View Full Version : Gilmer & Jasper Friday...doesn't get much better

buckeyebob
11-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Just in:

6PM

Friday Night

Trinity Mother Francis

Tyler

Buckeyes on the west side (Home Away From Home)

lostaussie
11-23-2016, 11:12 AM
There's just not football talk around this place anymore. That's to bad.

slingshot
11-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Nah. Everyone is on SnapTwit or whatever...

slingshot
11-23-2016, 11:18 AM
BTW--Gilmer by 21...

d0tc0m
11-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Jasper is a team that doesn't really jump out at you. There's no real 'wow' factor with them. They don't run a flashy offense, their stats aren't super gaudy, they have good speed but not elite speed, good athletes but not great athletes. And yet, somehow, I think they can make this a game, at least for a half, maybe three quarters, possibly longer if the turnover bug hits Gilmer. Jasper runs the ball well, the line does a good job up front, and the backs have pretty good vision. They play physical, which could give the Buckeyes fits early on. Throw in the history between these two teams, and you've got a Thanksgiving weekend treat.

When all is said and done, though, Gilmer - as they say - is gonna Gilmer. The Buckeyes are just too explosive on offense, in my opinion. And even if Jasper found a way to score 50 points (which they won't), Gilmer would find a way to score 51. The Buckeyes' defense, as porous as it has been at times, just has a knack for making a key stop or forcing a turnover in big moments. Jasper can't overcome that. They can't win a shootout with the Buckeyes.

This one is close for a bit. But Gilmer wins going away with it in the fourth. I'll take the Buckeyes by 3+ scores.

d0tc0m
11-23-2016, 12:19 PM
There's just not football talk around this place anymore. That's to bad.

The Golden Years have passed us by, that's for sure. But there's still some good ones on here.

44INAROW
11-23-2016, 12:26 PM
The Golden Years have passed us by, that's for sure. But there's still some good ones on here.

I agree - there was a time we'd damn near have snap chat on the 3Adownlow :)

d0tc0m
11-23-2016, 02:03 PM
I agree - there was a time we'd damn near have snap chat on the 3Adownlow :)

Man, the chat room back then was great. We should bring it back.

waterboy
11-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Yep, this place ain't nearly as lively as it used to be.

As to this game, I like what I saw from our defense last week. They showed some real fire and desire. They have gotten better as the season has gone along, but that "fire" seemed like it wasn't there. The offense made probably the fewest mistakes they've made all year last week, and if that trend continues I like our chances the rest of the way.

Jasper is obviously no slouch. You don't get three rounds deep into the playoffs without having a good team. Their offense and defense will be much better than what we saw last week. The Buckeyes just have to play with fire on defense, and focused on offense, and keep mistakes to a minimum. I think they will, and if they do, we will win. I won't even prognosticate any kind of score, but I think we will be at least 1 point better, and that's all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

bobcat1
11-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Gilmer by 20+

Dawgs
11-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Pulling for Gilmer and Celina. I want to see a rematch between these 2 teams.

bobcat1
11-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Pulling for Gilmer and Celina. I want to see a rematch between these 2 teams.
I would too.

lostaussie
11-23-2016, 10:54 PM
I would too.

We don't lose twice in a row #unfinishedbuisness

bobcat1
11-24-2016, 12:18 AM
We don't lose twice in a row #unfinishedbuisnessReally? I guess Celina will be doomed if they make it to that game. Pleasant Grove first. Then Glimer or dare I say it Jasper??

cowboyandchrist
11-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Really? I guess Celina will be doomed if they make it to that game. Pleasant Grove first. Then Glimer or dare I say it Jasper??

I learned a long time ago, never bet against Gilmer in the playoffs (except against my C Dawgs).
I say Gilmer wins unless Jasper has 11 defensive backs on the field. Gilmer is a passing machine with young men that can fly.
Speed from the East fits Gilmer like a glove. I think their D has gotten better and plays well enough to let the offense stay one or two touchdowns ahead of who ever they play until they get to WOS. When and if those two meet it will be steel wall defense against a scoring machine offense.
God Bless coaches, players, and fans. I pray no injuries and good game.

poisoned10
11-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Really? I guess Celina will be doomed if they make it to that game. Pleasant Grove first. Then Glimer or dare I say it Jasper??

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there are only a small number of teams that have beat Gilmer multiple times since 2000 (Argyle, Carthage, Kilgore and Daingerfield are all I remember off the top of my head). Of those, I believe Argyle is the only team to beat Gilmer in consecutive meetings.

I'm sure there are 1 or 2 teams I'm missing somewhere. Tatum may have a couple of wins on us and that may be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XX Man
11-25-2016, 08:59 PM
If Gilmer and WOS meet again, WOS will win. I am still shaking my head that they blew it to first time. Gilmer put their head down and never gave up, while WOS was doing an early celebration, which was a mistake.

lostaussie
11-25-2016, 10:12 PM
If Gilmer and WOS meet again, WOS will win. I am still shaking my head that they blew it to first time. Gilmer put their head down and never gave up, while WOS was doing an early celebration, which was a mistake.

Lots water still has to go under the bridge before that happens

XX Man
11-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Nawwwww. (WOS is never short of confidence!)

Gilmer beat Jasper tonight,

WOS87
11-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Nawwwww. (WOS is never short of confidence!)

Gilmer beat Jasper tonight,

Ummm... Don't listen to him. YES! We are! ....mumbles

*glares at XX Man*

WOS87
11-25-2016, 11:36 PM
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there are only a small number of teams that have beat Gilmer multiple times since 2000 (Argyle, Carthage, Kilgore and Daingerfield are all I remember off the top of my head). Of those, I believe Argyle is the only team to beat Gilmer in consecutive meetings.

I'm sure there are 1 or 2 teams I'm missing somewhere. Tatum may have a couple of wins on us and that may be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And look at Argyle tonight. The only school WOS went 0-3 against to start a series was against a State Finalist La Marque in '93, and two State Champions from La Marque in '95 and '97. We got our revenge in 2000 and 2014.