PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel AD/HFC Job is OPEN

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-08-2017, 06:43 PM
This should be an interesting next month or two. PIISD taking applications until Feb. 3rd.

Thoughts?

footballgal
01-09-2017, 12:20 AM
Wow this was a shocker! After Stumbaugh's 16 years stint in Port Isabel. It will be interesting to see what applicants this opening draws. I hear it's a very good paying job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cbaker06021984
01-09-2017, 12:26 AM
I'm guessing Joe Gonzales will probably put his name in the hat... He deserves another chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-09-2017, 12:31 AM
I'm guessing Joe Gonzales will probably put his name in the hat... He deserves another chance...

There should be applicants from all over the state tossing their names in the hat. All that good fishing down in the PI/SPI area is a big draw for coaches, I hear.

jockcity33
01-09-2017, 02:53 PM
How did the PI sub varsity teams do this year?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-09-2017, 03:19 PM
I'll need to do some double checking, but I believe the JV was 8-2, Freshmen were either 9-1 or 8-2. The 8th grade team were undefeated, and I believe the 7th graders had 1 loss.

Again I'm not 100% on that info, I'll double check and update with the accurate info.

footballgal
01-09-2017, 10:10 PM
How did the PI sub varsity teams do this year?

Rio Hondo won district both JV and Freshmen not sure about JR high

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Rio Hondo won district both JV and Freshmen not sure about JR high

I knew about Rio Hondo winning the district at the JV and Freshman levels, I'm not sure their exact records. I only know of the 1 loss to Rio Hondo for both teams. I think they won the rest of them except for the JV losing one of the non-district games.

footballgal
01-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Stumbaugh Out As Port Isabel Football Coach
Jan 09, 2017 9:00 PM
By ANDREW CRUM, Staff Writer

It’s the end of an era.

However, certainly not by choice, as Port Isabel athletic director/head football coach Monty Stumbaugh is out at Port Isabel.

A year ago, Stumbaugh had to quell rumors of his abrupt departure. He then led the Tarpons to a share of the District 16-4A crown and another postseason berth during the 2016 season.

Recent tweets, including a photo of the job posting from the Port Isabel Independent School District, blatantly indicated that Port Isabel was looking to fill the positions held by Stumbaugh. A special school board meeting is scheduled today at 5:30 p.m. with a closed session slated to discuss personnel matters.

Stumbaugh, who has guided the Tarpons to a 123-64 record, including nine district titles and 14 postseason appearances over 16 seasons, confirmed his contract will not be renewed for the 2017-2018 school year.

“The school board wanted to go in another direction, that’s what I was told,” Stumbaugh said. “It wasn’t because of job performance. That was the only reason given.”

Port Isabel superintendent Dr. Lisa Garcia would only confirm the actions taken by the school district, but offered, “Coach Stumbaugh has been in the district for 16 years and been a very successful coach and has led a very successful athletic department and the district is now interested in going a different direction.

“It’s time to go in a different direction.”

The school district will take applications until Feb. 3 for the positions that Stumbaugh held.

Last year, Stumbaugh said his contract expired in June of 2017. In the interim, he will continue his duties as athletic director until another coach is hired.

“I’m still here as the AD, doing my job until they get someone or I get a job,” Stumbaugh said. “Unfortunately that happens. You can do a good job and people still want to go a different direction. That’s the way it is. It’s happened to many a coach.

“That’s the way it is.”

The majority of Stumbaugh’s family is close to Port Isabel, the only exception being his father, so he’d like to stay close by if possible. It would be hard to pick up and move, but that is the reality in the coaching profession.

“We like it here,” Stumbaugh said about Port Isabel. “We have a home here. There are a lot of good people here, a lot of great memories.”

Port Isabel seemed like the place where Stumbaugh would finish a coaching career that’s spanned nearly four decades. But that success wasn’t enough.

“All good things come to an end, so they say,” he added. “We’ll see what happens or where I go, only God knows. We’ll see what opens up.”

The long-time Tarpons coach admitted he was surprised when told his contract wasn’t being renewed, especially when it seemed to be somewhat of a formality annually in early January after another successful season. But Stumbaugh took the news in stride.

“It happens in the coaching profession,” he said. “I still want to coach. I ain’t retiring, I’m too dang young to retire. I’m not that old yet. I still have a passion to coach. I have a passion to help kids. It’s what I like to do. It’s what I’m good at.

“I’ll see where the road takes me.”

Andrew Crum covers sports for The Brownsville Herald. You can reach him at (956) 982-6629 or via email at acrum@brownsvilleherald.com.

MJMbrahmas10
01-09-2017, 11:36 PM
I wish we could have got a story that detailed on what went down at Navasota with Fedora.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-09-2017, 11:45 PM
I wish we could have got a story that detailed on what went down at Navasota with Fedora.

If there's one good thing about the media coverage down in the RGV it's that they are very thorough, or at least they try to be anyhow.

pancho villa
01-10-2017, 08:38 AM
They need to hire Pancho

Snotbubbles
01-12-2017, 09:05 AM
“Coach Stumbaugh has been in the district for 16 years and been a very successful coach and has led a very successful athletic department and the district is now interested in going a different direction," Sup Lisa Garcia stated

From very successful coach and very successful athletic department to what? Very unsuccessful? Careful what you wish for PI. Good luck Coach Stumbaugh.

slingshot
01-12-2017, 10:58 AM
"123-64 record, including nine district titles and 14 postseason appearances over 16 seasons"... and they want to "go a different direction"? Is he a bad actor or are they just stupid? Sounds like the voters in PI need to "go a different direction" with the school board and superintendent...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-12-2017, 11:23 AM
There had to be something else going on behind the scenes for them to make this move. Trust me, I was just as surprised as anyone else that this happened.

SintonFan_inAustin
01-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Will PI fans be upset if they go to a spread type offensive coaching staff, if they go that direction might take a season for kids to learn a new system from they've been use to.

With Progreso and West Oso in the district it's a good time for this move. Good luck the kids are there to succeed not just in district.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Will PI fans be upset if they go to a spread type offensive coaching staff, if they go that direction might take a season for kids to learn a new system from they've been use to.

With Progreso and West Oso in the district it's a good time for this move. Good luck the kids are there to succeed not just in district.

Well, traditionally speaking, Port Isabel has always been a run first, pass second type of team. It used to be a little more balanced during the early part of Coach Stumbaugh's tenure, but for whatever reason, he went away from it more and more as time went by.

Thing is, in Port Isabel, kids don't really dream of being the next great QB for the Tarpons, they dream of being the next great RB. Me, personally, I don't think a spread style offense would work very well at PI at all. The smashmouth style of football is simply too ingrained there. But I think the fans would like to see a bit more of a passing attack though. Port Isabel has had a handful of 1000+ yard passers in it's past, even out of a Slot-T offense so it's not entirely out of the question. I mean, look at what Navarro did this season out of the Slot-T.

footballgal
01-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Whomever comes in, I am hoping for a more balanced offense. Not a huge fan of the spread but some variation of it. As of late, the Tarpons had become soo predictable. As an example we look at the last game this past season vs Sweeny, their coach was quoted as saying they had never changed their Defense, yet it worked in the 2nd half when adjustments were made because they knew if they changed their D, it was sure to work.

Heard there was issues with the AD part of it and other things, that I won't mention because its hearsay, but to make it clear, Coach Stumbaugh was NOT fired, they (PIISD) just didn't renew his contract.

We want to thank Coach Stump, for all his years he coached the Tarpons. I do wish him nothing but the best, where ever he ends up coaching at.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Whomever comes in, I am hoping for a more balanced offense. Not a huge fan of the spread but some variation of it. As of late, the Tarpons had become soo predictable. As an example we look at the last game this past season vs Sweeny, their coach was quoted as saying they had never changed their Defense, yet it worked in the 2nd half when adjustments were made because they knew if they changed their D, it was sure to work.

Heard there was issues with the AD part of it and other things, that I won't mention because its hearsay, but to make it clear, Coach Stumbaugh was NOT fired, they (PIISD) just didn't renew his contract.

We want to thank Coach Stump, for all his years he coached the Tarpons. I do wish him nothing but the best, where ever he ends up coaching at.

Just to further prove footballgal's point regarding the Tarpons being too predictable, check out this video that was put together the week after PI's loss to Rio Hondo and fast forward to ~4:15 in the video. Listen to this interview with Rio Hondo's head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-CkKaVi-g

cbaker06021984
01-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Maybe Jerry Long will apply.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Maybe Jerry Long will apply.

I believe it was noted that he wanted to be closer to home. Port Isabel IS NOT closer to home. More like another 2+ hours further away from Corpus Christi where he was at before. I doubt he would apply.