PDA

View Full Version : Head Football coach and A.d at Liberty Hill announces retirement

solocam
01-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Jerry Vance announced his retirement this morning,Thanks for the memories Coach,and I hope you enjoy your retirement,

LHPfactory
01-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Thank You Coach Jerry Vance. Its worth a few words to reflect upon what you have accomplished in Liberty Hill.
When you arrived in Liberty Hill back in 2001 you inherited a program without the tradition and pride we now come to expect. In fact the only winning era in 104 years is yours. Liberty Hills record was heavily on the losing side since1913, however, has increased greatly with your 155 wins (now: 334-414-24). We were treated to the Gordon Wood award (worst to first) in 2003 and then in 2004 we saw the rise of the run to day light trio leaving the state THUNDERSTRUCK!!!! A couple years later You led Liberty Hill to Back to Back State Championships. We have also been treated to 5 trips to the State Semi Finals. It has been one hell of an experience to see the rise of a program as Liberty Hill is now a perennial power, we are referred to by a friend of mine from Lampasas as the Odessa Permian of Central Texas, hated but respected. Excellance in all Liberty Hill sports programs with our young men and women are a driect reflection of you as an Athletic Director.
Aside from all of the success that you had here, I want to thank you for your time. I could tell with out a doubt with how you responded to the needs of my oldest son and putting his worth as much more than a football player that you truly care about these young men. It was also evidenced what they think of you when my Sophomore ​ called me today choked up about the news, however, thankful that he had the opportunity to play for you on Friday Nights this past fall. The impact on young men like these is where the real wins are tallied. Its the relationships and how you influence these young men that really count for something in the end. Great Carreer, Thank You Sir, YOU LEAVE VERY BIG SHOES TO FILL.

Weebe
01-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Do they promote from within?

Is Fedora still without work?

Aesculus gilmus
01-17-2017, 06:05 PM
I don't think he wants to return to high school coaching and I doubt if you could afford him, but as far as I know Jeff Traylor still lives within easy driving distance of Liberty Hill.

bobcat1
01-17-2017, 07:10 PM
He was a heck of a coach from all I know. Best of luck to him!

XMan
01-17-2017, 09:31 PM
They need to find another slot t mafia guru. I think bellville runs the slot t pretty well.

Weebe
01-17-2017, 10:18 PM
They need to find another slot t mafia guru. I think bellville runs the slot t pretty well.

Navarro?

WOS87
01-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Yes! More slot t please :evilgrin:

Not that LH and WOS would ever meet up unless some major changes occurred in enrollments.

LH Panther Mom
01-18-2017, 05:57 AM
I can't say I'm surprised, but am saddened. Even though all my kids are out of school, Friday nights won't be the same.

I remember when he first came, in the Spring of 2001. He had only been here a couple of days when my oldest, Chris, came home from school. He was a sophomore and was telling me about his day & filling me on on the new coach. He had a look of bewilderment on his face when he told me that Jerry had told the boys that he would have them in the playoffs, maybe not the next season, but by 2002 season. They had only heard daily how badly they sucked from previous HC, so it was hard for them to believe. Low and behold, they went 5-5 that first season, which was HUGE, since we had been a 'basketball' school forever. And if the cards had played out right (I think we needed a Llano win & they lost lol), we would've made the playoffs that year. He was a Senior when they won the Gordon Wood award. Basketball games were cancelled because of the playoffs. We only had 33 Varsity football players & all the basketball team played FB.

Fast forward a handful of years and we had back-to-back state championships (still miss watching you mow people down, Brandon!). And Jerry got his 150th win at LH this fall. It's been a heck of a ride, Coach! And I am extremely proud to have had all 3 of my boys play for you. You helped them become better young men. You will be missed.

lostaussie
01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Y'all gonna get someone who has learned the concept of a forward pass:D

But really, congratulations to Coach Vance. He certainly did one heck of a job at LH:clap::clap:

SaltySixes
01-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Navarro?

I dont see coach Goad leaving Navarro anytime soon! Imo...

panfan
01-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks to Coach Vance for his years of service and dedication to LH. A lot of young men came through his program and are better for it, including my son. While we didn't get a SC in 2014, we got pretty durn close, and while a lot of it has to do with players, as much or more has to do with coaches and what they do to inspire those players to give it their all. Thanks Coach.

panfan
01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Far as who they get to replace Vance - someone with an eye on the future and what it will take to be competitive in a 5a division, since in all likelihood, we will be 5a in about another year.

toddg
01-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Far as who they get to replace Vance - someone with an eye on the future and what it will take to be competitive in a 5a division, since in all likelihood, we will be 5a in about another year.hire a Katy assistant and run the "I" versital offense, easy to pass out of..:)

10ForTheWin
01-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Navarro?

I think Goad worked for Vance? I may be wrong, but Goad did work there before, I don't see him going back lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Y'all gonna get someone who has learned the concept of a forward pass:D

Didn't need it in 2007. ;)

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2017, 08:14 PM
I think Goad worked for Vance? I may be wrong, but Goad did work there before, I don't see him going back lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, he was here.

pancho villa
01-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Hire Robert Draper

zebrablue2
01-21-2017, 09:24 AM
I had the opportunity to work two of Coach Vance's playoff games in the last 5-7 years, and he is a class coach. I also worked a playoff game at Liberty Hill a couple of years ago and dressed in their locker room. All the teams goals were listed in there , so the kids knew where they came from and where they were going. Very organized coach, and I respect all he stood for, wish we had many more like him. He graded our crew with an A in a playoff loss last year, and said we did a great job. Many coaches would find fault in us for their loss, but not this man, he told it like it was. Gonna miss you coach, hope you mentor some of the young guys when they call, I know they will. Happy retirement to a CLASS ACT!!!

Matthew328
01-22-2017, 09:28 PM
I would be stunned if Liberty Hill stayed in house or stayed with the Slot-T....the move up to 5A IMO is what is really pushing this move....hopefully the split division deal passes....cant see the Slot-T working out real well against the likes of Cedar Park

LHPfactory
01-23-2017, 09:41 AM
I would be stunned if Liberty Hill stayed in house or stayed with the Slot-T....the move up to 5A IMO is what is really pushing this move....hopefully the split division deal passes....cant see the Slot-T working out real well against the likes of Cedar Park

Few schools do well vs Cedar Park or Aledo, however, I found a very interesting trend in 5A:

The smallest 25% of the 262 schools in 5A do not perform very well in general. There is only 1 stand out program in the smallest 25% and that is Calallen. They are unique in that they are a Wing-T based program with some spread sets. The spread, which is run predominantly through out the bottom 65 schools and 5A in general, however it doesn't fare well at all for the small programs. Trying to beat schools twice your size with the same system they run doesn't make much sense to me. Its notable that LH has fared very well vs 5A and 6A schools with our system.

Im betting on our kids, we are not rich in kids with the D1 metrics, but we are very wealthy with kids that have the intangibles, that's where greatness dwells, that's what makes LH great. The right Man for the Job will bring this out in our kids. I hope we don't miss the forest for the trees in this one.....

XMan
01-23-2017, 09:55 AM

How dare you slander the slot t! Look for the mafia to be after you shortly. The only chance the falcons have of beating the patriots is to install the slot t in the next 2 weeks. There is only one offense, and it is the south Texas slot t!

Dawgs
01-23-2017, 10:26 AM
The smallest 25% of the 262 schools in 5A do not perform very well in general. There is only 1 stand out program in the smallest 25% and that is Calallen. They are unique in that they are a Wing-T based program with some spread sets. The spread, which is run predominantly through out the bottom 65 schools and 5A in general, however it doesn't fare well at all for the small programs. Trying to beat schools twice your size with the same system they run doesn't make much sense to me.

This is a very good point. It got me to thinking about East Texas 5a and how bad they are. All of the schools with the exception of 2 are in the bottom 25%. They all run the spread, and none of them have success. It's going to be a tough road for LH in the higher classification, but I like your thinking on this. You gotta do something different to give your self a chance to compete.

panfan
01-23-2017, 11:31 AM
This is a very good point. It got me to thinking about East Texas 5a and how bad they are. All of the schools with the exception of 2 are in the bottom 25%. They all run the spread, and none of them have success. It's going to be a tough road for LH in the higher classification, but I like your thinking on this. You gotta do something different to give your self a chance to compete.

They can make the T work at a higher level if they can get Walker to come back as OC. He is/was a much more dynamic (i.e., changing) play caller than Draper. Don't get me wrong, I like Draper, he is fine man and good coach, but as the OC he gets conservative and predictable when things get tough, instead of taking more risks and being unpredictable. The T combined with some different formations to pass (and no I don't mean every freaking play be a play action role out pass with the qb on the run) can and should be very effective.

If they hire in from outside, which is a very real probability, we need a run/pass oriented coach, dynamic play caller who is willing to think outside the box, is willing to adapt to the players he has instead of implementing a system that he doesn't have player power to execute. We simply don't have the athletes to run a high powered spread type offense.

I've heard they may consider splitting the AD/HC into two positions - I am personally for it, as the district grows, having an AD who can really administer to all sports is what is needed. Anybody have any thoughts - practical experience where AD is not football HC, or is simply just the AD?

Matthew328
01-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Liberty Hill's biggest problem in moving up is location they will be surrounded by schools twice their size..that's a huge hurdle to climb...north Austin 5A is very tough...look at Dripping Springs...they escape North Austin move to Region IV and go to the quarters...Rouse drops from 6A and finished 5th in that district...its a grind...split division would help a TON...I just dont think running the Slot-T against elite large school 5A opponents week in and week out will work...

LHPfactory
01-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Liberty Hill's biggest problem in moving up is location they will be surrounded by schools twice their size..that's a huge hurdle to climb...north Austin 5A is very tough...look at Dripping Springs...they escape North Austin move to Region IV and go to the quarters...Rouse drops from 6A and finished 5th in that district...its a grind...split division would help a TON...I just dont think running the Slot-T against elite large school 5A opponents week in and week out will work...

I have faith in our kids and our system, Ive been coaching them for the past 12 years in youth and 7on7 and they will be just fine. You will see Matt.

PS Dripping Springs is on the rise and is growing. DS should continue what they started this season.

Matthew328
01-24-2017, 07:24 AM
I've been wrong before so we'll see...but I dont believe LH will be hiring a Slot-T coach....I do believe they'll move to a more multiple offense

Drip is certainly an improving program but their rise was accelerated in a major way by moving out of north Austin and out of Region III, that being said Dripping Springs was totally over-matched when they got to Round 4 against a good large 5A program...if they stayed in Region III they are fighting for 3rd or 4th place with a gaggle of other teams and they are facing really tough teams early in the playoffs...the grind wears on teams with less depth...thats why those larger schools in 5A have such a big edge.....I'm a big proponent of split divisions in 5A it would be a huge leveling of the playing field....

LHPfactory
01-24-2017, 10:33 AM
I've been wrong before so we'll see...but I dont believe LH will be hiring a Slot-T coach....I do believe they'll move to a more multiple offense

Drip is certainly an improving program but their rise was accelerated in a major way by moving out of north Austin and out of Region III, that being said Dripping Springs was totally over-matched when they got to Round 4 against a good large 5A program...if they stayed in Region III they are fighting for 3rd or 4th place with a gaggle of other teams and they are facing really tough teams early in the playoffs...the grind wears on teams with less depth...thats why those larger schools in 5A have such a big edge.....I'm a big proponent of split divisions in 5A it would be a huge leveling of the playing field....

I agree on the depth and the toll it takes on small programs.

Yes I hope they need to implement the Split Division in 5A, There are 262 schools and over 1000 student difference (double) in enrollment from the largest vs the smallest.

panfan
01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
I have faith in our kids and our system, Ive been coaching them for the past 12 years in youth and 7on7 and they will be just fine. You will see Matt.

PS Dripping Springs is on the rise and is growing. DS should continue what they started this season.

They will not hire a Slot T only coach in LH going forward. I'm also fairly certain they will not hire from within. Look at the new principal for the HS - he came from a 6a school in Houston, used to dealing with all kinds of stuff we here in LH only read about at big schools. That is a hire with an eye on the future and I don't see it being any different for the HC and AD if they keep them together as one position. I'm sure Vance will be sitting in on the interview process to help them find who replaces him, and he will be looking for a more balance offensive scheme, which may include the T, but not solely based on it. He will be looking for someone who knows hwo to build a successful program and weather the growing pains that are sure to come.

Dawgs
01-24-2017, 11:16 AM
I've heard they may consider splitting the AD/HC into two positions - I am personally for it, as the district grows, having an AD who can really administer to all sports is what is needed. Anybody have any thoughts - practical experience where AD is not football HC, or is simply just the AD?

I think this works in very large districts that can still afford to pay the HC an above average salary. For smaller districts I think it doesn't work unless you're not looking to get an elite football coach, and you want all sports to be equal. Football is king in Carthage for instance. There is no way people would want it split. Even if Surratt doesn't win another game in any other sports, people would still not be for it. This might not be correct, but it's the way it is. Football is 1st. And based on what Surratt makes we have to have him as the AD. No way we could pay 2 people, and still cover Surratt's salary. For other places that think differently, sure it will work. LH might be one of those places. But I don't think you will get an elite football coach without giving them both titles.

LHPfactory
01-24-2017, 11:42 AM
They will not hire a Slot T only coach in LH going forward. I'm also fairly certain they will not hire from within. Look at the new principal for the HS - he came from a 6a school in Houston, used to dealing with all kinds of stuff we here in LH only read about at big schools. That is a hire with an eye on the future and I don't see it being any different for the HC and AD if they keep them together as one position. I'm sure Vance will be sitting in on the interview process to help them find who replaces him, and he will be looking for a more balance offensive scheme, which may include the T, but not solely based on it. He will be looking for someone who knows hwo to build a successful program and weather the growing pains that are sure to come.

Like I previously said, the smallest 25 percent in 5A are largely losing programs, they by in large run the spread, That system is not the magic bullet. Heck, even Cedar Park got a dose of reality when they finally went D1 in the 5A play offs this year.

I agree on the need to expand the system, but if we jump to a completely new system and make the bump at the same time, it will be a disaster and the new coach would leave in 2-3 years with the pride, tradition, and program absolutely in ruin, LH would become a homecoming team again.

This brings us to the reason I care so much about this decision: If not handled correctly it will hurt the kids who have worked so hard over the years most of all. These kids come in before school and work out, work out during athletic period, and then stay after to work out, their dedication is second to none. This is who we must think of first, the incoming Juniors and Seniors do not deserve to be the sacrificial offering with the implementation of an entirely new system in hopes that it helps Liberty Hill when we have 1700 kids instead of the current 1090 in LHHS.

I also agree that we need some new life, some spark. Best case scenario is Coach Walker taking the reigns. If this is a possibility, all other options are second choice compared to this.

panfan
01-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Like I previously said, the smallest 25 percent in 5A are largely losing programs, they by in large run the spread, That system is not the magic bullet. Heck, even Cedar Park got a dose of reality when they finally went D1 in the 5A play offs this year.

I agree on the need to expand the system, but if we jump to a completely new system and make the bump at the same time, it will be a disaster and the new coach would leave in 2-3 years with the pride, tradition, and program absolutely in ruin, LH would become a homecoming team again.

This brings us to the reason I care so much about this decision: If not handled correctly it will hurt the kids who have worked so hard over the years most of all. These kids come in before school and work out, work out during athletic period, and then stay after to work out, their dedication is second to none. This is who we must think of first, the incoming Juniors and Seniors do not deserve to be the sacrificial offering with the implementation of an entirely new system in hopes that it helps Liberty Hill when we have 1700 kids instead of the current 1090 in LHHS.

I also agree that we need some new life, some spark. Best case scenario is Coach Walker taking the reigns. If this is a possibility, all other options are second choice compared to this.

Don't confuse what I mentioned above as what I want to happen with what I expect will logically happen. There are no magical bullets and change is inevitable. I won't disagree with your stats or with the notion that a spread run poorly because you don't have the jimmy's and joes is just a bad offense, thus is by no means a cure. But this district is growing and will continue to grow, thus I firmly believe they will be selecting a coach for the future, and it won't be one that advocates solely a run based ONLY offensive scheme, whether it be a Slot T, and Wind T, triple option, etc.

Now what I would like to see happen is for the district to not grow, stay in 4A which is highly competitive and not turn into another cedar park or Leander, but I simply don't think that is going to happen.

LHPfactory
01-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Don't confuse what I mentioned above as what I want to happen with what I expect will logically happen. There are no magical bullets and change is inevitable. I won't disagree with your stats or with the notion that a spread run poorly because you don't have the jimmy's and joes is just a bad offense, thus is by no means a cure. But this district is growing and will continue to grow, thus I firmly believe they will be selecting a coach for the future, and it won't be one that advocates solely a run based ONLY offensive scheme, whether it be a Slot T, and Wind T, triple option, etc.

Now what I would like to see happen is for the district to not grow, stay in 4A which is highly competitive and not turn into another cedar park or Leander, but I simply don't think that is going to happen.

Im confident our School Board and Superintendent will handle this very well.

Ive spent a lot of time with the kids in the middle of this and I think of them as my Football Children, so I want them to be equipped for success.

I actually like the idea of them being challenged with 5A football, even though just like you I would prefer Liberty Hill staying a small town. I don't ever want to became a Lake Travis/Aledo move in program. I still like the Coach Vance saying "Dance with who brung ya"....

I know my Football Children will rise up with relentless resolve and respond with high performance.

LH Panther Mom
01-25-2017, 10:49 PM
I know what I would like to see, but not necessarily at the head honcho level. Unfortunately, one thinks it would be "weird" and the other has goals of a higher level.

Did Mrs. Cobb ever retire? Maybe that might change the higher level thoughts. ;)

LHPfactory
01-25-2017, 11:03 PM
I know what I would like to see, but not necessarily at the head honcho level. Unfortunately, one thinks it would be "weird" and the other has goals of a higher level.

Did Mrs. Cobb ever retire? Maybe that might change the higher level thoughts. ;)

:confused: Whaaaaat ?
PM me the translation....lol

panfan
01-26-2017, 11:20 AM

She retired last year after 40 some odd years. My older ones had her, I think My youngest might have had her as a fish - taught science. great lady.

I think I see where you are going with this.,