PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Wind Turbine Industry

Aesculus gilmus
12-17-2016, 08:24 PM
I was listening to the West Orange-Stark radio guy and he said there were 1,500 jobs in your industry out there.

Is that true? Is it subsidized and, if so, are you worried the incoming administration will do away with them?

I remember driving by a huge wind farm somewhere out there 10 years ago on the way to Lubbock. I guess that was in the vicinity of Sweetwater. I never got off I-20 to go into Sweetwater. Remember seeing the exit.

GetRDoneStangs
12-17-2016, 11:26 PM
I was listening to the West Orange-Stark radio guy and he said there were 1,500 jobs in your industry out there.

Is that true? Is it subsidized and, if so, are you worried the incoming administration will do away with them?

I remember driving by a huge wind farm somewhere out there 10 years ago on the way to Lubbock. I guess that was in the vicinity of Sweetwater. I never got off I-20 to go into Sweetwater. Remember seeing the exit.

The Wind Industry is big all over west texas and panhandle area (and south..valley etc..). They are always looking for wind technicians no matter if the industry is subsidized or not. The fact is they have built thousands of them and they have to be maintained/repaired.

I was a tech and manager in it for a few years...it is definitely a young person's game if you are a technician especially. You have to climb most every day and sometimes several a day. Many of the towers have a "climb assist" that aids in climbing...but it is still about 270' up on the average.

Several of the technical colleges are offering a quick degree and graduates have jobs waiting for them upon graduation.

It's not a bad career for a you person getting out of high school and willing to work. Some of the companies that provide the services have technicians that do some travel as well...so a single person can make more money if they room up and watch their spending.

I enjoyed for a few years and must say I was in the best shape I had been in years.

Hope I answered your questions!

Aesculus gilmus
12-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks, GetRDoneStangs. Very comprehensive answer indeed. I wish y'all a windy Christmas and a rematch with Gilmer in the semis next season.

GetRDoneStangs
12-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Thanks, GetRDoneStangs. Very comprehensive answer indeed. I wish y'all a windy Christmas and a rematch with Gilmer in the semis next season.

Same to you (we like to share...have some cold wind out your way...dang trees seem to block "Some" of it) and hope to meet you guys again next year!

Aesculus gilmus
12-18-2016, 02:48 PM
It was like Sweetwater here overnight as the front blew through.

Our trees are great, but they always lose a lot of limbs on nights like last night.

Rabid Cougar
12-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Though not nearly the numbers as in Nolan County, the windmills are moving east. Now in Comanche and Goldthwaite.

FB-fanatic
12-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Put 40 on your place and haul in $320,000 annual in royalties or lease money.

87 turbines went in between Comanche and Brownwood. I had heard they were going in, but blew my mind when I topped the overpass entering Comanche and see them 10 miles away.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has a 10-year power purchase agreement to acquire 58% of the expected output from the facility, and an A-/Baa2-rated financial institution purchases 17% of the expected output under a 13-year fixed price agreement. The remaining 25% of expected output will be sold at ERCOT spot market prices.

Logan’s Gap Wind creates enough clean energy to power 50,000 homes in Texas each year, according to the average annual residential energy use from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. (plagiarized info)

Saw the complaints of some of the locals before they came in as to what would happen when subsidies play out. Who cleans up your land.

Rabid Cougar
12-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Put 40 on your place and haul in $320,000 annual in royalties or lease money.

87 turbines went in between Comanche and Brownwood. I had heard they were going in, but blew my mind when I topped the overpass entering Comanche and see them 10 miles away.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has a 10-year power purchase agreement to acquire 58% of the expected output from the facility, and an A-/Baa2-rated financial institution purchases 17% of the expected output under a 13-year fixed price agreement. The remaining 25% of expected output will be sold at ERCOT spot market prices.

Logan’s Gap Wind creates enough clean energy to power 50,000 homes in Texas each year, according to the average annual residential energy use from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. (plagiarized info)

Saw the complaints of some of the locals before they came in as to what would happen when subsidies play out. Who cleans up your land.

They are tied into the net by lines that run into power station adjacent to the gas turbine plant at Whitney.