PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sweetwater QB Thompson

GetRDoneStangs
12-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Most of you know (and saw) that Sweetwater's starting QB Chris Thompson was injured during the 4th quarter of the game vs. WOS. See the news from his mother just a few minutes ago on her FB page.

"We would like to thank everyone for all of the prayers, texts, and phone calls!! Christopher has an acl sprain and bone bruising... Praise God that nothing is tore or broken!!! He will be out 6-8 weeks and will have to do rehab. We can't thank everyone enough for all the love and support!"

I also want to thanks everyone who has asked and prayed he would be ok. Everyone from the folks we meet after the game that asked about him..to the the messages and text on here. Thanks again!

bobcat1
12-20-2016, 11:16 PM
That is awesome news. Best you could have hoped for!

LionFan72
12-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Most of you know (and saw) that Sweetwater's starting QB Chris Thompson was injured during the 4th quarter of the game vs. WOS. See the news from his mother just a few minutes ago on her FB page.

"We would like to thank everyone for all of the prayers, texts, and phone calls!! Christopher has an acl sprain and bone bruising... Praise God that nothing is tore or broken!!! He will be out 6-8 weeks and will have to do rehab. We can't thank everyone enough for all the love and support!"

I also want to thanks everyone who has asked and prayed he would be ok. Everyone from the folks we meet after the game that asked about him..to the the messages and text on here. Thanks again!

THAT is great news!!! Here is to a speedy and productive recovery!!

WOSgrad
12-21-2016, 01:21 AM
No tear and no fracture. That is EXCELLENT NEWS!!! Prayers to Chris on his continued recovery and I look forward to seeing him next year, if not in other sports this year!

pirate4state
12-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Great news!!! Thanks for sharing, Ted! Continued prayers for a full & speedy recovery

Sweetwater Red
12-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Yep and hopefully he'll be ready in time for baseball season. Not sure if Sweetwater they'll go four rounds deep again this year because we are losing some key pieces. So, we'll need all hands on deck.

XX Man
12-22-2016, 11:04 PM
When I saw the hit, I knee it was going to be bad, and was hoping it was just hyper-extended. This comes from a man with one tore up knee and the other with a knee replacement. He is a great athlete, but he needs to run less.

bobcat1
12-23-2016, 12:06 AM
When I saw the hit, I knee it was going to be bad, and was hoping it was just hyper-extended. This comes from a man with one tore up knee and the other with a knee replacement. He is a great athlete, but he needs to run less.
smdh

SaltySixes
12-23-2016, 02:35 AM
smdh

Do you disagree? Why?

bobcat1
12-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Do you disagree? Why?
Just the little dig at the end. "He needs to run less"

SaltySixes
12-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Just the little dig at the end. "He needs to run less"

Oh ok gotcha!

XX Man
12-24-2016, 03:05 AM
You can take almost any player out of the game and not hurt you too much. But, you take the QB out, and you don't even have a 2nd String QB listed, you are in trouble. As that is the case, the QB needs to stay injury free. Why do you think you never see the QB running too much in the Pros, except for Roger Staubach. You keep running the QB, he is going to get hurt. Normally, they don't even have as heavy of pads on. So, go ahead and smack your darn head, maybe you will knock some sense into it.

GetRDoneStangs
12-24-2016, 10:34 AM
You can take almost any player out of the game and not hurt you too much. But, you take the QB out, and you don't even have a 2nd String QB listed, you are in trouble. As that is the case, the QB needs to stay injury free. Why do you think you never see the QB running too much in the Pros, except for Roger Staubach. You keep running the QB, he is going to get hurt. Normally, they don't even have as heavy of pads on. So, go ahead and smack your darn head, maybe you will knock some sense into it.

The player (#20) was our backup. The game program had had several mistakes in it. First they had his last name wrong...so that may have been why he was not listed as a qb. He has been listed on every program this year and was on the program a local company had printed for the state game. He has played quite a bit this year (11 of 14 games before state game), Thompson and many starters were pulled early in several of the games this year. MaxPreps has his stats as:

20 T. Longoria (Jr) 11 games 12 of 18 244 yds 4 td's 0 int 149.3 qb rating
20 T. Longoria (Jr) 11 games 34 rushes 187 yds 2 td's

All of these games were when Sweetwater was up big and play calling was somewhat conservative.

I agree (and already posted it earlier)..if you run the ball up the middle you take the chance of getting hurt. The WOS defense was incredibly fast in running to the ball and you have to do what it takes to try and make a big play. When this happened, the game was 10-6 and that is what he was doing.

Back to the game program....I was asked on the sideline who #7 was? Luke James had returned the fumble for the TD and was playing a great game...he was totally left off the program I saw. I also saw the replays on Fox Sports, they must have had the right program, they at least knew who #7 was.

So my final thoughts on this is that is wasn't has much what Sweetwater was trying to do on offense. They had put up big numbers all year...it boiled down to a very good defense that had the athletes to make the plays to prevent them from doing what they like to do. Period. The season is over and I am moving on...

Basketball and baseball are now here and our district in these sports will be even tougher than football. It only has 5 teams but all can play (esp. baseball)...Abilene Wylie, Big Spring, Brownwood, Snyder, Sweetwater.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

XX Man
12-25-2016, 05:43 AM
Well, at least you understand what I was saying.

GetRDoneStangs
12-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Well, at least you understand what I was saying.

I was also trying to bring out the fact that you said Sweetwater did not have a backup. I think you brought that up on another thread as well.

I realize you based that on what you saw on the program...but to me I saw it as Sweetwater was not prepared and ran the QB without a backup.

But, you take the QB out, and you don't even have a 2nd String QB listed, you are in trouble. As that is the case, the QB needs to stay injury free.

Injuries happen on all levels of play and of course you don't want your players injured. But, a competitor will do what it takes to win a game and if he chooses to make those decisions he knows what can happen. On the play Chris was injured, he had made the first down when he was hit and fumbled. He is a great dual threat QB and has developed the knowledge to make the decision on what is in front of him.

So for me, you or anyone out here to say he should run less is not fair. He makes those decisions based on the fact that 1 missed tackle or any slight mistake from a defense could be a big run or a long catch and run from a pass. He ran an offense that averaged just under 500 yards a game and it was pretty much 50/50 pass and run and in 2 1/2-3 qtrs. of a game.

The WOS defense was great and dictated what he had to try and do.

Phantom Stang
12-26-2016, 07:21 PM
That is awesome news. Best you could have hoped for!

:iagree:
Glad the prognosis is good. An old knee injury can hinder you in a lot more than football.

bobcat1
12-26-2016, 10:15 PM
:iagree:
Glad the prognosis is good. An old knee injury can hinder you in a lot more than football.
You don't have to tell me that. I know.