PDA

View Full Version : Pray that this doesn't happen to your team....

Bulldog92
12-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Here in Washington, there was a 2A state semifinal game played last weekend. I don't remember what the names of the teams were, so I'll call one A and the other B. Team A was leading team B by 6 with :08 left in the game. They decide to snap the ball and run backward to through their own endzone to give team B a safety and run out the clock, thus winning the game by 4. As the player on team A gets to the goal line, he starts celebrating and drops the ball before getting out of the endzone. He doesn't realize what he's done and neither has the player from team B who, while standing in the endzone, picked up the ball and handed it to an official. Team B scored a TD on the play and after kicking the extra point, advanced to the state finals. Amazing....

Pudlugger
12-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Do you think the coach was upset? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MrForneyDude712
12-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Y didnt they just kneel it?

spiveyrat
12-07-2002, 10:29 AM
I heard about that... on Paul Harvey, I believe.

What a bummer for that kid. He'll get ribbed about that for the rest of his life.

Rabbit'93
12-07-2002, 10:51 AM
Kind of the same thing happened to my Forney team in the playoffs against Alvarado in '92. Their QB broke loose on a run and got to the one and droppped the ball and began celebrating. I guess he thought he was in before he was. One of our slow Dlineman recovered and brought it out to the fifty. It didn't help us win though. They kicked a 44yd fg to win the game by one. We put that on OUR highlight film. :p

SINTON81
12-07-2002, 11:22 AM
I found the story on the web, it is in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Here is the link
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/98055_moore02.shtml

eye of the tiger
12-07-2002, 12:03 PM
One of the DFW TV stations showed the flim clip last night. Incredible. I really feel for the lad.

PPHSfan
12-07-2002, 12:26 PM
This is one of those situations where there really is no good outcome of the game. The losing team had the game won and lost on a silly technicality, and the winning team knows that even though they are happy to advance....the other team really played the winning game.

I feel for both teams, and I am glad it's just a game.

But for such young hearts.....this can hurt for a long time.

Man...I hate to see things like this happen.

Rabbit'93
12-07-2002, 12:31 PM
The coach does an excellent job of trying to put things in perspective (in the article). It's got to be tough for the kid. The excitement and feeling of the moment got to him and just dropped the ball.

LWFH
12-07-2002, 12:46 PM
You gotta feel for the kid.

I was in Lynden this week on business and, thankfully, the comments I heard about the situation were overwhelmingly supportive and sympathetic towards the young man.

The coach, however, is not being forgiven quite as easily. Lots of discussion over that play call. It is a head scratcher. Especially since they had the ball at mid field when the play started.

JACKRABBITS
12-07-2002, 02:55 PM
well u couldnt take a quick knee like someone said cuz they wouldve gotten the ball at midfield with 1 play left and in high school, anything could happen...but what i wouldve done is start running the ball and if you can see when the clock hits all zeros, jus go down and game will be over...that has to be the worst way to ever lose a game, much less a semifinal game...

TXMike
12-07-2002, 04:00 PM
It is possible the direction the kid was running he would not have been able to see the scoreboard so would not know time remaining. But, some observers have claimed the end of game horn sounded while he was running so he could have just flopped down at that moment.

To the coach's credit, he has admiited not giving the kids specific enough directions, i.e. "Take the ball and run THROUGH the EZ" That would have resulted in a safety and time expiring.