PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Sweeny-Navarro Game Story

Scoop27
11-19-2016, 01:35 PM
By Joel Luna
Brazosport Facts

HALLETSVILLE — Known for a three-headed running attack, the Navarro Panthers also displayed a pretty good defense.

Limiting the Sweeny Bulldog offense to just 65 total yards, the Panthers ran away with the Class 4A Division II Region IV area matchup, 42-0 Friday night at Brahma Stadium.

There was just no breathing room for a Bulldog offense, which threw just about everything it had in its arsenal at Navarro.

“It was tough and I knew they were good, but they just played so well over there. The way they ran to the ball and their defense — wow,” Sweeny coach Randy Lynch said.

“Their defense is special and they are a good football team. They executed about as well as they could. The credit goes to them — they flat-out whooped us.”

This was the first ever meeting between both programs as the No. 2 ranked Panthers (12-0) continue on to face Wharton, who eliminated Hondo in the quarterfinals, next week.

Under the direction of Lynch in his first year at the helm, the Bulldogs finish the season 7-5.

Sweeny’s deepest penetration to the Panther side of the field was the 47-yard line.

“We tried everything,” Lynch said. “We tried the run game, we tried the spread game, we tried the pass game, we tried to find something that would get us going. It was tough sledding. There were a lot of three-and-outs from our part, but they were just a much better football team than we were.”

It took Navarro less than two minutes into the game to get on the board with Jared Leal scoring on a 12-yard run to make it 7-0.

The Sweeny defense made a big stop on Navarro’s second drive as it held at its own 1-yard line, shutting down Tanner Law just short of the end zone.

It looked like a big confidence boost for the team.

“That was big, because it was still a one-score game and there were some plays here and there, but you have to give them credit,” Lynch said.

“We thought we had a fumble and they ended up scoring off of that. Defensively our kids played hard, but their offense is tough to stop.”

After that goal line stand, the Panthers came right back covering 60 yards on nine plays with Jake Wright slicing up the defense on an 8-yard score to make it 14-0 with 7:04 to play in the second period. Law did score before halftime to give the Panthers a 21-0 lead heading into the half.

For Navarro, it was tough to stop those three seniors in the back field as Wright (13-92 yards), Law (10-66) and Leal (9-56) led the way in that first half.

“We’ve been running that slot-T for a while and this senior class is pretty strong,” Navarro coach Les Goad said. “This senior class, we are going to miss them next year, but this year we are going to enjoy them.”

Whatever adjustments the Bulldogs tried making at halftime in hopes of rekindling the magic of last week’s second half performance against Port Isabel just didn’t work. Sweeny was held to just 7 yards of offense in the second half.

“They just swarm, Jake Wright and Ty Shelton my two linebackers are just unbelievable,” Goad said.

“I can’t say enough about the way they’ve played and not only this year, but ever since they’ve been on the varsity.”

For the Bulldogs, 18 seniors will be gone next season.

“We didn’t start the year like we wanted to, but the kids kept working and grinding and were 10 points away from a district championship,” Lynch said. “Our kids kept getting better each week but we ran into a great ball club tonight.

“I am proud of our seniors, they’ve been through some transitions the last couple of years and have had to adjust so credit goes to them, and like I told them, they set a good example for the young guys.”

Navarro finished with 374 yards on the ground and 420 total for the game.

bag-o-chips
11-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Sweeny was huge but the defense is very undisciplined and the oline just could not move fast enough to block our defense.

10ForTheWin
11-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Numbers were a bit off there, but still a good read, Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogs_21
11-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Not the old Sweeny teams from the past. Heard they have some good jr high classes we shall see how they could be in a few years.