PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater vs Gilmer 4a DII State Semi-Finals Fri Dec. 9th McLane Stadium, Waco

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 10:25 AM
First meeting ever. Very excited to get to play the Mustangs!!!

buckeyebob
12-03-2016, 11:01 AM
West Texas Running & a Cloud of Dust vs East Texas Speed...Celina had trouble...about as far west as wanna go

FB-fanatic
12-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Sweet beaver, I think I'll be there!

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 12:05 PM

Heck you can probably ride your bicycle. :D

slingshot
12-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Rooting for the Mustangs but suspect the Buckeyes win this one comfortably...

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 02:07 PM
This game evidently has a 7:00 kickoff and Gilmer will be the home team wearing black.

cbaker06021984
12-03-2016, 08:15 PM
I don't see Gilmer losing this one and I can see a Gilmer-WOS rematch in the state championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabid Cougar
12-03-2016, 08:31 PM

I think I shall partake too unless otherwise occupied.

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 09:35 PM
I think I shall partake too unless otherwise occupied.

I can't see y'all playing on Saturday with the big game the next Friday???

GetRDoneStangs
12-03-2016, 09:52 PM
First meeting ever. Very excited to get to play the Mustangs!!!

I am excited as well. Getting to line up against a great team and fan base like Gilmer...for the 1st time is going to be exciting!

I have covered the Mustangs on the sidelines for sometime now and playing into December is always fun. This group of young men have been a treat to hang with on the sidelines.
They play smart and are very coach-able...they have accepted the challenges of the past few weeks and it seems each week they play up to what each team has brought to the table.
We are a balanced team offensively 245 yds passing and 236 rushing.
We have faced spread teams and several that run the old style wing T and wish bone. Gilmer looks like it has lot's of power in their QB and receivers and will provide a challenge to any and every one they face.

That being said...I look forward to Friday night and some semi-final football!!

Maybe at half time we could have an old fashion "meet and greet?" That used to be a popular thing a few years ago here on the Downlow! If you guys are interested maybe we can meet at half time? Let's see what happens!

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 09:57 PM
We have had a couple of great m&g at George's. I plan on being there around 4 for a little relaxation before the game.

bobcat1
12-03-2016, 10:03 PM
We have had a couple of great m&g at George's. I plan on being there around 4 for a little relaxation before the game.Get ya a Big O!

Bosqueville
12-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Get ya a Big O!

And Crazy Wings!

poisoned10
12-03-2016, 10:48 PM
I love playing this deep into the season because it allows me to get to see teams I haven't seen before. I've been on this board for several years now and have read/heard so much about Sweetwater.

I know absolutely nothing about the Mustangs other than what has been said in this thread about them being balanced.

I'm excited for this game!

sweetwater07
12-04-2016, 12:24 AM
Looking forward to this one. Go Mustangs!

pirate4state
12-04-2016, 12:51 AM
We have had a couple of great m&g at George's. I plan on being there around 4 for a little relaxation before the game.

:thumbsup:

I hope to be in Waco before 5p. Sooner if nothing major is going on at work. :nerd:

Very excited for this match-up.

Rocket Man
12-04-2016, 12:54 AM

I may just join ya; you wear Blue & I'll wear Red......ummmm, maybe not.

poisoned10
12-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Last comment was 18 hours ago?

Sweetwater fans, care to inform us Gilmer folk about your team?

lostaussie
12-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Last comment was 18 hours ago?

Sweetwater fans, care to inform us Gilmer folk about your team?

I have been told on my Facebook that they wear red and white!!!! Lol

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Sweettater vs Sweetwater. I gotta go with Tater Town aka Title Town. Hope Matt and the boys can finish this and bring home the fourth one in about 11 days. Probably gonna have to beat the Mustangs two weeks in a row to git'er done.

Matthew328
12-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Sweetwater is faster and more athletic than the typical West Texas team...they won't be as fast as Gilmer but they have a few kids who can go....they'll spread it out but as was said earlier they are more balanced when it comes to run vs. pass...a good team, but I think Gilmer is too much for them

poisoned10
12-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Sweetwater is faster and more athletic than the typical West Texas team...they won't be as fast as Gilmer but they have a few kids who can go....they'll spread it out but as was said earlier they are more balanced when it comes to run vs. pass...a good team, but I think Gilmer is too much for them

Like Graham in 2012?

GetRDoneStangs
12-04-2016, 11:05 PM

I agree with Matt on the Mustangs speed and being athletic. They like to spread and go fast...but have shown the ability to run it and take time off the clock. The secondary has played very good in the playoffs, but from what I have read will face the best receivers and QB by far this year. That is what you would expect this time of year right?

They have couple that play both ways and overall the team is in good shape injury wise. 1 offensive line starter has been out for most of the playoffs...freak knee injury in practice...but was serious.
Another is coming back strong after being hurt vs. Monahans in district play. Big strong runner, but still getting speed back.
QB is having great year. He is a Junior who earned the starting role last year...but broke his ankle and missed the playoffs. he is quick and has good arm as well.

This team is pretty well where everyone thought they would be by winning the region. The loss to Monahans (19-16) at home was a big wake up for them. They had to follow with the "meat" of the district after the loss and responded. 3 of the final 4 teams in the region were all from the the the same district so as far as region 1..they have earned the right to be in the semi-finals.

This team has has different players step up and play lights out each week. It is a team that plays great together and plays smart.

The starters have not played very many full games including the playoffs with the backups playing a good deal in the second half. That will probably not be the case against Gilmer but has allowed some of the younger kids to get some valuable time in against other first teamers.

I could list some players names/numbers to watch for if you want.

I hope this helps in letting folks know a little about the Sweetwater Mustangs.

I also hope some of the other Sweetwater members think about coming on here and providing some input!

Go Red!!!

briandumith*
12-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Why would someone compare Sweetwater to a Graham team from 4 years ago? Gilmer is also not like the Gilmer team from 4 years ago.. Folks are underestimating this "West Texas" team. I am sure that is exactly what they want.

sweetwater07
12-05-2016, 12:10 AM
West Texas is always underrated.

sweetwater07
12-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Somebody from Gilmer give us the low down on yalls team?

poisoned10
12-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Why would someone compare Sweetwater to a Graham team from 4 years ago? Gilmer is also not like the Gilmer team from 4 years ago.. Folks are underestimating this "West Texas" team. I am sure that is exactly what they want.

As you could imagine I don't make it out to many (read zero) games in West Texas.

If I recall correctly, some similar things were being said about Graham that year which happens to be the last time Gilmer has played a West Texas team. I wasn't meaning that in a way to say Gilmer should win like we did that game 4 years ago.

That Gilmer team from 2012 was loaded with sophomores that would eventually become, in my opinion, the best team Gilmer has had.

poisoned10
12-05-2016, 06:51 AM

I'm sure someone will beat me to it but when I get home from work I'll give you some info and stats.

d0tc0m
12-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Well, I'm from Celina, but I did watch the game last Friday, and I've seen tons of film on Gilmer.

The biggest thing for them - and this is somewhat a no-brainer - is the sheer amount of kids with above-average speed. If Sweetwater has anyone close to WR Morton's (13) speed, I'll be very impressed. Celina did a fairly good job of covering him, but he seemed to always have a step, and that's all he needs. Even if you have decent coverage on him, once he gets the ball in his hands, he hits another gear, and he's hard to bring down (nearly impossible) in the open field. He took some short pass plays against the Bobcats and turned them into HUGE gains simply because he was so much faster than anyone on the field. He's a legit low 4.4 guy, and the rest of that receiving crew isn't far behind, which means you absolutely cannot double team Morton, because some other receiver will be streaking down the field with no one around him.

The other thing that really impressed me was the QB play of Poppy Brown. He was a little juiced at the start of the Celina game - it was very evident - and he had some smoke on his throws. He was putting the ball into tight places, but he was just missing his receivers a bit. Once he settled down though, that kid hit some really, really impressive throws. Like I said earlier, the Celina DBs did a fairly decent job of covering Gilmer's speed, and made Poppy have to make difficult throws down field a lot of times. But that didn't matter, because the kid was dropping the ball on a dime late in the game. He was putting just enough air under his throws to give his speedy receivers time to get under it, and the ball was almost always where only they could catch it. I was really impressed with this young man. He doesn't run it a ton, and he doesn't have breakaway speed, but when he does take off, he's fairly elusive. He's very poised in the pocket, too. Celina got pressure on him quite a bit and it didn't seem to faze him at all.

Obviously, Gilmer is going to throw the ball all over the yard. But they really wouldn't have to if they decided they wanted to do something different, because their RB Kelton Collier (10) is really good. He has good speed, tremendous size, and really good vision. Not to mention, the o-line - a bit undersized - does a great job up front for him, and the receivers block extremely well down field. He's not as fast as Morton, but if he gets a few yards of green grass in front of him, good luck. He has a very strong core and very strong legs, and you better make sure you wrap him up on first contact, otherwise, he's just going to bounce tacklers off of himself like they're barely there.

Celina held Gilmer scoreless for a quarter and opened up the second with a 7-0 lead. Then Gilmer scored 29 unanswered points in the blink of an eye, almost all of which came on big plays and not sustained drives.

All year, people have made a fuss about Gilmer's defense giving up big numbers, and that was probably a fair criticism. But I'll say this, you can probably move the ball fairly easily against the Buckeyes between the 20s. But once you get into the red zone, the Buckeyes' Black Flag unit just finds a way to either hold you on the next four downs or get a big turnover. All they really need is one big play on first or second down, and then they can get you in obvious passing situations, and with their athleticism, that's a bad place for any team shy of WOS to be in. I imagine Sweetwater will come out feeling confident early because of how well they can move the ball against Gilmer, but I'm telling you, you better find ways to keep those drives alive and punch them into the end zone, because if you don't, the Buckeyes just get better and better as the game goes on. You can ill afford penalties of any variety, fumbled snaps, mishandled gives/reads or dropped passes. Once you move backwards in a drive against them, it becomes next to impossible to convert.

In saying all that, Gilmer is far from unbeatable. There are some things you can expose. But you're going to need a ton of speed, athleticism, discipline and a little luck to do it. Sweetwater will have to play its best game of the year, and, honestly, hope Gilmer comes out a little flat. Having seen Sweetwater a couple years ago against Celina, I'll say the Mustangs have the speed and athleticism to make this a game for a while. But you'll need to play flawlessly for 48 minutes to beat the Buckeyes.

lostaussie
12-05-2016, 11:29 AM
That's fair enough from basically what I would call a neutral observation.

waterboy
12-05-2016, 12:51 PM
I talked about this earlier this season. The "potential" of this year's team is championship type of talent. Whether they reach that potential is up to them. So far in the playoffs they have started reaching that potential, although not all the way there yet.

Obviously, Sweetwater has a very good team. They wouldn't have made it this far if they didn't have a very good team. The thing is, it is hard to compare different regions when there's not anything to compare them to. Having no common opponents just makes it that much more intriguing. Who knows, this year could be the year of West Texas having more equality than usual. That's why I don't just say, yeah, we should win. I do "think" we will, but I have no idea for sure because of the unknowns, and I'm definitely a homer. :D

I do think Gilmer will win if they continue to play like they have the past 3 to 4 weeks. They have continually gotten better in all aspects of the game, i.e. fewer penalties, fewer turnovers, better defense, better special teams play, etc. Those things alone, and from having seen a few championship teams from the past, tells me we are peaking at the right time. As long as we don't take anything for granted, and continue to improve, I think we have as good a shot to win it all as anybody, including WO-S (likely) or Navarro. You never know until you actually play each other.

buckeyebob
12-05-2016, 02:05 PM

We don't underestimate anyone...one game at a time

Aesculus gilmus
12-05-2016, 03:46 PM
USA Today Score Predictor: Gilmer 35, Sweetwater 34
Adjusted Stats Matchup Analyzer: Gilmer 42, Sweetwater 36

So, yeah, it appears prognosticators believe Sweetwater is better than Celina this season.

lostaussie
12-05-2016, 03:57 PM
My ticker can't take them kind:D

Aesculus gilmus
12-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Hell, I've already had a heart attack and it wasn't even during football season. Fortunately, the playoffs so far have been cardiac-friendly.

sweetwater07
12-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Great analysis from the Celina fan. Our secondary has played exceptionally well during the playoffs, im hoping they keep that streak going. Is it Friday yet? Looking forward to it.

GetRDoneStangs
12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Yes, thanks for the great analysis on Gilmer. As 07 said our secondary has played very well and will have to step it up even more.

You know we can bring our secret weapons...ya know Navasota is the Rattlers right? And you know Sweetwater is home to the World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup?

We had 24,000 lbs. at this years roundup..and believe me they didn't get them all (ask my border collie..she will vouch for that..and my vet)....just saying that could be common grounds? I am just guessing maybe Gilmer has played with (against) the Rattlers at some time...and maybe we can bring some along for fun???

They don't move too well when it's cold! So what do you guy's think??

Ok....just having some fun! We can't bring rattlesnakes to the game...they are dened up for the winter!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

pirate4state
12-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Yes, thanks for the great analysis on Gilmer. As 07 said our secondary has played very well and will have to step it up even more.

You know we can bring our secret weapons...ya know Navasota is the Rattlers right? And you know Sweetwater is home to the World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup?

We had 24,000 lbs. at this years roundup..and believe me they didn't get them all (ask my border collie..she will vouch for that..and my vet)....just saying that could be common grounds? I am just guessing maybe Gilmer has played with (against) the Rattlers at some time...and maybe we can bring some along for fun???

They don't move too well when it's cold! So what do you guy's think??

Ok....just having some fun! We can't bring rattlesnakes to the game...they are dened up for the winter!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

hahaha!

I watched Sweetwater vs Glen Rose. I watched Gilmer vs Celina. I think there are some things Sweetwater will be able to do against Gilmer, but as someone else stated - they can't get behind the chains.

They might just have enough speed in key positions to keep it interesting and if they can get a break and capitalize on it then they might have a shot!

Should be a fun game! See y'all there!

Rabid Cougar
12-05-2016, 09:38 PM
I thought ya'll didn't like to play in Waco, specially Baylor's football stadium.....:wave:

lostaussie
12-05-2016, 09:40 PM
I thought ya'll didn't like to play in Waco, specially Baylor's football stadium.....:wave:

We don't Brotha, and let me tell you, I'm pissed about it:D

lostaussie
12-05-2016, 09:43 PM
2 showings and lots of eerily similar happenings. 1st it was colder than a well diggers posterior both dang times. And secondly we got the snot slapped out of us both times. Supposed to be cold Friday night........I hope the stars aren't aligning.

Rabid Cougar
12-05-2016, 09:47 PM
We don't Brotha, and let me tell you, I'm pissed about it:D

Bet ya'll had a party when they imploded the Floyd earlier this year.

lostaussie
12-05-2016, 09:49 PM

Freaking time clock didn't even work in our state game. What a junk hole!!!!

GetRDoneStangs
12-05-2016, 10:01 PM
2 showings and lots of eerily similar happenings. 1st it was colder than a well diggers posterior both dang times. And secondly we got the snot slapped out of us both times. Supposed to be cold Friday night........I hope the stars aren't aligning.

We played Perryton or someone from up around Amarillo in Canyon a couple years ago. It was 1st round...not even really winter yet. It was 21 degrees at kickoff...but fortunately no wind. The stadium had problems with clocks etc...game was not close and the other team had agreed to let the clock run (official kept time) in the 2nd half. It was also a Thursday night game....4 hour drive back home and work/school the next day. ehhhh...

Someone said "Those panhandle kids are used to the cold"....bull it was 21...don't care where you play ball that is cold.

lostaussie
12-05-2016, 10:07 PM
http://etsn.fm/gilmers-aaron-poppy-brown-the-etsn-fm-dairy-queen-offensive-player-of-the-week-2/

ccmom
12-05-2016, 11:00 PM
http://etsn.fm/gilmers-aaron-poppy-brown-the-etsn-fm-dairy-queen-offensive-player-of-the-week-2/

"He's alright, I guess". Name that movie and win a prize. Anyone? ;)

movethechain
12-06-2016, 12:34 AM

Both Gilmer and Longview were 2-time State Title "losers" at Floyd Casey (Longview in back-to-back years). Many folks, including me, said we would never agree to play in Waco again. Lots of expletives were murmured and yelled aloud when this weeks game site was posted. Looking to make better memories this time around, as we trek down to Waco.

movethechain
12-06-2016, 12:38 AM

Matthew McConaughey might say it best, Poppy Brown is, "Alright, Alright, Alright!!!".

d0tc0m
12-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Both Gilmer and Longview were 2-time State Title "losers" at Floyd Casey (Longview in back-to-back years). Many folks, including me, said we would never agree to play in Waco again. Lots of expletives were murmured and yelled aloud when this weeks game site was posted. Looking to make better memories this time around, as we trek down to Waco.

Celina lost one there to friggin Liberty Hill in 2006. Still doesn't sit well with me. It was a great tailgate atmosphere, though, both sides.

lostaussie
12-06-2016, 09:34 AM
We played Perryton or someone from up around Amarillo in Canyon a couple years ago. It was 1st round...not even really winter yet. It was 21 degrees at kickoff...but fortunately no wind. The stadium had problems with clocks etc...game was not close and the other team had agreed to let the clock run (official kept time) in the 2nd half. It was also a Thursday night game....4 hour drive back home and work/school the next day. ehhhh...

Someone said "Those panhandle kids are used to the cold"....bull it was 21...don't care where you play ball that is cold.

Didn't mean to imply we got beat because of the cold. What I was saying is my arse was cold. Had nothing to do with us getting blown out both games.

Aesculus gilmus
12-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Off topic, this is the burning question of the moment. Is Tom Herman going to allow Matthew McConaughey to continue to be the face of the Texas football program? I still struggle to recall when he played for them.

Maybe it'd change their luck to tell Matthew to go back to Hollyweird.

poisoned10
12-06-2016, 12:51 PM

Office Space!

What do I win?

ccmom
12-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Office Space!

What do I win? Wrong...thanks for playing! ;)

Actually I've never heard of that movie so maybe that line is in there, too. The movie I was thinking of is from 1980 but is still replayed allll the time. There's a hint :)

lostaussie
12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Wrong...thanks for playing! ;)

Actually I've never heard of that movie so maybe that line is in there, too. The movie I was thinking of is from 1980 but is still replayed allll the time. There's a hint :)

Breakfast Club:D

lostaussie
12-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Breakfast Club:D

Caddyshack

ccmom
12-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Wrong and wrong....but I have seen both a time or 30 LOL

movethechain
12-06-2016, 04:26 PM

U.C.

"I've seen (other Gilmer QBs that from memory seemed) better", but you can't argue with Poppy's numbers. First year as starting QB and he breaks the all-time school passing record for a season (2 weeks ago). That's some pretty serious bidness right there.

waterboy
12-06-2016, 04:41 PM

"The Big Lebowski"?

ccmom
12-06-2016, 05:04 PM
U.C.

"I've seen (other Gilmer QBs that from memory seemed) better", but you can't argue with Poppy's numbers. First year as starting QB and he breaks the all-time school passing record for a season (2 weeks ago). That's some pretty serious bidness right there.

We have a winner!!!

waterboy
12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
We have a winner!!!

What movie was it?

Good grief! Talking about movie quotes on a FOOTBALL thread! What's this world coming to? It's just too dang quiet.

movethechain
12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
We have a winner!!!

I hereby donate any prize winnings to the snowflakes and buttercups of the world who are in such crisis and need as they struggle to find comfort and safety from the real world.

movethechain
12-06-2016, 05:10 PM
What movie was it?

Good grief! Talking about movie quotes on a FOOTBALL thread! What's this world coming to? It's just too dang quiet.

Urban Cowboy

waterboy
12-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Urban Cowboy

Gotcha! Now I remember...

You won. Knowing ccmom, that might not be a good thing... :D

bobcat1
12-06-2016, 05:42 PM
I hereby donate any prize winnings to the snowflakes and buttercups of the world who are in such crisis and need as they struggle to find comfort and safety from the real world.
:spitlol::thumbsup:

ccmom
12-06-2016, 05:55 PM

:clap: :clap:

GetRDoneStangs
12-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Didn't mean to imply we got beat because of the cold. What I was saying is my arse was cold. Had nothing to do with us getting blown out both games.

Sorry if my response implied that. I was just sharing a colder than haties story. If it's cold or wet...it is them same for both teams! I ran up and down the sidelines so that helped keep me warm and stoped by the heaters they had set up on the sidelines (every once in a while...:blush:) !!

Rabid Cougar
12-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Man, it is going to be freaking cold. Having to think hard about going to this game.

Rocket Man
12-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Man, it is going to be freaking cold. Having to think hard about going to this game.

Weather and ticket price talked me out of it;

I ain't driving to DFW for y'all's game either, but you be sure to drive safe on Saturday and I hope you enjoy the game.

GUNHO
12-08-2016, 10:42 AM
This game still on? sure is quite.This ain't like you Buckeyes.You scarrrrred?lol

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
This game still on? sure is quite.This ain't like you Buckeyes.You scarrrrred?lol

There are having visions of Floyd Casey dance in their heads.

lostaussie
12-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Heck I get more responses on you guys site than this one.

lostaussie
12-08-2016, 12:05 PM
There are having visions of Floyd Casey dance in their heads.

Floyd Casey is nothing to us but a bad memory.

d0tc0m
12-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Floyd Casey is nothing to us but a bad memory.

Who did the Buckeyes lose to at Floyd Casey? Liberty Hill? Who else?

movethechain
12-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Who did the Buckeyes lose to at Floyd Casey? Liberty Hill? Who else?

Cameron Yoe

waterboy
12-08-2016, 12:32 PM
I absolutely HATED Floyd Casey. Not only was that place a dump, it was extremely cold both times we played there. It didn't help that we got beat handily both times. :D

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 12:42 PM
:
Cameron Yoe

:):) Just "Cameron" or "The Yoemen" works. People know who we are! :wave::wave: Just like people know who "Gilmer" and "the Buckeyes" are.

waterboy
12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
For those going to the game, I read the rules for this stadium:

Items you cannot bring into McLane stadium:

•Baby Strollers - no worries
•Backpacks - no worries
•Bag & Purses Larger than 12x6x12 - my wife leaves her purse in the car
•Banners & Signs - Does this mean the Buckeyes can't bring their run through banner?
•Camera Lenses Larger Than 4" - no worries
•Folding Chairs, Cushions & tools - wasn't gonna, but does a pocket knife count as a tool?
•Noisemakers - Really?
•Pets - I guess this means that only the women from Sweetwater can come... :D
•Tobacco - Can't go without my Copenhagen.
•Umbrellas - I'd take my poncho if I were going and expecting rain.
•Video Cameras - Can't tape it?
•Weapons, Firearms, & Fireworks - Firearms I can understand, but Gilmer has so many weapons, and provides so many fireworks...that ain't fair!

I guess I can't go... :D

d0tc0m
12-08-2016, 12:55 PM

•Baby Strollers
•Backpacks
•Bag & Purses Larger than 12x6x12
•Banners & Signs
•Camera Lenses Larger Than 4"
•Folding Chairs, Cushions & tools
•Noisemakers
•Pets
•Tobacco
•Umbrellas
•Video Cameras
•Weapons, Firearms, & Fireworks

Sounds like one of the more lame places you could have a HS football game ...

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2016, 12:57 PM

•Baby Strollers
•Backpacks
•Bag & Purses Larger than 12x6x12
•Banners & Signs
•Camera Lenses Larger Than 4"
•Folding Chairs, Cushions & tools
•Noisemakers
•Pets
•Tobacco
•Umbrellas
•Video Cameras
•Weapons, Firearms, & Fireworks

Yea No Weapons, firearms and fireworks is kind of a show stopper.

waterboy
12-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Sounds like one of the more lame places you could have a HS football game ...

No kidding! I think they should've booked a place in the DFW area. It would've been less travel for both teams, cheaper, and less lame on the rules.

lostaussie
12-08-2016, 01:13 PM

Spit my dang Coke out!!!

movethechain
12-08-2016, 01:20 PM

I'm hoping our team provides all the fireworks and really puts on a show. Go Bux!

bobcat1
12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Gilmer by 30+

slingshot
12-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Gilmer by 30+
Don't think so. Sweetwater is balanced enough to put up 30+ on Gilmer... only problem is that Gilmer will put up 40+ on Sweetwater.

Mr. Football
12-08-2016, 02:31 PM
:iagree:
Don't think so. Sweetwater is balanced enough to put up 30+ on Gilmer... only problem is that Gilmer will put up 40+ on Sweetwater.

waterboy
12-08-2016, 02:35 PM

I'd be surprised if Sweetwater can score 30+ against us. Our defense is nothing at all like it was earlier in the season. I've been wrong before, but...

d0tc0m
12-08-2016, 02:48 PM
I'd be surprised if Sweetwater can score 30+ against us. Our defense is nothing at all like it was earlier in the season. I've been wrong before, but...

I would be too. I was actually really impressed with their defense against the Bobcats.

I haven't seen Sweetwater this year, so I don't know how they compare to many of the other teams on Gilmer's schedule. I have no doubts Sweetwater has some athletes. When Celina played them in the Region I finals in 2014, I was really impressed with the speed and balance they had. Unfortunately for the Mustangs, whatever they have, Gilmer can match it and then some. Sweetwater can hang if they play their A+ game, I think. But Gilmer can still win with a B+ performance.

waterboy
12-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I guess I'm out of the loop this year, but I've got a couple of questions that maybe some of the other Buckeye fans can answer. Where is Ryen Lawhorn? I haven't seen him play much, if any, since the Atlanta game. He's likely the fastest guy on the team. It would be nice to have him playing. What about Nathan Mize? Hasn't he been injured since the Gladewater game? Is he coming back this season, or is he out?

movethechain
12-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Seems like Lawhorn came back for one game after he was out for a couple/three weeks with injury and like you, I've been out of the loop, but haven't seen him back after that one game.

lostaussie
12-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately Ryan has been injured. I have no idea when or if he's coming back. If he does its just another added weapon!!!!

buckeyebob
12-08-2016, 03:43 PM

Buckeyes bend a little...Black Flag D allows average of 27 pts...Offense averages 49...it is like a wild west rodeo & very fast...gas the D, kiss 'em & send 'em to bed

buckeyebob
12-08-2016, 03:45 PM
I would be too. I was actually really impressed with their defense against the Bobcats.

I haven't seen Sweetwater this year, so I don't know how they compare to many of the other teams on Gilmer's schedule. I have no doubts Sweetwater has some athletes. When Celina played them in the Region I finals in 2014, I was really impressed with the speed and balance they had. Unfortunately for the Mustangs, whatever they have, Gilmer can match it and then some. Sweetwater can hang if they play their A+ game, I think. But Gilmer can still win with a B+ performance.

2014...mmm...why does that ring a bell?

buckeyebob
12-08-2016, 03:46 PM
I guess I'm out of the loop this year, but I've got a couple of questions that maybe some of the other Buckeye fans can answer. Where is Ryen Lawhorn? I haven't seen him play much, if any, since the Atlanta game. He's likely the fastest guy on the team. It would be nice to have him playing. What about Nathan Mize? Hasn't he been injured since the Gladewater game? Is he coming back this season, or is he out?

I think both are

waterboy
12-08-2016, 03:48 PM
I think both are

Out for the season? Or both coming back?

bobcat1
12-08-2016, 07:46 PM
2014...mmm...why does that ring a bell?That's the year y'all cheated.

poisoned10
12-08-2016, 07:49 PM
That's the year y'all cheated.

I thought that was every year?

GetRDoneStangs
12-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Hey if any of you guys are on the Gilmer Facebook page I was one of the Sweetwater folks requesting to get on for the week. I am not a troll, I don't talk or try to start crap...just wanted on to have a conversations in addition to the one here. I understand why, because some people may and do join to start crap. I would have identified myself but had no way to do so.

That is all good and well, I withdrew my request. I don't really have much time left this week so it would be for nought anyway. I will be on the sidelines covering for radio and I said before...I have meet many members on this forum in the past and if the chance arises maybe meet during half time. (After bathroom break of course!!)

Good luck to Gilmer players may it be a great game and pray to the Lord to keep all of the players from both teams injury free.

Safe travels to all the fans and let's all enjoy some good football played by the best players in the best state!

buckeyebob
12-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Out for the season? Or both coming back?

Season as I understand

buckeyebob
12-08-2016, 11:56 PM
That's the year y'all cheated.

We definitely did this year...voodoo, smoke mirrors, chop blocking, pile-up rough housing

As a matter of fact....just got word that McLane Carter, southpaw QB, just committed to Tech...graduates fro Tyler Junior College this month with a stellar year as QB...MVP Offensive Player....signing with Tech & will have 3 years eligibility... He will show 'em how to run the spread

buckeyebob
12-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Hey if any of you guys are on the Gilmer Facebook page I was one of the Sweetwater folks requesting to get on for the week. I am not a troll, I don't talk or try to start crap...just wanted on to have a conversations in addition to the one here. I understand why, because some people may and do join to start crap. I would have identified myself but had no way to do so.

That is all good and well, I withdrew my request. I don't really have much time left this week so it would be for nought anyway. I will be on the sidelines covering for radio and I said before...I have meet many members on this forum in the past and if the chance arises maybe meet during half time. (After bathroom break of course!!)

Good luck to Gilmer players may it be a great game and pray to the Lord to keep all of the players from both teams injury free.

Safe travels to all the fans and let's all enjoy some good football played by the best players in the best state!

any body know what he is talking about? Seems I heard of Facebook but have no idea...I like to start crap! Especially with my wife...she told me last week that I needed to say something nice...told he she didn't sweat much for a fat girl...not sure...got red faced...oh well, I'm going fishing

d0tc0m
12-09-2016, 09:43 AM
I thought that was every year?

Probably. But in particular, you guys have been egregious cheaters in 2003, 2014 and then this season. No place for that in UIL athletics, in my opinion.

Aesculus gilmus
12-09-2016, 10:53 AM
I saw your request. That is very much an "unofficial" page and I wouldn't worry about being denied access. You aren't missing much.

This reminds me of what Melvin Belli, famed attorney during the JFK assassination aftermath, once said about a similar rejection.

“Being rejected from the Bar Association is kind of like being kicked out of the Book of the Month Club” he said. http://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Melvin_Belli,_King_of_Torts

lostaussie
12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Probably. But in particular, you guys have been egregious cheaters in 2003, 2014 and then this season. No place for that in UIL athletics, in my opinion.

We should try harder.......not to get caught:D

d0tc0m
12-09-2016, 11:20 AM
We should try harder.......not to get caught:D

Nah. Celina just needs to recruit harder. Thinking we could maybe throw enough money at Traylor to get him an assistant job with the Orange and White. Hell, if nothing else, he'd give us a nice recruiting pipeline into the Piney Woods.

waterboy
12-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Is this game going to be close, or is it going to be won handily? Most of the stat guru sites are saying it will be close. It doesn't matter to me, though, as long as the Buckeyes have at least one more point than Sweetwater. To save the old ticker, it would be nice to have a comfortable win. I just want to see the Buckeyes play LIVE one more time this season, and preferably end it with a win. That would be a nice Christmas present.

Heck, I haven't got to see them play LIVE since the Atlanta game, and seeing them play next week would be AWESOME!

d0tc0m
12-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Is there an online broadcast (not the NFHS stream) for this game?

bobcat1
12-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Is there an online broadcast (not the NFHS stream) for this game?
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/gilmer/portal.htm?eventId=333720&streamType=audio

DaHop72
12-09-2016, 09:22 PM
36-21 Mustangs at half, dang track meet.

FB-fanatic
12-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Sweetwater jumped a route early and went 80yds for td to begin the game and haven't looked back since. Gilmer showing no run game. 36-21 half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

XX Man
12-09-2016, 09:35 PM
WOS 35
Navarro 0

XX Man
12-09-2016, 09:36 PM
WOS interception

TD!

DaHop72
12-09-2016, 09:43 PM
����

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Wow! Didn't see this coming.

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Sweetwater is always one of the faster teams in West Texas, I was interested to see how they'd match up with Gilmer. Sounds like pretty well!

DaHop72
12-09-2016, 09:49 PM

Oops, happened again.:)

Rabid Cougar
12-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Waco and Cold......

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Sweetwater 42 Gilmer 21 3rd quarter

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Sweetwater QB #6 and WR #15 abusing Gilmer Defense

DaHop72
12-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Sweetwater 42
Gilmer 28

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:07 PM
42-28 Sweetwater late in 3rd Quarter

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:21 PM
42-35 Sweetwater 4th

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Sweetwater 48 Gilmer 35 4th quarter

Saggy Aggie
12-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Gonna lose 48-49? Lol

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Gilmer radio guys having a fit LOL

BwdLion73
12-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Gilmer broadcast team claims Sweetwater player threw himself down to get a penalty? :eek:

Cyrion
12-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Gilmer broadcast team claims Sweetwater player threw himself down to get a penalty? :eek:

They are seemingly a bit distraught. Heck, they're already acting like the game is over even though there are 5 mins left on the clock.

Cyrion
12-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Another INT for Sweetwater. 3:09 left.

Mustangs 48

Gilmer 35

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Sweetwater has picked of Gilmer QB 4 times and 1 was a pic 6

Cyrion
12-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Sweetwater breaks off a long run. Lining up in the victory formation.

It's Mustangs v. Mustangs in the 4A-D2 state championship.

Bosqueville
12-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Wow huge win! Congrats Mustangs!

d0tc0m
12-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Congratulations on making it to the big dance, Sweetwater! Unbelievable game! The Mustangs took control after that pick-6, and they never looked back. The score looks close, but from the sound of the broadcast, Sweetwater absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball. This one will surprise just about everyone not from Sweetwater, but maybe it shouldn't. The Mustangs have had tremendous athletes the past several years, and it showed tonight. Good luck next week, Mustangs, should be a great game!

Congrats on another great season, Gilmer! Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

BwdLion73
12-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Congratulations Sweetwater Mustangs :2thumbsup

Razorback88
12-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Sweetwater 48 Gilmer 35
Congratulations to the Sweetwater Mustangs....I really didn't think they had a chance in this one. Great win for West Texas. Good luck next week against WOS from Andrews! Go represent!

Bosqueville
12-09-2016, 11:00 PM
My oh my, the East Texas folks must be thinking the sky is falling as west Texas teams just don't have the speed...

Old Green
12-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Congrats Sweetwater ! Great season Gilmer !

briandumith*
12-09-2016, 11:05 PM
WTG Sweetwater! Both Region 1 teams in 4A with the win tonight. Awesomness! Way to represent.

WOS87
12-09-2016, 11:16 PM
WOS 49
Navarro 7
FINAL

regaleagle
12-09-2016, 11:24 PM
The Mustangs will win next week, LOL.......and the Mustangs will also lose next week.

bobcat1
12-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Congrats Sweetwater ! Great season Gilmer !

Ditto! Heard 15 is a beast!

Saggy Aggie
12-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Wos by 35

slingshot
12-09-2016, 11:58 PM
Don't think so. Sweetwater is balanced enough to put up 30+ on Gilmer... only problem is that Gilmer will put up 40+ on Sweetwater.Guess I had that bassackwards... Congrats to Sweetwater!

sweetwater07
12-10-2016, 01:04 AM
My oh my, the East Texas folks must be thinking the sky is falling as west Texas teams just don't have the speed...

You know it. Hear it every year. West Texas looking good so far this season.

sweetwater07
12-10-2016, 01:15 AM
What a great game. I was a little surprised by the lack of fan base for Gilmer. They didn't travel as well as I would have thought. Sweetwater played a damn nice game and it seemed like after the pick 6 they took control and never looked back. I was really impressed with Gilmer #s 13 and 10. They were some stout kids. Great game Gilmer, congrats on yalls great season

Go Mustangs!

poisoned10
12-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Congrats, Sweetwater on a very well played game. Your kids are very disciplined and very well coached. Also the best tackling team I've seen in a while and swarmed to the ball like a bunch of pissed of hornets. Once they got their hands on the ball carrier that was it, play over.

You guys have a wonderful team. Good luck next week.

On a side note, Gilmer needs to NEVER play in Waco again. Had this game been played anywhere else Gilmer might have won. Once Waco was decided we were destined to lose. Baylor hates us for some reason

ccmom
12-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Huge congrats to the Mustangs!! While my heart wanted them to win, I will readily admit that I doubted their chances against an always tough Gilmer program. Shows how much I know!!

Congrats to Gilmer on another outstanding season!

How freaking cool to get to watch the Mustangs and the Bulldogs back to back next week at AT&T?!?! Two schools with a long history of competing against one another getting to support one another on the ultimate stage...love it!!!

LionFan72
12-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Congrats to the Sweetwater Mustangs on an outstanding victory! I am pretty sure the red and white of West Texas will be the prohibitive underdogs next week, West Texas will show up and support our Div 1 mates. Just because, West Texas Is Football.

oldtownag
12-10-2016, 09:30 AM
On a side note, Gilmer needs to NEVER play in Waco again. Had this game been played anywhere else Gilmer might have won. Once Waco was decided we were destined to lose. Baylor hates us for some reason.

Note: Baylor's not the only one!

Just Kidding. :)

lostaussie
12-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Congratulations to the Mustangs kids, coaches and fans. We had no answer last night. Sometimes you get beat by a better team. That was last night.

pirate4state
12-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Gilmer by 30+ haha wrong. Sweetwater played a great game!

I'd be surprised if Sweetwater can score 30+ against us. Our defense is nothing at all like it was earlier in the season. I've been wrong before, but... :D

Look, I know y'all have all come back in and congratulated Sweetwater, but those quotes are still there and have to be called out :D

I'm a fan of both teams and thoroughly enjoyed this game. Gilmer just didn't have an answer for Thompson and his receivers. Sweetwater's opportunistic defense lived up to the pre-game hype and picked off Brown 4 times, one for 6 and the Mustangs never looked back :clap:

Can't wait to see what they can do next week against WOS. They will be huge underdogs, but that's why you line up and play the game!

GO RED!

waterboy
12-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Like Red's signature says: Sweetwater is good! The Mustangs were definitely the better team last night. Now go get that 'ship!

waterboy
12-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Note: Baylor's not the only one!

Just Kidding. :)

No you're not! We've played two games at your house and lost both.

By the way, I HATE WACO! :foul:

bobcat1
12-10-2016, 05:43 PM
haha wrong. Sweetwater played a great game!

:D

Look, I know y'all have all come back in and congratulated Sweetwater, but those quotes are still there and have to be called out :D

I'm a fan of both teams and thoroughly enjoyed this game. Gilmer just didn't have an answer for Thompson and his receivers. Sweetwater's opportunistic defense lived up to the pre-game hype and picked off Brown 4 times, one for 6 and the Mustangs never looked back :clap:

Can't wait to see what they can do next week against WOS. They will be huge underdogs, but that's why you line up and play the game!

GO RED!

You know you always like to gig me. How's Sinton doing in roundball?:wave:

pirate4state
12-10-2016, 10:06 PM
You know you always like to gig me. How's Sinton doing in roundball?:wave:

Slightly better than Celina! NEXT!

bobcat1
12-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Slightly better than Celina! NEXT!
Talk to the hand!:hand:

movethechain
12-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Just got back from the Carthage vs China Spring game, after getting back really late (early?) from this game. Great game by Sweetwater! Their coaching staff had a game plan that really flustered the Buckeyes. The Mustangs played a near perfect game, while stifling the Bux continually and making this game look very lopsided, which it was. The score does not reflect the booty whoopin we got handed last night in Waco. If the Sweetwater coaches do as good a job scheming for WOS and the players are as mistake-free and athletic as we witnessed, I can see them taking it to WOS and making another statement next week. Good luck Mustangs!

P.S. - If we ever have another Gilmer coach agree to play in Waco, I will be the first in line at the very next School Board Meeting to demand he be fired. Sheesh, talk about bad ju-ju, cursed, hexed, just plain bad vibes. Waco is just a dead zone for Buckeye Football.

Rocket Man
12-11-2016, 02:35 AM
No you're not! We've played two games at your house and lost both.

By the way, I HATE WACO! :foul:

Just remember that should our paths ever cross that we're Robinson, NOT W--- Robinson seeing how you feel about W---

Rabid Cougar
12-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Just remember that should our paths ever cross that we're Robinson, NOT W--- Robinson seeing how you feel about W---

or China Spring....but shsssssh. We are really in W---!

lostaussie
12-11-2016, 11:08 AM
I will say although we hate Wacko.......that stadium is beautiful. I mean they really out did themselves. Hope I never see the inside of it again.

movethechain
12-11-2016, 01:37 PM
I will say although we hate Wacko.......that stadium is beautiful. I mean they really out did themselves. Hope I never see the inside of it again.

I absolutely agree. That is one really nice stadium!

GetRDoneStangs
12-11-2016, 09:57 PM
I absolutely agree. That is one really nice stadium!

Agreed. It was also designed very well...you can get from the field to the press box in a short amount of time and all the stadium workers were friendly and helpful. We have been in stadiums (I bet you have to) where the workers seemed unhappy to be there or you would have thought they owned the place.

Great venue.

Gilmer fans...I think we can relate to stadiums that have not been good for winning and for Sweetwater that would be Brownwood. Nice stadium and folks that run the playoff games but not wortha dang for winning games for the Mustangs.

lostaussie
12-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Agreed. It was also designed very well...you can get from the field to the press box in a short amount of time and all the stadium workers were friendly and helpful. We have been in stadiums (I bet you have to) where the workers seemed unhappy to be there or you would have thought they owned the place.

Great venue.

Gilmer fans...I think we can relate to stadiums that have not been good for winning and for Sweetwater that would be Brownwood. Nice stadium and folks that run the playoff games but not wortha dang for winning games for the Mustangs.

For us it's not the stadium.......it's the whole dang town:D

buckeyebob
12-16-2016, 09:33 AM
The Baptist ruined it long ago