PDA

View Full Version : Sealy Tiger Football Coach

OLE'BULL
11-30-2016, 07:58 AM
"Resigns". Sorry to distract y'all from playoff talk but CoachJason Holcomb turned in his resignation Monday. He cited personal reasons as his parents and inlaws are in the north Texas area and they are wanting to get closer to them. I am sure that is true but imagine he wouldn't been invited back. I have heard some disturbing news about who is interested in replacing him but haven't had it confirmed so as of now it's nothing more than hearsay so I won't spill the beans yet. Any Tiger fans have any scoop? In other Sealy sports news, it's been confirmed that longtime Bellville baseball coach (not currently though) David Cerny will be joining the Sealy baseball staff as an assistant coach. I am still not clear if he is volunteering, a paid assistant only position if there is such a thing, or a teacher/coach situation. His son is a great athlete so I am happy he will be able to coach him up. He is one of the best in the business and I still hate how it ended here in Bellville. Good luck to him but not such much luck will be wished to the Tigers in their football coaching search, haha!

MJMbrahmas10
11-30-2016, 08:38 AM
As a brahma, I would have loved to see coach Holcomb stay.

speedbump
11-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Jerry Long ?

XMan
11-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Lets hope whoever they get runs the slot T!

sk1
11-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Jerry Long ?

I did hear that Jerry Long and his family were not happy in Corpus and wanted to move back closer to East Bernard.

speedbump
11-30-2016, 12:13 PM
I did hear that Jerry Long and his family were not happy in Corpus and wanted to move back closer to East Bernard.

He left CC Carroll about two weeks ago. Hmmmm.

XMan
11-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Have a feeling that Coach Long found out real fast that things roll differently in EB than they do in CC. When you are not in control of everything that happens in the school it makes you want to move back north in a hurry. He would do great in Sealy, I hope he gets it! Ole Bull, I hope you werent insinuating that the head honcho north of the mill creek was interested.

sk1
11-30-2016, 12:47 PM
He left CC Carroll about two weeks ago. Hmmmm.

Also heard Long just could not get along and bond with the players and his son was very unhappy in CC

Scoop27
11-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Yep-Long would be a solid choice-I've known Jerry for almost 15 years an would do well in small community like Sealy

Rabid Cougar
11-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Art Briles is still available.

OLE'BULL
11-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Haha you and me both!

OLE'BULL
11-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Have a feeling that Coach Long found out real fast that things roll differently in EB than they do in CC. When you are not in control of everything that happens in the school it makes you want to move back north in a hurry. He would do great in Sealy, I hope he gets it! Ole Bull, I hope you werent insinuating that the head honcho north of the mill creek was interested.

No way Rowe better be staying put! He has too much talent coming up in a couple years!

zebrablue2
11-30-2016, 09:40 PM

I have known coach Holcomb for many years, and he is a VERY GOOD COACH. Not all good things come only out of winning, teaching life lessons goes a long way also. Sealy is down, and has been for 15 plus years, just down. One day a class, may be 2-10 or 15 years from now will come along and have a good run.I wish Jason and his family all the best, darn good folks:2thumbsup:

zebrablue2
11-30-2016, 09:49 PM
And Cerny coming out on the field = good times indeed. We here in Bellville know how good he is:stirpot: I played against David in school, and he is a winner to the max. They won district my Sr. year, but we did split 2-2 with them in district. Back in 77 only one team went to the playoffs instead of four, I know we would have taken them in the regionals if it was like today:)

MJMbrahmas10
12-01-2016, 12:06 AM
Zebrablue, you're right I have heard great thing about Holcomb. Just didn't seem to work out for him in sealy. And I'm fine with that.

duckhunter
12-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Lets hope whoever they get runs the slot T!

actually I heard the wing T may be returning to Austin County....

wedo
12-01-2016, 04:24 PM
huh, I heard the same thing... crazy

XMan
12-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Would that be the Odessa Permian version of the wing t? As in, saddle up cowboy, let's ride.

OLE'BULL
12-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Yep, heard the same thing about the Wing T coming back to the county. Not happy about it if it's true. Hopefully it's just a rumor, but it appears to be more than just a rumor if y'all are all on the same page as me.

Weebe
12-01-2016, 10:58 PM
That would be the best hire Sealy could make.

XMan
12-01-2016, 11:06 PM
It would be cool if ol Raymond came back to the county.

OLE'BULL
12-02-2016, 06:56 AM
Ya I would love to have him back this way and I still get to catch up with him quite a bit. Just don't think I could stomach seeing him in those colors of that team on the wrong side of the Mill Creek!

STiger82
12-02-2016, 11:32 PM
I have known coach Holcomb for many years, and he is a VERY GOOD COACH. Not all good things come only out of winning, teaching life lessons goes a long way also. Sealy is down, and has been for 15 plus years, just down. One day a class, may be 2-10 or 15 years from now will come along and have a good run.I wish Jason and his family all the best, darn good folks:2thumbsup:

Absolutely!!!! Cerny will be calling pitches for his son this year! David by far one of the BEST coaches ever! His brothers Melvin and Steven as well!

XMan
12-03-2016, 05:41 AM
Any chance Stephen Cerny is ready to come back home after many years in China? Then, I could see David being the baseball coach more than if someone with the Permian System takes over. David would be teaching those boys about how to get hit by pitches and bunting all up and down the lineup.

OLE'BULL
12-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Absolutely!!!! Cerny will be calling pitches for his son this year! David by far one of the BEST coaches ever! His brothers Melvin and Steven as well!

I couldn't agree with you more, he truly is something special. The Tigers are lucky to have him, treat him right! Please tell me you are saying Melvin and Steven are the best too and not they they are going to be helping with Sealy baseball too?!?!

STiger82
12-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I couldn't agree with you more, he truly is something special. The Tigers are lucky to have him, treat him right! Please tell me you are saying Melvin and Steven are the best too and not they they are going to be helping with Sealy baseball too?!?!

Melvin is retired from Katy Taylor, new baseball stadium named after him!!!!!

Steven is still at Shiner with State Championships in football, baseball and softball as head coach!!!

zebrablue2
12-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Melvin is retired from Katy Taylor, new baseball stadium named after him!!!!!

Steven is still at Shiner with State Championships in football, baseball and softball as head coach!!!

I always said the Cerny brothers could coach and win with the Astros, them boys know some baseball..:2thumbsup:

STiger82
12-03-2016, 11:40 AM
I always said the Cerny brothers could coach and win with the Astros, them boys know some baseball..:2thumbsup:

Totally Agree!!!!

duckhunter
12-05-2016, 09:45 AM
I have heard from local's that a couple guys currently on staff have also applied for the job....Personally, I think they need some new blood to clean up the program. From what I hear the kids do whatever they want, and have no accountability and respect....sounds like a job for HC, or JL IMO.....I think the Commanche Chief stays put. Hard to imagine him wanting to return to Sealy at this point in time.

SealyFan
12-05-2016, 11:01 AM
I have heard from local's that a couple guys currently on staff have also applied for the job....Personally, I think they need some new blood to clean up the program. From what I hear the kids do whatever they want, and have no accountability and respect....sounds like a job for HC, or JL IMO.....I think the Commanche Chief stays put. Hard to imagine him wanting to return to Sealy at this point in time.

DuckHunter,
You are soooooo misinformed. Stop stirring the pot to get your agenda pushed through. I don't listen to coffee shop stupid rumors, I form my own opinion first hand. From what I've seen first hand kids have been held accountable and don't do what they want, which is why so many have been kicked out of the program for disrespect. This current coaching staff did a fine job IMO with very little to work with. I went to the games and I didn't see one game all year where Sealy had any where close to the same athletes as their opponent. Kids played hard, just ran out of gas most games.

XMan
12-05-2016, 01:01 PM
They need to get someone who will value students based solely on their ability to play football. Get a good recruiting coordinator/take any kid from KISD that isnt starting or gets kicked out. Get kids out of jail in time for the game, etc. You, know, all the things that TJ did.

Scoop27
12-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Jerry Long is quite that of a coach but if anyone can turn the program around he can. Too bad Sealy is in same district as El Campo and Stafford

Weebe
12-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Chancellor and Long are both very good coaches.

Chancellor's personality is a better fit for small town football.

XMan
12-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Cerny:chancellor=oil:water

zebrablue2
12-05-2016, 08:44 PM
DuckHunter,
You are soooooo misinformed. Stop stirring the pot to get your agenda pushed through. I don't listen to coffee shop stupid rumors, I form my own opinion first hand. From what I've seen first hand kids have been held accountable and don't do what they want, which is why so many have been kicked out of the program for disrespect. This current coaching staff did a fine job IMO with very little to work with. I went to the games and I didn't see one game all year where Sealy had any where close to the same athletes as their opponent. Kids played hard, just ran out of gas most games.

This goes back to one of my earlier post's, teaching life lessons, that was being done the right way, cleaning up was done.. I hear Sealy has a good Frosh class, so they might be a year or two away?

Scoop27
12-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Long is also a good fit for a small community like he was in EB. He supports and promotes all the boys and girls programs. He was also the EB golf coach for a few years in the spring. Will be a close call between him and Huey unless they find someone who would fit it

MJMbrahmas10
12-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Let's all hope Huey has enough sense not to go to sealy

Weebe
12-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Can it be worse than Rockport-Fulton or Edna?

duckhunter
12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Can it be worse than Rockport-Fulton or Edna?

yes....sealy is farther from the coast than the other two. easier/more opportunities to go fishing at edna/RF

MJMbrahmas10
12-06-2016, 03:16 PM
From a former brahma, yes sealy is way worse. Lol.

Scoop27
12-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Lake Somerville isn't that far from Sealy and Matagorda is just over an hour's drive

XMan
12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Fishing is of no matter to Huey. He only has one hobby, and that is football.

STiger82
12-06-2016, 10:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xkOGoAgtzs

zebrablue2
12-07-2016, 11:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xkOGoAgtzs

Cool 82,thanks!!!

957tiger
12-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Sealy is and will always be a freeway town. The politics in Sealy have stopped homes from being built and kept commercial growth at a stand still. Without homes nobody will move into town. Sadly that mindset has hurt the towns needed growth. The team did an amazing job this season with the talent they had. They hung with most teams but a predictable game plan hurt them in the second half of close games. I think Coach Holcomb under estimated Sealy fans and the history that is Tiger football. He definitely supported all sports but I think he didn't place a lot of value in winning. He felt that character was an important aspect in a young man's life. He was absolutely correct. But you build character in young men in many different ways. You will lose more games then you win. Grace in defeat and humility in victory. Coach Holcomb gave several former students an opportunity to coach at the 4a level. They took that experience and moved on to become successful at other schools. They ran Jimmie Mitchell out of town because he wasn't social enough and was viewed as only caring about football. Crazy thought that the HC would only care about football. Mitchell was one of three Tiger coaches to never have a losing season during their tenure. You see what that got him. No sir, being a head coach in Sealy is a challenge. Winning cures all. Even if winning isn't everything in your book at least try to give the impression it is. Good luck to Coach Holcomb and his family. He won't be out of work for long.

Weebe
12-14-2016, 09:02 PM
They ran Jimmie Mitchell out of town because he wasn't social enough and was viewed as only caring about football. Crazy thought that the HC would only care about football. Mitchell was one of three Tiger coaches to never have a losing season during their tenure. You see what that got him. No sir, being a head coach in Sealy is a challenge. Winning cures all.

That was my point about Jerry Long. If you want someone that will kiss babies and socialize with the old guys at the coffee shop, Long isn't your guy.

Chancellor much more fits that bill and that's why I think he is more suited for small town football.

stxtiger
12-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Coach Holcomb gave several former students an opportunity to coach at the 4a level. They took that experience and moved on to become successful at other schools.

If you are talking about the 3 that moved 10 miles down the road, 2 were Jimmy hires who stayed because they loved their town, the other student taught under Jimmy and came home because he wanted to coach there. They left because they weren't being given a shot and wanted to do things the right way. Funny how they moved to a school with no football history and made playoffs the first year. Also, I am tired of hearing this crap about no talent in Sealy. Sealy will always have talent. As a former player it makes me mad to hear that. The junior and senior class were both successful as freshman and jv players, that should translate over to varsity. This hire will be telling of how the community of Sealy views football.

duckhunter
12-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Sealy is and will always be a freeway town. The politics in Sealy have stopped homes from being built and kept commercial growth at a stand still. Without homes nobody will move into town.

might not be building a lot of homes, but they sure are building a lot of trailer parks...

SealyFan
12-15-2016, 02:29 PM
If you are talking about the 3 that moved 10 miles down the road, 2 were Jimmy hires who stayed because they loved their town, the other student taught under Jimmy and came home because he wanted to coach there. They left because they weren't being given a shot and wanted to do things the right way. Funny how they moved to a school with no football history and made playoffs the first year. Also, I am tired of hearing this crap about no talent in Sealy. Sealy will always have talent. As a former player it makes me mad to hear that. The junior and senior class were both successful as freshman and jv players, that should translate over to varsity. This hire will be telling of how the community of Sealy views football.

Did you even go to a game this year?? Sealy has no where near the talent the teams on our schedule had. Success at younger levels does not always guarantee success on Friday's. Sealy does a great job coaching their younger kids and that had a lot to do with the record. If you went to the Varsity games you would see the Jimmy-and -Joe's aren't the same. Get mad all you want.

stxtiger
12-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Did you even go to a game this year?? Sealy has no where near the talent the teams on our schedule had. Success at younger levels does not always guarantee success on Friday's. Sealy does a great job coaching their younger kids and that had a lot to do with the record. If you went to the Varsity games you would see the Jimmy-and -Joe's aren't the same. Get mad all you want.

I was at every game. Not once did I think Sealy doesn't have the talent to win this game. This no talent line that the coaching staff has been spewing needs to be put to bed. Talent might not be as good but it is good enough to make playoffs every year, and go better then 3-7.

OLE'BULL
12-16-2016, 12:41 AM
It's not that y'all didn't have talent, it's that you didn't have talent y'all are used to. I have said forever that if you look at 4 years worth of a Sealy roster, you will find 2-3 D-I athletes over those 4 years. Most of the time they are big timers too and think how many more there would be if the grades were there. Sealy is spoiled with those types, just not this year. I was talking with a fellow super knowledgeable Brahma fan last week trying to figure out who our last D-I athlete (signed out of high school) was. Anyone know who that is? Friggin Emmanuel Sanders, he is close to 30 years old! He wasn't even highly recruited out of high school. We may be missing someone but we thought pretty hard. Face it, 3 wins at Sealy High School falls primarily on coaching. The culture is no different there than in years past. I couldn't guess when the last time Sealy won 3 games or less was. In Bellville it was 2010 (pretty darn recently)and we pulled the plug on that coach before the bath water got cold and it was supported 100%. Good guys only get so far, this is Texas football.

On a side note, Chancellor ain't going to Sealy. Almost 100% verified tonight it's not happening.

sk1
12-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Heard a rumor today that Jerry Long is going to be named to AD/Head Football Coach at Sealy. Trying to get it confirmed.

duckhunter
12-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Heard a rumor today that Jerry Long is going to be named to AD/Head Football Coach at Sealy. Trying to get it confirmed.

No surprise there if that is indeed true. Sealy could use a little slot t in their life's. From what I understand is they were taking applicants until Christmas break so they should announce something officially within the next couple of weeks

sk1
12-30-2016, 05:49 PM
No surprise there if that is indeed true. Sealy could use a little slot t in their life's. From what I understand is they were taking applicants until Christmas break so they should announce something officially within the next couple of weeks

Official announcement to come Jan 18th at the school board meeting

wedo
01-03-2017, 09:27 AM
from what i heard they were still doing interviews this week

Weebe
01-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Chancellor won't be one of them from what I understand.

MJMbrahmas10
01-03-2017, 05:21 PM
I got news chancellor didn't apply. Great news.

Scoop27
01-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Gary Dusek the sports guy on radio station KVLG-KBUK out of La Grange said on his sportscast today that 94 coaches applied and that 15 are being interviewed over the next couple of weeks before that board meeting

d0tc0m
01-10-2017, 02:03 PM
"Sealy has called a special board meeting tmrw a new HFC/AD being hired is on the agenda #txhsfb @dctf"

Per Little Matt's twitter earlier today.

OLE'BULL
01-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Shane Mobley-Sweetwater, coming to Austin County...

Scoop27
01-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Is this a done deal?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
This is a bit of a surprise considering Jerry Long coached just down the road in East Bernard. But hey, maybe Sealy didn't want to run the Nasty Slot?

Scoop27
01-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Jerry will land on his feet and find a good school to coach at

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-11-2017, 04:31 AM
Jerry will land on his feet and find a good school to coach at

Maybe Jerry will toss his name into the hat at Port Isabel? Who knows. One thing is for sure, those boys sure do love running the ball.