PDA

View Full Version : Celina vs. Pleasant Grove

d0tc0m
11-21-2016, 10:53 AM
This game will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Mesquite Memorial Stadium. Celina has pretty good memories in Mesquite. And, boy, it sure is fun to be playing Thanksgiving Football yet again. The feeling just never gets old.

After a 1-5 (five straight losses) start to the year, this Pleasant Grove team seems to be clicking on all cylinders and peaking at the right time. With the big win last week, the Hawks have now won five in a row. They've also switched from a spread look at the start of the year to the old wing-T, and that move seems to have served them well. Watching them on film, they look physical and fairly athletic at most places. They don't look as big or as physical or as fast as Gladewater, to me, but I don't know how much that matters, as they did handle the Bears fairly easily in the regular season finale. Their offensive line looks to have decent size, and they block that wing-T scheme pretty efficiently. There are times that the holes for the backs are gaping, and that line does a good job of taking advantage of defenses that over-pursue, get too far upfield and/or make bad reads. The PG line could give Celina's undersized defensive line some fits, but I thought the same thing about Gladewater's offensive line, and Celina handled them pretty well. The Hawks' backs have good vision and serviceable speed. They're not burners, but they hit the hole well, and when they plant the foot and get to the second level, they're difficult to bring down. They run tough, and don't go down on first contact very much. Their passing game doesn't concern me a ton, but all it takes is one big completion to change the game, honestly, so you do have to honor the play-action attacks.

Defensively, they look to be pretty decent across the line, and the secondary, from what I've seen, makes good reads when the ball is in the air, and can create some turnovers. That said, I think Celina's big offensive line can chew up some ground and wear the Hawks down. And John Franklin will be the fastest person on the field on Friday. If he gets into the open field, which he should, I don't see anyone on Pleasant Grove being able to run him down.

The key for Celina this week will be winning the turnover battle. The game against Gladewater should have been a blowout, period. If you take away the turnovers, and take out all of Gladewater's first-half miscues as well, the game still isn't close. Celina dominated from the opening kickoff. Credit Gladewater for showing some of the most grit and fight I've seen from a HS team in a long time. They came back out in the second half and looked like a completely different team. Of the six Celina turnovers, some of them were great plays by the defense, but most were just flat out sloppy mistakes by Celina, and the Bobcats cannot afford that this week.

Celina needs to come out like they did in the first half against Gladewater, put Pleasant Grove in an early hole, and keep the Hawks trying to play comeback the entire night. And if they're able to get to that point, Celina needs to keep the foot on the freaking accelerator and not let up until the last of the 48 minutes runs out. I think the nailbiter against the Bears was the wake-up call the Bobcats needed.

Pleasant Grove is much, much better than their record indicates, and if you sleep on them, they'll run away and hide with this game. All things holding equal, I think Celina is the better team, and I expect them to come out and play that way on Friday.

Any of you east Texas folks, specifically Gilmer, have any more insight into the Hawks?

waterboy
11-21-2016, 11:25 AM
They are mentally tough and believe in themselves. They are good at taking you out of your game plan and slowing the game down a lot. They limit your possessions doing that, so it is imperative that you make the most out of each possession. They don't usually make many mistakes either.

Gladewater did what I was afraid they would do under the bright lights and big stage. They made a ton of mistakes early which got them behind the chains, prevented them from getting into a rhythm, and got them behind a bunch. I don't think you saw their best performance, but Celina won and that's what matters. I don't think Pleasant Grove will do that, but I do think Celina is the better team. I look for this game to be closer than the Gladewater game in the first half, but I see Celina probably pulling away a little in the second half.

Aesculus gilmus
11-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Our game with them is still online, I see. KLFI always does a very high-quality, professionally-done "Game of the Week" telecast at one of that area's schools every Friday night during the regular season.

I think I read that Pleasant Grove changed their offense after this game and they were pretty good even before they did that. So, I agree, don't sleep on them. They'll make you pay.

https://youtu.be/zxt60FLIuUs

d0tc0m
11-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Our game with them is still online, I see. KLFI always does a very high-quality, professionally-done "Game of the Week" telecast at one of that area's schools every Friday night during the regular season.

I think I read that Pleasant Grove changed their offense after this game and they were pretty good even before they did that. So, I agree, don't sleep on them. They'll make you pay.

https://youtu.be/zxt60FLIuUs

Yeah I watched most of that film. I can see why they switched to the wing-T, though. It appears to suit them and their athletes just a bit better. Not saying they were a bad team in that spread, but they're much more efficient running the wing-T, in my opinion. I don't think anyone from Celina will be sleeping on them. They handled Gladewater easily, and Celina had to score with seven seconds left to knock off the Bears. And no, their record isn't flashy, but if you look at what they've done during this five-game winning streak, it's pretty impressive.

During the first seven games of the season, the Hawks were scoring 25.8 points per game and giving up 25.5 points per game. Easy to see why they were in just about every game but not winning many. In its current five-game win streak, however, Pleasant Grove is outscoring opponents 35-16, and only one opponent (Gladewater) has even scored 20 points on them. That's a formula for success and a long playoff run. I think their defense may be tougher on Celina than even Gladewater was. The 300+ lb. big heavies up front are going to have to lean hard on that PG defensive line and wear them out.

I fully expect this to be a good game. I think Pleasant Grove will play a solid first half, grind out some long drives and get points, and maybe carry a lead into halftime. But I think Celina's depth, and the sheer tiring force of that offensive line just coming at you every single snap, will simply start to pay dividends late in the third and early fourth quarters. I see the Bobcats pulling away for maybe a one-score win.

Twirling Time
11-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Not all good memories for Celina at Memorial Stadium. Henderson sent Butch Ford into retirement there.

And PG's win over Gladewater is a little misleading. Gladewater was in already and had nothing to play for and PG was still on the playoff bubble and needed the win to finish ahead of Atlanta.

Aesculus gilmus
11-24-2016, 09:31 AM
The Celina O-line can only wear Pleasant Grove down if you have possession of the ball.

In that game above, I think Pleasant Grove controlled the ball for at least 75 percent of the time in the first three quarters.

If we had still had the quarterback from last year, we'd have lost to Pleasant Grove this year even as we nearly lost to them last year in bi-district.

d0tc0m
11-24-2016, 10:30 AM
The Celina O-line can only wear Pleasant Grove down if you have possession of the ball.

In that game above, I think Pleasant Grove controlled the ball for at least 75 percent of the time in the first three quarters.

If we had still had the quarterback from last year, we'd have lost to Pleasant Grove this year even as we nearly lost to them last year in bi-district.

Good thing Celina can play that brand of football, if needed.

d0tc0m
11-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Not all good memories for Celina at Memorial Stadium. Henderson sent Butch Ford into retirement there.

And PG's win over Gladewater is a little misleading. Gladewater was in already and had nothing to play for and PG was still on the playoff bubble and needed the win to finish ahead of Atlanta.

Ah. The good outweighs the bad.

WOS1
11-24-2016, 10:49 AM
I think celina survives one more round.

d0tc0m
11-24-2016, 11:28 AM
I think celina survives one more round.

WOS too.

d0tc0m
11-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Well, the last Texas HS game I was able to attend, I was fresh out of college and not even married. Now I'm on my way to the stadium, taking my 1-year old to his first Celina football game. Go Bobcats!

bobcat1
11-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Well, the last Texas HS game I was able to attend, I was fresh out of college and not even married. Now I'm on my way to the stadium, taking my 1-year old to his first Celina football game. Go Bobcats!
Awesome! Enjoy!

d0tc0m
11-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Well, the game went almost exactly how I thought it would. Pleasant Grove is a whole lot better than their final record (6-7) will show. The Hawks were the most physical/disciplined defense Celina has faced in a while - at least since WOS in the title game last year. PG made it tough for the Celina offense to move the ball consistently. And it seemed like every time we started moving the ball, we'd get a series of silly penalties and kill all momentum. The Bobcats defense came up with a huge pick-6 that ended up being the difference. Other than a big TD run late in the fourth, PG didn't have a ton of success running the ball on Celina. Their success came on two big pass plays, one of which was a TD after the defender slipped at the line of scrimmage. The other big pass play came on fourth down and set up an easy, short TD run. Celina finally started to run the ball at will on PG late in the fourth, when they needed to melt clock, and that was crucial.

Celina did not play great, but they played well enough, and the better team won, and this young team picked up some more valuable experience. Congrats on a great season, PG! I'm not sure how many they'll graduate, but the Hawks could make some noise next season.