PDA

View Full Version : HS Footbal this Friday at the Star.

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2016, 11:43 AM
State Champion teams from across the country will play this Friday in Frisco. No Texas teams included.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/12/21/state-football-champions-will-battle-frisco-friday-will-champs-ever-texas

I don't think any Texas teams would be interested to be honest.

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2016, 11:54 AM
We are headed to the US Army All American Bowl to watch a handful of Michigan commitments play their last HS football game on January 7th. I'll be much more interested in that game. But, then again I'm biased.

waterboy
12-22-2016, 01:14 PM
If any Texas were interested, they would have to shorten their season by a game somehow, and this event would have to be pushed back another week. I don't think that will ever happen. Besides, other states don't play by the same rules we do here in Texas. IF any Texas teams were added, the venue would have to change to provide more seating, in my opinion.

Dawgs
12-22-2016, 02:29 PM
I would like to see 1 more game. I would love to see WOS vs Carthage. WOS would be heavy favorites, but Carthage was underdogs in 5 out of 6 playoff games. I think the final score would look more like a baseball score than football. 6-3 type of game.

XX Man
12-22-2016, 11:01 PM
If I remember right, Carthage beat Silsbee by 4 pts, and WOS dismantled Silsbee. Something like 52 - 3. Can't remember the exact score. Carthage would have their hands full.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Besides, other states don't play by the same rules we do here in Texas. IF any Texas teams were added, the venue would have to change to provide more seating, in my opinion.

Other states play by Federation Rules. Only Massachusetts and Texas play NCAA. Its not a big deal to play between states as the rule changes are subtle. Most people would never know the difference.

I also think that the Star would be sufficient. The team that travels from another state will only bring 2 or 300 people if that.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2016, 09:51 AM
I would like to see 1 more game. I would love to see WOS vs Carthage. WOS would be heavy favorites, but Carthage was underdogs in 5 out of 6 playoff games. I think the final score would look more like a baseball score than football. 6-3 type of game.

If you want to play fantasy what if's:

Carthage gets beat handily. Carthage could barely move against China Spring's D. No way CS's defense is better than WOS.

Dawgs
12-23-2016, 11:43 AM
If you want to play fantasy what if's:

Carthage gets beat handily. Carthage could barely move against China Spring's D. No way CS's defense is better than WOS.

Yea we only heard that 5 out of the last 6 weeks. Barely moved the ball? 410 yards and 21 1st downs is not barely moving the ball. Had 5 turnovers, so CS was able to stay in the game. But don't get silly and talk about barely moving the ball.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Yea we only heard that 5 out of the last 6 weeks. Barely moved the ball? 410 yards and 21 1st downs is not barely moving the ball. Had 5 turnovers, so CS was able to stay in the game. But don't get silly and talk about barely moving the ball.

Wins are judged by points not total yardage. I make no claim that CS moved the ball in the second half. Carthage's defense did their job and did it well. WOS defense is a lot better than China Spring's though.

Dawgs
12-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Wins are judged by points not total yardage. I make no claim that CS moved the ball in the second half. Carthage's defense did their job and did it well. WOS defense is a lot better than China Spring's though.

Your post said Carthage "barely moved the ball against CS". I pointed out that Carthage had 21 1st downs and 410 yards. Now you say wins aren't judged on yardage. I never said they were. You claimed Carthage barely moved the ball which was way off. AW defense was supposedly way better than CS too. Carthage put 31 on them. Like I said would love to see that game. Carthage had the best defense in D1 hands down. Would be awesome to see the best defense in D1 go up against the best defense in D2. WOS may win, and would be the favorite. But it would not be "handily" as you stated.

waterboy
12-23-2016, 01:43 PM
I saw both play, and there's no way I would bet against Surratt in a championship game. I will just leave it at that. Both teams should be proud of their respective state championships.

WOS87
12-23-2016, 08:45 PM
That game hypothetically happened yesterday.

http://texashsfootball.com/hypothetical-state-showdowns-west-orange-stark-vs-carthage/

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2016, 10:04 AM
BTW, the actual games were nothing to crow about. Out 5 A /6 A possibly 4 As would have performed well against any of them.

YTBulldogs
12-24-2016, 11:24 AM
And those freaky rules (federation) they played by at The Star last night. Odd seeing defensive offsides blown dead. OPI not automatic firstdown. And, catching KO in the air in EZ blown dead. Just some of the odd ball rules I noticed. Just two states (Texas and Connecticut) play high school football via NCAA rules. You'd think more would be playing by the rules the kids will be advancing to at next level.