PDA

View Full Version : 4AD1 State Championship: Abilene Wylie (12-1) vs Carthage (12-2) 12/16 4pm @ AT&T

WOS87
12-10-2016, 10:04 PM
State Championship game 2016. Both programs having won titles in the recent past set up for an epic matchup.

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Heck Yeah. Wylie has this one! Region 1 getting that title This week. Bulldogs Vs Bulldogs in D1.. Mustangs Vs Mustangs in D2... That might be a first.. lol kinda cool!

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Should be close, but Carthage gonna Carthage. 28-24

Inmateboss
12-11-2016, 12:56 AM
State Championship game 2016. Both programs having won titles in the recent past set up for an epic matchup.

I hope both teams play to their potential! Turnovers will likely decide this game !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LionFan72
12-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Abilene Wylie Bulldogs by 1, it will be close, it will be tough, it will be epic, it will be decided by the defenses. Who wants it more?

Rabid Cougar
12-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I am going with the Bulldogs on this one.

Dawgs
12-11-2016, 10:39 AM
This is going to be another great game. Everybody knows how balanced Carthage is. We have what I believe to be the best secondary in the state in 4a, and our run defense has improved immensely in the playoffs. I am not very familiar with Wylie. But if you are going to beat Carthage you will have to cause turnovers like CS did. I don't see any other way to stop the Carthage offense without making them turn the ball over. Carthage has proven they can stop anybody in the state on defense when they have to. The last 2 weeks they have allowed 3 points total in the second half to very good offensive teams. I just think this is Carthage year. No disrespect at all to AW. I know it is going to be a very tough game. I just think the Dawgs can do too much on both sides of the ball. Plus Surratt is 4-0 all time in the big one.

wyliefan
12-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Don't think there is anyway Wylie gives up 28. We only average 13 a game, a lot of those points that we gave up were late in the game when the reserves were in. I would guess the average is 7 or less when the starters are in. Another interesting number about this years defense is the starters have not allowed a passing TD all year and has 19 int.

Dawgs
12-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Don't think there is anyway Wylie gives up 28. We only average 13 a game, a lot of those points that we gave up were late in the game when the reserves were in. I would guess the average is 7 or less when the starters are in. Another interesting number about this years defense is the starters have not allowed a passing TD all year and has 19 int.
Well the young men in the secondary will be tested, that much is for sure.

lostaussie
12-11-2016, 11:14 AM
If Ingram can hold the dang ball, I just do not see Carthage losing. But they will not escape Wylie, like they did CS if the turnover bug bites.

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 11:46 AM

Well, I would guess Carthage might be a just a tad better than the average competition you've faced up to this point. :)

wyliefan
12-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, I would guess Carthage might be a just a tad better than the average competition you've faced up to this point. :)

Same can be said about Carthage, both have played well to this point. Should be an outstanding game between to great programs. No one gets lucky to play in the state finals, every team has earned their right to play this weekend.

oldtownag
12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Wow. Third place in District of Doom. Now playing for a State Championship. Great job Dawgs. Beat Wylie!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNcrAx4tYYppNbmVPOXDDl5S_HNqR7g qvBoL_dTkpEdmIanXvHGQ

slingshot
12-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Lots of intrigue in this one! West Texas smash mouth football vs East Texas smash mouth football. Sandifer vs Surratt. Two big, fast, well coached teams trying to enforce their will on the other. Both teams very disciplined, Carthage probably a little more likely to take risks. Both can run and throw though both would prefer to keep it on the ground.
IMHO the key matchups are going to be: Can Wylie contain Ingram? Notice I didn't say 'stop him', that won't happen. Can Carthage contain Dion Novil? No one has stopped him from getting in the backfield and disrupting their offense all year? Again, you can't 'stop ' him--just hope to slow him down. Both are game changers.

Dawgs
12-11-2016, 02:25 PM
If Ingram can hold the dang ball, I just do not see Carthage losing. But they will not escape Wylie, like they did CS if the turnover bug bites.
Agree. If Carthage turns the ball over again like that, they will not be able to keep that Cinderella slipper on. But If Carthage plays a clean game, I just don't see how Wylie would have an advantage in this game. Could be totally wrong. Wylie might run over Carthage. But I don't see it. Carthage can run, pass, stop the run, and defend the pass. We are not very good on special teams, but I can't remember us ever being good on special teams. Don't turn the ball over and execute I think Carthage by 10+. Play sloppy and its a toss up. Anybody still questioning this team is crazy. Carthage has played by far the toughest schedule we have ever played in 1 season. These boys are battle tested and proven 4th quarter winners. This team has played in pretty much every 4th quarter with the exception of 2 games. That will be the difference if its close.

slingshot
12-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Wylie by 7-10 points BTW... this Wylie team just has the whole package. Great size and length, the best defense in the state in DI--can stop the run and the pass equally well, very good speed, true dual threat QB, very good on special teams, big mobile O-line... just no chinks in the armor. To top it off a fantastic coaching staff. I know Surratt is a top 3 coach but so is Sandifer... both master motivators and both absolutely know how to get the most out of their teams. Going to be a great one!

Dawgs
12-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Wylie by 7-10 points BTW... this Wylie team just has the whole package. Great size and length, the best defense in the state in DI--can stop the run and the pass equally well, very good speed, true dual threat QB, very good on special teams, big mobile O-line... just no chinks in the armor. To top it off a fantastic coaching staff. I know Surratt is a top 3 coach but so is Sandifer... both master motivators and both absolutely know how to get the most out of their teams. Going to be a great one!

Sounds like its going to be a good one! Oh btw have they been up against any ETX speed lately? I kid, I kid.

db1980
12-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Lots of intrigue in this one! West Texas smash mouth football vs East Texas smash mouth football. Sandifer vs Surratt. Two big, fast, well coached teams trying to enforce their will on the other. Both teams very disciplined, Carthage probably a little more likely to take risks. Both can run and throw though both would prefer to keep it on the ground.
IMHO the key matchups are going to be: Can Wylie contain Ingram? Notice I didn't say 'stop him', that won't happen. Can Carthage contain Dion Novil? No one has stopped him from getting in the backfield and disrupting their offense all year? Again, you can't 'stop ' him--just hope to slow him down. Both are game changers.

While you're not totally incorrect on this matter, you are slightly off. Carthage doesn't prefer to keep the ball on the ground. They're extremely balanced. Always have been. That's what makes them dangerous.

slingshot
12-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Sounds like its going to be a good one! Oh btw have they been up against any ETX speed lately? I kid, I kid.Carthage will have a speed advantage, but not as much as most think. We've had big and good teams before but I think this is the best team speed we've had. One of our outside LB's and our slot receiver both ran legs on our state track meet qualifying sprint relay last year. Our D-line is surprisingly quick for big guys--especially Novil (remember that name, you will hear it a lot Friday) who is a 6'4" 270 lb specimen that lines up at NG and DT (he also is the starting post on our basketball team). No one has been able to single block him for 2 years.

regaleagle
12-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Imho.....I think Wylie has a great secondary. I believe they will prove that on the field in this State Championship game. I also think Carthage will be surprised by the pressure Wylie can exert on the QB. Screens won't work on Wylie....and neither will misdirections. Argyle is very good at both, and they stopped us. Long passes are your best bet......if your QB has the time.

d0tc0m
12-12-2016, 09:31 AM
This one has all the trappings of an instant classic. It's hard to go against Carthage in the postseason, much less the state title game. But I'm going to do that this week.

Give me Wylie by three or less.

Red&White_9x5
12-12-2016, 09:50 AM
I am going into the weekend saying this will be the best game on the schedule. Should be an all out slobber knocker!!!

canno
12-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Like Wylie by 9

Rabid Cougar
12-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Honestly, I didn't think Carthage had a speed advantage over CS. Carthage's two TD passes certainly were not the "blow past" type. When the DB didn't "squat" for what ever reason he did, CS's DBs were right there with the Bulldog wrs. Ingram is a very good RB but he didn't runaway from CS defense.

The difference maker in all aspects of the Carthage/CS game was the Carthage's QB's ability to hit his targets, even under duress. His WRs also made the catches when they had to.

I don't know anything about Wylie but if they are close to CS in size and speed, the CS game will be an equal contest in that aspect.

Dawgs
12-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Honestly, I didn't think Carthage had a speed advantage over CS. Carthage's two TD passes certainly were not the "blow past" type. When the DB didn't "squat" for what ever reason he did, CS's DBs were right there with the Bulldog wrs. Ingram is a very good RB but he didn't runaway from CS defense.

The difference maker in all aspects of the Carthage/CS game was the Carthage's QB's ability to hit his targets, even under duress. His WRs also made the catches when they had to.

I don't know anything about Wylie but if they are close to CS in size and speed, the CS game will be an equal contest in that aspect.

You are correct in saying that Carthage did not have a speed advantage over CS. I think that comes down to them being in such great positions on defense, and being so disciplined and doing their job. I think Carthage had the "faster" team, but that did not effect the outcome. Same thing with Ingram. The LB core was so good for CS, that he didn't really get many chances to run away from anybody. But trust me. Ingram has runaway from some very fast teams the last 2 years. That is a tribute to the CS defense that they didn't allow him to break one. I would think AW would try to do the same thing as CS did on defense. If it was me I would sell out on the run and make Carthage beat you with the pass. On another note Ingram just picked up his 1st offer from TCU yesterday. I am sure many more to follow.

oldtownag
12-12-2016, 12:26 PM

CS DB's could not cover #7 (Another Ingram - WR) man to man. Once they moved a safety back to help that opened up the ground game in the 2nd half.

wyliefan
12-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Wylie has not had any trouble getting pressure on the QB this year with their front 4. This has let the LB's play great run defense, but also help out on the short pass plays, slants, screens etc. The DB will play man with a safety over the top. The safety's has speed and great instinct for the ball, he has a great feel for the play and can come up and stop the run. This game will defiantly be a battle between the players and a chess match between two great coaching staffs.

slingshot
12-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Our DB's will definitely be tested by Carthage's passing game. Other big test will be if Wylie's D-Line (and they are outstanding) can penetrate and disrupt that passing game. No one has been able to stop them all year. #89 Dion Novil gets all the press and always draws double teams (usually even gets chipped by a back), that opens up lanes for our other very good D linemen to make plays. Not going to say our LB's are of CS level but are very good none the less. Our safety is "a heat seeking missile" as described by one of our esteemed opponents--good size, good speed and hits like a freight train.

Dawgs
12-12-2016, 03:52 PM
http://etsn.fm/carthage-linebacker-mykel-gates-is-the-etsn-fm-dairy-queen-defensive-player-of-the-week/

Here is another one of our Juniors. His D1 offers should start rolling in very soon. I heard the CS announcers (David Smoak) used the term "un-blockable". He has laid some of the biggest hits I have ever seen at the HS level this year. Best thing is he will be back next year with the rest of the boys. Carthage could very well be in line for a WOS run next season.

toddg
12-12-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm thinkin Carthage offense is more lethal when they go under center. This will not be a track meet, I see a 1 possession game throughout, low scoring, meat and potatoes kind of game. can't wait to see it!!

toddg
12-12-2016, 04:02 PM
http://etsn.fm/carthage-linebacker-mykel-gates-is-the-etsn-fm-dairy-queen-defensive-player-of-the-week/

Here is another one of our Juniors. His D1 offers should start rolling in very soon. I heard the CS announcers (David Smoak) used the term "un-blockable". He has laid some of the biggest hits I have ever seen at the HS level this year. Best thing is he will be back next year with the rest of the boys. Carthage could very well be in line for a WOS run next season. even in the district of the doomed? A WOS type season next year? What flavor koolaid you drinking!!

oldtownag
12-12-2016, 04:53 PM
http://etsn.fm/carthage-downs-china-spring-in-triple-ot-advances-to-state-title-game/#photogallery-1=6

Man this board is dead. Doesn't anyone want to talk some football?

waterboy
12-12-2016, 05:58 PM
I know Wylie is good this year, but there's no way I could bet against Surratt and company in a championship game. I honestly don't know who wins, but I wouldn't be surprised either way unless it is a blowout.

Go Dawgs..., the red ones!

Aggie98
12-12-2016, 07:22 PM
There's no way I can pick against Carthage either. Just look at how they got here....

Gave up 364 yds rushing to Silsbee's RB.... and won.

Gave up 240+ yds rushing to Henderson's RB..... and won.

Down by 2 TD's in the 2nd half to a crazy good Stafford team in a rain game....and won.

Were -4 in the turnover column against a dominant China Spring team... and won.

Dawgs
12-12-2016, 07:26 PM
even in the district of the doomed? A WOS type season next year? What flavor koolaid you drinking!!

We will just leave it alone. It's a long time before next season, and Carthage has a state championship to win in a couple days. But if your at the game, most likely every time you look down at the program after a kid made a play for Carthage you will see Jr beside his name. And the good thing about being a Carthage fan is we don't have to drink koolaid.

cowboyandchrist
12-12-2016, 09:06 PM
To add to Dawgs, take a look at the side lines at the twin giants. Two freshmen 6'5 280 lbs. they are the real deal, you will also see big and strong sophomores. The O line that Dawgs have been famous for will return next year. All that and the super stud juniors from this year, the future looks bright.

Rabid Cougar
12-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Here is another one of our Juniors. His D1 offers should start rolling in very soon. I heard the CS announcers (David Smoak) used the term "un-blockable". He has laid some of the biggest hits I have ever seen at the HS level this year. Best thing is he will be back next year with the rest of the boys. Carthage could very well be in line for a WOS run next season.

What Number????

You do have a really nice looking DE but was unimpressed with his play. LB's did a very nice job against the run game. They tackled very well. I am sorry but I couldn't get a good read on the DBs. They were not challenged very much except for the one play in the end zone in overtime (int.). Not a knock on them by the way.

Rabid Cougar
12-13-2016, 11:06 AM
http://etsn.fm/carthage-downs-china-spring-in-triple-ot-advances-to-state-title-game/#photogallery-1=6

Still makes me sick.

bansheefan03
12-13-2016, 12:54 PM
#25 is our good lb been on varsity since he was a freshman

db1980
12-13-2016, 12:55 PM

Reading that article will give some folks a little more insight into east Texas football. Not in the sense that it talks about the competition, but the testament to how tough and prepared the are. Through regular season the Carthage defense looked average statistically speaking. That's why so many folks during the playoffs doubt if Carthage is very good defensively. It's a grind week in and week out facing teams that can give your defenses extreme challenges. They've faced some really extremely talented offensive firepower and gave up some points.

Rabid Cougar
12-13-2016, 01:32 PM
#25 is our good lb been on varsity since he was a freshman

Agree, I recall seeing him around the ball quiet often. Was impressed with his play.

Dawgs
12-13-2016, 01:33 PM
What Number????

You do have a really nice looking DE but was unimpressed with his play. LB's did a very nice job against the run game. They tackled very well. I am sorry but I couldn't get a good read on the DBs. They were not challenged very much except for the one play in the end zone in overtime (int.). Not a knock on them by the way.

#25 Mykel Gates was who I heard they were saying was "un-blockable" Kid had 15 tackles, and stuffed 2 runs in a row in the first OT if I remember correctly.

http://img.scout.com/sites/default/files/2016/06/13/Mykel%20Gates.jpg

db1980
12-13-2016, 01:53 PM
#25 Mykel Gates was who I heard they were saying was "un-blockable" Kid had 15 tackles, and stuffed 2 runs in a row in the first OT if I remember correctly.

http://img.scout.com/sites/default/files/2016/06/13/Mykel%20Gates.jpg

He's a bell ringer

Dawgs
12-13-2016, 01:59 PM
He's a bell ringer
That is what a LB is supposed to look like. This young man might go down as the best to ever do it at his position in Carthage. He has some good genes. His father Rodney Gates was a ball player.

pancho villa
12-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Wylie by 17

briandumith*
12-13-2016, 04:23 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/videos.aspx?careerid=b240f4dd-9efe-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&videoid=49fa014b-23f4-4445-af05-5951043d1d07
89! Enough Said!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

oldtownag
12-13-2016, 04:36 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/videos.aspx?careerid=b240f4dd-9efe-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&videoid=49fa014b-23f4-4445-af05-5951043d1d07
89! Enough Said!

He was either unblockable or unblocked on most of those highlights. Mostly unblocked.

briandumith*
12-13-2016, 04:38 PM
He was either unblockable or unblocked on most of those highlights. Mostly unblocked.
I like the positive attitude... half full my friend.

slingshot
12-13-2016, 05:36 PM
If Dion's 240 lbs I'll eat my hat... maybe when he was a Soph--he's now every bit of 265-270 lb and stout with very good quickness. Not chunky--just big. Promise you that your eyes will be on him on the field.

regaleagle
12-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Let's see......Carthage may have a slightly better offense than Wylie does.....maybe. But I can guarantee that Wylie has the better Defense. Usually in games like this where the teams are both fairly evenly matched......seems like the team with the best defense usually prevails. Not necessarily.......but when the team with the better defense has a GREAT defense like Wylie does.....then that's a whole different set of circumstances altogether. This should be another low-scoring game.....just sayin'. And that will favor Wylie.

cowboyandchrist
12-13-2016, 11:47 PM
If the C Dawgs do not turn the over. They will win this ball game. The Dawg D have been outstanding against three teams Henderson, Stafford, and China Spring. All three were averaging 40 and 50 points a game. If Carthage can force AW to throw it will be ball C Dawgs. Carthage is a well balanced offense, you never no if it is run or throw. I can guarantee AW secondary will be tested by receivers that can fly.
Dawgs by 10.
Let's Go C Dawgs !!!!
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.

hollywood
12-14-2016, 10:18 AM
If the C Dawgs do not turn the over. They will win this ball game. The Dawg D have been outstanding against three teams Henderson, Stafford, and China Spring. All three were averaging 40 and 50 points a game. If Carthage can force AW to throw it will be ball C Dawgs. Carthage is a well balanced offense, you never no if it is run or throw. I can guarantee AW secondary will be tested by receivers that can fly.
Dawgs by 10.
Let's Go C Dawgs !!!!

Force AW to throw? AW is not a primarily run team. They can throw it around with the best of them.

slingshot
12-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Force AW to throw? AW is not a primarily run team. They can throw it around with the best of them.Shhh... they think we can only run the ball!

cowboyandchrist
12-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Hollywood, the C Dawgs have the best secondary in 4A that I have seen this year. They have done very well against teams that try to throw on them.
Should be one heck of a football game as it should be.
Note: never bet against coach S in the state championship.
Dawgs by 10.
Let's Go C Dawgs !!!!

slingshot
12-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Dawgs by 10.
Let's Go C Dawgs !!!!
God Bless coaches, players, and fans.By the same token--if Wylie does not turn the ball over (have not turned it over in the last 3 games) we win. I truly believe the team that has the fewest turnovers and penalties wins this game. Carthage likely has a slightly better offense, Wylie has a slightly better defense, Wylie has better special teams and the coaching matchup is a wash (we know you think Surratt is head and shoulders better than anyone else... most weeks that is true--not this one).

d0tc0m
12-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Dawgs by 10.
Let's Go C Dawgs !!!!

Argyle had a load of receivers that could flat out fly, too. Abilene Wylie's secondary held up just fine.

This game is going to be a dandy.

db1980
12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Let's see......Carthage may have a slightly better offense than Wylie does.....maybe. But I can guarantee that Wylie has the better Defense. Usually in games like this where the teams are both fairly evenly matched......seems like the team with the best defense usually prevails. Not necessarily.......but when the team with the better defense has a GREAT defense like Wylie does.....then that's a whole different set of circumstances altogether. This should be another low-scoring game.....just sayin'. And that will favor Wylie.

It was said here that China Spring had a better defense. So far everybody has had a better defense, yet the Carthage defense has been the difference in every playoff game so far except Henderson.

Rabid Cougar
12-14-2016, 12:28 PM
It was said here that China Spring had a better defense. So far everybody has had a better defense, yet the Carthage defense has been the difference in every playoff game so far except Henderson.

I'd say that Carthage's D is every bit as good as China Spring's.

db1980
12-14-2016, 12:42 PM
I'd say that Carthage's D is every bit as good as China Spring's.

That's the point I'm trying to make. They've played some outstanding offenses alongvtge way. Everybody discredits them on this site dating back to 2010 for not playing defense, giving up lots of yards and points.

d0tc0m
12-14-2016, 12:47 PM
that's the point i'm trying to make. They've played some outstanding offenses alongvtge way. Everybody discredits them on this site dating back to 2010 for not playing defense, giving up lots of yards and points.

everybody?!

slingshot
12-14-2016, 12:54 PM
That's the point I'm trying to make. They've played some outstanding offenses alongvtge way. Everybody discredits them on this site dating back to 2010 for not playing defense, giving up lots of yards and points.Discredits? Really? Carthage has a great defense--they wouldn't have won the close games they've been in so far without it. We just feel ours is a little better... that is no knock on Carthage. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

db1980
12-14-2016, 12:56 PM
everybody?!

Would general consensus be better terminology?

db1980
12-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Discredits? Really? Carthage has a great defense--they wouldn't have won the close games they've been in so far without it. We just feel ours is a little better... that is no knock on Carthage. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

I feel both teams have great defenses. I just think the Carthage O will have the big plays and pull it out. I've already said once, this will be a tough physical game.

d0tc0m
12-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Would general consensus be better terminology?

I think that would even be a pretty big stretch.

oldtownag
12-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Carthage gets plenty of respect. Homers gonna homer no matter the team. As they should.

Aggie98
12-14-2016, 10:28 PM
When we played Carthage in Jerrah World in '13, they did a lot of things offensively that they hadn't really done all year. Not many HC's have the juevos to "experiment" in week 17. Surratt does.

regaleagle
12-15-2016, 01:17 AM
All quiet on the Western Front......:stirpot:

LionFan72
12-15-2016, 04:17 AM
The old West will be gunning for the speed runners of the East beginning noon Friday. Not knocking WOS or Carthage, but this is a different feel than past years speed kills games! The defenses will dominate the trenches, the offenses will struggle, but the strong will endure and overcome! I can see a low scoring game and turnovers will determine the outcome. Count any penalties as a turnover! the pot is stirring, the chin straps polished, better add another buckle; this slobberknocking, ankle twisting, fest of 4A football will dominate the air waves of Texas High School football this weekend. I am still going with a Sweetwater upset and a Abilene Wylie victory for a Western Texas sweep! Been too long! Not sure about Sweetwater, but Abilene Wylie is the complete real deal. Individual players will have to refocus their shine time and play some team ball.

Dawgs
12-15-2016, 08:11 AM
The old West will be gunning for the speed runners of the East beginning noon Friday. Not knocking WOS or Carthage, but this is a different feel than past years speed kills games! The defenses will dominate the trenches, the offenses will struggle, but the strong will endure and overcome! I can see a low scoring game and turnovers will determine the outcome. Count any penalties as a turnover! the pot is stirring, the chin straps polished, better add another buckle; this slobberknocking, ankle twisting, fest of 4A football will dominate the air waves of Texas High School football this weekend. I am still going with a Sweetwater upset and a Abilene Wylie victory for a Western Texas sweep! Been too long! Not sure about Sweetwater, but Abilene Wylie is the complete real deal. Individual players will have to refocus their shine time and play some team ball.

This ETX speed thing does not apply to Carthage (And a team like Kilgore most years). Do they have some fast athletic kids? Yea they do. But Carthage wins on physicality and line play. They have since Surratt arrived. I think its unfortunate that people consistently lump Carthage in with the ETX speed demons. That is not Carthage's game. Carthage wants to be balanced and dominate in the trenches. This is 100% how they have won games. Now with that said every year we have a couple kids that can take it to the house on any play, and that is no different this year. Ingram in pads will out run pretty much anybody at this level if he gets to the second level untouched. But our game in this years playoffs, just like it is every year, is to pound teams until the break. We are happy early in games to get 4-5 yards per run, and try a couple of big plays in the passing game. Long drives that have the defense gassed in the 4th quarter. Keeps our defense off the field, so they can be fresh late and come up big in the 4th quarter. I just get a little irritated when people lump Carthage in with these ETX teams who have 3-4 play scoring drives, and have their defense on the field all night. That philosophy does not apply to Carthage. Carthage is an outlier just like AW, Argyle, LV, and some other teams. We love ETX football and are proud to be a part of such a great place for HS football, but Carthage does not take on the ETX persona just like the other teams I mentioned do not take on the persona of their areas. Carthage stands alone in its style of play. I honestly think their is not another team in the state at the 4a level who subscribes to the same offensive and defensive styles as Carthage does. For sure not on offense. I have never seen another HS team at the 4a and below levels run such a sophisticated scheme.

Dawgs
12-15-2016, 08:23 AM
When we played Carthage in Jerrah World in '13, they did a lot of things offensively that they hadn't really done all year. Not many HC's have the juevos to "experiment" in week 17. Surratt does.
Exactly. We pounded the ball with everybody. Runnng backs, QB, and WR. I don't think Bogie had a 100 yards rushing on the year, and he went over a 100 yards in the game. Pipkin and Goree both had rushing TD's. Bogie had thrown for over 4000 yards and 50+ TD's that season. In that game Carthage ran the ball 37 times for 264 yards. Only had 9 completions for 191 yards, and 1 of the completions was by a WR. Completely opposite from what we had done against all other teams. We went toe to toe with Kilgore at their game, and beat them. Carthage is just so diverse almost every year. There is just no way to game plan for a Surratt coached team. You don't know what the hell he is going to do, and it will prolly be the opposite of what you expect.

Dawgs
12-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Its getting close to game time, and I think everything that can be said has been. I honestly don't know who will win this game. On paper Wylie is probably the favorite. But this is the State Championship game, a game Surratt has never lost. Throw everything out the window. Regardless to what happens Carthage has blown any expectations out of the water. A 3rd place team in the state championship is a very unique thing. Just another testament to the Carthage playoff mantra. Win at all cost. Survive and advance. Get to this point, and see what happens. The ultimate gambler is in another high stakes game. I just won't pick against Surratt at this point in the season. I have no doubt that Sandifer is a top 3 coach in all of 4a, and one of the top coaches in the state. He is a HOF for a reason. But Surratt is something else. He coaches like somebody who has nothing to lose. The bigger the game the more you don't know what he is going to do. And this team has bought in all the way. This is by far his best job of coaching since he got here. No matter who wins I will be here to congratulate the winner. Good luck to both teams. I honestly mean that. One team will have their dreams come true, and the other will have theirs crushed. This is about the young men coming together as a team, and giving all they have. They will carry these lessons with them the rest of their lives win or lose. That is what its all about. I have no doubt both teams will win or lose with class. That is the character great programs build.

Dawgs
12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
http://etsn.fm/carthage-abilene-wylie-square-off-for-4a-division-i-title/

Dawgs
12-15-2016, 10:10 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzlSJqgUAAAmlsD.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzlSJqiUoAAd63g.jpg

oldtownag
12-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Its Gameday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hollywood
12-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Wishing safe travel to both teams and fans. I know it's going to be a true dog fight to the end!

lostaussie
12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
I truly hope this is as good a game as I think it will be.
Aussie says
Carthage 20
A Wylie 14

LionFan72
12-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Gameday has arrived, and I'm stuck on Wylie 24, Carthage 14. Good luck and safe travels to both teams and fans!!

ccmom
12-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Finally game day! Go Wylie Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!

cowboyandchrist
12-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Game almost here.
Going to be a great game.
The C Dawgs by 10.
I pray for no injuries and safe travel for fans.
Let's Go Dawgs !!!!
We believe in you C Dawgs.

LionFan72
12-16-2016, 04:09 PM
It's TIME, get ready to rumble. Go Wylie, go Sandifer! Win it for our district!

Saggy Aggie
12-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Carthage 30
Wylie 27

regaleagle
12-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Wylie 28
Carthage 22

Roughneck93
12-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Carthage 24
Wylie 21

Razorback88
12-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Wylie played with them for a half but Carthage physically dominating Wylie D in 2nd half

Razorback88
12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Wylie needs to quit throwing the ball

RPF2666
12-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Congratulations Carthage!!!

bobcat1
12-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Congrats to Carthage on the 5th! Heck of a season!

Congrats to Abilene Wylie! Heck of a season!

cowboyandchrist
12-16-2016, 09:02 PM
Wow, great game AW, you played hard.
This Dawg team will always be my favorite team. The hearts of these young men were as big as secretariats. They were down by 14 and said now we will show who we are. Shut out AW in the second half, they could not run on the Dawg front seven and had to throw into the best secondary in 4A D1.
The scary thing about this team is they will be big time loaded next year. All the super stars are juniors and if you were at the game and looked at the side lines you would have seen what has a chance to be the best O line of all time. The starting five O line will average 6' 4 280 lbs.
the defense brings back the house and the freshmen QB and tail back are the next super stars, they will be sophomores next year.
Coach Surratt is nothing short of amazing, you cannot bet against coach S in the playoffs.
Playing in the district of doom with Henderson and Kilgore and the rest will make you battle tested.
Thank you Dawgs from a big time fan. 5 state championships since coach S has been in Carthage (2007) is amazing and I feel we ain't through yet.
Go bless everyone and safe travel home.

buckeyebob
12-16-2016, 10:06 PM
Wow, great game AW, you played hard.
This Dawg team will always be my favorite team. The hearts of these young men were as big as secretariats. They were down by 14 and said now we will show who we are. Shut out AW in the second half, they could not run on the Dawg front seven and had to throw into the best secondary in 4A D1.
The scary thing about this team is they will be big time loaded next year. All the super stars are juniors and if you were at the game and looked at the side lines you would have seen what has a chance to be the best O line of all time. The starting five O line will average 6' 4 280 lbs.
the defense brings back the house and the freshmen QB and tail back are the next super stars, they will be sophomores next year.
Coach Surratt is nothing short of amazing, you cannot bet against coach S in the playoffs.
Playing in the district of doom with Henderson and Kilgore and the rest will make you battle tested.
Thank you Dawgs from a big time fan. 5 state championships since coach S has been in Carthage (2007) is amazing and I feel we ain't through yet.
Go bless everyone and safe travel home.

Congrats to the Dawgs...Spring workouts in 3 weeks...gotta come to Jeff Traylor this time

oldtownag
12-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Dawgs gonna roll Bucks next year. Even in Gilmore.

cowboyandchrist
12-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Dawgs by 10.
Let's Go C Dawgs !!!!

This is exactly what happened, forced them to throw into the best 4A D1 secondary.
I did not know if it would happen, but I knew if we could force AW to throw the ball we would win this game.
AW had a great D line, but AW number 89 was blocked the whole game, number 61 was a man child after play.
The C Dawg offensive line coach did a brilliant job preparing the O line for this game.
The C Dawg D won this ball game no question about it. AW could not run on the front seven and the C Dawg secondary perfected the tip drill.
Two great teams that went all the way to the fourth quarter before one would win.
You could not ask for a better game.
AW proved why they make deep runs in the playoffs every year, they are West Texas football, HARD HITTING and RELENTLESS.
I hope everyone on the down low has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
God Bless you and your families.