PDA

View Full Version : Both 4A Div 1 Semi Finals are in North Texas

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Birdville ISD and Frisco - 30 minutes from each other.... or 9 hours (587 Miles) from the southern end of Region IV

slingshot
12-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Birdville ISD and Frisco - 30 minutes from each other.... or 9 hours (587 Miles) from the southern end of Region IVWe can top that! 617 miles from the western edge of Region I.

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 12:51 PM
We can top that! 617 miles from the western edge of Region I.

Damn it. 30 freaking miles.......

lostaussie
12-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Our game should have been there too.

speedbump
12-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Birdville ISD and Frisco - 30 minutes from each other.... or 9 hours (587 Miles) from the southern end of Region IV

Regions 3&4 playing each other north of Dallas. Kinda shows how ridiculous the UIL has become. Susan Elza needs to take a look at a map that covers all of Texas some day. Maybe she is just to busy making sure the SC sites can be rotated. LOL

waterboy
12-08-2016, 03:30 PM
The only game sites the UIL determines are the state championship games. The schools get to agree on the neutral site games. Blame it on your coach if you don't like where the game is being played, or the coin that was used... :D

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Regions 3&4 playing each other north of Dallas. Kinda shows how ridiculous the UIL has become. Susan Elza needs to take a look at a map that covers all of Texas some day. Maybe she is just to busy making sure the SC sites can be rotated. LOL

CS and Carthage were going to flip for "home field". CS -Corsicana vs Carthage - Tyler. With the CS coach wanting to wait until Sunday I think both coaches came to the mutual agreement about Frisco after seeing what the weather had in store for this weekend.

Really. It's your coaches fault!

I think you're complaint is more that Waco area schools are in Region IV ???? In the last 8 years CS has been in Region I, III and IV. There are schools 30 minutes away that are in Region II. I think Liberty Hill has the same experience over time.

speedbump
12-08-2016, 05:49 PM
The only game sites the UIL determines are the state championship games. The schools get to agree on the neutral site games. Blame it on your coach if you don't like where the game is being played, or the coin that was used... :D

Regional champs from 3 & 4 being so far north that a site north of Dallas is chosen by anybody,is on the UIL not the coaches or anybody else.

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Regional champs from 3 & 4 being so far north that a site north of Dallas is chosen by anybody,is on the UIL not the coaches or anybody else.

No. Coaches agreed to play there.

speedbump
12-08-2016, 07:05 PM
No. Coaches agreed to play there.

You are missing my point.

bansheefan03
12-09-2016, 07:09 AM
That's because both teams that won there region happen to be at the northern edge of there region that get swapped between region alot during realignment because of that too

Saggy Aggie
12-09-2016, 10:57 AM

lol, yeah he is.... :doh::doh::doh:

Matthew328
12-09-2016, 11:07 AM

The issue is 4A Division I doesn't have a lot of schools that far south...just a weird geography quirk...Navasota has to play in a Southeast TX district just due to lack of Div I schools in that area....

whats your suggestion on fixing it?? Who should be in Reg III or Reg IV thats not already there?

wyliefan
12-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Somethings that the UIL does, does not make sense, Argyle, Sanger and Gainsville being just off of I-35 being in Region 1 and then Mineral Wells and Springtown 60 + plus west of 35 being in Region 2. I would prefer we go back to the old rules and split the divisions based on the 4 teams from each district. Overall less travel for district games for most everyone.

waterboy
12-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Making sense. and. The UIL. In one sentence does not make sense. That's why I broke up those in the previous sentences. :D

There's always going to be some things that don't sense. Unfortunately, there's always going to be a lack of parity because of location of schools in such a large state.

speedbump
12-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Somethings that the UIL does, does not make sense, Argyle, Sanger and Gainsville being just off of I-35 being in Region 1 and then Mineral Wells and Springtown 60 + plus west of 35 being in Region 2. I would prefer we go back to the old rules and split the divisions based on the 4 teams from each district. Overall less travel for district games for most everyone.

Yep, a simple solution for the problem they created in the first place.

speedbump
12-09-2016, 02:44 PM
The issue is 4A Division I doesn't have a lot of schools that far south...just a weird geography quirk...Navasota has to play in a Southeast TX district just due to lack of Div I schools in that area....

whats your suggestion on fixing it?? Who should be in Reg III or Reg IV thats not already there?

There are 22 teams in R4 and 27 in R3.; Seven team District 12 is clearly a better choice than the 6 team south Dallas district they have stuck in there now. Do that and a little moving around of teams on the edge (District 14) and it starts to make sense and becomes more balanced. I know you are a big UIL defense champion but please, don't tell me there aren't enough schools south of Waco to have come up with something better than what they have now.

Matthew328
12-09-2016, 02:53 PM
There are 22 teams in R4 and 27 in R3.; Seven team District 12 is clearly a better choice than the 6 team south Dallas district they have stuck in there now. Do that and a little moving around of teams on the edge (District 14) and it starts to make sense and becomes more balanced. I know you are a big UIL defense champion but please, don't tell me there aren't enough schools south of Waco to have come up with something better than what they have now.

I guess you could move District 12 to Reg IV and 13 to Region III but does that make sense from a bi-district playoff standpoint???? 13 and 14 are relatively close to each other and 11 and 12 are close....I think you'd have to move 11 and 12 to Reg IV and 13 and 14 to Reg III to make it work...

I'd be interested to see if you have an entire 4A Div. I realignment put together....I'm not always a defender of the UIL I just dont like to hear people complain who dont offer solutions to problems..I've done mock realignments and they aren't easy because the entire state has to be a consideration not just one area..maybe there is a better way I'd love to see it if you have it...My solution is expand the 4A window on the top end to make Div. I larger......but thats another topic

I only counted 40 total schools south of Waco (7 East Texas schools in District 9; then China Spring and LaVega not inlcuded in the current 49; included Gatesville since they are about 30 miles SW of Waco) Waco has to be included in Region III/IV for sure in the current set up

Weebe
12-09-2016, 02:53 PM
My guess is that politics are involved in determining who gets to go Region IV.

The Waco area teams obviously have won the lobby the last two realignment cycles despite it making no geographic sense for them to be in the same region with the South Texas schools.

Was there ever a doubt which district the Region IV champ would come out of?

44INAROW
12-09-2016, 03:00 PM

I get it :)

Matthew328
12-09-2016, 03:07 PM

The Waco area teams obviously have won the lobby the last two realignment cycles despite it making no geographic sense for them to be in the same region with the South Texas schools.

never...thought Somerset had an outside shot and they were competitive with LaVega but 13 is the power district for sure

WOS87
12-09-2016, 03:25 PM
We're all spoiled. There were years and years in the past where Temple, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi schools were all in a single district. Houston, Galveston, Conroe, Beaumont, Baytown, Port Arthur and Orange were too for decades. And this was before there was an interstate system so travel took forever or they did it by train if they could afford it.

waterboy
12-09-2016, 03:33 PM
We're all spoiled. There were years and years in the past where Temple, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi schools were all in a single district. Houston, Galveston, Conroe, Beaumont, Baytown, Port Arthur and Orange were too for decades. And this was before there was an interstate system so travel took forever or they did it by train if they could afford it.

Just how old ARE you, WOS87? :D

Rabid Cougar
12-09-2016, 03:34 PM

No there wasn't any doubt.

I can assure you that our school district had nothing to do with being placed in Region IV. District 13 would be an outlier in ANY Region that its placed in.

Rabid Cougar
12-09-2016, 03:44 PM

No, I got you point. Like we had anything to do with being placed in Region IV.

Which Region do you think District 13 should be in?

BwdLion73
12-09-2016, 04:06 PM

:eek::spitlol:

speedbump
12-09-2016, 04:17 PM
I guess you could move District 12 to Reg IV and 13 to Region III but does that make sense from a bi-district playoff standpoint???? 13 and 14 are relatively close to each other and 11 and 12 are close....I think you'd have to move 11 and 12 to Reg IV and 13 and 14 to Reg III to make it work...

I'd be interested to see if you have an entire 4A Div. I realignment put together....I'm not always a defender of the UIL I just dont like to hear people complain who dont offer solutions to problems..I've done mock realignments and they aren't easy because the entire state has to be a consideration not just one area..maybe there is a better way I'd love to see it if you have it...My solution is expand the 4A window on the top end to make Div. I larger......but thats another topic

I only counted 40 total schools south of Waco (7 East Texas schools in District 9; then China Spring and LaVega not inlcuded in the current 49; included Gatesville since they are about 30 miles SW of Waco) Waco has to be included in Region III/IV for sure in the current set up

It's the UILs job to come up with a better solution, not mine. It's my job to complain when I see the UIL botching things up. If I took the time to do a mock realignment I'm pretty sure it would wind up with some of those District 13 teams in the same region as other Dallas area schools. But like the other guy said. Go back to the way it was.

Yea expand 4A at the top. Then the ones at the bottom would cry like they did before. Aren't you the one who said it was easier for a school with 900 kids to compete with a school of 1800 than a school of 450 to compete with one of 900?

44INAROW
12-09-2016, 04:27 PM

:eek::spitlol:

Hey BwdLion - you think he's referring to the dark ages when we were in school? :wave:

speedbump
12-09-2016, 04:28 PM

And it was really tough if a wheel fell off the wagon on the way home. A Ricebird team once had to leave Bay City in a hurry after trouncing the Black Cats,but a storm had caused the Colorado to rise too high making crossing impossible and the Birds spent the next nine days hiding out,while the entire town of Bay City searched for them. ( Not a rescue effort) Thats almost a true story.

WOS87
12-09-2016, 04:52 PM
LOL.... laugh all you want but wasn't THAT long ago. Some of the old timers are still around that remember and I am not one of them. Check out the District Alignment for Class AAAA in 1951. District 5 included Denison, Highland Park, Sherman, Texarkana, Tyler, Waco and Wichita Falls! District 6 stretched from Austin to Harlingen and Laredo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2vg6rvTimfoSlF0M2hPS3VtT28

BwdLion73
12-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Hey BwdLion - you think he's referring to the dark ages when we were in school? :wave:

Yeah I laughed when I read his post ... then I waited for Bobcat to ask me if I went to Brownwood's State games by wagon! :p

Matthew328
12-10-2016, 01:36 AM
It's the UILs job to come up with a better solution, not mine. It's my job to complain when I see the UIL botching things up. If I took the time to do a mock realignment I'm pretty sure it would wind up with some of those District 13 teams in the same region as other Dallas area schools. But like the other guy said. Go back to the way it was.

Yea expand 4A at the top. Then the ones at the bottom would cry like they did before. Aren't you the one who said it was easier for a school with 900 kids to compete with a school of 1800 than a school of 450 to compete with one of 900?

So you have identified what you view as a problem but you don't bring potential solutions to the table because "its not your job" Got it....I just wanted to see if you had a statewide alignment I hadn't thought of that would work better.....if you decide to do a statewide alignment I'd love to see it

You can manipulate an alignment any number of ways and there's more than one that could potentially make sense....the current alignment makes sense in my view except for the four team district in 1-4A Division I....thats my biggest issue...

I do believe it is easier for a 900 to compete with an 1800 than a 450 vs. a 900....luckily with split divisions we dont have to worry about that...what I can say is Class 5A is the largest classification we have in regards to overall number of schools and by raising that minimum number of schools we can potentially add Class 4A schools to have more viable districts on a statewide level.

speedbump
12-10-2016, 12:41 PM
So you have identified what you view as a problem but you don't bring potential solutions to the table because "its not your job" Got it....I just wanted to see if you had a statewide alignment I hadn't thought of that would work better.....if you decide to do a statewide alignment I'd love to see it

You can manipulate an alignment any number of ways and there's more than one that could potentially make sense....the current alignment makes sense in my view except for the four team district in 1-4A Division I....thats my biggest issue...

I do believe it is easier for a 900 to compete with an 1800 than a 450 vs. a 900....luckily with split divisions we dont have to worry about that...what I can say is Class 5A is the largest classification we have in regards to overall number of schools and by raising that minimum number of schools we can potentially add Class 4A schools to have more viable districts on a statewide level.

If I see car going down the road and a couple of the doors fall off,I don't need to be auto body repairman to know it's junk and needs to be fixed. Like you said "You can manipulate an alignment any number of ways and there's more than one that could potentially make sense.." It's time for the UIL to use one of those. No matter how you spin it, a region four team that thinks a stadium north of Dallas is a good neutral site just makes it obvious that the UIL blew it.

Refugio (2Apower) almost beat a 4A team that had around three times the enrollment and may well play for the SC. In both 2014 and 2015 WOS (4A power ) lost to Richmond Foster , also three times the enrollment. The second time they got pounded big time. I guess they didn't know it's easier for them.

Matthew328
12-10-2016, 02:06 PM
If I see car going down the road and a couple of the doors fall off,I don't need to be auto body repairman to know it's junk and needs to be fixed. Like you said "You can manipulate an alignment any number of ways and there's more than one that could potentially make sense.." It's time for the UIL to use one of those. No matter how you spin it, a region four team that thinks a stadium north of Dallas is a good neutral site just makes it obvious that the UIL blew it.

Refugio (2Apower) almost beat a 4A team that had around three times the enrollment and may well play for the SC. In both 2014 and 2015 WOS (4A power ) lost to Richmond Foster , also three times the enrollment. The second time they got pounded big time. I guess they didn't know it's easier for them.

In my personal experience in the workplace, people who complain about problems but dont offer up real solutions to those problems are just well...complainers...so from that standpoint people who just complain about a perceived issue/slight but dont offer up real solutions gets under my skin...but that's just me...

When it comes to enrollment size I am speaking in generalities and not absolutes...one off examples can picked to validate any argument when convenient.

As for the location of the game, having spoken to both coaches the location was chosen mainly due to concerns early in the week about the weather...both wanted to take elements out of play so they elected Frisco...the original plan was a home/neutral flip of Tyler/Corsicana....

Maybe next alignment we'll have more schools in the southern half of the state in 4A Div. I to offset the heavy northern imbalance we presently have....

speedbump
12-10-2016, 02:47 PM
In my personal experience in the workplace, people who complain about problems but dont offer up real solutions to those problems are just well...complainers...so from that standpoint people who just complain about a perceived issue/slight but dont offer up real solutions gets under my skin...but that's just me...

When it comes to enrollment size I am speaking in generalities and not absolutes...one off examples can picked to validate any argument when convenient.

As for the location of the game, having spoken to both coaches the location was chosen mainly due to concerns early in the week about the weather...both wanted to take elements out of play so they elected Frisco...the original plan was a home/neutral flip of Tyler/Corsicana....

Maybe next alignment we'll have more schools in the southern half of the state in 4A Div. I to offset the heavy northern imbalance we presently have....

LOL - Tyler/Corsicana Big difference.