PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it for to get a foot in the door

RkptFltn
01-17-2017, 11:21 AM
First off, if this is in the wrong section my apologies.

So i am currently working on finishing my bachelors degree. I intend on teaching and coaching after graduation, ill be 28. My question is this. How hard is it to start coaching if you didnt play football? I know some people say if you didnt play high school football then you are not part of the fraternity and you don't belong. I started working in student ministry and through that I fell in love with high school football. Over the past few years I have quietly lurked and gathered as much information as I can. I know i'm a teachable person and learn quickly. So is it unrealistic for me to think coaching football is an option? Should I stick to basketball. Thanks for any help or advice, txdlftw

edit: My degree with be in mathematics, if that matters.

coach
01-17-2017, 11:29 AM

So i am currently working on finishing my bachelors degree. I intend on teaching and coaching after graduation, ill be 28. My question is this. How hard is it to start coaching if you didnt play football? I know some people say if you didnt play high school football then you are not part of the fraternity and you don't belong. I started working in student ministry and through that I fell in love with high school football. Over the past few years I have quietly lurked and gathered as much information as I can. I know i'm a teachable person and learn quickly. So is it unrealistic for me to think coaching football is an option? Should I stick to basketball. Thanks for any help or advice, txdlftw

That is not true at all. If I were you I would try to get a JR. High job and learn the game. Once you have that job on your resume you are in our coaching fraternity forever. They key is just get a job somewhere and be a sponge. DM for any other questions. I can gladly help. In fact there is going to be a job open at my campus next year.

duckhunter
01-17-2017, 01:55 PM

anyone can get a job coaching if your criminal history is clean.....anyone

RkptFltn
01-18-2017, 11:47 AM
And a college degree

coach
01-18-2017, 12:16 PM
anyone can get a job coaching if your criminal history is clean.....anyone

And everyone thinks they can coach better than the actual coach.....everyone.

Weebe
01-18-2017, 02:07 PM
And everyone thinks they can coach better than the actual coach.....everyone.

I suppose that depends how good your coaches are. Bob Gillis was in El Campo for many years and I don't know of anyone there that thought they could have done a better job than he did.

coach
01-18-2017, 02:33 PM
I suppose that depends how good your coaches are. Bob Gillis was in El Campo for many years and I don't know of anyone there that thought they could have done a better job than he did.

Even Tom Landry had critics.

Rabid Cougar
01-18-2017, 03:48 PM

Mark Bell at China Spring never played high school football.

BwdLion73
01-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Well, Gordon Wood played High School Football for about 8 weeks....follow your dream.;)

Weebe
01-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Even Tom Landry had critics.

Well, first of all, you said "everyone". Twice.

Second, you said they think they can coach better. It's one thing to question calls here or there. Totally different to believe you could do a better job overall.

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2017, 08:11 PM
I recommend that when it comes time to do your practice teaching, that you let your teacher, the one you're teaching their class, that you're also interested in coaching and ask if there's a way that you could also practice coach. That might help get your foot in.

And for what it's worth, my Daddy never played football but coached it for over 20 years, including 2 head coach jobs.

coach
01-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Well, first of all, you said "everyone". Twice.

Second, you said they think they can coach better. It's one thing to question calls here or there. Totally different to believe you could do a better job overall.

I said everyone twice bc duckhunter said anyone twice...

And if you believe you can do a better job then go get a piece of paper with your name on it saying you completed a four year program. That is all it takes. it is that easy.

Rabid Cougar
01-20-2017, 02:51 PM
I said everyone twice bc duckhunter said anyone twice...

And if you believe you can do a better job then go get a piece of paper with your name on it saying you completed a four year program. That is all it takes. it is that easy.

That's what I say about being a referee. And coaches should have to referee one year as part of developmental program.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-20-2017, 03:28 PM
I know a lot of you won't give a damn about what I will say, but it is a fact.

The state's winningest Hispanic coach is a man by the name of Tony Villarreal. His background/specialty was actually baseball, not football. But he learned the Slot-T from Charlie Williams as a young Jr. High coach and the rest is history.

coach
01-20-2017, 03:56 PM
That's what I say about being a referee. And coaches should have to referee one year as part of developmental program.

EHHH. I have never met a good official.

Rabid Cougar
01-20-2017, 04:46 PM

You'd be surprised how many coaches want to enforce NFL rules or don't even know their own rules.

FB-fanatic
01-21-2017, 09:37 PM

You and Mark Bell.

coach
01-23-2017, 09:55 AM
You'd be surprised how many coaches want to enforce NFL rules or don't even know their own rules.

No I have coached against several that do not know the rules. Also been in many situations where the officials don't know the rules.