PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Will Still Be Dangerous

Phantom Stang
06-01-2017, 10:25 AM
As Long As They Stay Explosive, Sweetwater Will Still Be Dangerous
by Hunter Cooke
May 5

In the 2016 season, the Sweetwater Mustangs were almost impossible to slow down. Led by quarterback Chris Thompson, they piled up points on just about every single team they faced.

The Mustangs were rolling through the playoffs, taking victory after victory from games that most thought they would lose. Sweetwater made it all the way to the title game, where they met only one of two defenses that could slow them down: a borderline legendary squad from West Orange-Stark.

Sweetwater had been slowed before, they lost a 19-16 game to Monahans in the regular season. This was something different. The only Mustang score came from a Luke James fumble recovery that he brought back all the way, the rest of the time Sweetwater was stymied.

There’s no shame in losing that way, though. West Orange-Stark was a juggernaut, in 16 games their defense put on 10 shutout performances (Silsbee scored a safety and Sweetwater on a fumble recovery, their offenses did not score).

With an incredibly talented group of seniors graduating, brand new head coach Ben McGehee, who also comes from a 2016 state finalist in Temple, will have his work cut out for him.

Key Losses

WR/CB Luke James, RB/LB Jacoby Hunt, WR Jordan McGee, LB Hunter Mobley, DT/G Tate Rainey

So, yeah, Sweetwater will lose a lot from their excellent crew, more than can be named in the format for these articles. Their lines were excellent all year long, and their explosiveness was largely due to guys like Luke James, Jordan McGee, and Jacoby Hunt.

Key Returners

QB Chris Thompson, WR Kobe Clark, OLB/FB Kiante McCoy WR/DB Isak Alvarez

Here’s the good news for Sweetwater: They return Chris Thompson and Kobe Clark, who have the potential to take the top off a defense at any given time. On the defensive side of the ball, district defensive MVP Kiante McCoy and tough defensive back Isak Alvarez return to guide the Mustang defense.

The Verdict

It’s always tough to break in a new head coach, but Ben McGehee has just about every tool he could ask for. Sweetwater loses a lot of their weapons, yes, but the returners, especially Thompson and McCoy, should give McGehee a good foundation to build upon.

Sweetwater will still be a very dangerous team, and it would be completely ludicrous to say that they’re not going to challenge people in the playoffs. I still think that they don’t have as much firepower as they did last year, and that will definitely hurt as they attempt to make their way back to the state championship.

http://texashsfootball.com/long-stay-explosive-sweetwater-will-still-dangerous/

Aesculus gilmus
06-02-2017, 10:52 AM
http://wildcatstrong.com/coaching-staff/ben-mcgehee-2/

Looks like a young whippersnapper. He has the same sort of look Jeff Traylor had at that age. Kind of a "I'm gettin' ready to kick yer ass" look.

WOS87
06-02-2017, 02:01 PM
We'll be trying our best to still be waiting for a 4th time. :2thumbsup :wave:

SaltySixes
06-02-2017, 07:10 PM
I never realized that article was about WOS?

WOS87
06-02-2017, 09:49 PM
I never realized that article was about WOS?

Well we ARE mentioned twice to Navarro's none. :kiss:

I'm rooting for Sweetwater. I always have and always will. They know that. Plus I need to keep my post count ahead of Phantom Stang. He's about to catch me.

SaltySixes
06-03-2017, 09:39 PM
I wasnt saying you aren't rooting for s'water or for Navarro for that matter... all im saying is that i wasnt suprised to see that you made a post on their article.

SaltySixes
06-03-2017, 09:40 PM

I'm rooting for Sweetwater. I always have and always will. They know that. Plus I need to keep my post count ahead of Phantom Stang. He's about to catch me.

I wasnt saying you aren't rooting for s'water or for Navarro for that matter... all im saying is that i wasnt suprised to see that you made a post on their article.

Sweetwater Red
06-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Rumor has it that we have another kicker that has moved in from south of the border. This one not
quite as far away as Argentina but he too has never played American football.

BwdLion73
06-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Rumor has it that we have another kicker that has moved in from south of the border. This one not
quite as far away as Argentina but he too has never played American football.

So when we say "ICE" the kicker it could have more than one meaning? :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
06-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Guessing they might be doing this for all SC finalists but still pretty cool.

Mustangs to be featured in DCTF commemorative edition

Sweetwater fans who simply can’t wait for the high school football season to start now have an additional enticement.
How’s this for an early treat: The summer edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine, which is scheduled to come out later this month, will be featuring Sweetwater’s 2016 team in a commemorative edition.
Pre-order payments for the magazine will be accepted in person at the Sweetwater High School field house between now and June 20. Persons who pre-order before June 20 will receive a reduced price. Persons may also order the commemorative edition after June 20.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/mustangs-be-featured-dctf-commemorative-edition

Sweetwater Red
06-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Guessing they might be doing this for all SC finalists but still pretty cool.

Mustangs to be featured in DCTF commemorative edition

Sweetwater fans who simply can’t wait for the high school football season to start now have an additional enticement.
How’s this for an early treat: The summer edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine, which is scheduled to come out later this month, will be featuring Sweetwater’s 2016 team in a commemorative edition.
Pre-order payments for the magazine will be accepted in person at the Sweetwater High School field house between now and June 20. Persons who pre-order before June 20 will receive a reduced price. Persons may also order the commemorative edition after June 20.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/mustangs-be-featured-dctf-commemorative-edition

Hmmm

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/Mustangs_1.jpg

nobogey72
06-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Maybe this new coach won't be afraid ..... I mean go back to scheduling Wylie :taunt::taunt:

Red Carpet
06-18-2017, 07:31 PM
And maybe y'all will schedule Desoto or Cedar Hill after the next alignment

slingshot
06-19-2017, 11:14 PM
And maybe y'all will schedule Desoto or Cedar Hill after the next alignment...and maybe y'all will quit beating up on 3A teams.

nobogey72
06-21-2017, 03:04 PM
And maybe y'all will schedule Desoto or Cedar Hill after the next alignment

You gotta admit that it's pretty ridiculous that schools 35 miles apart, in the same district in every other sport, don't play each other in football.

Sweetwater Red
06-21-2017, 03:59 PM
...and maybe y'all will quit beating up on 3A teams.

Who? Isn't he from Brownwood? They're schedule is solid. As for Sweetwater there are no
3A teams on our schedule unless you count the quality of football your district brothers - Snyder and Big Spring -
have been producing lately.

Sweetwater Red
06-21-2017, 04:03 PM
You gotta admit that it's pretty ridiculous that schools 35 miles apart, in the same district in every other sport, don't play each other in football.
You're preaching to the choir. I'm sure moms, dads and fans in general would much rather drive over to Abilene for a meaningless non district game than the Oklahoma border.

Our football team will travel 1,360 miles and 23 hours of driving this season.

Eagle1
06-28-2017, 02:47 PM
What was Sweetwater's JV like last year? I know they have some key pieces returning, but do they have pieces as good as what they lost to piece around them?

Phantom Stang
07-02-2017, 01:10 PM

Yep, and this is the post that puts me ahead:thumbsup:

WOS87
07-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Oh so it comes to this?

WOS87
07-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Yep, and this is the post that puts me ahead:thumbsup:

Is it though?

Phantom Stang
07-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Is it though?

Yes it was. The world will remember that on July 2nd 2017, unheralded Texas Downlow poster Phantom Stang, overtook the mighty WOS87 in post count, and held the lead for two hours and forty minutes.

WOS87
07-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Looks like you're probably holding it for a little longer than that until I start updating the histories. And you are greatly heralded by the way.

Phantom Stang
08-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Chris Thompson Ready To Take On Changes At Sweetwater

by Hunter Cooke
July 28

A crazy season for the Mustangs turned into a crazy offseason. They pushed all the way to the state championship, where they fell to a ridiculously talented West Orange-Stark squad, but put up a valiant fight. Head coach Shane Mobley left in January for Sealy, and Sweetwater brought in former Temple assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Ben McGehee to be the new head coach. Throughout all those tumultuous changes, Sweetwater will have to figure out how to build on that fantastic season with a new head coach and only ten total returning starters.

One of those starters is the incumbent quarterback, Chris Thompson. In a season filled with highlights, he provided a good chunk, passing for 3,170 yards and 34 touchdowns and rushing for 1,129 yards and 24 touchdowns. “As we moved through the playoffs, it got real fun,” said Thompson. “Everyone started jumping on the bandwagon. Basically the whole town got involved, it was awesome.”

The Mustangs might have had a frustrating end, but they were no joke in the earlier rounds of the playoffs. Before the title game, the Mustangs only scored under 40 points once, in a 38-14 win over Seminole. However, the Sweetwater offense didn’t score against WO-S, cornerback Luke James returned a fumble 95 yards to put the Mustangs on the board for the only time.
“They weren’t hyped up,” said Thompson. “They were the truth.”

Now, the Mustangs will face a new season with a new head coach and without some familiar faces. Luke James is a walk-on at Texas Tech, linebacker Hunter Mobley will be absent after graduating, and many others that fueled that run have graduated as well.

There’s still hope for the Mustangs, and it comes in the form of Thompson, who will still have stellar wide receiver Kobe Clark and hard-hitting Kiante McCoy as tools for the upcoming season.

“We lost a bunch of seniors, the younger guys are going to have to buy in,” said Thompson of the upcoming season. “We’re going to have to get into workouts, buy in, bond, and become a family.”

Sweetwater and Thompson will open the season on the road against Wichita Falls on September 1st.

http://texashsfootball.com/chris-thompson-ready-take-changes-sweetwater/

WOS87
08-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Good luck this Fall! Would love to see a rematch.