PDA

View Full Version : Dean Schaub promoted to New Waverlyu AD head football coaches position

Scoop27
05-17-2017, 12:19 PM
From the Huntsville Item

New Waverly has found its next head football coach and athletic director.

At Monday’s New Waverly ISD school board meeting, Bulldogs offensive coordinator and wrestling head coach Dean Schaub, who was an assistant football coach and wrestling head coach at Huntsville High School from the fall of 2011 through the spring of 2014, was approved to replace James Lane as the Bulldogs head football coach and athletic director.

“I’m excited about it,” Schaub said Tuesday. “It’s a position I’ve been ready for. It started back when I was at Killeen Ellison, my wife and I prayed about where to go and God sent us to Huntsville. Three years later, God brought us 10 miles south to New Waverly. Of all the jobs I’ve had, this has been a pretty special place for us. New Waverly really has a great reputation for its school district.

“It’s a place that when I got here three years ago, it really changed my opinion of coaching. To me — not that other schools aren’t — but it’s true coaching. It’s teaching kids and it’s been real rewarding for me.”

The position opened in early April when head coach and athletic director James Lane resigned to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

During Monday’s meeting, the New Waverly ISD school board voted to hire a candidate already on staff and approved Schaub with a 5-0 vote. Two board members abstained from voting.

“He’s been with the program and has been the offensive coordinator for three years,” New Waverly Superintendent Darol Hail said. “There was a lot of support for a person who’s been there. … Coach Schaub has come in and been a good part of our football team. He’s helped build up our program. As much as you want wins, you want high character. You can see his character in how he interacts with kids and trying to make them successful, whether it’s in academics or in sports.

“We looked at the process and the merits of the internal candidate with stability and promoting from within and an external candidate. There are good arguments either way.”

Schaub takes over a Bulldogs football team that went undefeated during district play last season to win an outright district championship.

Schaub knows it won’t be easy to replicate those results, especially with 15 seniors graduating including District 21-3A Division II MVP Roman Pray and Offensive Player of the Year Ja’Michael Williams.

“What we’ve been very fortunate to do this year is that we’ve run the same (offensive and defensive systems) since seventh grade,” Schaub said. “Our seventh- and eighth-graders know our formations and know what we run. A lot of the kids we have will be JV players we’ve moved up. If you know what you’re doing, that really helps.

“They understand our offensive philosophy. We’re going to run the football and move the chains. We’ll pass the football when it’s time to pass. We’ve got two running backs coming back, a fullback, most of our offensive line. Our defense looks very, very good. These kids have some big shoes to fill, but they’ve got experience.

“Football-wise, we’ve got size. Our strength is not where I want it to be, but we’re headed in the right direction. One thing we’re going to have is speed. We are going to have to run at every position. One goal that we’re going to have is to have speed.”

Schaub, who ran the Bulldogs’ offense the past three seasons, will be looking to bring in new offensive and defensive coordinators.

Additionally, Schaub said that while he still will have a role on the wrestling coaching staff, he is handing more responsibility to coach Cody Bloom during the upcoming season.

“I was really fortunate last year to have Coach Bloom. He’s going to take more of a leadership role this year,” Schaub said. “Since my son (Dyson) is going to be a senior, I’m still going to be a part of the wrestling program. We really haven’t sat down and lined all that out. He’s going to be here and I’m going to be here. The transition will be good because the styles of Coach Bloom and myself are similar.”

Schaub also plans on trying to have New Waverly boys and girls compete in multiple sports, like Williams and Pray, a four-event qualifier at the state track and field meet, did this year.