLine will have good size, good technic..but, lacks experience. Hopefully we get them rolling by week 1 game at Justin northwest, we have games against Decatur and Kennedale in weeks 2 and 3, and they need to be playing well..cause I really like beating those teams lol!!!

ctown81
06-30-2017, 08:09 AM
with their timing passing game, they will be a nightmare for anyone they face in the playoffs, and if they get through region 2..they have way more than a punchers chance of winning it. I don't care how good the defense of their opponent is, they won't just "fling" the ball around in desperation, it will be accurate, timing passes, and they have the OLine to give the QB the time.

Do they have a defense to match?

toddg
06-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Do they have a defense to match?

In their 1st varsity season last year, their defense was obviously behind the offense, a lot of Sophs, and a lot of lessons learned. But, with the addition of newly hired D coach, (from Alvarado, dammitt), they should be much improved. In our district game with them last year, we amassed 350 rushing yards against them, and had it not been for penalties, and turnovers, we most likely would have beat them..they avg'd 49 pts a game last year, they beat us 17-14. They lost to Kennedale 49-47 in the 3rd round, had it not been for Kennedale's 5 star LB, breaking up a 2pt conversion pass, they would have won that game..not bad for a team in their 1st varsity season.

ctown81
06-30-2017, 09:32 AM
In their 1st varsity season last year, their defense was obviously behind the offense, a lot of Sophs, and a lot of lessons learned. But, with the addition of newly hired D coach, (from Alvarado, dammitt), they should be much improved. In our district game with them last year, we amassed 350 rushing yards against them, and had it not been for penalties, and turnovers, we most likely would have beat them..they avg'd 49 pts a game last year, they beat us 17-14. They lost to Kennedale 49-47 in the 3rd round, had it not been for Kennedale's 5 star LB, breaking up a 2pt conversion pass, they would have won that game..not bad for a team in their 1st varsity season.

Oh ok. I'm looking forward to following them and hopefully both they and Carthage reach the title game. Will love to see that matchup. I'm expecting Carthage to have the top defense in the state but they will be vastly underrated due to box scores that won't tell the whole story.

d0tc0m
06-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Oh ok. I'm looking forward to following them and hopefully both they and Carthage reach the title game. Will love to see that matchup. I'm expecting Carthage to have the top defense in the state but they will be vastly underrated due to box scores that won't tell the whole story.

One thing Carthage won't be this year is underrated.

ctown81
06-30-2017, 10:37 AM
One thing Carthage won't be this year is underrated.

Not as a team, but i dont' think the defense will get the credit it deserves.

toddg
06-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Carthage getting to the championship, means they beat some dang good teams in region 3..which, was impressive last year, and will be this season. Coach Surratt knows the value of a TE, and always good to see the "I" chewing up yards in crunch time, as was the case last December..it's a beautiful thing!

WOS87
06-30-2017, 05:25 PM
#1 question I got at AT&T last year in my WOS87 jersey had nothing to do with WOS. It was "Is this the Carthage side?" because Sweetwater was all in red on one side and Carthage was all in red on the other. Hopefully some of us get to see each other again this December..

ctown81
06-30-2017, 09:47 PM
#1 question I got at AT&T last year in my WOS87 jersey had nothing to do with WOS. It was "Is this the Carthage side?" because Sweetwater was all in red on one side and Carthage was all in red on the other. Hopefully some of us get to see each other again this December..

Yall will be there again. Games will be a lot closer than last year but I expect a December clash with Gilmer.

Yoe_09
06-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Yall will be there again. Games will be a lot closer than last year but I expect a December clash with Gilmer.

If you look at the region, it is WO-S's to lose. People like Giddings and Bellville will be solid, but I'm not sure they are going to be at that level.