PDA

View Full Version : Former East Bernard coach Jerry Long resigns from Corpus Christy Mary Carroll

Scoop27
11-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Carroll's Long resigns after 1 season
Quinton Martinez , Corpus Christi Caller-Times 9:14 p.m. CST November 15, 2016

(Photo: Micah DeBenedetto/Special to the Caller-Times)
14 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Four days after Carroll lost to Eagle Pass Winn in the Class 5A bi-district playoffs, Corpus Christi ISD unexpectedly announced that Tigers’ head football coach Jerry Long resigned Tuesday.

Carroll went 5-6 in Long’s only season at the helm, qualifying for the playoffs in the 11-team District 30-5A.

The district’s news release said Long cited family and personal reasons for his resignation. The release also stated Tuesday afternoon that he had not turned in his formal resignation. His contract was set to expire in June of 2017, the release also stated.

“We respect the Long’s family privacy and thank coach Long for his service to the district,” superintendent Roland Hernandez said in the news release. “His passion for working with young athletes has been a tremendous asset to our community. We wish him well as he moves on in his career.”

In 12 seasons as a head coach, Long has compiled a career mark of 107-40-0 at Woodsboro, East Bernard and Carroll.

The 2016 season was the third losing season of his career.

Long guided East Bernard to a Class 3A state championship in 2012 and was one of two coaches with state titles to join 30-5A schools during the offseason as Rick Rhoades of Gregory-Portland was the other.

Long replaced Tony Trevino, who resigned in March to become athletic director at San Antonio East Central. Trevino was 25-28 in five seasons and won district championships in each of his last two seasons.

Attempts to contact Long and CCISD athletic director Brenda Marshall were unsuccessful on Tuesday.

Long's son, Thomas, was a junior quarterback for the Tigers this season.

XMan
11-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Coach Long is a fantastic football coach. He did wonders with football while at East Bernard. I dont know anything about the situation but I could see him running the slot T, having his son at qb, and the way he handles non-football sports/athletes being a problem at CC Carroll. I hope he lands on a feet at a place that is a better fit for him. Best of luck to all involved.

duckhunter
11-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Coach Long is a fantastic football coach. He did wonders with football while at East Bernard. I dont know anything about the situation but I could see him running the slot T, having his son at qb, and the way he handles non-football sports/athletes being a problem at CC Carroll. I hope he lands on a feet at a place that is a better fit for him. Best of luck to all involved.

he might be heading back towards EB and making a stop in Austin County?

XMan
11-16-2016, 03:05 PM
He would be a great fit in Sealy. They are all football, all the time, and dont really care about the other sports. i could see this working. Not sure Sealy folks would accept running the same offense as the red and white across the creek though.

Weebe
11-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Didn't take him very long to figure out that he had better athletes at 3a East Bernard than he had at 5a Carroll.

Was a bad move from the beginning.

Yoe_09
11-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Didn't take him very long to figure out that he had better athletes at 3a East Bernard than he had at 5a Carroll.

Was a bad move from the beginning.

Just like moving from Cameron to Gregory-Portland. It wasn't for wins.

Weebe
11-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Just like moving from Cameron to Gregory-Portland. It wasn't for wins.

They essentially accepted a demotion to junior high football to make more money.

Yoe_09
11-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Had Rhoades stayed in Cameron, he had potential to win multiple state championships on top of the 3 he had already won. Had we won the state game last year, he probably never leaves with five in a row and the record up next. Many will say the same about York when he left in the 80s.

However, I can't blame him. He was in the window where increasing his income would benefit him for retirement, and GP was not going to be a stressful situation. Not sure if that was the case with Long or not.

bluecat
11-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Had Rhoades stayed in Cameron, he had potential to win multiple state championships on top of the 3 he had already won. Had we won the state game last year, he probably never leaves with five in a row and the record up next. Many will say the same about York when he left in the 80s.

However, I can't blame him. He was in the window where increasing his income would benefit him for retirement, and GP was not going to be a stressful situation. Not sure if that was the case with Long or not.

The situation with Jerry Long is completely different with Rhoades. Jerry made a mistake by choosing Carroll because the players dont have the attitude to be successful, poor support by the parents and students and a multi school administration that has always not supported their coaches.

Rick knew exactly what kind of team he would have this year but hes got a good group coming up and this will basically be his first Rhoades era team next year.
Rick has 100% control over all aspects of athletics at GP. He brought in every coach he wanted and retained a few and most important he has very good relations with the admimistration and school board.
That is totally opposite of what Jerry Long walked into. Jerry wanted the GP job and then applied at Carroll when Rick was chosen. Who knows Jerry just might be welcomed back to GP as a coordinator??

XMan
11-19-2016, 12:18 AM
I would argue that at a large number of 4A and smaller schools that the AD is the 2nd most powerful person in the school district behind the supt. At larger schools, especially those with multiple schools withing the district, this is not the case. Small school ADs can pretty much have control over just about everything and determine how things go. Its tough for these guys to go to a bigger school and not have the same amount of power. Small school guys are not used to being told "no". (see fedora) Also, at small schools, football is still to a large extent "the thing to do". You have a high percentage of male students that play football/sports. Again, not so much at the larger schools. Best of luck to coach Long, he will land on his feet.