PDA

View Full Version : Former Bellville Coach Retires

OLE'BULL
01-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Big congratulations to one of the finest man and leader I know. Former Brahma coach Huey Chancellor has decided to retire from coaching. He was a special coach and I am so fortunate to have learned so much about overcoming adversity, hard work, leadership and life from Coach. Good luck staying out of mama C's hair, time to hop on the Harley and hit the road!

duckhunter
01-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Big congratulations to one of the finest man and leader I know. Former Brahma coach Huey Chancellor has decided to retire from coaching. He was a special coach and I am so fortunate to have learned so much about overcoming adversity, hard work, leadership and life from Coach. Good luck staying out of mama C's hair, time to hop on the Harley and hit the road!

is he staying in edna, or moving back to Bellville? Hard to imagine him retiring this early...I expected him to coach at least ten more years.

Scoop27
01-20-2017, 02:12 PM
From the Victoria Advocate

Huey Chancellor had just gotten into his truck after announcing his decision to retire as Edna's athletic director and head football coach on Thursday when he received a call from an athlete he coached at Rockport-Fulton.

The caller told Chancellor how much he had meant to him and how he helped shape his life in a positive manner.

"I don't really know what to expect," Chancellor said. "I love kids and I love coaching. I've been in it almost my whole life."

Chancellor, who will turn 57 in February, is stepping down after 33 years in coaching, including 25 years as a head coach.

Chancellor has been at Edna for three seasons, during which he led the Cowboys to six playoff wins and an appearance in the 2014 Class 3A, Division I semifinals.

"It was a great experience," Chancellor said. "I really enjoyed coaching here. We won some games we shouldn't have won, and we probably lost some games we shouldn't have lost. We had high expectations and most of those expectations we put on ourselves."

Chancellor has been battling ongoing problems with his feet and recently had knee surgery, which led to his decision to leave coaching.

"Coaching like he does puts a lot of wear and tear on your body," said Robert O'Connor, superintendent of the Edna school district. "I think he decided it was time for a new chapter. We had a really great run with him here. We're very satisfied with what happened."

Edna has begun advertising the position and O'Connor hopes to have it filled by March.

When Chancellor took over at Edna before the 2014 season, the Cowboys hadn't won a playoff game since 2009 and hadn't been outright district champions since 1991.

Edna accomplished both feats by Chancellor's second season.

"I'm not a historian, but they wanted me to do a couple of things when I came here," Chancellor said. "I thought coach (Mike) Pierce had done a good job and I was looking to add on to what he did. We were able to work some magic and have things go our way."

Chancellor worked as an assistant at Odessa Permian, his alma mater, El Campo and Bellville.

He was a head coach at Cibola in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Palacios, Bellville, Longview Pine Tree, Rockport-Fulton and Edna.

He had an overall record of 164-123 and went 23-16 at Edna.

Chancellor's most successful season at Edna was 2014.

The Cowboys advanced to the semifinals for the first time since 1991 before losing to eventual state champion Cameron Yoe.

Edna's playoff run was marred by the death of sophomore lineman Noah Ortiz, who died in a fire along with his two sisters and two of his brothers.

"There are a lot of things in coaching you deal with on a daily basis that people don't realize," Chancellor said. "Those things take a toll on you."

Chancellor's wife, Dana, teaches and is the girls golf coach at Edna.

Huey Chancellor hopes to remain with the school district in another role.

"It's been on my mind for a while," Chancellor said. "I had a serious talk with my wife about it. I just felt now was the time. We're very happy here. They've been very good to me here."

XMan
01-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Pancho villa or coach to be the Nuevo vaquero leader. O'Connor married a bellville girl and coached at sealy with tj. Maybe he can get some more Austin county blood down in Jackson county.

zebrablue2
01-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Coach Chancellor is a good man, and a great leader. He left it all on the field, that's for sure. I wish him all the best in his retirement!!!