PDA

View Full Version : WO-S (13-0) vs Giddings (11-2) Friday 12/2 4AD2 Region III Finals 7:30pm New Caney

WOS87
11-25-2016, 10:24 PM
The Mustangs and Buffs have a relatively contentious history and rivalry against each other dating back to 2005 with several high-profile games between the two. They last met in the 2014 Playoffs with WOS coming out on top 34-14 in the Area round.

buff4ever
11-26-2016, 12:49 AM
This much is true, and it is our turn to win this one.

On a serious note, how in the heck are teams suppose to score on you guys.

WOS87
11-26-2016, 05:20 AM
http://www.orangeleader.com/2016/11/25/mustangs-romp-brahmas/

Orange Leader Bellville game story

Saggy Aggie
11-26-2016, 11:20 AM
I think this will be WOS' toughest opponent yet and closest game.... but I still like WOS by 21

solocam
11-26-2016, 03:13 PM
WOS rolls to next round

AggiesAreWe
11-26-2016, 06:26 PM
43-7 wo-s

buff4ever
11-27-2016, 02:05 PM
There is no advancement for being best opponent, we will have to try and find something that works snd beat them. This may be easier said than done. This wos team has been made out to be the best team to ever play 4a ball.

OLE'BULL
11-27-2016, 02:44 PM
There is no advancement for being best opponent, we will have to try and find something that works snd beat them. This may be easier said than done. This wos team has been made out to be the best team to ever play 4a ball.

That last sentence has been echoed a lot, or at least the last 8 words of it. I have heard it from a few people and have even mentioned it myself. They went to state 2 years ago, won it last year, and I will bet the farm they win it again this year. Even when Sealy was so good and won 4 in a row in the late 90's, they had nowhere near the talent of this WOS team. Their offense gets a lot of credit but it's their D that makes that ship sail (in my opinion). They are too big, too fast, too strong, too talented, and most of all- too well coached to not win it again. I love an upset and anything can happen in the Texas football playoffs, I just don't see the Buffs pulling it out. I do hope it's a great game and best of luck to ya both!

1st and goal
11-27-2016, 04:18 PM
For sure this is the "gauntlet" game for Giddings when they are in R3.

Giddings has some really good athletes. They will have to play a mistake free game to win. This will involve having to make plenty of 1st downs keeping the ball out of WOS hands. They will also have to keep their motivation up if they get down by 2 scores. They need to remember that they can score from almost any play if properly executed. If the young men can keep their heads in the game and not get side tracked with trash talk and such, they can play good ball.

GUNHO
11-27-2016, 04:43 PM
That last sentence has been echoed a lot, or at least the last 8 words of it. I have heard it from a few people and have even mentioned it myself. They went to state 2 years ago, won it last year, and I will bet the farm they win it again this year. Even when Sealy was so good and won 4 in a row in the late 90's, they had nowhere near the talent of this WOS team. Their offense gets a lot of credit but it's their D that makes that ship sail (in my opinion). They are too big, too fast, too strong, too talented, and most of all- too well coached to not win it again. I love an upset and anything can happen in the Texas football playoffs, I just don't see the Buffs pulling it out. I do hope it's a great game and best of luck to ya both!

I appreciate the comments.I'm a firm believer in it ain't over till it's over.Giddings always gives us a good game and that is what i'm expecting from them.

Old QB
11-27-2016, 06:00 PM
For sure this is the "gauntlet" game for Giddings when they are in R3.

Giddings has some really good athletes. They will have to play a mistake free game to win. This will involve having to make plenty of 1st downs keeping the ball out of WOS hands. They will also have to keep their motivation up if they get down by 2 scores. They need to remember that they can score from almost any play if properly executed. If the young men can keep their heads in the game and not get side tracked with trash talk and such, they can play good ball.

Giddings, how good is your pass defense? That will determine the outcome of the game.

PurplePop
11-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Just for fun, I'll state the obvious about West Orange-Stark. It's difficult to slow down their run game (1) because they block well and have a very physical, fast RB and (2) because you're so worried about their passing game. And, it's very difficult to slow down their passing game period. Even if you kind of control their running game and make passing the ball kind of difficult, the dang quarterback is like a water bug and before you know it he's heading into the end zone. And, of course, their defense is probably better than their offense, which is all you need to say there. And, finally, the main thing you need to practice on before playing WOS is getting your punter to net as many yards as possible while also kicking the ball out of bounds. Otherwise, you might as well go for it on every fourth down. The upside is you don't have to work on kick off coverage at all that week. Those one or two kickoffs are definitely going out of bounds.

WOS1
11-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Just for fun, I'll state the obvious about West Orange-Stark. It's difficult to slow down their run game (1) because they block well and have a very physical, fast RB and (2) because you're so worried about their passing game. And, it's very difficult to slow down their passing game period. Even if you kind of control their running game and make passing the ball kind of difficult, the dang quarterback is like a water bug and before you know it he's heading into the end zone. And, of course, their defense is probably better than their offense, which is all you need to say there. And, finally, the main thing you need to practice on before playing WOS is getting your punter to net as many yards as possible while also kicking the ball out of bounds. Otherwise, you might as well go for it on every fourth down. The upside is you don't have to work on kick off coverage at all that week. Those one or two kickoffs are definitely going out of bounds.

Lol... I just hope we can keep playing well enough to earn these comments. I agree with them, but we still have a bunch of work to do and anything can happen.

I've seen the Liberty and Gonzales games for Giddings. They remind me (somewhat) of Silsbee.

WOS87
11-27-2016, 06:46 PM
I'd be worrying about Cuero right now Purplepop

strosfan
11-27-2016, 07:04 PM
It is clear that Giddings will have to make a mistake free game in order to have a chance. WOS I've heard many times too is the best team ever in 4a. If they start to pull away in the 2nd quarter, it's over. WOS will run away with it. Probably by 21 or more. Now if it's still close at half time, then anything can happen. This is round 4, to make it to round 4 every opponent is good at this point. It's obvious that WOS has a big advantage, but anything can happen in the playoffs. I remember in like 2005 there was a Gilmer team that was amazing. Some people even said they were good enough to win 4a back then, which we were all 3a at that time. Turns out they lost in the first round of the playoffs, to a team that played a perfect game against them. I think it was Liberty Eylau.

griff
11-27-2016, 07:37 PM
It is clear that Giddings will have to make a mistake free game in order to have a chance. WOS I've heard many times too is the best team ever in 4a. If they start to pull away in the 2nd quarter, it's over. WOS will run away with it. Probably by 21 or more. Now if it's still close at half time, then anything can happen. This is round 4, to make it to round 4 every opponent is good at this point. It's obvious that WOS has a big advantage, but anything can happen in the playoffs. I remember in like 2005 there was a Gilmer team that was amazing. Some people even said they were good enough to win 4a back then, which we were all 3a at that time. Turns out they lost in the first round of the playoffs, to a team that played a perfect game against them. I think it was Liberty Eylau.

So true. Many of the "best team ever" comments on various message boards (not just this one) have come from fans not from WO-S. The fans and coaches remember well the loss to Brookshire Royal in 2010 - a team WO-S had no business losing to. Brookshire Royal had been manhandled by WO-S the two previous years, which probably bred some overconfidence. Well, BR was a one-man wrecking crew that night (Brandon Williams) and WO-S's season was over quick. There are a few other examples, but this one still resonates with many of the fans. It wasn't that long ago. It's not a cliche - it's true - on any given night...

WO-S will be prepared for this game.

pirate4state
11-27-2016, 08:17 PM
So true. Many of the "best team ever" comments on various message boards (not just this one) have come from fans not from WO-S. The fans and coaches remember well the loss to Brookshire Royal in 2010 - a team WO-S had no business losing to. Brookshire Royal had been manhandled by WO-S the two previous years, which probably bred some overconfidence. Well, BR was a one-man wrecking crew that night (Brandon Williams) and WO-S's season was over quick. There are a few other examples, but this one still resonates with many of the fans. It wasn't that long ago. It's not a cliche - it's true - on any given night...

WO-S will be prepared for this game.

Hey Sinton beat Williams' Royal team in 2009 :D

Good luck against the Buffs. I know I watched y'all play each other, but I can't remember what year it was.

PurplePop
11-27-2016, 09:31 PM
I'd be worrying about Cuero right now Purplepop

I always stay off the Navarro game week thread. Don't want to mess with the football gods.

hookandladder
11-28-2016, 10:23 AM
I saw only one LG game this year and it was against Giddings, if Giddings had a solid QB to get the ball to their skilled players this game could go either way but that is not the case. WOS by 21.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 11:12 AM

You're one year off on that Gilmer team. It was 2006, and the Buckeyes fell to a LE team that featured Will Middlebrooks and LaMichael James and went on to win the state championship.

Another example of the 'Best Ever' falling short was the 2010 Brownwood team.

LionFan72
11-28-2016, 12:01 PM
You're one year off on that Gilmer team. It was 2006, and the Buckeyes fell to a LE team that featured Will Middlebrooks and LaMichael James and went on to win the state championship.

Amen, we lost on the last play: not really but we has a chance!
Don't think Giddings can stay with all the posters "gracious" comments about WOS, but Giddings has a good team, could surprise the nay-sayers, but guess I will go along with the hype and say WOS by 7+. Good luck to both, all teams are deserving here on to SC.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Amen, we lost on the last play: not really but we has a chance!
Don't think Giddings can stay with all the posters "gracious" comments about WOS, but Giddings has a good team, could surprise the nay-sayers, but guess I will go along with the hype and say WOS by 7+. Good luck to both, all teams are deserving here on to SC.

Well, that was a dang good Carthage team. And, even though you fell short, that Brownwood team was still a blast to watch.

d0tc0m
11-28-2016, 12:05 PM
As much as I'd like to see Giddings pull the improbable upset, I just can't foresee a situation where that happens. WOS has too much on both sides of the ball. No knock on Giddings, because it appears you have a fine team, but the Mustangs win going away with it yet again.

waterboy
11-28-2016, 12:08 PM

I was one of those that wasn't on any high school forums yet in 2006, but I didn't buy into the hype that year. Yes, the Buckeyes were good, especially on offense. I told my wife and brother on the way to the car after beating Daingerfield (62-42) in the second game of the season that the Buckeyes weren't going to win state unless they learned how to play defense. I wasn't sold on them at all. As a matter of fact, we were talking on the way to the bi-district game against Liberty-Eylau and we were worried about them. I told my brother that if we didn't score 40 points we would lose. We lost 39-36. Amazing huh? True story, though.

This game will be just another blowout win by WO-S. Ho hum... I do think the Mustangs will be tested next week for sure, though.

LionFan72
11-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Well, that was a dang good Carthage team. And, even though you fell short, that Brownwood team was still a blast to watch.

Brownwood was predominately all offense in 2010, hoping the defense could get a stop or two. Exciting team yes, SC's must have a defense. Defense wins ball games as the ole saying goes. And Carthage was a great team in 2010, best ball game I have witnessed in all my advanced years.

Maybe this week, I will be allowed to witness another "top 10" favorite. It is possible!! Lots of good teams left in the hunt!

buff4ever
11-28-2016, 01:51 PM
I will make a positive out of this situation. It can sometime be fun to play with all cards against you. You play with nothing to lose and hope for things to bounce your way.

The game must be played, there is a reason for that as well.

But there is no doubt that WOS has earned this respect, especially this year with this team and following last year.

OLE'BULL
11-28-2016, 01:54 PM
I've seen a couple posts mentioning "hype" recently. I figured I would post one of my favorite quotes from Boobie Miles, altered just a bit:

Downlow Posters:
Should we believe the hype?

Jack Dallas & WOS Defense:
What hype?

Downlow Posters:
The hype about Jack Dallas & the WOS Defense.

Jack Dallas & WOS Defense:
Now hype is something that's not for real. We are all real.

Believe me folks, they are for real. It's not just trash talkin' like old Boobie liked to do. Boobies' ending didn't pan out like it was supposed to, but unless it comes out that they have been playing an illegible player (yes, I'm still holding out hope) then WOS will be the 2016 state champs.

OLE'BULL
11-28-2016, 01:56 PM
I couldn't agree more buff4ever, I love an underdog. Classy post that was posted while I was still typing my not so classy post above, haha! I just had to sneak Friday Night Lights in there...

1st and goal
11-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Is Giddings the home team?

buff4ever
11-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Visitor

WOS87
11-28-2016, 10:00 PM
WOS has lost quite a few games they should have won. Paris 1988 and Ennis 2000 as enormous examples. It could happen again this year. You guys aren't making this any fun with the giving up and coronation talk. That makes me a little paranoid. Gilmer earned that win in 2014.

bobcat1
11-28-2016, 10:16 PM
What day is the Parade WOS?

buff4ever
11-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Dont worry wos87, no matter what anybody says, the buffs wont go down without a fight. You can count on that.

WOS87
11-28-2016, 10:53 PM

I'll pay for your ATT ticket and food if you make it there.

bobcat1
11-28-2016, 11:39 PM
I'll pay for your ATT ticket and food if you make it there.
LOL! No need my friend. I appreciate it though.

griff
11-29-2016, 12:11 AM

December 17 in Celina.

bobcat1
11-29-2016, 07:25 AM

December 17 in Celina.Thanks!

WOS1
11-29-2016, 03:49 PM
WOS has lost quite a few games they should have won. Paris 1988 and Ennis 2000 as enormous examples. It could happen again this year. You guys aren't making this any fun with the giving up and coronation talk. That makes me a little paranoid. Gilmer earned that win in 2014.

Well, as much as I'd like to agree with this, I do not (and neither did Cornel) think we should have won the game against Ennis. We knew they were going to be trouble. But, I'll swap that one with the 1998 Silsbee Bi-District and follow that up with the 1990 Bi-District against CE King. Both games we were overwhelming favorites and lost. CE King pretty convincingly.

WOS87
11-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Well, as much as I'd like to agree with this, I do not (and neither did Cornel) think we should have won the game against Ennis. We knew they were going to be trouble. But, I'll swap that one with the 1998 Silsbee Bi-District and follow that up with the 1990 Bi-District against CE King. Both games we were overwhelming favorites and lost. CE King pretty convincingly.

Add Huffman 2004 to that. The CE King years were miserable but what about TJ 1984? We beat West Brook then that. That one point would have changed the 5A State Championship that year. We'd have been in the playoffs.

Tejastrue
11-29-2016, 10:36 PM
How about 2005?

WOS87
11-29-2016, 11:09 PM
Wimberley kicked our butts that year. 52 points scored against remains the record 11 years later.

XX Man
11-30-2016, 08:22 AM

Home or visitor does not make any difference in these games

XX Man
11-30-2016, 08:25 AM
WOS just needs to keep their heads in the game and play hard nosed football, and not start celebrating early, as they did against Gilmer at the SC 2 years ago.

griff
11-30-2016, 08:42 AM
WOS just needs to keep their heads in the game and play hard nosed football, and not start celebrating early, as they did against Gilmer at the SC 2 years ago.

There goes your revisionist history again. That is not why we lost to Gilmer in 2014. You keep recycling this comment. Please give it a rest.

d0tc0m
11-30-2016, 09:01 AM
How about 2005?

Man, that was a good team.

1st and goal
11-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Weather forecast for Houston Friday evening.

Temps low 60's upper 50's, 80% chance of light rain, east winds of 15mph......

WOS87
11-30-2016, 09:53 PM
We're doomed!

WOS87
12-01-2016, 06:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4C7g-9g2fY

Some good games back then

Old Green
12-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Great video !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOS1
12-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Safe travels everyone!

Old Green
12-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Good luck to both teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buff4ever
12-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Good day for a buffalo win.

GUNHO
12-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Good day for a buffalo win.

No it ain't.lol
Wishing a safe trip and injury free game for all.

44INAROW
12-02-2016, 03:57 PM
safe travels to the Mustang and Buffalo fans... are y'all going to get wet? I haven't been keeping up with SE/Central Texas weather....

1st and goal
12-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Congrats to WOS! Your town has one dominant football team. Big time.