PDA

View Full Version : Injury Info

Green Ranger
11-16-2003, 10:26 PM
This has been posted before and want to make sure this is understood. Releasing medical updates without permission of that person is illegal. So please, no details in future players. It is possibly harmful to their future.

GWOOD
11-16-2003, 10:29 PM
That makes sense to me and point well taken. I will edit post.

Bandera YaYa
11-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Green Ranger:
This has been posted before and want to make sure this is understood. Releasing medical updates without permission of that person is illegal. So please, no details in future players. It is possibly harmful to their future....how so??

Green Ranger
11-16-2003, 10:39 PM
One you can check HIPPA laws or you can check your PM's

Bandera YaYa
11-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Ok thanks....just asking...

Green Ranger
11-16-2003, 10:47 PM
I am not trying to be rude about things, but Dawson is a good friend and I know people wish him well, but it is the law and just trying to inform everybody.

Chief Woodman
11-16-2003, 11:52 PM
I am not sure you are correct. The law applies to health care service providers and employers. If the young man or his parents have shared this info verbaly or written with ANYONE other than their health care providers or legal council...then that shared info is NOT protected under the law, excepting that the health care workers connot release any further info than what the patient or parent released. At least that is what our city attorney and the Texas Department of Health taught us just last week in HIPPA training.

So..if the info on this young mans injury was spoken by either himself or his parents to ANYONE (including a coach or friend) other than the above mentioned people, then they have no legal complaint under that law concerning its public discussions.

District303aPastPlayer
11-17-2003, 12:20 AM
yeah, what he said

Greenwood Teach
11-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Just a question here. Just because something might not be illegal, can it still be wrong?

Green Ranger
11-17-2003, 07:43 AM
It is not HIPPA that applies to schools, I believe it is FERPA. Any regardless if the young man states to a coach or a friend, for them to turn around and publish it on here to tell a paper without that persons permission is illegal.

Chief Woodman
11-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Green Ranger:
It is not HIPPA that applies to schools, I believe it is FERPA. Any regardless if the young man states to a coach or a friend, for them to turn around and publish it on here to tell a paper without that persons permission is illegal.Not true. Might be unethical, but not illegal. Once they tell someone other than family or those who are by law bound to never tell (Health care or legal advisor) it is considered part of public domain. It is that exact standard that is used to determine law suits involving right to privacy. Once it is in the public domain, all bets are off. For example, once you tell someone you have AIDS or you go in public and state this, you cannot win a lawsuit saying someone invaded your privacy. You gave up that right when you told on yourself. At least that is what the Texas State Attorney General has ruled along with numerous court cases that lead to the passage of these laws.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>