PDA

View Full Version : Signing Day

OLE'BULL
02-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Nothing?

Bellville Brahmas

Mac Briscoe, RB, signed with McNeese St. today. They are fortunate to get him and I am sure he will be a forced to be reckoned with. I can't for the life of me understand how he didn't get any bigger offers. Full scholarship.

Dylan Jackson, LB, signed with Southwest Assembly of God (SAGU). Another steal but he played injured all year and it really hurt his production. Partial scholarship.

Clayton Stallones, RB, also signed with SAGU today. Hard working kid and tough as nails. Partial scholarship, less than Jackson.

Good luck Brahmas, make us proud!

mwrams
02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Mineral Wells had 8 players sign today.

Kaine Carraway to the University of Central Oklahoma
Andy Garcia to Howard Payne
Tristan Perry to Texas A&M-Commerce
Jordan Duckett to Navarro
AJ Lentz to Cisco
Stefon Sandoval to Cisco
Johnny Morales to Hardin Simmons
Trent Guinn to Southern Nazarene

MJMbrahmas10
02-01-2017, 03:13 PM
With Mac the only thing I can figure out is the system we run hurt his value. But I think he would have done that in any system. And also surprised about Dylan. All year I heard Abilene Christian.

YTBulldogs
02-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Yoakum

Ethan Owens signs with Mary Hardin-Baylor.

FB-fanatic
02-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Nothing?

Bellville Brahmas

Mac Briscoe, RB, signed with McNeese St. today. They are fortunate to get him and I am sure he will be a forced to be reckoned with. I can't for the life of me understand how he didn't get any bigger offers. Full scholarship.

Dylan Jackson, LB, signed with Southwest Assembly of God (SAGU). Another steal but he played injured all year and it really hurt his production. Partial scholarship.

Clayton Stallones, RB, also signed with SAGU today. Hard working kid and tough as nails. Partial scholarship, less than Jackson.

Good luck Brahmas, make us proud!

Having been down that road with DII and DII, schools like SAGU, HPU, TLU cannot offer any athletic scholarships. What they typically do is knock some off the "sticker price", which is the listed price very few pay, and try to offer some academic discounts. Also, at DIII, you are not actually signing any type of contract to play, you are simply signing your NCAA eligibility card. Again, after some deep thought on behalf my son, nothing keeps DIII's from telling 300 young men "you the man" and you will play, but then having an open tryout at the beginning of the season and telling a kid "sorry, you're out".

mwrams
02-02-2017, 05:12 AM
Having been down that road with DII and DII, schools like SAGU, HPU, TLU cannot offer any athletic scholarships. What they typically do is knock some off the "sticker price", which is the listed price very few pay, and try to offer some academic discounts. Also, at DIII, you are not actually signing any type of contract to play, you are simply signing your NCAA eligibility card. Again, after some deep thought on behalf my son, nothing keeps DIII's from telling 300 young men "you the man" and you will play, but then having an open tryout at the beginning of the season and telling a kid "sorry, you're out".

Division II schools do offer athletic scholarships.

Blue42
02-02-2017, 05:29 AM

You are 100% correct went through this with my oldest had about 10 offers from D3 "Coupon schools" and one D2 school that would pay some but it was in Oklahoma. We made sure that we took care of him years ago have Texas tomorrow fund and lots of money put away when he was young he will graduate in December from Texas State with no loans and will actually have enough in his account to put a down payment on a house.
I am already working on my youngest as he will be making up his mind next year told him I will pay all if he goes to a school that the Texas tomorrow pays for and he can play football there but if he chooses a school that is not covered to play ball he will have to come up with the rest hope he will be smart like his older brother. Not knocking the D2 D3 schools but it is what it is and this needs to be considered when a kid is making a choice .
PS I have seen parents spend thousands going all over the country to play offseason ball telling me it gets them exposure and it may and if your kid and you enjoyed it,its worth it but there is no guarantee its going to get them a scholarship. I put money in the bank and took my kids hunting and fishing if they have the drive and ability I believe it will come out when they play in High School.

OLE'BULL
02-02-2017, 07:30 AM

Yep I am well aware of the differences, it's still considered a scholarship by definition. I didn't want to take away from the fact that they were getting these discounts, aid, payment, etc. because the school wants them to play football. Like you said, the main difference (besides the amount of money of course) is they are not signing a National Letter of Intent. They can change their minds a month from now and go somewhere else. I have mixed feelings on playing football at the D III schools and I have heard mixed experiences. It's great for kids who have zero chance of getting in to college otherwise and for kids who absolutely love the game and just want to keep playing. I refuse to accept financial constraints as a legitimate excuse for not going to college if you truly want to. Financial aid and student loans are readily available, though I'm not implying that option is a guaranteed route to success either. You still have to be motivated once you graduate, the money doesn't just start pouring in. The problem is a lot of them get there and realize it's not the same. Either they aren't as good as they thought or they don't love the game anymore. No what do you do? Keep playing and be miserable? Quit football but stay at the school in a town that isn't that appealing without the sports aspect? Drop out? Who knows what the right choice is but it's a tough one for 18 year olds to make when deciding whether to try it out or not. Kids should commit to the school (academics, location, campus, etc.) first, then the team, and lastly the coach. Would you still be happy here if the football program was shut down, you were injured and couldn't play anymore, or the whole coaching staff changed the week after you reported? If you can answer yes then go for it, if not, then you may want to take a step back. Don't get wrapped up in the "glamour" of recruiting and these Signing Day celebrations at your high school gym. Think 20, 30, 40 years ahead and do what you think is smart, not "cool". I did and it paid off. Sometimes the glamorous football schools aren't always the best route for your life after ball. I was fortunate to get a full ride but played at a smaller D-1 school that provides the best college education you can get in this fine state. I hope for the best but my guess is Stallones won't stay long because he won't enjoy it and may not play as much as he would like, though I'm one of his biggest fans. Jackson will dominate that league but wont like Waxahachie, just a guess. I could see him doing well enough to transfer to a D-1 or D-2 school though. Getting healthy will be his priority and if he could just grow another 3-5 inches he would be a big time prospect.

OLE'BULL
02-02-2017, 07:38 AM
With Mac the only thing I can figure out is the system we run hurt his value. But I think he would have done that in any system. And also surprised about Dylan. All year I heard Abilene Christian.

Yep he would have succeeded in a different offense probably more than he did in ours. I've seen great backs and still think he is up there. He had a great frame with room to bulk up to the ideal RB size and was as tough of runner up the gut as I have seen. He could have played at SMU, Texas St. Rice, etc., no doubt. I think he ended up Academic All District so I don't think grades held him back. I think he didn't get noticed in time. He should have hit the mini camp circuit this past summer after having a great Junior year, maybe he did? I'm sure colleges didn't like to see him not playing basketball this year either, especially the way I hear it kind of went down. They love multi sport athletes. I don't think ACU ever ended up offering Dylan. That damn ankle/leg injury really had him playing at 60-70% at best starting about week 2. I feel for him because he has been a four year starter with off the charts production. You also won't find a harder working kid on the team. SAGU struck gold with him, he will do great.

duckhunter
02-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Prarie View is a fine school ;) ole bull

Rabid Cougar
02-02-2017, 01:33 PM
QB Haigood - Navarro Junior College
LB Fulp- North Texas
OL Harris - UMHB

Hated, absolutely hated the recruitment process. Baylor was the worst. Had the boy come back three times to their "camps"; in essence try out camps. Sat and talked to him for hours. It was between him and another DE from Dallas. They offered the other DE. The kid never made it past the freshman year and never stepped foot on the field. It was for the best though. The boy went to North Texas and played four years and started 33 games Soph thru Senior years (missed three games his Junior year due to injury). And awesome experience not only for him but also for his family. I am forever grateful to North Texas for that.

If you don't believe that there is stereotyping in college football, think again. Mike Hicks , at the time the second leading receiver in Texas high school history and probably the most feared Safety in Central Texas had not one offer. Not even from DII or DIII schools. Briles was visiting Bell one day and Bell point blank asked why didn't he recruit Hicks. Briles asked one question "is he smart?" (SMH) Bell called Hicks to his office and Briles asked Hicks to diagram certain coverages. Hick's did it to a "T". That was Baylor's recruitment of Hicks. He was the starting Safety for 4 years. Beat out a recruit his sophomore year that was rated as the No. 6 Safety in the country in the NFL draft once Hicks left.

coach
02-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Fairfield had 3 guys going to UMHB

Terrance Rischer - DT
Akeem Jackson - OLB
Aaron Pfleeger - DT

Rabid Cougar
02-02-2017, 06:28 PM
QB Haigood - Navarro Junior College
LB Fulp- North Texas
OL Harris - UMHB

Hated, absolutely hated the recruitment process. Baylor was the worst. Had the boy come back three times to their "camps"; in essence try out camps. Sat and talked to him for hours. It was between him and another DE from Dallas. They offered the other DE. The kid never made it past the freshman year and never stepped foot on the field. It was for the best though. The boy went to North Texas and played four years and started 33 games Soph thru Senior years (missed three games his Junior year due to injury). And awesome experience not only for him but also for his family. I am forever grateful to North Texas for that.

If you don't believe that there is stereotyping in college football, think again. Mike Hicks , at the time the second leading receiver in Texas high school history and probably the most feared Safety in Central Texas had not one offer. Not even from DII or DIII schools. Briles was visiting Bell one day and Bell point blank asked why didn't he recruit Hicks. Briles asked one question "is he smart?" (SMH) Bell called Hicks to his office and Briles asked Hicks to diagram certain coverages. Hick's did it to a "T". That was Baylor's recruitment of Hicks. He was the starting Safety for 4 years. Beat out a recruit his sophomore year that was rated as the No. 6 Safety in the country in the NFL draft once Hicks left.

RB Dudik- Navarro JC
OL Oliver - UMHB

FB-fanatic
02-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Cole Baker QB - Lorena - Blinn

5'-11" 190 lbs
2784 yds passing 761 rushing
88.4 QB rating

FB-fanatic
02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
RB Dudik- Navarro JC
OL Oliver - UMHB

BTW, why has UMHB not gone DII yet?

Rabid Cougar
02-03-2017, 11:24 AM
BTW, why has UMHB not gone DII yet?

Biggest difference I have found is scheduling. Football and Basketball teams must play at least 50 percent of their games against Division II or Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) or Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) opponents. No such requirement in DIII.

SaltySixes
02-03-2017, 12:57 PM
http://seguingazette.com/sports/article_ac81f658-e96a-11e6-b31c-ff7278c39bd8.html?mode=jqm

Navarro is sending 6 to Howard Panye, and 1 to A&M Kingsville, with a few more that havent made their desicions yet.

Rabid Cougar
02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Lavega

Kedrick James - Alabama
Jamun Guilford -Tarleton State
Sir Morgan Loudd - Texas A&M Commerce
Baylon Ware - UT Permian Basin
Fred Rogers - UMHB
Henry Dawnson - Cisco

slingshot
02-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Wylie:

DT Dion Novil -- UNT
OL Kade Parmelly -- ACU
OLB Brayden Ward -- Hardin Simmons
RB Brooks Pepper -- Hardin Simmons
S Cameron Hanna -- Hardin Simmons

...those are the ones I remember, there are a couple of others.

buckeyebob
02-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Next Level of Competition for the Buckeyes:

Kelton Collier A&M Commerce
Kollin Hurt Louisiana Tech.
Dimitri Fort ETBU
Kameryn Cuevas Southern Arkansas
Landry Henson Lousiana College
Lamarcus Morton Oklahoma State

Great job

ECBirdFan
02-06-2017, 09:45 AM
El Campo had three signees this year:

Wesley Arrambide (WR) Texas A&M Kingsville
Dedrick Holloway (S) Texas A&M Kingsville
Micah Mc Comb (OT) Lamar University

BlueBleeder3
02-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Decatur had 2 signees:

Payton McAlister (RB) Florida Tech
Terry Hogan(OL) Missouri Valley College

You want to talk about getting a steal!
Payton McAlister had video game stats:
Sr. Year = 3,050 yds and 42 TD's
Carrer = 7,200 yds and 85 TD's

I bet if you ask almost anyone who saw this kid play in high school they would tell you what a beast he was. This is a great example of athlete stereotyping affecting recruiting. If this kid was not a white kid playing RB I think he probably signs D1 somewhere. He had several D2 offers but none in Texas (unbelievable). I predict in a few years there will be several Texas schools looking real bad for not signing this kid and somebody down in Florida is going to look like a genius.

SaltySixes
02-07-2017, 07:32 PM
I feel your pain, college football recruiting is not fair in the slightest. Very often, great players dont get thier dues. This is just another one of these cases.