PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs Celina for the Region II 4A Division 2 Championship

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Friday night 7:30 @ Mesquite Memorial

orange machine
11-26-2016, 02:54 AM
Well this week should be entertaining lol.

orange machine
11-26-2016, 02:54 AM
Who is home team?

WOS87
11-26-2016, 04:33 AM
Poll added

waterboy
11-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Me no see poll...

waterboy
11-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Ready to avenge last year's pick-6 debacle... :D

Dawgs
11-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Should be a good game. Both teams have a ton of tradition. Good to see them both back in the regional finals. The Buckeyes are a different animal than GW and PG. Gimme Gilmer by about 10.

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 04:02 PM
This game should not be close......just sayin'. I know Gilmer has had some trouble getting stops, but not against this year's Celina team. I just think the Buckeyes have too much firepower and speed for this game to remain close into the 2nd half. Gilmer by 3 TD's minimum.

buckeyebob
11-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Who is home team?

Everything I have seen thus far says We Be

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Probably. I think Celina's coach comes in and says we will give you whatever you want as long as we play in the Metroplex. We need to get them to Tyler just once!!!

buckeyebob
11-26-2016, 04:31 PM
This game should not be close......just sayin'. I know Gilmer has had some trouble getting stops, but not against this year's Celina team. I just think the Buckeyes have too much firepower and speed for this game to remain close into the 2nd half. Gilmer by 3 TD's minimum.

East Texas Speed Kills

buckeyebob
11-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Probably. I think Celina's coach comes in and says we will give you whatever you want as long as we play in the Metroplex. We need to get them to Tyler just once!!!

Yep!

waterboy
11-26-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm finally seeing the team leadership on this team that was lacking during the regular season in the past couple of weeks. The Buckeye defense is finally getting big stops with regularity, and the offense is clicking and making fewer mistakes. If that trend continues, Celina will be in trouble, in my opinion.

Dawgs
11-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Buckeyes haven't forgot about last year. This one might get ugly if Gilmer limits turnovers.

Dawgs
11-26-2016, 05:14 PM
East Texas Speed Kills

East Texas speed is deadly!!

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 05:34 PM
I'm finally seeing the team leadership on this team that was lacking during the regular season in the past couple of weeks. The Buckeye defense is finally getting big stops with regularity, and the offense is clicking and making fewer mistakes. If that trend continues, Celina will be in trouble, in my opinion.

I know you been playing on the 6man field for a few weeks. I think they are finally starting to figure it out. Buckeyes seem to be peaking at right time.

waterboy
11-26-2016, 05:59 PM
I know you been playing on the 6man field for a few weeks. I think they are finally starting to figure it out. Buckeyes seem to be peaking at right time.

Yes sir. I just watched the replay of the Jasper game, and I must say it does look like the Buckeyes are getting it figured out and peaking at the right time. The Buckeyes just need to keep winning so I can see them play again. All I want for Christmas this year is two state championships for the two teams I follow. Am I asking for too much? :D

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Well shoot. Looks like Celina is done for. All our slow footed little kids don't stand a chance. Kinda like Argyle last night. Wow!

WOS87
11-26-2016, 06:52 PM
:wave::1popcorn:

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Well shoot. Looks like Celina is done for. All our slow footed little kids don't stand a chance. Kinda like Argyle last night. Wow!

I wondered how long before you bit on that!! Lol

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 06:57 PM
I wondered how long before you bit on that!! Lol
Bit a bit busy today. Check your phone.

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 07:02 PM
You an arse wholly. But you have called me worse!!!

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 07:05 PM
You an arse wholly. But you have called me worse!!!
:fnypost: Did you get your honeydoos done while us guys went fishing and hunting?

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 07:15 PM

Heck, I was happy with the season Argyle just had......11-1 ain't all that bad when you lose to an Abilene Wylie team like they have this season. I'd call that run a pretty good one......all things considered. I'm not bashing Celina.....just giving my opinion of this matchup.

Dawgs
11-26-2016, 07:22 PM

All them slew footed boys don't stand a chance against a buncha spider monkeys!

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 07:30 PM
:fnypost: Did you get your honeydoos done while us guys went fishing and hunting?

That was a low blow!!! Lol

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 07:31 PM
All them slew footed boys don't stand a chance against a buncha spider monkeys!

Them spider monkeys gonna show out Friday night. They been waiting on this one.

Dawgs
11-26-2016, 07:38 PM
I have no doubt my 2nd favorite team will be way up for this one. Nothing better than putting it on a buncha rich city boys! 😜😜

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Hey bobcat1......this Crown Royal works pretty good to take away the sting of last night's loss.....and goes down smooth, too. I was thinking.....maybe you oughta go down and get some too before they run out.....just in case, LOL.

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Heck, I was happy with the season Argyle just had......11-1 ain't all that bad when you lose to an Abilene Wylie team like they have this season. I'd call that run a pretty good one......all things considered. I'm not bashing Celina.....just giving my opinion of this matchup.

No no no. You took that all wrong. I had Argyle picked for state champs in my bracket. I never thought Wylie didn't have a chance but to dominate Argyle like that means even Celina has a chance at beating Gilmer if that could happen to Argyle.

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Hey bobcat1......this Crown Royal works pretty good to take away the sting of last night's loss.....and goes down smooth, too. I was thinking.....maybe you oughta go down and get some too before they run out.....just in case, LOL.I'll stick to my Captain Morgan's Private Stock. Crown can't hold a candle to that stuff. It works for celebrations or defeats.:wave:

WOS87
11-26-2016, 07:52 PM
:1popcorn: There's only so much popcorn I can eat. I'm watching my
figure.

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 07:57 PM
You think so?

I have no doubt my 2nd favorite team will be way up for this one. Nothing better than putting it on a buncha rich city boys! ����
I just hope the Slew Footed Rich City Boys can stay on the field with the East Texas Speed Spider Monkeys.

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 07:58 PM
figure.

I'm almost done. I can only be a me against the world so long. I'll just eat some too. :1popcorn:

WOS87
11-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Navarro is gonna lose to Seminole. Watch it happen.

solocam
11-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Buckeyes roll to next round

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm almost done. I can only be a me against the world so long. I'll just eat some too. :1popcorn:

I think I'm gonna go stock up on some popcorn too......my play-by-play days this season are over, LOL. :wave:

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 09:32 PM

One thing about it .......they got a chance!!!

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 09:34 PM
figure.

I doubt this one gets out of hand. Maybe a couple of under handed jabs. We know what they bring, they know what we bring. They need leave that freaking horn at home. Won't be necessary this week.

bobcat1
11-26-2016, 11:54 PM
I doubt this one gets out of hand. Maybe a couple of under handed jabs. We know what they bring, they know what we bring. They need leave that freaking horn at home. Won't be necessary this week.
Oh so now we aren't even gonna score huh? Little Ricky and the horn is coming. That you can bank on.

orange machine
11-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Have all the Celina people left the downlow?

bobcat1
11-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Yes for the most part.

waterboy
11-27-2016, 09:15 AM
figure.

So..., we all know we are playing for second place. Don't remind us! :D

d0tc0m
11-27-2016, 10:27 AM

Bobcat1 and I are about the last two consistent posters.

PurplePop
11-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Not sure what to make of this. I'll just leave it alone. Thanks for letting us play in your division, though. It's been quite an honor.

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Not sure what to make of this. I'll just leave it alone. Thanks for letting us play in your division, though. It's been quite an honor.

We have a lot more sarcasm on our thread. You guys are to footbally over there.......I guess when you combine for 11 state championships you can be like that:D

d0tc0m
11-27-2016, 11:03 AM
We have a lot more sarcasm on our thread. You guys are to footbally over there.......I guess when you combine for 11 state championships you can be like that:D

Haha so true. And it's only Sunday. We'll start the football talk tomorrow.

PurplePop
11-27-2016, 11:19 AM

Yes, sir. I understand. Even your banter is better. Hope you had a good laugh at my expense. It's the least I can do. I'll return to my place now talking serious X's and O's with the R.4 posters (other than Cuero, of course, who has certainly achieved your level of jocular banter as well).

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Yes, sir. I understand. Even your banter is better. Hope you had a good laugh at my expense. It's the least I can do. I'll return to my place now talking serious X's and O's with the R.4 posters (other than Cuero, of course, who has certainly achieved your level of jocular banter as well).

You hang out with us. We will teach you all the tricks of being a smartass so you can hang with them Gobbler folks. :thumbsup:

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Here is some football talk. Aaron Brown broke the Gilmer passing record for most yards in a season Friday night. Poppy sits at 4314 which broke Manual Johnson's 2004 record and he still has a potential 3 games to go. He's headed for 5000 and the list of QBs he has passed is impressive to say the least. McKenzie, Johnson, Kinne, Godfrey just to name a few and I have left some good ones out.

d0tc0m
11-27-2016, 11:43 AM
Here is some football talk. Aaron Brown broke the Gilmer passing record for most yards in a season Friday night. Poppy sits at 4314 which broke Manual Johnson's 2004 record and he still has a potential 3 games to go. He's headed for 5000 and the list of QBs he has passed is impressive to say the least. McKenzie, Johnson, Kinne, Godfrey just to name a few and I have left some good ones out.

Really impressive for a first-year starter! Congrats to that young man for a great season thus far.

d0tc0m
11-27-2016, 11:43 AM
Some more football talk ... Celina will go for its 100th all-time playoff win on Friday.

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Some more football talk ... Celina will go for its 100th all-time playoff win on Friday.

Nice......too bad you will have to get it a year from now:D

d0tc0m
11-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Nice......too bad you will have to get it a year from now:D

Perhaps you are correct. Perhaps not.

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Perhaps you are correct. Perhaps not.

You know it's all in fun.

d0tc0m
11-27-2016, 12:19 PM
You know it's all in fun.

Oh, absolutely. You won't hurt my feelings, no matter what you say, and probably vise versa, I assume. The DownLow crowd is a bit more thick-skinned than the Smoaky crowd. Although, I do go over there for entertainment purposes, and to see what nonsense those folks make up about Celina. Then I laugh and come back here for actual discussion. But, to your original point, I had a post typed out saying I hope Poppy's record passing year came to an end on Friday, but my 1-year old got my phone and reloaded the page, somehow, and the post was gone, and I didn't feel like retyping it.

buckeyebob
11-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Yes sir. I just watched the replay of the Jasper game, and I must say it does look like the Buckeyes are getting it figured out and peaking at the right time. The Buckeyes just need to keep winning so I can see them play again. All I want for Christmas this year is two state championships for the two teams I follow. Am I asking for too much? :D

Not at all...it's our turn

buckeyebob
11-27-2016, 07:33 PM

Both...that just ain't right

buckeyebob
11-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Oh so now we aren't even gonna score huh? Little Ricky and the horn is coming. That you can bank on.

I do hate that damn horn!!

buckeyebob
11-27-2016, 07:38 PM

He is fun to watch.

pirate4state
11-27-2016, 08:07 PM

:sleeping: :blahblah:

:D

GO GILMER!

44INAROW
11-27-2016, 08:08 PM
You hang out with us. We will teach you all the tricks of being a smartass so you can hang with them Gobbler folks. :thumbsup:

Now y'all know I like to talk trash and mainly throwing out sarcasm. But it's kinda weird to with Bobcat and LostAussie and WOS87 cause "we be buds". Like I've said earlier. It's so nice to be BACK again, playing in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marler1972
11-27-2016, 08:14 PM

Yes, And we are Visitors.

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Now y'all know I like to talk trash and mainly throwing out sarcasm. But it's kinda weird to with Bobcat and LostAussie and WOS87 cause "we be buds". Like I've said earlier. It's so nice to be BACK again, playing in December.

Not because I have anything against Navarro........but I hope y'all get a shot at WOS. Either way.......I think both can at least give them a game.

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Yes, And we are Visitors.

But there used to be so many of you:D

marler1972
11-27-2016, 08:40 PM
But there used to be so many of you:D

when my oldest graduated I decided to take a little break.

bobcat1
11-27-2016, 08:51 PM

Back where y'all deserve to be! December football is awesome. Each week is one more week away from thump thump. Hated that game. Druther lift weights and run when I was a kid.

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Ok, I'm gonna say this. The first 5 or 6 times I saw Celina play they lost. Most were against Daingerfield who I despised also. But I had so much respect for the program. Y'all were who we wanted to be. The first time I knew we had really arrived was when we beat y'all the first time. I had never been so proud. We have knocked out Sampson........the giant had been slayed.

Oddly enough I don't think I ever went to a Celina game and.pulled for them.......until one night, in either Mansfield or Midlothian, i can't remember, you guys threw down with LH. I sat in the endzone with P4S and watched you kill them, when no one said you could. The mystique was alive and well. Never forgot that. I saw what tradition was all about that night.

bobcat1
11-27-2016, 08:53 PM
I do hate that damn horn!!

You will know when Celina is about to take the field I promise. :wave:

lostaussie
11-27-2016, 09:35 PM
You will know when Celina is about to take the field I promise. :wave:

Can they toot it for us too. I mean we want to know when we are coming out also. Like, we are buds and all!!

bobcat1
11-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Ok, I'm gonna say this. The first 5 or 6 times I saw Celina play they lost. Most were against Daingerfield who I despised also. But I had so much respect for the program. Y'all were who we wanted to be. The first time I knew we had really arrived was when we beat y'all the first time. I had never been so proud. We have knocked out Sampson........the giant had been slayed.

Oddly enough I don't think I ever went to a Celina game and.pulled for them.......until one night, in either Mansfield or Midlothian, i can't remember, you guys threw down with LH. I sat in the endzone with P4S and watched you kill them, when no one said you could. The mystique was alive and well. Never forgot that. I saw what tradition was all about that night.
Yes that was what is Celina. You witnessed the mystique it at Midlothian.

I came close to living in Gilmer. I was offered a heck of a job there at a car lot managing it. I had 4 boys... maybe that was part of it. I just couldn't move that far from my security blanket. Y'all have earned your respect and yes I do respect what y'all have done.

Seems like the cream always rises to the top like Sweetwater, Gilmer, Argyle, Wylie, Cuero. WOS, Navarro, Giddings, China Spring, Carthage..... anyway you get the drift, the list could go on and on. the old cliche' is true, Tradition never graduates it just reloads.

bobcat1
11-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Can they toot it for us too. I mean we want to know when we are coming out also. Like, we are buds and all!!
Oh we are buds for sure but I doubt Little Ricky will waste air to announce y'all coming out. That does sound funny. LOL

oldtownag
11-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Not at all...it's our turn

If you lose you can come and watch a real team.

lostaussie
11-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Oh we are buds for sure but I doubt Little Ricky will waste air to announce y'all coming out. That does sound funny. LOL

Can you get me little Ricky's number please:D

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Can you get me little Ricky's number please:D

Little Ricky would never answer a call from an Upshur County number.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Getting back to football a bit, Celina is a little banged up, or, they were against Pleasant Grove. The Bobcats had two defensive starters out against the Hawks, and starting RB John Franklin went down with an ankle injury in the fourth quarter, I believe. I heard it was not serious and he'd be fine to go this week, but I can't confirm that, honestly. Even with the two defensive starters down, though, the Bobcats pretty well dominated PG's offense. The Hawks had two big passing plays - one of which was a TD and came when the defender fell at the line of scrimmage - and one big rushing TD. Other than that, the Hawks had trouble moving the ball against the Bobcats.

Obviously, it'll be a different animal this week.

lostaussie
11-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Obviously, it'll be a different animal this week. Actually it's not an animal, it's a poisonous nut:D

waterboy
11-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Yes that was what is Celina. You witnessed the mystique it at Midlothian.

I came close to living in Gilmer. I was offered a heck of a job there at a car lot managing it. I had 4 boys... maybe that was part of it. I just couldn't move that far from my security blanket. Y'all have earned your respect and yes I do respect what y'all have done.

Seems like the cream always rises to the top like Sweetwater, Gilmer, Argyle, Wylie, Cuero. WOS, Navarro, Giddings, China Spring, Carthage..... anyway you get the drift, the list could go on and on. the old cliche' is true, Tradition never graduates it just reloads.

Just think of all of those scholarship offers your boys could've had at Gilmer! :D

For the life of me I can't figure out why there hasn't been scholarship offers more forthcoming for Kelton Collier... This kid is a BEAST.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 11:37 AM
This will be a very tough matchup for Celina. Gilmer will be the best team the Bobcats have faced this season. The closest thing the Bobcats have seen is Argyle. That game was a blowout. But the good news, however, is this Celina team is nowhere close to being the same team that got beat by 30 in Week 3, or the one that inexplicably lost to Princeton in Week 1.

Gilmer seems to be peaking at the right time, and it looks like they've played, perhaps, their two best games of the season the past two weeks. The offense is clicking, and the defense is really starting to make life tough on the opposition. You always know the Buckeyes' offense is going to be there. But when their defense starts to round into form, that's when it's time to get worried. That said, having watched some film, and having seen the Celina/PG game in person last week, I'll say this, I don't think the Buckeyes defense is as good as the Hawks' (who are much, much better than their final record shows). Pleasant Grove's defensive front was very physical and very disciplined. They were probably the best defense Celina has faced this season, and that's even taking Argyle into consideration. Their secondary was very athletic and flew to the ball, and they didn't miss many tackles or have too many blown assignments. It wasn't until the fourth quarter that Celina's o-line started to manhandle PG. And, while I think PG's defensive front is better than Gilmer's, I don't think Celina will be able to impose its will on the Buckeyes until late in the fourth, either. The Buckeyes' front doesn't have a ton of size, but they are quick and physical, and they seem to tackle well. That means the Bobcats are going to have to keep this game really close heading into the fourth quarter. If they can do that, I like Celina's chances of being able to burn clock, grind the Buckeyes to death and close out a ballgame. But, as any team that has played Gilmer over the years will tell you, that's a tough assignment.

Celina's offense will have to be its best defense this week, and the key to that will be the play of the offensive line. If the Bobcats are able to get a good push up front against Gilmer's defensive line, and allow room for our fairly speedy backs to plant their foot (feet) and go, we can go three, four or five yards at a time, maybe even break a long run here and there, and burn clock, move the sticks and keep Poppy and the Buckeyes' offense on the sidelines. If Gilmer's front lives in Celina's backfield and forces the Bobcats into long, or even predictable, passing situations, then it's going to be a very tough night.

As always, though, if you move the ball against the Buckeyes, that's great, but it's all for naught if you don't get into the end zone, because one thing's for certain ... Gilmer gon' Gilmer, and the Buckeyes are going to find the end zone more than occasionally come Friday night.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Just think of all of those scholarship offers your boys could've had at Gilmer! :D

For the life of me I can't figure out why there hasn't been scholarship offers more forthcoming for Kelton Collier... This kid is a BEAST.

How big is Collier? He doesn't look DeMarco Boyd big, but on film, he looks like he's got some beef to him. He could probably beat me in a footrace too, so there's that.

waterboy
11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
How big is Collier? He doesn't look DeMarco Boyd big, but on film, he looks like he's got some beef to him. He could probably beat me in a footrace too, so there's that.

They have him listed as 5'11' 195 lbs. Sounds about right. He's probably a legit 4.6 40 guy. He is still a growing young man, and Celina will get a heavy dose of him Friday.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 12:03 PM
They have him listed as 5'11' 195 lbs. Sounds about right. He's probably a legit 4.6 40 guy. He is still a growing young man, and Celina will get a heavy dose of him Friday.

Good. Poor Poppy's arm needs a break. Let the kid go under center and just give it to Collier out of the wing-T 30 or 40 times. I know Morton, Jones and Heath have gotta be winded, too, and they'd probably be grateful for the respite.

waterboy
11-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Good. Poor Poppy's arm needs a break. Let the kid go under center and just give it to Collier out of the wing-T 30 or 40 times. I know Morton, Jones and Heath have gotta be winded, too, and they'd probably be grateful for the respite.

Now, there's an idea! Play right into the hands of the Bobcat 10-1 defense, and take the ball out of Poppy's hands. NOPE!

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 12:20 PM

Now, there's an idea! Play right into the hands of the Bobcat 10-1 defense, and take the ball out of Poppy's hands. NOPE!

It's just a hunch, but I doubt you see the 10-1 this week, regardless of what some of the less insightful people on Smoaky tell you.

waterboy
11-28-2016, 12:22 PM
It's just a hunch, but I doubt you see the 10-1 this week, regardless of what some of the less insightful people on Smoaky tell you.

Yep, I suspect there will definitely be some defensive change ups. The 10-1 won't work too well against us.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Yep, I suspect there will definitely be some defensive change ups. The 10-1 won't work too well against us.

No, it won't, and, to be honest, it really wasn't designed to. The 10-1 was created to stop much less exotic offenses. But I think Coach A Ford and the rest of the defensive staff will put together a solid game plan. We've got a couple of Gilmer ex's on staff, too, so that helps a bit. We can make the life of the defense much easier if our offensive line wins the battle in the trenches, though.

orange machine
11-28-2016, 01:12 PM

I would have though he was bigger say 215ish. He looks big in person.

waterboy
11-28-2016, 01:29 PM
I would have though he was bigger say 215ish. He looks big in person.

He definitely looks a little thicker than that in person. I was thinking in the same range as you, but that's how they have him listed. I think he has D1 talent.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 01:35 PM
He definitely looks a little thicker than that in person. I was thinking in the same range as you, but that's how they have him listed. I think he has D1 talent.

He runs really well, and has pretty good patience and vision. He's not quite as tough to bring down as DeMarco was, but he's not a first-contact-and-down kinda kid. He'll get some yards against the Bobcats. The Celina defensive line will have to make sure it penetrates, sets the edge and doesn't get caught too far upfield. Of course, if you get too much penetration, Gilmer will just bludgeon you to death with those little screen plays.

The Buckeyes are far from unbeatable, obviously, but sheesh, they're a matchup nightmare on paper. I'm sure they have handed out plenty of migraines to opposing defensive coordinators over the years. I'm glad Celina's DC is much smarter than I am!

waterboy
11-28-2016, 01:52 PM
I think his best position is at LB, although he hasn't played there much this season. While he is very good at RB because of his power, I think #33 Rashaad Ward is more of a RB type, and he doesn't get to play much at all.

lostaussie
11-28-2016, 02:05 PM
We need to turn #33 loose.......I have no idea what they are waiting on. That kid is a bull.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 03:38 PM
We need to turn #33 loose.......I have no idea what they are waiting on. That kid is a bull.

It seems like Gilmer folks have been saying this for a few years now. There is obviously a reason he doesn't play more. None of you guys have the story as to why he doesn't get more snaps?

waterboy
11-28-2016, 04:21 PM
It seems like Gilmer folks have been saying this for a few years now. There is obviously a reason he doesn't play more. None of you guys have the story as to why he doesn't get more snaps?

I do, but I'm not telling. :tongue:

He has matured a lot as the season has progressed, and has at least seen some PT.

lostaussie
11-28-2016, 04:26 PM

I do not.......but he's only a junior so hopefully he's the man next year. We have a sophomore #22 Trendon Brooks I think, that gets more touches that Rashad does. I'm sure they have a reason, that's why they the coaches and I'm not.

bobcat1
11-28-2016, 10:13 PM

Of course he does. He plays for Gilmer. They recruit nothing but D1 talent. :taunt:

tricky1965
11-29-2016, 12:04 AM
No, it won't, and, to be honest, it really wasn't designed to. The 10-1 was created to stop much less exotic offenses. But I think Coach A Ford and the rest of the defensive staff will put together a solid game plan. We've got a couple of Gilmer ex's on staff, too, so that helps a bit. We can make the life of the defense much easier if our offensive line wins the battle in the trenches, though.

tricky1965
11-29-2016, 12:04 AM

I know nick York is there. Who is the other Gilmer ex?

marler1972
11-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Michael Tucker

tricky1965
11-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Michael Tucker

Hmm, don't know him. Thanks for the info

d0tc0m
11-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I had to get on twitter to do some things for work today, and I thought I'd snoop around a bit and see if there was any talk happening about Friday's game, and, boy, lots of noise coming from the Gilmer side. I didn't see anything inappropriate or vindictive or any personal attacks - save a few shots at Celina's QB - but it was all fairly entertaining. Pretty quiet from the Celina camp, though.

marler1972
11-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Hmm, don't know him. Thanks for the info

He was on the same team as york.

d0tc0m
11-29-2016, 12:33 PM
He was on the same team as york.

I was about to type this in reply to you, tricky. But Mr. Marler is all over it!

Both York and Tucker have been pivotal hires for the Celina staff, in my opinion.

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Both those guys are great. Neither one was very big, but both could run patterns and catch the football from Poppy Brown's half-brother Derek McKenzie with their glue-fingered hands. They got to play in the first few years of the dynasty and all of us remember the early 2000s as very special seasons before winning became routine.

d0tc0m
11-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Both those guys are great. Neither one was very big, but both could run patterns and catch the football from Poppy Brown's half-brother Derek McKenzie with their glue-fingered hands. They got to play in the first few years of the dynasty and all of us remember the early 2000s as very special seasons before winning became routine.

And they've developed some of the same style receivers at Celina. York is an assistant OC and is the passing game coordinator for us now, and his input has paid huge dividends.

marler1972
11-29-2016, 01:11 PM
And they've developed some of the same style receivers at Celina. York is an assistant OC and is the passing game coordinator for us now, and his input has paid huge dividends.

Wish my oldest would have had a couple years with York rather than just one.......

d0tc0m
11-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Wish my oldest would have had a couple years with York rather than just one.......

So does the rest of the Celina community! Wish he was still playing! That boy was a stud in his own right, but a few years with York would've probably put him at a different level.

coach
11-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Traylor coming back if Celina wins?

lostaussie
11-29-2016, 02:21 PM

Just stop it already

coach
11-29-2016, 02:38 PM
Just stop it already

He could come back as Gilmer's number one recruiter. I hear he has a knack for landing top notch east Texas talent.

lostaussie
11-29-2016, 02:59 PM
He could come back as Gilmer's number one recruiter. I hear he has a knack for landing top notch east Texas talent.

You should go on the Tonight Show with that

d0tc0m
11-29-2016, 03:28 PM

I remember when Celina had to hear this kind of stuff about G.A. Moore back in the day. It's as unoriginal - but still kinda funny - now as it was then.

bobcat1
11-29-2016, 10:45 PM

Just stop it already

Not Traylor. Jesus!

d0tc0m
11-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Not Traylor. Jesus!

This and coffee was exactly what I needed to get my Wednesday morning going.

waterboy
11-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Celina ain't winning......., so there! :D

I'm pretty sure Jeff will stay in the college ranks, but IF he ever decided he wanted his old job back...., I'm pretty sure it would be his.

d0tc0m
11-30-2016, 09:58 AM

Heard that last year, too. ;)

waterboy
11-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Heard that last year, too. ;)

Not from me. There were too many "ifs" last season, mainly because of the pick-6 plague. Our offense was seriously lacking. We still make mistakes, but they are getting less and less frequent.

Still..., I'm saying this in jest. I'm not "positive" it'll happen, but I do believe in this year's bunch.

coach
11-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Is that the one with Jimmy Fallon? No thanks.

coach
11-30-2016, 10:34 AM

I'm pretty sure Jeff will stay in the college ranks, but IF he ever decided he wanted his old job back...., I'm pretty sure it would be his.

I am hearing he might be headed back to HS football. I could be dead wrong. Also, I am surprised Fedora doesn't go the college route. As an Aggie, I was wanting him to get on with them.

coach
11-30-2016, 10:40 AM
I remember when Celina had to hear this kind of stuff about G.A. Moore back in the day. It's as unoriginal - but still kinda funny - now as it was then.

I will never forget the ridicule I got on this board for saying a lot of inner city schools recruit. I got ripped apart on this board. About 2 years later the thing with Dallas Madison happened. It happens a lot more than people think. lol

d0tc0m
11-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Not from me. There were too many "ifs" last season, mainly because of the pick-6 plague. Our offense was seriously lacking. We still make mistakes, but they are getting less and less frequent.

Still..., I'm saying this in jest. I'm not "positive" it'll happen, but I do believe in this year's bunch.

And you should believe in this year's bunch! They're peaking at the right time, and they're so dang explosive on offense. Gilmer's going to be tough to stop. But I hope the Bobcats have picked up enough experience and confidence - and have confidence from last year's win - to make it two in a row over the Buckeyes. Celina will have to play a near-flawless game, that's for sure.

lostaussie
11-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Normally we come out of the gate balls a blasting. This is first time I can remember we have improved as the season went along. At this point we are so much better than earlier in the year. Penalties,turnovers, coaching, we are just better in all phases....... except punting. We suck at punting. The only good thing is we don't do it very much.

d0tc0m
11-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Normally we come out of the gate balls a blasting. This is first time I can remember we have improved as the season went along. At this point we are so much better than earlier in the year. Penalties,turnovers, coaching, we are just better in all phases....... except punting. We suck at punting. The only good thing is we don't do it very much.

That's true. And that'll be a big key for Celina on Friday ... making the Buckeyes do something they don't do very often.

In order to do that, the Bobcats are going to have to win the field position battle. If Gilmer is anywhere near midfield, there's simply no way they punt, even if it's 4th-and-7, or something similar. The only way you can make them kick it away is to keep them pinned back at the 30-yard line or deeper in their own territory. Then you have to win first down every single time, force them into really obvious passing situations on second and third down, and adjust your coverage, bring pressure where needed and get your defense off the field.

When you look at Gilmer on film, or when you start to chart their plays, it's a little spooky. But the spread offense scares me less and less the more I watch it. I hope Celina's defense doesn't get spooked and play on its heels the whole night, hoping the Buckeyes beat themselves with silly throws or fumbles, or dropped balls, etc. A machine like Gilmer feasts on that kind of defense. Instead, I hope Celina plays selectively aggressive. What I mean is, I hope they attack the spread with different looks and disguised coverages/blitzes, and I hope they pick opportune times to bring pressure in the right places and try to disrupt Poppy's rhythm. You've got to try and confuse Poppy at the line, make him think he's going to see one coverage, then, after the snap, he seems something else entirely. That can lead to a young QB - let's not forget that despite his gaudy numbers, this is his first year as a starter - forcing some throws into windows that looked open at the line of scrimmage, but closed after the snap, especially if you're able to get any kind of pass rush also. To me, that's the only way you beat Gilmer and/or an exotic spread offense.

Obviously, that's easier said than done, or Gilmer would lose more often. But I'm confident in the gameplan the Celina staff, both offensively and defensively, will put together for Friday.

d0tc0m
12-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Safe travels to everyone heading out to Mesquite this evening. Hopefully the rain stays away and these two teams treat the fans to another clean, injury-free grudge match!

44INAROW
12-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Safe travels to everyone heading out to Mesquite this evening. Hopefully the rain stays away and these two teams treat the fans to another clean, injury-free grudge match!
Safe travels to all the Gilmer and Celina fans.... I just hope the streaming sites don't crash - I'm willing to bet they'll get A LOT of views tonight :)

pirate4state
12-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Go get 'em Gilmer! :cheerl:

bobcat1
12-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Go get 'em Gilmer! :cheerl:They did. 10,13 and 5 are studs. 13 is a bad man. Congrats Gilmer. Great game! Congrats to my Bobcats on a great season. On to off season!

d0tc0m
12-03-2016, 01:42 AM
Congratulations Gilmer! You guys have a fabulous team, with some truly spectacular athletes (namely, the ones bobcat1 just mentioned). I thought both teams played really hard and tough, and both teams showed class.

I really thought the game was much closer than the score indicated, but Gilmer fans probably have a different perspective. To me, from what I saw, Celina was a good enough team and was very capable of winning that game. However, they simply didn't play good enough tonight. Some costly penalties, fumbled snaps and turnovers killed a lot more Celina drives than the Buckeyes defense did. I thought Celina moved the ball really well on offense, but the aforementioned mistakes, combined with some timely defensive plays by Gilmer, kept the Bobcats out of the end zone for the most part. Most Celina fans knew the Bobcats were going to have to play as close to flawlessly as possible, and it just wasn't to be tonight.

That second quarter really was the demise for Celina. Gilmer scored 29 unanswered, and in a hurry! I didn't think Celina'a defense played terribly, as they were in position to make plays most of the night. They just didn't tackle very well, and, honestly, a lot of that just had to do with the freakish athleticism of the Buckeyes. Morton was as advertised, and Poppy Brown - once he settled down - made some really fantastic throws that were perfectly placed.

I'm proud of this Celina team, though! They went further than most close to the program probably expected. But these young Bobcats got a lot of experience and will reload with some very nice upcoming talent and probably be quite a bit better next season, and for the next few seasons after that.

Congrats again, Gilmer! I truly believe WOS is the only team left with a chance of stopping - more like slowing down - you guys from here on out. Enjoy the ride!

Aesculus gilmus
12-03-2016, 02:06 AM
I don't think John Franklin was fully recovered from his injury the week before.

Conner Pingleton started out as if he were Superman again and I was having flashbacks to last year's game.

I really thought Celina was still in it when they had us stopped and the score was 36-17 and then they were called for roughing our punter.

Great game. Gilmer just had a few more athletes this year, as others have said. Congrats to both teams for making it this far. Glad the rain mostly held off. Frankly, I was worried it would rain heavily and then all bets were off because Gilmer is a "pass first" offense this season.

bobcat1
12-03-2016, 07:59 AM
I don't think John Franklin was fully recovered from his injury the week before.

Conner Pingleton started out as if he were Superman again and I was having flashbacks to last year's game.

I really thought Celina was still in it when they had us stopped and the score was 36-17 and then they were called for roughing our punter.

Great game. Gilmer just had a few more athletes this year, as others have said. Congrats to both teams for making it this far. Glad the rain mostly held off. Frankly, I was worried it would rain heavily and then all bets were off because Gilmer is a "pass first" offense this season.
They don't have to be pass first. They can sure run the ball and probably should a little more. Congrats again!

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Celina had the biggest offensive line I have ever seen in a game of this classification.

bobcat1
12-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Celina had the biggest offensive line I have ever seen in a game of this classification.
And should have used them like they did 1st quarter. Congrats bud!

d0tc0m
12-03-2016, 10:36 AM
And should have used them like they did 1st quarter. Congrats bud!

Agreed. Good news is they won't lose much size next season.

buckeyebob
12-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Most of the 3rd & 4th, they looked like same guy...all had their hands on their hips...

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Most of the 3rd & 4th, they looked like same guy...all had their hands on their hips...

So did the defense......which can be contributed to the awful tackling. Celina's guys were nearly always where they were supposed to be. But when the first guy missed we were gashing them.

bobcat1
12-03-2016, 12:42 PM
So did the defense......which can be contributed to the awful tackling. Celina's guys were nearly always where they were supposed to be. But when the first guy missed we were gashing them.
This! All too often. Partly due to the athleticism of the Gilmer guys. They drink different water and eat lots of Hot Links I bet.

lostaussie
12-03-2016, 12:54 PM
This! All too often. Partly due to the athleticism of the Gilmer guys. They drink different water and eat lots of Hot Links I bet.

I might have some Doc's in your honor today Bobcat!!

bobcat1
12-03-2016, 02:46 PM
I might have some Doc's in your honor today Bobcat!!
Now that's a low blow while I sit here eating fresh deer chili. :wave: