PDA

View Full Version : Lasers and Monday Night Football.......

Cam
11-23-2016, 10:31 PM
so I'm sure all ya'll saw it.....that eerie green light shining mostly on Texan players.....Greendawg thought he was hallucinatin' due to some bad beer......but it was there...we all saw it...............they were talkin' bout this incident on sports radio...the radio dude said, "it wasn't just an ordinary laser, it was a big laser!"......this statement is totally false!!!..I work with these things all the time..different types...Argon, Helium Neon, YAG, etc.....some are more harmful than others and are ranked by classifications just like high school football.......in other words, some lasers are capable of just pure annoyance and some lasers can burn a testicle off real easy.....in the case of the Mexico City game, it was just a dang laser pointer...a green one at that...also sometimes called a Greenie....which stands for a green He-Ne (Helium Neon)....anyways, let's probe further.....The term "laser" is just an acronym for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" The first laser was built in 1960 by Theodore H. Maiman at Hughes Research Laboratories.....this is the same guy who discovered it was possible to light a fart with a match...dude is a freakin' genius!.......A laser differs from other sources of light in that it emits light coherently......this is not the same as someone acting "coherently"......you cannot be a laser!......Spatial coherence allows a laser to be focused to a tight spot, enabling applications such as laser cutting and lithography. Spatial coherence also allows a laser beam to stay narrow over great distances....this is called collimation....not to be confused with colonoscopy.....let slingshot explain colonoscopy.......anyways....due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle ΔxΔp≳ℏ2ΔxΔp≳ℏ2, which I'm sure all of ya'll learned in elementary school.......one can't really make a quantum have zero momentum in any direction. So you can't say that photons go in the same direction....photons are them little light thingies...ya know, the fundamental particle of visible light..this is just a simplified description of laser operation. In reality, the thinner the beam, the higher the divergence....or how it spreads over distance.....this has nothin' to do with the movie "Divergent"....
....a green laser pointer and it's active material will have diameter of order of hundreds of micrometer, and the exiting beam will start from even smaller diameter for various reasons. The divergence is quite small.........if you remove the collimating lens, your light image from a green laser pointer will be several centimeters after the light goes several meters. Divergence angle would be ∼λ/d=532nm/100μm∼0.3∘∼λ/d=532nm/100μm∼0.3∘......again, something I'm sure ya'll learned in elementary school.......
In contrast, if you try doing the same with a red laser pointer, you'll see that its light diverges quite a lot.......after going several centimeters in direction of propagation, it'll already give the image of several centimeters. The reason for this is that active zone of diode laser has diameter of order of several micrometers. This makes output beam quite thin, making ΔxΔx small and thus ΔpΔp high, and this is what leads to high divergence. Divergence angle would be ∼λ/d=640nm/1μm∼40∘∼λ/d=640nm/1μm∼40∘. Actual angle would depend on which transverse direction you select, because active zone is ∼10×∼10× longer in one direction than in another.
In general, the thicker your starting laser beam, the more collimated it is, so if you manage to make a (visible wavelength) laser with beam starting at 1cm thickness, you'll have almost perfectly collimated laser beam.......But nevermind all that crap........the bottom line is.....from looking at the size of the spot of the beam shining on Osweiler.....I would guess the fella that was pointing it was somewhere up in the nosebleed sections.....I heard they were lookin' for him in the endzone.....like Trump says, "WRONG"!!!!........too bad I wasn't there......I would've caught the sonbitch.....oh, one final note.....an anonymous text was sent in to a Mexico City news station....the text claimed it was the disgruntled girlfriend of the laser pointing perpetrator.......turns out it was one of them German settlers from the town of San Miguel de Allende.....his name, Klaus Stefan Kruger Rodriguez..........just sayin'........:vrycnfsd::confused:

......this is all Greendawg's fault!......

1st and goal
11-24-2016, 10:33 AM
So can you hook me up with a has been laser engraver or cutter? I'm guessing by your post, that you have many, many old ones just lying around collecting dust. I promise not to intentionally shine it in anyone's eyes. :)

Rabid Cougar
11-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Sorry, I didn't get past "burn a testicle off easily". You're obviously are a real life "Leonard" . Do you have a "Penny" too?

panfan
11-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Sorry, I didn't get past "burn a testicle off easily". You're obviously are a real life "Leonard" . Do you have a "Penny" too?
No he is a walowitz

Cam
11-25-2016, 11:22 AM
So can you hook me up with a has been laser engraver or cutter? I'm guessing by your post, that you have many, many old ones just lying around collecting dust. I promise not to intentionally shine it in anyone's eyes. :)

....well no....we only have one engraver at the moment.....and it stays pretty busy....the other laser stuff can't leave the premises...we use them to test and kill things....you should see what happens to a dung beetle!........however, I do know a guy who has at least 3 cutters and he's for hire....mainly cuts acrylic and stuff.....

Cam
11-25-2016, 11:23 AM
No he is a walowitz

....it's Wolowitz....and I prefer Howard......

Cam
11-25-2016, 11:35 AM

....no Penny....but I do have a sausage dog.......

Rabid Cougar
11-25-2016, 01:04 PM
No he is a walowitz

Oh...... just an engineer.