PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Strong out at Texas?

slingshot
11-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Lost to Kansas. Gone is what I'm hearing?

lostaussie
11-19-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm not even a UT fan, but I feel bad for Charlie. I don't see how he survives this one.

Saggy Aggie
11-19-2016, 10:57 PM
That postgame press conference was extremely painful to watch

I actually felt bad for the guy

regaleagle
11-19-2016, 10:58 PM
He don't have my sympathy........he didn't move the team forward. I wasn't in favor of the choice in the first place. He'll land on his feet somewhere......somewhere else besides UT and the Big 12.

Rabid Cougar
11-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Meh. We have our own problems to deal with.

slingshot
11-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Hearing lots of rumors swirling in Raiderland too. Losing 66-10 to Iowa State and going a combined 12-24 in Big 12 play will do that...

hollywood
11-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Hearing lots of rumors swirling in Raiderland too. Losing 66-10 to Iowa State and going a combined 12-24 in Big 12 play will do that...

It's time. Anyone got an extra $9.4M laying around?

hookandladder
11-20-2016, 12:13 PM
I feel for Strong myself, he has been a great influence on my son the last three years. Every player on this team had his back , to bad it did not work out. We have made some lifetime memories , Hookem

Txbroadcaster
11-20-2016, 12:41 PM
I feel for Strong myself, he has been a great influence on my son the last three years. Every player on this team had his back , to bad it did not work out. We have made some lifetime memories , Hookem

The way they were on the sideline yesterday did not show they had his back...losing is one thing, looking like you do not care is another

Roughneck93
11-20-2016, 01:06 PM
That postgame press conference was extremely painful to watch

I actually felt bad for the guy

Same here.

slingshot
11-20-2016, 02:26 PM
It's time. Anyone got an extra $9.4M laying around?Maybe the prick who orchestrated the firing of Leach will ante up...

Scoop27
11-20-2016, 07:04 PM
November 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Report: Charlie Strong to be fired by Texas
AUSTIN — The Charlie Strong era at Texas is about to come to an end.
The Austin American-Statesman on Sunday cited a high-ranking source saying school officials had decided to fire Strong as football coach. Multiple school sources told the San Antonio Express-News they expected an announcement on Strong's firing by Monday morning, but could not confirm that a decision had been made.
University president Greg Fenves and athletic director Mike Perrin had planned to wait until after the regular season to make a decision or an announcement regarding Strong's future. But the Longhorns' shocking loss at Kansas – one of the worst teams in major college football – on Saturday made it clear Strong would not return for a fourth season.

regaleagle
11-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Well......I reckon so......as Clint Eastwood says.

NastySlot
11-20-2016, 08:05 PM
It's time. Anyone got an extra $9.4M laying around?

don't forget his assistants buyouts, the buyout for the new coach from his school he's at now to along with his salary which I won't be surprised will more than Strongs...and remember still paying over time on the last staff.

ronwx5x
11-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Maybe the prick who orchestrated the firing of Leach will ante up...Huskies are 8-3 and #1 in the PAC 12 North. Pullman Washington may be as or more remote and desolate as Lubbock!

Tejastrue
11-20-2016, 08:32 PM
I still think he needs one more year. He must have kicked off the the team at least 10 players for discipline and what have you in 2014. So many freshman and sophomores starting including the QB. What do we expect? Those young men looked defeated because they knew at that point they had let the coach down and even if they had held on the chances were slim for Strong to remain at UT. I believe next year would be or would have been the breakout season. It's a mistake to let him go. Okay, as someone else on here has said in the past repeatedly..fire away.

lostaussie
11-20-2016, 08:51 PM
I still think he needs one more year. He must have kicked off the the team at least 10 players for discipline and what have you in 2014. So many freshman and sophomores starting including the QB. What do we expect? Those young men looked defeated because they knew at that point they had let the coach down and even if they had held on the chances were slim for Strong to remain at UT. I believe next year would be or would have been the breakout season. It's a mistake to let him go. Okay, as someone else on here has said in the past repeatedly..fire away.

I agree 100%

Aesculus gilmus
11-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Speaking of Craig James, he just totally destroyed his TV career soon after that by not being "politically correct."

Plus, he ran for some statewide office (U.S. Senate?) and came in either last or close to it.

All this happened after he decided to take on Leach and get him fired over not playing his son. So Leach unleashed some karma on that mofo, it looks like.

Looks like James, who may or may not have killed five hookers while at SMU, already moved out of Celina. https://bustedcoverage.com/2014/10/06/craig-james-is-selling-his-texas-estate-with-14-5-acres-for-just-1800000/

As for the Texas deal, it'd be cheaper to have Red McCombs write a check to buy Strong out than what they're going to lose from all the empty seats and lost merchandise sales if they were to keep him one more year. He is ALREADY officially UT's version of OU's late 1990s catastrophe named Coach John Blake.

NastySlot
11-20-2016, 09:00 PM

Not a horn fan so I watch horn games with no alligence and an open mind. I agree with you talent is there and young. The move he has made with a power back like Foreman gives them a chance to win, I think they figured this out with the success they had in that swoopes short yardage package, B12 defenses are awful and can't tackle- Charle and his staff were on to something. They have a quarterback with a lot of promise and an OC in year one. Talent is there on defense also. The Horns were I believe in every game with the young talent they have and I to think next year was going to be Strongs breakout year. Strong is a good coach but unfortunely not a good fit for Texas because the job requires too much away from X's and O's and the poor guy had an up hill battle from day one with the powers to be.

Saggy Aggie
11-20-2016, 09:17 PM

I think they ought to keep him too..... hehe

Tejastrue
11-20-2016, 10:12 PM
I think they ought to keep him too..... hehe

Lol Saggy..you guys have your own problems.

Tejastrue
11-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Not a horn fan so I watch horn games with no alligence and an open mind. I agree with you talent is there and young. The move he has made with a power back like Foreman gives them a chance to win, I think they figured this out with the success they had in that swoopes short yardage package, B12 defenses are awful and can't tackle- Charle and his staff were on to something. They have a quarterback with a lot of promise and an OC in year one. Talent is there on defense also. The Horns were I believe in every game with the young talent they have and I to think next year was going to be Strongs breakout year. Strong is a good coach but unfortunely not a good fit for Texas because the job requires too much away from X's and O's and the poor guy had an up hill battle from day one with the powers to be.

I hear what you are saying Nasty and I don't disagree. Have I mentioned that Kansas has a very good coach now in Beaty?

NastySlot
11-20-2016, 11:11 PM
I hear what you are saying Nasty and I don't disagree. Have I mentioned that Kansas has a very good coach now in Beaty?

Beaty is a fine coach. He's doing a very good job considering what he has had to deal with the numbers he has to play with.

I remember Beaty playing at Garland High...I'm old

duckhunter
11-21-2016, 09:19 AM
I want to feel bad for him, but it is hard to when he gets caught cheating on his wife breaking his own "Core Value". I am not a big fan of coaches who don't practice what they preach. Especially something like that.

Not to mention he is getting paid. I would gladly be fired from my job for that kind of money.

Scoop27
11-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Charlie had a lot of things to say in his press conference today. Won't know until Frdiay after TCU game. Don't know if a win will keep him in place. Or depends if Horns get a bowl game

d0tc0m
11-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Charlie had a lot of things to say in his press conference today. Won't know until Frdiay after TCU game. Don't know if a win will keep him in place. Or depends if Horns get a bowl game

All reports are saying the decision has already been made. Strong is gone after the TCU game, regardless of outcome.

I wonder what effect this will have on Traylor. Any of you Gilmer folk have inside information?

slingshot
11-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Note to any top-flight coach considering the UT job: Know what you're getting into. Get a huge signing bonus up front and have an even bigger golden parachute/buyout for when they fire you after 2-3 years...

PurplePop
11-21-2016, 05:35 PM
I agree 100%

Me, too.

Aesculus gilmus
11-21-2016, 07:41 PM
All reports are saying the decision has already been made. Strong is gone after the TCU game, regardless of outcome.

I wonder what effect this will have on Traylor. Any of you Gilmer folk have inside information?

Traylor will go to another college job. He has said he will never coach at the high school level again unless it was here, but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.

Rumor I heard is he almost went to Missouri already. That's how he got a huge raise after a 5-7 season. That and his recruiting awards.

Incidentally, I love reading all the Aggies on here giving Strong a vote of confidence. Reminds me of when KState Coach Snyder told him "You da man" (or words to that effect) after the Wildcats' latest win over the 'Horns. What opponent wouldn't LOVE Charlie to stick around?

What is happening now is he's costing the program a lot of money. The empty seats and failure to sell season tickets are only going to get worse. The Longhorn swag is piling up on the shelves all over the country. This failure of sales and merchandising is going to cost them more than it would to have Red McCombs buy out his and his assistants' contracts.

hollywood
11-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Traylor will go to another college job. He has said he will never coach at the high school level again unless it was here, but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.

Rumor I heard is he almost went to Missouri already. That's how he got a huge raise after a 5-7 season. That and his recruiting awards.

Incidentally, I love reading all the Aggies on here giving Strong a vote of confidence. Reminds me of when KState Coach Snyder told him "You da man" (or words to that effect) after the Wildcats' latest win over the 'Horns. What opponent wouldn't LOVE Charlie to stick around?

What is happening now is he's costing the program a lot of money. The empty seats and failure to sell season tickets are only going to get worse. The Longhorn swag is piling up on the shelves all over the country. This failure of sales and merchandising is going to cost them more than it would to have Red McCombs buy out his and his assistants' contracts.

Great points Aesculus gilmus!

d0tc0m
11-22-2016, 09:06 AM

Good Lord, Traylor, don't go to Mizzou. That place is a bigger dumpster fire than Texas.

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Shine has worn off on Traylor with the special team fiascos. He might have to take a step and go small college if he wants to stay in college ball, not sure he will last even if Strong stays.

Weebe
11-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Shine has worn off on Traylor with the special team fiascos. He might have to take a step and go small college if he wants to stay in college ball, not sure he will last even if Strong stays.

I doubt Herman would want 2 high school coaches on his staff. He already has Meekins at UH. He owes him for landing Ed Oliver for him.

1st and goal
11-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Wonder how many players will bail if they let Strong go?

CP3Dad
11-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Huskies are 8-3 and #1 in the PAC 12 North. Pullman Washington may be as or more remote and desolate as Lubbock!

For the record, the Cougars play in Pullman. The Huskies are from Seattle.

hollywood
11-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Wonder how many players will bail if they let Strong go?

My guess is about as many movie stars that said they would move out of the country if Trump was elected President... that would be ZERO!

"Keep Austin Weird!"

LionFan72
11-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Somebody needs to write Charlie a goodbye song.......so long strong!!

mwrams
11-23-2016, 05:29 AM
As bad as I hate to say it.....but if the Horns want a winning team...then Art Briles is the man....

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2016, 06:02 AM
As bad as I hate to say it.....but if the Horns want a winning team...then Art Briles is the man....

No way in hades Texas takes him...and his reputation has taken a massive hit with TX HS coaches. Think Moms and Dads will want to hear his pitch in the living room?

Trashman
11-23-2016, 11:31 AM
This is crazy! Strong needs at least another year. Firing him now only starts the loosing process over....:twitch:

Scoop27
11-23-2016, 02:26 PM
There's a polka song that they play on the radio stations down here called "Hooray For Charlie" (He's A Real Fine Guy). Catchy song that is about a guy who loves polka music and drinking beer so we could sing Good Bye To Charlie-He's a real Bad Coach-LOL

zebrablue2
11-23-2016, 05:27 PM
This is crazy! Strong needs at least another year. Firing him now only starts the loosing process over....:twitch:

:iagree: Feel sorry for the guy, aside from the 10 mill TU will owe him. The next coach will step into a GOLD MINE of recruits, he has them set up...

Aesculus gilmus
11-23-2016, 05:59 PM
If you're a really good recruit, you can start as a freshman and be a difference maker. This goes double for sophomores.

If he really has a gold mine in those two classes, there is even less excuse for the record to date.

He is going to wind up with the worst losing percentage in the football program's history.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/charlie-strong-end-worst-losing-percentage-texas-history/

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2016, 06:45 PM
The dude just lost to Kansas in his third full year..... are we seriously saying he's about to turn the corner?

Weebe
11-24-2016, 01:51 AM
:iagree: Feel sorry for the guy, aside from the 10 mill TU will owe him. The next coach will step into a GOLD MINE of recruits, he has them set up...

Lol...Texas boosters set the next coach up.

Coaches with losing records don't pull top 10 classes without financial help from boosters.

Macarthur
11-24-2016, 11:02 AM
If you're a really good recruit, you can start as a freshman and be a difference maker. This goes double for sophomores.

If he really has a gold mine in those two classes, there is even less excuse for the record to date.

He is going to wind up with the worst losing percentage in the football program's history.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/charlie-strong-end-worst-losing-percentage-texas-history/

Newsflash. UT always recruits well.

Roughneck93
11-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Breaking: LSU could have a deal in place with Houston's Tom Herman as early as Saturday - hornsdigest.comvia @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Aesculus gilmus
11-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Newsflash. UT always recruits well.

True. I used to think Mack Brown didn't get much out of his recruits and others did, too. That's why he was called Mr. February.

Charlie Strong makes Mack look like the greatest football coach in the history of the game by comparison.

Tejastrue
11-24-2016, 09:24 PM
If somehow Strong survives..all you guys get back to me, same time..same location..next year.

Aesculus gilmus
11-24-2016, 09:53 PM
If somehow Strong survives..all you guys get back to me, same time..same location..next year.

http://abc13.com/sports/lsu-houston-coach-tom-herman-close-to-deal-per-sources/1624614/

He's going to survive, but it's going to cost that program WAY MORE in revenue over the next year than it would have to buy him out.

I am beginning to think Texas should drop out of the P5 and petition to join that conference SMU's in. MAYBE they'll be competitive in that one.

Tejastrue
11-24-2016, 10:12 PM
The Strong haters have no idea. As I said earlier..I believe next year is the break out season. There is so much of this now, now, now mentality.

Saggy Aggie
11-24-2016, 10:42 PM
The Strong haters have no idea. As I said earlier..I believe next year is the break out season. There is so much of this now, now, now mentality.

He just lost to 1-9 Kansas man.... I don't think anyone is demanding anything more than decency at this point. He hasn't even provided that in 3 years

Tejastrue
11-24-2016, 10:57 PM
The law of averages will eventually catch up at the most inopportune times. Unfortunately it is was at the expense of the UT program. Decency.. really?

https://youtu.be/0b-OHZI1Q5w

lostaussie
11-25-2016, 08:51 AM
If LSU hires Herman, Strong probably stays for another year. Herman may just be using LSU to get the anti upped because ESPN is reporting this morning that Texas is still in play.

Aesculus gilmus
11-25-2016, 09:17 AM
ESPN has been wrong so often recently that I tend to believe the opposite of what they report.

Here is a comparison of Strong's three seasons compared with Mack Brown's first three.

Brown inherited a 4-7 team from the fired John Mackovic. He then went 9-3 in 1998, 9-5 in 1999 and 9-3 in 2000.

Strong inherited an 8-5 team from Brown. So far he has gone 6-7, 5-7 and 5-6.

You don't do that at a program with the pressure and pedigree of the Texas one and expect to make it to the fourth year.

If he does, it has something to do with being "politically correct" toward him. There, I said it.

hollywood
11-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Strong is going to be gone. Who will Texas hire to replace? That's the question obviously. But this scenario has been mucked up from the start of the reports of who would replace him. Herman has been the front runner on who Texas would hire from what the reports have stated. Remember how everyone was surprised on the hire of Strong? Who knows who it will be... I'm sure it'll be another surprise. Hopefully Texas will get it right this time. When Texas is playing well, the Big 12 is better.

Macarthur
11-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Strong is going to be gone. Who will Texas hire to replace? That's the question obviously. But this scenario has been mucked up from the start of the reports of who would replace him. Herman has been the front runner on who Texas would hire from what the reports have stated. Remember how everyone was surprised on the hire of Strong? Who knows who it will be... I'm sure it'll be another surprise. Hopefully Texas will get it right this time. When Texas is playing well, the Big 12 is better.

If Texas were smart, they wouldn't panic about Herman going lsu. Just take a deep breath and go get Chad Morris.

I'm not convinced Chad Morris isn't a better coach than Herman. He is revered in Texas HS football. He's a tireless recruiter. He is a damn good coach. If you don't think so, just know that he has SMU on the verge of bowl eligibility. That is damn near a miracle, if you ask me.

I think Morris should stay out for now. He will have a chance a a bigger job and won't have to deal w the mess in Waco.

Tejastrue
11-25-2016, 11:12 AM
I believe June Jones did the bowl thing 3 or 4 times with SMU from 2008-2014.

slingshot
11-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Strong is going to be gone. Who will Texas hire to replace? That's the question obviously. But this scenario has been mucked up from the start of the reports of who would replace him. Herman has been the front runner on who Texas would hire from what the reports have stated. Remember how everyone was surprised on the hire of Strong? Who knows who it will be... I'm sure it'll be another surprise. Hopefully Texas will get it right this time. When Texas is playing well, the Big 12 is better.This. Sad to see the entire program at Texas being run by people with no athletic background. I appreciate the importance of academics but come on...

regaleagle
11-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Let's see how the Cougars perform today against a very good Memphis team with all this hullabuloo interceding this week's big game. The Cougars must be some kind of minor league training ground for quality coaches going to the majors, haha.

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Reports: Texas to fire Charlie Strong Sat., turn focus to Tom Herman
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/25/reports-texas-to-fire-charlie-strong-sat-turn-focus-to-tom-herman/

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 08:59 AM
ESPN reporting Ed Orgeron to be named permanent HC at LSU.

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Ed Orgeron will reportedly be named LSU’s HC Sat. afternoon
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/26/ed-orgeron-will-reportedly-be-named-lsus-hc-sat-afternoon/

lostaussie
11-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Orgeron to LSU bodes bad for Charlie

Macarthur
11-26-2016, 10:31 AM
I believe June Jones did the bowl thing 3 or 4 times with SMU from 2008-2014.

The roster was a joke when Morris got there and he lost his starting QB. He has done a fantastic job.

The dude is loved by HS coaches and can flat out coach. I hope he doesn't go to Baylor because I think here's still a lot of crap to come down w Baylor and he could find himself in a situation w some NCAA sanctions. He would be best to sit for another year.

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 10:40 AM
It's official....

Texas has officially dismissed coach Charlie Strong after three seasons. Texas AD Mik… http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0594189463047904797-4 via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Saggy Aggie
11-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Tom Herman looked like a much better hire a couple weeks ago. He's now lost 3 games he was favored to win to Navy, SMU, and Memphis....

Funny how Sumlin has 4 losses in a much tougher conference and is on the hot seat, while Herman gets his pick between LSU and Texas. Hmmm

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 11:12 AM
AD Mike Perrin...

“Decisions like this are tough to make,” the AD’s statement began. “The responsibility is not taken lightly. I became friends with Charlie Strong before becoming Athletics Director. I have the utmost personal respect for him. His impact on college athletics and student-athletes should be celebrated. Coach Strong represented The University of Texas with class and dignity, and he demanded our student-athletes do the same by adhering to his system of core values.

“However, after thorough evaluation, the body of work over three seasons has not shown the improvement we were hoping for. This was an important year for our program to take the next step, and the results simply aren’t there, so we’ve decided to make a change. We appreciate Coach Strong so much, are grateful for all he has done with our program and wish him the best in the future.”

Texas officially announces dismissal of Charlie Strong
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/26/texas-officially-announces-dismissal-of-charlie-strong/

Macarthur
11-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Tom Herman looked like a much better hire a couple weeks ago. He's now lost 3 games he was favored to win to Navy, SMU, and Memphis....

Funny how Sumlin has 4 losses in a much tougher conference and is on the hot seat, while Herman gets his pick between LSU and Texas. Hmmm

Yeah, I think there is an enormous amount of risk w Herman. He may end up great, but he has had some unexplainable hiccups.

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 11:33 AM
ESPN CollegeFootball ‏@ESPNCFB
BREAKING: Texas will hire Houston's Tom Herman as its next head coach, and a release is expected early Saturday afternoon, per @CFBHeather.

Gontex
11-26-2016, 12:50 PM
If the players really felt that strongly about Coach Strong, seems like there were a few times where a little extra effort would have helped. Losing to Kansas this year, losing to TCU last evening the way they did and getting shut out by I-State last years are just not good ways to cement a job. It was time for Coach to go. I think he knew it as well.

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Herman has a winning pedigree.....despite a few hiccups this season. All three losses were late in the game. Yesterday's loss was understandable and still Houston came back and just lost it at the very end. I think this will prove to be a very good hire for the Horns.....JMO. Texas is absolutely loaded with talent and has all kinds of advantages that UH cannot touch. And look what Herman was able to accomplish there. And now he has a chance at some of those Houston area recruits.

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 03:29 PM
I wonder if UH will promote Major Applewhite from OC to Head Coach now........my wife always called him "Opie" when he was QB at Texas, LOL. She thought he looked like Opie on the Andy Griffith Show, hahaha.

Macarthur
11-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Herman has a winning pedigree.....despite a few hiccups this season. All three losses were late in the game. Yesterday's loss was understandable and still Houston came back and just lost it at the very end. I think this will prove to be a very good hire for the Horns.....JMO. Texas is absolutely loaded with talent and has all kinds of advantages that UH cannot touch. And look what Herman was able to accomplish there. And now he has a chance at some of those Houston area recruits.

UT does have talent but they still have a ? At QB, imo. That was the biggest issue w strong imo. You have to score points in the big 12.

Beuchele is small. And hermans system relies on a running QB. That has to be a concern for Herman.

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Houston issues statement addressing Tom Herman’s departure
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/26/houston-issues-statement-addressing-tom-hermans-departure/

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 04:30 PM
UT does have talent but they still have a ? At QB, imo. That was the biggest issue w strong imo. You have to score points in the big 12.

Beuchele is small. And hermans system relies on a running QB. That has to be a concern for Herman.
Kyle Allen to Texas??

Report: Houston QB Kyle Allen could follow Tom Herman to Texas
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/26/report-houston-qb-kyle-allen-could-follow-tom-herman-to-texas/

Roughneck93
11-26-2016, 05:32 PM
It's official....

“I’m thrilled to have Tom Herman joining us as our head football coach,” athletic director Mike Perrin said. “I am impressed with his insights on college sports, football and academic success, and his philosophy of developing the student-athlete into the complete person. He clearly has a passion and respect for the game of football, and also, a passion for teaching young men the game and the life lessons that come with that.”

“In Tom Herman, Longhorn football is getting a proven competitor, terrific recruiter, and committed mentor of student-athletes who has shown his ability to succeed at all levels,” UT president Gregory L. Fenves said. “Tom was the hottest young head coach in the country the past two seasons, and I am thrilled we are able to get him back to UT to lead Texas football.”

Eyes of Texas on Tom Herman as ‘Horns hire Cougars coach
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/26/eyes-of-texas-on-tom-herman-as-horns-hire-cougars-coach/

Macarthur
11-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Kyle Allen to Texas??

Report: Houston QB Kyle Allen could follow Tom Herman to Texas
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/26/report-houston-qb-kyle-allen-could-follow-tom-herman-to-texas/

Would be a nice option for them. Beuchele needs to RS and put on 15lbs. Kid got really beat up this year.

Allen has a legit NFL arm. Just not sure if he's got it upstairs.

regaleagle
11-26-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm going on record right now predicting a very successful season next year in Herman's first year, and back to prominence nationally thereafter. I just have a very good feeling about this hire......he's got that "win, but win clean" factor that Texas sorely needs. I think the Horns found their man to lead the football program for years to come.

LionFan72
11-28-2016, 12:38 PM
I'm going on record right now predicting a very successful season next year in Herman's first year, and back to prominence nationally thereafter. I just have a very good feeling about this hire......he's got that "win, but win clean" factor that Texas sorely needs. I think the Horns found their man to lead the football program for years to come.

I personally am not sold on Herman, he will surely be a better hire than strong was! In the pressure cooker at UT, things happen! Herman is a good coach, but the pressure cooker is already whistling. He has the talent, and young talent at that, should make an easier transition. I can see an 8 win season, and a great recruiting class coming in! Good luck to Herman, with a little luck and hard work, the job will last as long as he coaches.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2016, 01:14 PM

Greg Ward Jr is 5'10 174 as a SR

Buchele is 6'1 195 as a Fresh

size is not even close to the issue..can he handle the athleticism part of the new season will be

waterboy
11-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Are there any really good dual-threat QBs in the Houston area at the high school level this year? He's good at recruiting that area. I'm curious if there are any really high quality dual threat QBs coming out of any Texas high school this coming season. A Vince Young type would be very good. :D

jason
11-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Are there any really good dual-threat QBs in the Houston area at the high school level this year? He's good at recruiting that area. I'm curious if there are any really high quality dual threat QBs coming out of any Texas high school this coming season. A Vince Young type would be very good. :D
if he were smart, his first call would be to jarrett stidham...

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2016, 02:36 PM
if he were smart, his first call would be to jarrett stidham...

That rumor is already out there

jason
11-28-2016, 02:46 PM
That rumor is already out there
yeah, we'll see....:1popcorn:

hookandladder
11-28-2016, 02:48 PM

size is not even close to the issue..can he handle the athleticism part of the new season will be

Buchele is not even close to 6'1, in boots he may be 6' and that's a fact jack.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Buchele is not even close to 6'1, in boots he may be 6' and that's a fact jack.

I am a shade under 6'1 and when I stood by him his sr year he was just a bit taller than me.

Also he was measured at Elite 11 camp...they do not fudge numbers like schools do good and bad.

hookandladder
11-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I am a shade under 6'1 and when I stood by him his sr year he was just a bit taller than me.

Also he was measured at Elite 11 camp...they do not fudge numbers like schools do good and bad.

I am 6'1 and I stood next to him on the field last Friday along with my son, definitely nowhere near as tall as me. Maybe I have shrunk, LOL.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2016, 05:23 PM
I am 6'1 and I stood next to him on the field last Friday along with my son, definitely nowhere near as tall as me. Maybe I have shrunk, LOL.

LOL old fart

Macarthur
11-28-2016, 08:49 PM

Yeah, shocker, I agree w hook. Beuchele is small.

And I think my point still holds because ward was dinged up all season. That offense requires a threat by the QB. Ward was much more shifty than beuchele and got banged up.

Macarthur
11-28-2016, 08:52 PM
The Robinson kid from Desoto is perfect for hermans system.

But you can't have him cause he's going to TCU! :tongue:

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Yeah, shocker, I agree w hook. Beuchele is small.

And I think my point still holds because ward was dinged up all season. That offense requires a threat by the QB. Ward was much more shifty than beuchele and got banged up.

Like I said..athleticism will be the issue not size. Ward is a mighty mite who can move, not sure Buchele can but he did run a ton in HS against 6A teams

Macarthur
11-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Like I said..athleticism will be the issue not size. Ward is a mighty mite who can move, not sure Buchele can but he did run a ton in HS against 6A teams

Not trying to be argumentative, but I think if Herman uses Beuchele the same way he did Ward, he will not finish the season next year. Remember back to the QBs he had at Ohio State. I think the 6'1" 210+lbs is much more in the mold of what he needs. The new kid coming in, Ehlinger, is actually more in that mold. HE's already over 200lbs.