PDA

View Full Version : 4AD2 State Championship: Sweetwater (13-1) vs WO-S (15-0) Fri. 12/16 Noon @ AT&T

WOS87
12-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Mustangs vs Mustangs

FIRST meeting ever between the two although they came one game away from it way back in 1987 when Sweetwater lost to Rockwall in the 4A 1987 Semis and WOS went on to win over Rockwall the very next week in the State Championship.

WOS has been #1 and the favorite in D2 throughout the entire 2016 Season but now Sweetwater has turned some heads with a win over perennial power Gilmer in their first meeting. Will the same result happen next week?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-10-2016, 02:45 AM
After watching WOS completely dismantle a very good and well disciplined Navarro team tonight in person, I don't see how Sweetwater would be able to do any better.

SaltySixes
12-10-2016, 03:51 AM
After watching WOS completely dismantle a very good and well disciplined Navarro team tonight in person, I don't see how Sweetwater would be able to do any better.

Agreed. The rest of 4a d2 can try again next year!

10ForTheWin
12-10-2016, 06:11 AM
"WOS rolls bigly, it'll be yuge I tell you!" President Elect Donald Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razorback88
12-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Sweetwater shocks the world!!!!!
42-35

briandumith*
12-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Sweetwater is a true diamond in the rough. Not gonna call this one but I would not be surprised if Sweetwater wins.. Gilmer did not overlook them. Sweetwater was just the better team. So it is fitting that the two best teams play in the S.C.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

griff
12-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Sweetwater shocks the world!!!!!
42-35

Picking Sweetwater to win is one thing, but to say WO-S will give up 42 points to anyone in 4AD2 with that defense...no way.

rb585
12-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Anybody picking Sweetwater in this one is off the charts on the Homer Scale.

Phantom Stang
12-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Picking Sweetwater to win is one thing, but to say WO-S will give up 42 points to anyone in 4AD2 with that defense...no way.
You might be right about that. But remember, yall's offense is going to give up some points to the Mustangs as well!:taunt:

Inmateboss
12-10-2016, 11:47 AM
You might be right about that. But remember, yall's offense is going to give up some points to the Mustangs as well!:taunt:

Sweetwater wins it and so does Wylie !
#bringinggoldtowesttexas

canno
12-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Pulling for the Mustangs with that said wos wins big

SintonFan_inAustin
12-10-2016, 12:11 PM
After watching WOS completely dismantle a very good and well disciplined Navarro team tonight in person, I don't see how Sweetwater would be able to do any better.WOS dominates Slot T teams they've been mention it just about every year, not sure what Sweetwater runs but best shot of at least putting up points will be a team that has a qb that can run and pass out of the spread if that team is Sweetwater then could be a game for a qtr. Mustangs win :)

I'll be trying to make it to the games on Thursday and Friday with 2a Refugio, 3a Yoakum and then 4a West Orange Stark/Sweetwater and finish it with 5a Calallen. $15 tickets wonder if they have championship pass deal

slingshot
12-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Go Mustangs! Nobody outside of Nolan County picked y'all to beat Gilmer... now playing with house money. Play like you got nothing to lose! Good luck from your Abilene friends. Now schedule us in predistrict...

Inmateboss
12-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Go Mustangs! Nobody outside of Nolan County picked y'all to beat Gilmer... now playing with house money. Play like you got nothing to lose! Good luck from your Abilene friends. Now schedule us in predistrict...

I did ! West Texas Rockin it !

Stownhorse
12-10-2016, 04:33 PM
WOS dominates Slot T teams they've been mention it just about every year, not sure what Sweetwater runs but best shot of at least putting up points will be a team that has a qb that can run and pass out of the spread if that team is Sweetwater then could be a game for a qtr. Mustangs win :)

I'll be trying to make it to the games on Thursday and Friday with 2a Refugio, 3a Yoakum and then 4a West Orange Stark/Sweetwater and finish it with 5a Calallen. $15 tickets wonder if they have championship pass deal

That's Sweetwaters offense. Spread it out and throw it around.

lostaussie
12-10-2016, 04:59 PM
WOS dominates Slot T teams they've been mention it just about every year, not sure what Sweetwater runs but best shot of at least putting up points will be a team that has a qb that can run and pass out of the spread if that team is Sweetwater then could be a game for a qtr. Mustangs win :)

That's exactly what they do, but it's a little bit of a hybrid. They do a lot a sneaking around, but it's before the receivers get the ball. It's just different than a normal spread. It was almost like they had taken our offense and kicked it up a notch. Looking back on it, it was really fun to watch..........and I hope we learned from it.

Saggy Aggie
12-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Wos by 35+

WOS87
12-10-2016, 06:19 PM
WOS has seen the spread too with Nederland, Silsbee, Giddings and Robinson so it's not like we've never seen it not to mention all the spread teams pretty much 95% of our current starters started against last year. This will be nothing new and surprising to WOS.

briandumith*
12-10-2016, 06:41 PM
I picked them as well... I know what kind of team they are..

XX Man
12-10-2016, 08:53 PM
I think the 2 best teams played at Reliant Stadium, last night (WOS vs Navarro)

XX Man
12-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Hey Phantom, are the Flintstones laughing at the statement, "Sweetwater is good"? lol!

regaleagle
12-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Forget favorites.....this is Texas High School Playoff football at its best. I voted for Sweetwater too, haha. I guess all of Region I is voting for Sweetwater in this one.......Yeehaaa!!! :2thumbsup:1popcorn::smoker:

hollywood
12-10-2016, 09:47 PM
I'm picking Sweetwater for the "upset". They have proved to be a true contender, a heavy weight contender. Many will be stating "Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier!" Sweetwater has the talent, the coaching, the community support and the extra ingredient... a historically tradition rich program. Execution will be the key in this one.

hollywood
12-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Highly disagree. The result shows.

WOS87
12-10-2016, 09:56 PM
Looks like we're doomed :(

pirate4state
12-10-2016, 10:10 PM
WOS has seen the spread too with Nederland, Silsbee, Giddings and Robinson so it's not like we've never seen it not to mention all the spread teams pretty much 95% of our current starters started against last year. This will be nothing new and surprising to WOS.
LOL no one is saying that you haven't. Question was asked and answered.

pirate4state
12-10-2016, 10:11 PM

LMAO with one of those teams only managing 7 points? GMAB!

Saggy Aggie
12-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Wos doesn't know how to lose. this game will be over by midway thru the 2nd qtr....

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 12:15 AM
Wos doesn't know how to lose. this game will be over by midway thru the 2nd qtr....
They fixn ta get taught.. lol

WOS1
12-11-2016, 12:23 AM
They fixn ta get taught.. lol

Weve heard this every week... lol

44INAROW
12-11-2016, 12:32 AM

I think you're half right.

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Gonna here it again.. I guess the guys on the other side shouldn't even bother showing up.. I don't know who is going to win at Jerry World come Friday, but I will say this with all certainty.. Sweetwater can and just might do it. I have seen both Sweetwater and Wylie play one playoff game each and listened all season. They both have the ability to win it all. We shall see. I am not blinded by bias eyes.. I know what I have seen.

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 12:37 AM
Gonna here it again.. I guess the guys on the other side shouldn't even bother showing up.. I don't know who is going to win at Jerry World come Friday, but I will say this with all certainty.. Sweetwater can and just might do it. I have seen both Sweetwater and Wylie play one playoff game each and listened all season. They both have the ability to win it all. We shall see. I am not blinded by bias eyes.. I know what I have seen.

LOL, the Navarro guys thought they had a chance too. Its cute

Sweetwater has a great team. So did Navarro. But there's not a team in 4A that can even think about staying with WOS, including Carthage and Wylie. They will repeat as champs again this year and it wont be close.

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 12:38 AM
lol the navarro guys thought they had a chance too. Its cute
first step to victory is belief... Other wise why so up...

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 12:43 AM
first step to victory is belief... Other wise why so up...

I'd love to see an upset as much as anyone, but it simply is not going to happen.

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 12:49 AM
I'd love to see an upset as much as anyone, but it simply is not going to happen.
I like those odds! I am not saying SW wins. I am saying they can, and I am totally serious. That's a great team from the West.. Folks have not seen them.. We all know what WOS is...A Great Team no doubt.. Sw is an unknown.. Well ...I am here to say... They can win this game. We shall see.

Inmateboss
12-11-2016, 12:52 AM
I like those odds! I am not saying SW wins. I am saying they can, and I am totally serious. That's a great team from the West.. Folks have not seen them.. We all know what WOS is...A Great Team no doubt.. Sw is an unknown.. Well ...I am here to say... They can win this game. We shall see.

I'll say it, Sweetwater will Win it !

Cyrion
12-11-2016, 01:02 AM

You guys have a phenomenal team. Really amazing what WOS has been able to do the past few years. Heck, since the turn of the millennium, really.

Growing up in Sweetwater and having played for the Mustangs, the story we always got told was about the '85 championship team. People remember they beat Tomball for the title, but what folks forget is that the real "best team" that year was Westlake. Sweetwater got the privilege of playing them in the semis. The Westlake players and fans laughed at the Mustangs as they got off the bus. They saw a bunch of small kids from some nowhere place out in west Texas and figured it was going to be smooth sailing to the title game. The Mustangs then proceeded to play those giants from Westlake to a standstill, eventually winning the game on penetrations.

I am in no way predicting a Sweetwater victory. Honestly, everything I'm seeing/hearing about WOS' team makes me think they're all just practicing for their eventual D1 college debuts. Just know that we have a lot of pride, a rich history (close to 700 games won!), and even though we're just simple folk from the dusty reaches of the state. . .we come to play.

Cyrion
12-11-2016, 01:08 AM

Regardless of the outcome, I just wanted to say I appreciate seeing support from folks out in Graham.

My senior year we got the distinct privilege to play #5 ranked Graham in the first game of the playoffs in the Mustang Bowl. They had a great team and were all stand-up guys. Shook our hands and wished us luck for the rest of the playoffs. I even got to have a nice conversation and a laugh with the big defensive end I'd been banging heads with all game.

Graham has a lot of class.

XX Man
12-11-2016, 01:21 AM
You guys have a phenomenal team. Really amazing what WOS has been able to do the past few years. Heck, since the turn of the millennium, really.

Growing up in Sweetwater and having played for the Mustangs, the story we always got told was about the '85 championship team. People remember they beat Tomball for the title, but what folks forget is that the real "best team" that year was Westlake. Sweetwater got the privilege of playing them in the semis. The Westlake players and fans laughed at the Mustangs as they got off the bus. They saw a bunch of small kids from some nowhere place out in west Texas and figured it was going to be smooth sailing to the title game. The Mustangs then proceeded to play those giants from Westlake to a standstill, eventually winning the game on penetrations.

I am in no way predicting a Sweetwater victory. Honestly, everything I'm seeing/hearing about WOS' team makes me think they're all just practicing for their eventual D1 college debuts. Just know that we have a lot of pride, a rich history (close to 700 games won!), and even though we're just simple folk from the dusty reaches of the state. . .we come to play.

700 games won, is a heck of a record. Not sure how many wins WOS has, but they did not become WOS until 1978, so it is impossible to say they won 700 games. But, I did see some figures last year that showed WOS had the highest winning percentage of any Texas team for a number of years.

Yes, anything can happen on any given Friday night. I have faith in this team and Cornel, to get the job done. BUT, no way should WOS take SW for granted. WOS needs to go into this game and give it their all for 4 full quarters.

XX Man
12-11-2016, 01:34 AM
I looked at the Sweetwater / Gilmer highlights, and what came to me real quick was that the Sweetwater QB is an accurate passer, but, Gilmer's defensive secondary covered the receivers like socks on a roster (pretty loose). Sweetwater will not see that with WOS, and that QB will be scrambling.

Third
12-11-2016, 03:29 AM
Everyone is saying go Mustangs but arent they both Mustangs?

LionFan72
12-11-2016, 10:21 AM
The Mustangs will win, and I'll go with the upset alert, and say the Sweetwater Mustangs will be the winners by a nose. I am pretty sure that the ball will be on the ground some, hard hitting and tight coverage will dictate who wins this! Pray for no injuries and a clean game, both teams will come out winners!! BEST I remember, Sweetwater was pre-season #1 in state, and then WOS took over mid season, guess we will get to remove the non=players/sayers, and finish this on the field. Good luck to both teams, play hard, play clean,and remember this is a game!

10ForTheWin
12-11-2016, 10:22 AM

I guess we will find out on Friday. And another thing you aren't taking into account, in the Navarro/WOS game is the game went from about to be 14-7, we had a home run wide open pass dropped and about 4 playing time minutes later it was 28-0, that's a really big swing. WOS got on top quick and early and Navarro just got rolled. WOS was clearly the better team, Navarro could've had played there best game, and still wouldn't have won. But I still believe that the two best teams played last Friday, it's all about matchups, and the fact that WOS is just that good.

LionFan72
12-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Guess all you youngsters forget the fact that West Texas was the power football region of Texas for nigh on 50 years, yes the power has shifted as folks left the West chasing the all mighty dollars, but we out here in the dusty West so find competition glorious and occasionally find a nugget or two left lying around.

griff
12-11-2016, 10:48 AM

From what I've seen on film, Sweetwater is better than Navarro.

griff
12-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Guess all you youngsters forget the fact that West Texas was the power football region of Texas for nigh on 50 years, yes the power has shifted as folks left the West chasing the all mighty dollars, but we out here in the dusty West so find competition glorious and occasionally find a nugget or two left lying around.

Some of you west Texas homers and Sweetwater fans act like WO-S is part of some gigantic metro high dollar mini-college football program. You are confusing us with Houston area schools and some of that superiority complex barked out by east Texas folks and their football teams. If you want to appreciate your opponent more (which you should, as we do your team), then educate yourself on Orange, TX and the Golden Triangle. Orange, TX is a small town in SOUTH east Texas on the border with La. It is a very blue collar community with small town values. Because the area is dependent on the petro-chemical plants for bulk of it's economy, we have seen a shrinkage of population since the 1980's, just as Sweetwater and many other west Texas towns have seen since the oil jobs were shrunk in the 1980's. WO-S does not have fancy football facilities and millionaire sponsors. We have a very demanding football coach who has been with the school since the 1960's. Our players are humble kids who benefit from a supportive community. They are not prima donnas innspite of their #1 ranking and high expectations. The team is made up of hard-working football players who have to endure a demanding off-season program and daily practices that are not for soft-minded young men or parents who want to baby their kids. We happen to have a lot more in common with old-fashioned west Texas football and Sweetwater itself than you might think. Don't be fooled into thinking that the WO-S players and coaches are overlooking Sweetwater, nor will they be overconfident going into this game. They really don't care that Gilmer is not the opponent. I can tell you this from knowing the coaches, players, and their parents personally. They just want to win a state championship very badly. This Friday at 12:00pm you will see a well-prepared. focused, and intense football team from WO-S.

bag-o-chips
12-11-2016, 12:37 PM
I can assure you Sweetwater has not seen total team speed like they will see. WOS by 21 points

WOS92
12-11-2016, 12:41 PM
The Mustangs will win, and I'll go with the upset alert, and say the Sweetwater Mustangs will be the winners by a nose. I am pretty sure that the ball will be on the ground some, hard hitting and tight coverage will dictate who wins this! Pray for no injuries and a clean game, both teams will come out winners!! BEST I remember, Sweetwater was pre-season #1 in state, and then WOS took over mid season, guess we will get to remove the non=players/sayers, and finish this on the field. Good luck to both teams, play hard, play clean,and remember this is a game!

I don't know where you saw those rankings, but Argyle was #1, WOS was #2, Sweetwater was #18.

WOS92
12-11-2016, 12:42 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/content/sports/Texas-AP-high-school-football-poll---August-29-391639561.html

GetRDoneStangs
12-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Some of you west Texas homers and Sweetwater fans act like WO-S is part of some gigantic metro high dollar mini-college football program. You are confusing us with Houston area schools and some of that superiority complex barked out by east Texas folks and their football teams. If you want to appreciate your opponent more (which you should, as we do your team), then educate yourself on Orange, TX and the Golden Triangle. Orange, TX is a small town in SOUTH east Texas on the border with La. It is a very blue collar community with small town values. Because the area is dependent on the petro-chemical plants for bulk of it's economy, we have seen a shrinkage of population since the 1980's, just as Sweetwater and many other west Texas towns have seen since the oil jobs were shrunk in the 1980's. WO-S does not have fancy football facilities and millionaire sponsors. We have a very demanding football coach who has been with the school since the 1960's. Our players are humble kids who benefit from a supportive community. They are not prima donnas innspite of their #1 ranking and high expectations. The team is made up of hard-working football players who have to endure a demanding off-season program and daily practices that are not for soft-minded young men or parents who want to baby their kids. We happen to have a lot more in common with old-fashioned west Texas football and Sweetwater itself than you might think. Don't be fooled into thinking that the WO-S players and coaches are overlooking Sweetwater, nor will they be overconfident going into this game. They really don't care that Gilmer is not the opponent. I can tell you this from knowing the coaches, players, and their parents personally. They just want to win a state championship very badly. This Friday at 12:00pm you will see a well-prepared. focused, and intense football team from WO-S.

I understand what you are saying about WOS and their community. Anyone that has ever been to the Golden Triangle area of Texas should understand. If you haven't just google it or look at Wikipedia
and you can see that, but I haven't really seen too many of the homers referring either way.

I agree that both communities are pretty much blue collar and the oilfield has affected both, but Sweetwater has a diverse economy with the Wind Industry...but that industry is more adapted to single and younger folks that can climb and work 270 feet up. In other words not a lot of school age children so our enrollment has continued to decline over the years.

This years team is typical for Sweetwater....not huge in size...but good speed, very smart and well coached. They too have worked hard since the summer and had a mission like everyone else to finish on top...last year ended way too early due to 5-6 starters not finishing the season due to injuries. But I will say...they did not make excuses for the quick exit...more was made from the media on the injuries. They just have worked hard and took care of business to get to the finals.

This team is very disciplined and executes the game plan very well. If the Mustangs in Blue win it, will be because they are the better team. They will leave the field knowing they have been hit hard and challenged to the end.

I am excited about the game as I get to cover the sidelines for our radio..and being a die hard Cowboy fan..well that is icing on the cake!

Good luck, safe travels and let's play some football!

Aesculus gilmus
12-11-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't know where you saw those rankings, but Argyle was #1, WOS was #2, Sweetwater was #18.

If you mean AP rankings, and I think you do because the poll you're quoting doesn't distinguish between D1 and D2, those are always worthless IMO.

Sweetwater has always been high in the MaxPreps rankings. I looked up two score predictors (Adjusted Stats and USA Today) before our game with them. One said Gilmer would win 35-34 and the other 42-36. So even though their win over Gilmer was an upset; it wasn't MUCH of an upset.

I do think a lot of our fans (not coaches or the team) took this game lightly and probably a few had to cancel hotel reservations they'd already made in Arlington.

GetRDoneStangs
12-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Regardless of the outcome, I just wanted to say I appreciate seeing support from folks out in Graham.

My senior year we got the distinct privilege to play #5 ranked Graham in the first game of the playoffs in the Mustang Bowl. They had a great team and were all stand-up guys. Shook our hands and wished us luck for the rest of the playoffs. I even got to have a nice conversation and a laugh with the big defensive end I'd been banging heads with all game.

Graham has a lot of class.

:iagree:

WOS92
12-11-2016, 02:22 PM
If you mean AP rankings, and I think you do because the poll you're quoting doesn't distinguish between D1 and D2, those are always worthless IMO.

Sweetwater has always been high in the MaxPreps rankings. I looked up two score predictors (Adjusted Stats and USA Today) before our game with them. One said Gilmer would win 35-34 and the other 42-36. So even though their win over Gilmer was an upset; it wasn't MUCH of an upset.

I do think a lot of our fans (not coaches or the team) took this game lightly and probably a few had to cancel hotel reservations they'd already made in Arlington.

I referred to the AP, but I also checked the DCTF rankings, but Sweetwater wasn't ranked. I will check out the Maxpreps rankings, but it seems odd that anyone would have been "ranked" above WOS in D2 because they returned 17 starters back from a state championship team. I do not doubt that Sweetwater will be in this one, but it seems really, really strange that anyone would have had them #1.

WOS92
12-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Where are the maxpreps "rankings?" All I find is leaders in points allowed and points scored.

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 03:30 PM
The question isn't the outcome. It's if it'll even be close at all. No offense to Sweetwater, WOS is just that good. It will be very evident on Friday

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I can assure you Sweetwater has not seen total team speed like they will see. WOS by 21 points
You would be wrong. Most of the good West Texas teams rely on speed because they do not have the size.WOS is fast and not huge either. Right into SWs wheelhouse. Speed is a norm in West Texas...Try again..

SWMustang
12-11-2016, 04:22 PM

I was there!

Matthew328
12-11-2016, 04:29 PM
If you are picking Sweetwater you are certainly picking with your heart....WOS is a clear favorite, they have the pedigree, the experience and a historically good defense....everything on paper favors WOS....anyone telling you otherwise is just fooling themselves...

That being said anything can happen on a given day and if there is an offense that can hurt the WOS defense its a quick passing game with a mobile QB....running right at WOS is a total waste of time and you will be asking to get blown out....

Aesculus gilmus
12-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Where are the maxpreps "rankings?" All I find is leaders in points allowed and points scored.

Do you have a membership? They're free. But I think the rankings won't show up for you unless you're a member.

Right now WOS is ranked No. 1, of course.

1 West Orange-Stark (Orange) 15-0 61.9 22.9
2 Sweetwater 13-1 47.5 17.4
3 Gilmer 13-2 44.9 25.5
4 Navarro (Geronimo) 14-1 43.4 20.0
5 Cuero 13-1 38.5 9.6
6 Giddings 11-3 37.9 25.0
7 Gladewater 8-3 36.1 23.6
8 Seminole 9-4 35.0 23.3
9 Bellville 9-4 33.0 22.9
10 Celina 11-3 32.4 16.0
11 Liberty 10-3 31.4 18.9
12 Monahans 9-4 30.6 17.7
13 Perryton 9-2 29.1 14.7
14 Krum 10-2 28.7 13.8
15 Robinson 9-3 28.2 20.7
16 Lorena 8-4 28.0 20.1
17 Jasper 10-3 27.1 12.9
18 Wimberley 10-3 26.9 14.6
19 Atlanta 6-4 26.4 21.3
20 Hardin-Jefferson (Sour Lake) 7-4 26.1 17.8
21 Iowa Park 9-3 23.8 15.2
22 Wharton 8-5 23.6 14.9
23 Tatum 7-4 22.2 20.3
24 Shepherd 7-3 21.8 10.1
25 Pleasant Grove (Texarkana) 6-7 21.6 22.4

Matthew328
12-11-2016, 04:31 PM
History is a funny thing and in 1988 WOS was a massive favorite in the state title game and they were upset by Paris that year.....has nothing to do with today but an interesting nugget

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 04:58 PM
If you are picking Sweetwater you are certainly picking with your heart....WOS is a clear favorite, they have the pedigree, the experience and a historically good defense....everything on paper favors WOS....anyone telling you otherwise is just fooling themselves...

That being said anything can happen on a given day and if there is an offense that can hurt the WOS defense its a quick passing game with a mobile QB....running right at WOS is a total waste of time and you will be asking to get blown out....
I am not picking with my heart.. You are incorrect with that entirely uneducated opinion of the Sweetwater fan.. I had the same opinion as most UNTIL I saw them play in Graham a couple of weeks ago in the area round. I found SW lightning fast. They swarm the ball like bees. The secondary is absolutely amazing..Ask Gilmer about them. The O is precise with near perfection at times. They won me over.. I rarely root for teams other than Graham. Only proven Winners like Argyle, Wylie, Stephenville or Cisco. Sweetwater could win this one.. That's NOT from the heart. It is from an educated NEW fan.

Matthew328
12-11-2016, 05:05 PM
I am not picking with my heart.. You are incorrect with that entirely uneducated opinion of the Sweetwater fan.. I had the same opinion as most UNTIL I saw them play in Graham a couple of weeks ago in the area round. I found SW lightning fast. They swarm the ball like bees. The secondary is absolutely amazing..Ask Gilmer about them. The O is precise with near perfection at times. They won me over.. I rarely root for teams other than Graham. Only proven Winners like Argyle, Wylie, Stephenville or Cisco. Sweetwater could win this one.. That's NOT from the heart. It is from an educated NEW fan.

You can really only make an educated pick if you've seen WOS....if you've seen WOS and you still feel Sweetwater will win then its a difference of opinion...I've seen entire games on HUDL of both teams....

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 05:10 PM
You can really only make an educated pick if you've seen WOS....if you've seen WOS and you still feel Sweetwater will win then its a difference of opinion...I've seen entire games on HUDL of both teams....
I have seen WOS of course.. I think they are definitely worthy of the #1 ranking.. Fantastic team no doubt.. Sweetwater CAN beat them. I am not saying they will. It is entirely wrong to dismiss SW because the other team "seems" unbeatable. I am not saying that's what you are doing but a lot of posters are. They are both absolutely where they should be this week.

Matthew328
12-11-2016, 05:14 PM
I have seen WOS of course.. I think they are definitely worthy of the #1 ranking.. Fantastic team no doubt.. Sweetwater CAN beat them. I am not saying they will. It is entirely wrong to dismiss SW because the other team "seems" unbeatable. I am not saying that's what you are doing but a lot of posters are. They are both absolutely where they should be this week.

Dismissing a team is saying a team has no chance....Sweetwater has a chance because the game is being played and its txhsfb BUT I think any sort of rational view of the game would tilt the scales to WOS....games aren't won on paper so anything can happen.....

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Dismissing a team is saying a team has no chance....Sweetwater has a chance because the game is being played and its txhsfb BUT I think any sort of rational view of the game would tilt the scales to WOS....games aren't won on paper so anything can happen.....
Absolutely I agree %100 for what that's worth ..lol.. I can't make the games but I will be the happiest couch potato come all day Friday. To me 4a football is it purest form. Big enough to have true talent on both sides, but not so big to be drowned by all the big city noise..

WOS92
12-11-2016, 05:39 PM

I haven't watched the game yet, but you call the secondary "amazing." I know they had four picks, but they also allowed 340 yards and 2 TDs through the air. Were the yards a few very long passes or a mixture of long, short, midrange? I'm not arguing. I'm asking.

GUNHO
12-11-2016, 06:22 PM
History is a funny thing and in 1988 WOS was a massive favorite in the state title game and they were upset by Paris that year.....has nothing to do with today but an interesting nugget

I was going to reply to your other post about this...It wasn't if we would win,it was by how much.As you say has nothing to do with today.

Razorback88
12-11-2016, 06:28 PM
WOS is clearly the favorite but if they don't come to play Sweetwater can beat them. S''water will be able to match WOS athleticism and the Jr QB Thompson is a special player

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 06:31 PM
I haven't watched the game yet, but you call the secondary "amazing." I know they had four picks, but they also allowed 340 yards and 2 TDs through the air. Were the yards a few very long passes or a mixture of long, short, midrange? I'm not arguing. I'm asking.
Simple SW got up big so Gilmer was forced to pass constantly. When it counted they got pics and stopped them.. Gilmer got with in 7 and had the ball. SW got the pic. Gilmer became one dimensional. The SW secondary made the difference in that game. You are not going to stop a QB like Gilmer has..Check his numbers. BUT they did control the game trough the secondary. Watch that game if you can you will see what I am saying.

rb585
12-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Gilmer has one of the best QBs in 4A. He has put up video game numbers. Went over 4K yards this season during their 13th game.

XX Man
12-11-2016, 07:23 PM

Why you wanting an upset?

XX Man
12-11-2016, 07:28 PM
I watched the Gilmer / Sweetwater game highlights, and I failed to see any of the blazing speed people keep talking about. Of course, until I see them up against a known opponent, it can be deceiving.

pirate4state
12-11-2016, 07:34 PM

Quick passing game is what we had 2 years ago and we managed to hang with them through 3 quarters. Not that that matters but I like to throw Sinton in there just for grins :D

As you and others have stated WOS is the heavy favorite, even realistic Sweetwater fans realize this, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't and can't vocally support their team. We (the collective members of this board) all are guilty of being dismissive towards certain teams, but both these teams have earned their way to the title game and we should try and at least be respectful of them. (haha I know it's hard for some of us)

I can't WAIT to watch this game and see what, if anything the RED Mustangs can do against the BLUE Mustangs. Seems to be the year for RED to be winners though ;)

GO RED!!! :cheerl:

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Why you wanting an upset?

I dont necessarily "want" an upset. I really dont care who wins. I like to see an underdog win as much as the next guy though

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
S''water will be able to match WOS athleticism

No they wont.....

griff
12-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Quick passing game is what we had 2 years ago and we managed to hang with them through 3 quarters. Not that that matters but I like to throw Sinton in there just for grins :D

As you and others have stated WOS is the heavy favorite, even realistic Sweetwater fans realize this, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't and can't vocally support their team. We (the collective members of this board) all are guilty of being dismissive towards certain teams, but both these teams have earned their way to the title game and we should try and at least be respectful of them. (haha I know it's hard for some of us)

I can't WAIT to watch this game and see what, if anything the RED Mustangs can do against the BLUE Mustangs. Seems to be the year for RED to be winners though ;)

Rooting for the underdog is gonna revoke your honorary WO-S membership. Watch it, little lady...lol.

pirate4state
12-11-2016, 07:47 PM
No they wont.....

you haven't even seen Sweetwater play fool -- I'm sure many thought they couldn't match Gilmer's athleticism and they did :p

rb585
12-11-2016, 07:48 PM
:

I have huge respect for Sweetwater and any other team that can win playoff games for 5 straight weeks. They're a great team.

But the reality is that they're huuuuuuuuge underdogs, and anyone on this board willing to put their money where their mouth is wouldn't be betting on a Sweetwater victory this week.

pirate4state
12-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Rooting for the underdog is gonna revoke your honorary WO-S membership. Watch it, little lady...lol.

My man is a Sweetwater alum and I have tons of family in Sweetwater. You're gonna have to give me a pass for this game. :)

griff
12-11-2016, 07:57 PM
My man is a Sweetwater alum and I have tons of family in Sweetwater. You're gonna have to give me a pass for this game. :)

Understood. You're excused...just this once. You have connections all over the state, don't you?

pirate4state
12-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Understood. You're excused...just this once. You have connections all over the state, don't you?

Yes sir! :D

lostaussie
12-11-2016, 08:21 PM

So I was reading this thread a hundred miles an hour........and then I saw this.........and got a big laugh.

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2016, 09:55 PM
you haven't even seen Sweetwater play fool -- I'm sure many thought they couldn't match Gilmer's athleticism and they did :p

Don't need to....

WOS1
12-11-2016, 11:07 PM

Just curious, how many WOS games have you witnessed?

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Just curious, how many WOS games have you witnessed?

WOS1
12-11-2016, 11:14 PM

So, why are YOU pulling for Red?????

I feel betrayed...

WOS1
12-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Not possible

briandumith*
12-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Not possible
Ok. Your opinion.. I don't need to explain it.. I can't anyway..

SintonFan_inAustin
12-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Not picking a team just hoping for a great game from the Red and Blue Mustangs.

P4S thought you didn't like Mustangs lol

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2016, 07:32 AM

I went back in my old email from Dec. 8 and found a reply I made to a prominent Gilmer booster who had sent me a clip of Sweetwater in action:

"That is a scary-looking team for West Texas. From what I've read the coach is a West Texas version of Jeff Traylor who wants to move on to the college ranks soon."

The booster, who shall remain nameless, was dismissive of my concern and predicted a 52-22 Buckeye win.

So, yeah, until you've seen them play, don't just assume the reason they won all those games was because of an inferior schedule. They may just be good.

buff4ever
12-12-2016, 12:16 PM
I am not saying that Sweetwater is a slouch from west texas, I am saying that WOS is better. WOS by 21.

movethechain
12-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Oh, this one sure has the feel of the recent presidential election. One side with a big lead in the poll and all the, "how can we loose", bravado.

toddg
12-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Sweetwater is a true diamond in the rough. Not gonna call this one but I would not be surprised if Sweetwater wins.. Gilmer did not overlook them. Sweetwater was just the better team. So it is fitting that the two best teams play in the S.C.

you would be suprised..

toddg
12-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I went back in my old email from Dec. 8 and found a reply I made to a prominent Gilmer booster who had sent me a clip of Sweetwater in action:

"That is a scary-looking team for West Texas. From what I've read the coach is a West Texas version of Jeff Traylor who wants to move on to the college ranks soon."

The booster, who shall remain nameless, was dismissive of my concern and predicted a 52-22 Buckeye win.

So, yeah, until you've seen them play, don't just assume the reason they won all those games was because of an inferior schedule. They may just be good.
they won all those games, and lost one. gilmer's defense just wasnt good, sweetwater's offense was...wos defense dominating, just do the math..

Phantom Stang
12-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Hey Phantom, are the Flintstones laughing at the statement, "Sweetwater is good"? lol!
Naw, they're just smiling and dancing while saying it and believing it. Like you'll be doing this coming Friday along about mid-afternoon.
You probably won't feel like doing much dancing though.:D

pirate4state
12-12-2016, 01:47 PM
So, why are YOU pulling for Red?????

I feel betrayed...

:D Don't feel betrayed...I still love you guys, just gotta go with RED this week.
Check your PMs.

pirate4state
12-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Not picking a team just hoping for a great game from the Red and Blue Mustangs.

P4S thought you didn't like Mustangs lol

HA! I don't! I rarely say GO M********....I just say good luck Sweetwater or GO RED :D :D

briandumith*
12-12-2016, 02:06 PM
you would be suprised..
No it would not surprise me. I Think the they can win.

d0tc0m
12-12-2016, 02:12 PM
As long as our QB doesn't break his arm again, I really like the Bobcats by at least ...

Oh. Frick. Nevermind.

rb585
12-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Oh, this one sure has the feel of the recent presidential election. One side with a big lead in the poll and all the, "how can we loose", bravado.
:crazy:

jason
12-12-2016, 02:49 PM
for what it's worth, pigskin prep has WOS as a 22 point favorite...

STANG RED
12-12-2016, 06:37 PM
The question isn't the outcome. It's if it'll even be close at all. No offense to Sweetwater, WOS is just that good. It will be very evident on Friday

Seems I remember you and many others picking Gilmer by 30+, saying Sweetwater has no chance. How'd that work out for ya? I don't know if it'll be enough to win, but I can tell you, WOS hasn't seen a defense like what Sweetwater will bring. I hear WOS like to throw the ball a lot. Sweetwater has picked off I think 24 this season so far. The Gilmer QB had only thrown 3 all season. Sweetwater picked him off 4 times, and had their hands on at least 6 more. It should be a good game, and it may not be decided till late in the 4th. I seriously don't see WOS running away with it.

GUNHO
12-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Seems I remember you and many others picking Gilmer by 30+, saying Sweetwater has no chance. How'd that work out for ya? I don't know if it'll be enough to win, but I can tell you, WOS hasn't seen a defense like what Sweetwater will bring. I hear WOS like to throw the ball a lot. Sweetwater has picked off I think 24 this season so far. The Gilmer QB had only thrown 3 all season. Sweetwater picked him off 4 times, and had their hands on at least 6 more. It should be a good game, and it may not be decided till late in the 4th. I seriously don't see WOS running away with it.

Gilmer put up what 35 on that defense.Just saying.

solocam
12-12-2016, 07:07 PM
west orange stark by 24

WOS92
12-12-2016, 08:02 PM

WOS practices against the WOS defense. No comparison.

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Gilmer QB had 10 interceptions coming into this game. He's very fortunate it wasn't more than that. Defenders have been dropping at least an INT or two in every game he's played.

Sweetwater has an excellent defense. I just wanted to correct the stat.

Poppy is great and I absolutely love his competitive spirit, but as you saw, he's not very tall. He's probably the best QB for his size that I've ever seen.

Stownhorse
12-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Gilmer put up what 35 on that defense.Just saying.

Doesn't matter they got the L. Gilmer should have ran the ball more. They were suppose to play WOS for the whole enchilada this Friday, right? That's the best passing offense we have seen all season and I'm sure WOS passing is just as good or better. It's in the past.

I have been telling my coworkers we haven't had a secondary this good since I was in school('03-'07) and I truly believe it. Hell, they may be better. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised either way this game could go.

WOS1
12-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Gilmer QB had 10 interceptions coming into this game. He's very fortunate it wasn't more than that. Defenders have been dropping at least an INT or two in every game he's played.

Sweetwater has an excellent defense. I just wanted to correct the stat.

Poppy is great and I absolutely love his competitive spirit, but as you saw, he's not very tall. He's probably the best QB for his size that I've ever seen.

And according to and article I read, SW has 19 INT's not 24... Another stat that needs correcting.

WOS1
12-12-2016, 11:21 PM
After watching a few SW games, they really remind me of the Sinton team from a couple of years ago that we played in the semifinals.

LewPatt
12-13-2016, 07:55 AM
Good luck RED Mustangs!

pancho villa
12-13-2016, 09:01 AM
WOS 42 Auga Dulce 0

d0tc0m
12-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Does the DownLow have someone in place to cook all this crow, in the event that Sweetwater does win?

pancho villa
12-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Does the DownLow have someone in place to cook all this crow, in the event that Sweetwater does win?

Ain't going to happen

rb585
12-13-2016, 11:12 AM
:rolleyes:

WOS sees a much better defense every day in practice.

pirate4state
12-13-2016, 11:33 AM
And according to and article I read, SW has 19 INT's not 24... Another stat that needs correcting.

According to MaxPreps stats they have 22 in 14 games

waterboy
12-13-2016, 12:37 PM
I wasn't one of those that bought into Sweetwater having no chance against Gilmer. I did think Gilmer would play better than they did, and I thought that Gilmer would likely win. I was sorely disappointed in our game planning and execution, to say the least.

Now, West Orange-Stark won't likely make the kind of mistakes Gilmer made, and they are much better on the defensive side of the ball for sure. I think it will take an almost perfect game by Sweetwater, and a few mistakes by WO-S, for the red mustangs to win. I will NOT say it can't happen, but the odds are against it. Personally, I hope Sweetwater can win, and I'll be pulling for them.

I'm just hoping somebody has a good game against WO-S for a change. I don't want to see a blowout either way. Those are boring to watch....., unless it's my team winning. :D

WOS1
12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
According to MaxPreps stats they have 22 in 14 games

3 sources and 3 different numbers. Wonder which is the most accurate????

44INAROW
12-13-2016, 03:11 PM

I was going to 'make a funny' with something like - do I hear 23 in 15 games? going once, twice... SOLD - 23 in 15 games it is :)

I was at the house during my lunch hour and my husband was just killing time, waiting on an appointment and I suggested he go set the DVR for the games he wants to watch.... He commented that he's very excited to see the 6 Man games - we've never seen 6 man, live, tape or whatever - I haven't looked at the schedule... will the 6 Man games be televised?

waterboy
12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
The 6-man games will be on webcast, not on live TV.

44INAROW
12-13-2016, 04:16 PM

thanks... I will get him lined up on the Ipad :)

briandumith*
12-13-2016, 04:31 PM
I am very interested to see how Iraan does in the 2a game. After the stress and the tragedy they have had. I hope they are able to come together and play a great game.

d0tc0m
12-13-2016, 04:37 PM

Will the other games be webcast as well? I'll be at work for most of them, but would still like to watch, if possible.

waterboy
12-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Will the other games be webcast as well? I'll be at work for most of them, but would still like to watch, if possible.

All the games are available on the Fox Sports Go app, if I'm not mistaken.

waterboy
12-13-2016, 05:10 PM
I am very interested to see how Iraan does in the 2a game. After the stress and the tragedy they have had. I hope they are able to come together and play a great game.

I would love to see Iraan win it, but have you seen Bremond's one man wrecking crew, Raushaud Paul? I don't think anybody can stop him. If Iraan can at least contain him they have a shot.

lostaussie
12-13-2016, 09:03 PM

Can someone post a link to this. I was really hoping to watch some 6man tomorrow night

movethechain
12-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Can someone post a link to this. I was really hoping to watch some 6man tomorrow night

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/131963/6-man-football-class-1a-division-2-championships

pirate4state
12-13-2016, 10:43 PM

Local newspaper has them at 24 after Gilmer game and they get stats from the coaches - so I would say that's accurate.

griff
12-13-2016, 11:18 PM
Local newspaper has them at 24 after Gilmer game and they get stats from the coaches - so I would say that's accurate.

We'll go with your account of this since you're such a rabid red Mustang fan.

44INAROW
12-14-2016, 12:10 AM
https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/131963/6-man-football-class-1a-division-2-championships

Thanks. I'm as anxious as the Mr to see some 6 man high scoring offense

briandumith*
12-14-2016, 12:19 AM
Thanks. I'm as anxious as the Mr to see some 6 man high scoring offense

They are very fun to watch. Graham's two closest neighbor's are 6 man.. Newcastle and Bryson. I try to catch the game when they play each other. BIG rivalry game.. lots of fun to see. Another neighbor Throckmorton has won several S.C.s in the last decade.. Good stuff!

lostaussie
12-14-2016, 09:26 AM
They are very fun to watch. Graham's two closest neighbor's are 6 man.. Newcastle and Bryson. I try to catch the game when they play each other. BIG rivalry game.. lots of fun to see. Another neighbor Throckmorton has won several S.C.s in the last decade.. Good stuff!

Our neighbor, Union Hill, stole Throckmortons coach and in their second year of 6 man went to semis.

SaltySixes
12-14-2016, 09:29 AM

Just wait for the results this week!

rb585
12-14-2016, 10:08 AM
I would love to see Iraan win it, but have you seen Bremond's one man wrecking crew, Raushaud Paul? I don't think anybody can stop him. If Iraan can at least contain him they have a shot.

Yep. I have a feeling that he's going to single-handedly put the kibosh on a great story.

pirate4state
12-14-2016, 10:22 AM
We'll go with your account of this since you're such a rabid red Mustang fan.

HA! As it turns out -- I just found out a former Sinton coach is on the staff at Sweetwater! He left in 2003 before I got involved with the program, but that's just another tie for me :D :wave: :D

LionFan72
12-15-2016, 05:05 AM
The full moon this week sets in the West, shining longer and brighter! Lots of bantering here, don't have a dog in the hunt, but I'm still feeling a UPSET in this one! Sweetwater wins in a squeaker! I will give WOS the kudos they deserve if they win by 1 or 40! It's all about the game in the hearts of high school kids that matters. Gonna be a fire in AT&T brought on by two great teams leaving it on the field.

WOS87
12-15-2016, 05:11 AM
wait what? you woke me up from my nap before my five hour drive. Yeah.. you're all probably right. Go Sweetwater.. I'm going back to sleep. See you there.

XX Man
12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Naw, they're just smiling and dancing while saying it and believing it. Like you'll be doing this coming Friday along about mid-afternoon.
You probably won't feel like doing much dancing though.:D

Sure looks like the Flintstones are laughing at the statement.

I will be at the game, will you?

XX Man
12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
The moon is no longer full, so I think that says something to your hypothesis.

XX Man
12-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Auga Dulce is another town, down close to Kingsville.

XX Man
12-15-2016, 09:34 AM
I promise if WOS loses, I will disappear! haha

d0tc0m
12-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Didn't Rocket say something similar to this back in 2010? He stayed pretty true to his word.

briandumith*
12-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Didn't Rocket say something similar to this back in 2010? He stayed pretty true to his word.
He showed up last year for a game or two. I expect he'll be back if Brownwood makes a run anytime soon. :rolleyes:

lostaussie
12-16-2016, 08:31 AM
With all due respect to my Sweetwater buds......the Aussies prediction is WOS 48 Sweetwater 8. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a great game. Good luck to all the Mustangs.

buckeyebob
12-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Yep...pulling for Sweetwater...Bux have 2 losses in 2016...Sweetwater & Carthage

LionFan72
12-16-2016, 09:47 AM

Nah, come on, be the man! Things happen on the field only a 16-18 years can deal with, don't take it personal. Both teams are deserving a championship ring, and one will be disappointed. Gonna be a great solid game, don't blink.

44INAROW
12-16-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm at work (and will be until 5:00) have my PC signed in and waiting for High Noon kickoff.... .... come on 12:00 :)

Roughneck93
12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
http://i.giphy.com/YPIrsRqqO7oB2.gif

Roughneck93
12-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Wow...95 yard scoop and score.

Aesculus gilmus
12-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Wow...95 yard scoop and score.

Regions 3 and 4 may be weaker than 1 and 2.

WOS had me convinced. I thought it'd be at least 21-0 in their favor after one quarter.

bansheefan03
12-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Very surprised how few players wos has on roster 25-30 guys on sideline

d0tc0m
12-16-2016, 01:51 PM

That is a little shocking. Do they not allow their JV to travel with them?

Phantom Stang
12-16-2016, 10:42 PM

What did I tell ya.:D I only wish our offense had scored some points to make the "as well" part of my post applicable.

Anyhow, congrats to the West Orange Stark Mustangs for a deserving win.

XX Man
12-17-2016, 07:36 AM

Looks like I am not going anywhere. haha

XX Man
12-17-2016, 07:47 AM

WOS never has more than about 25-28 players. Most kids cannot, or will not, stand up to the conditioning program. It is very demanding. Then, the "Mustang Mile" takes most of the big guys out of the picture. I don't know what the time requirement is, but they have to be able to run a mile within a certain time. If you cannot make it, you don't play. At one point this year, I saw 32 players on the side line, which is the most I have seen in about 15 years.

What can I say about the game? WOS took the reception and drove the ball to the 1 ft line. Sweetwater could not stop them and WOS could do no wrong. Fumbled on the hand off, Sweetwater takes it for a TD. This was a double edge sword. It demoralized WOS, and pumped Sweetwater up. For the rest of the first half, WOS could not seem to get rolling against a pumped up, well coached defense. Can't take anything away from Sweetwater. Those boys played their hearts out. In the end, it was not enough to overcome the dominating WOS defense, and even WOS offense picked back up. It was not the win I wanted, but it was a win, none the less.

Sweetwater has a good QB, but they need to not rely on him so much to run. Hope his knee recovers without surgery.